Index Astartes: Lords of Dusk

QUOTE (NightrawenII @ Jan 14 2011, 04:59 PM) *

*Waits in silence for the day, when someone made a Japanese-themed Chapter without obvious rip-offs like samurai, ashigaru, ninja's and katana's.*

..... after 50 years of patient waiting, NightrawenII died with his wish unfulfilled. unsure.gif

This has inspired me to start the outline of another DIY Chapter. Already had a name worked out.

Origins

[/dropcap]- 8 th Founding

- history of turmoil on their home world

Home World

T
he planet of Houseki is rim ward of the Maelstrom and was brought into compliance during the Great Crusades by forces of the Ultramarines. At the time of the Eighth Founding the culture was barely at the black powder level of technology. Because of the multiple feuding clans present on the planet’s primary continent it was deemed a worthy home world to a new Astartes Chapter.

Shortly after the time of compliance the leading Warlord arranged the wedding of his eldest daughter to the newly established planetary governor. This alliance would establish a dynasty which would have far reaching consequences for Houseki and the Lords of Dusk. During the millennia leading up to the founding of the Lords the Divine Emperor of Houseki and his royal family were making inroads on unifying the five continents of the planet.

As the Chapter was established the efficiency of Guilliman’s sons would greatly alter the infrastructure of the planet. As the Ultramarine training cadre prepared the fledgling Chapter for its duties around the Maelstrom they also turned the planet Houseki into a miniature version of the utopia of Ultramar. In one hundred years of the Chapter’s presence Houseki was above the Imperial standard for planetary tithes and production.

The Culture of Houseki is strictly caste based with transgressions punished by mutilation and death. The society is divided into “Untouchables”, workers, artists, warriors, and the royals in ascending order. The Lords recruit from the warrior and royal caste. The warrior caste is the source of the Planetary Defense Force and the one Imperial Guard Regiment recruited from the planet. All children of royal blood train with the warrior caste until adulthood.

The head of the Royal family bears the terrestrial title of Divine Ruler Roiyaru and the Imperial title of Planetary Governor. The “divine emperor” assists the Chapter Regent in the ruling of the planet and is usually a distant descendent of the same.

Combat Doctrine

- honor is part of their fighting style (I will elaborate more)

- will not kill lesser foes when they run

- primarily foot sloggers

Organization

- initially codex adherent

- 10th company organization and mission changed due to turmoil on Homeworld

- scouts serve as elite riot control (space marine from this Chapter are the only people not afraid of the royal family)

- Chaplains are organic to their companies

- less than 10 suits of TDA, worn by the Chapter Master, Master of Sanctity, and the Company Masters of the Battle companies.

Beliefs

W
hile descended directly from the Ultramarines the Lords of Dusk has been greatly influenced by the culture of their Home world. The rank of Captain within the Chapter is most often attained by an Astarte that has a hereditary link to the royal family of <planet name>. This biased practice has only secured the royal families hold on the planetary leadership.

This conditioning only provides a basis as all brothers from the newest scout to the oldest Warrior Priest is expected to perfect this craft as they age. The Lords place as much emphasis on a Marine’s artistic ability as his martial prowess in warfare. By the time a Scout is ready to become a full Battle brother he is expected to have crafted his own masterpiece.

The Lords of Dusk adhere to a strict code of honor both as a Chapter and as individuals. Their code is so rigidly upheld that they will challenge the Marines of other Chapters to honor duel over the most insignificant slight. The Lords code prevents them from destroying a weakened foe that can no longer fight. This practice causes its own upheaval when the Lords block other forces from chasing down the enemies of the Emperor. The only exception allowed to this tenant of their code is in the pursuit of Chaos.

When a company commander determines that his honor has been irrevocably marred, he will take his company on a death quest. This quest will bring the company into conflict with increasingly larger numbers of foes until the company is wiped out or the company master falls. At this time a new Captain is raised and the Company returns to <planet name>. This practice is repeated at all levels of the command structure from the individual to the Chapter Master.

Gene-seed

- Ultramarines

- no mutation

War Cry

[dropcap]

- no idea

gallery_48251_5687_52481.jpg

better view of the halved scheme

gallery_48251_5687_16710.jpg

C & C Welcome

if you do vulcan or dorn geneseed, automatically there will be mutation. meaning udner dorn betchers gland will be missing and under vulcan you get black onyx skin with red eyes. if you dont want mutations, go with the Ultramarines.

- will not kill lesser foes when they run

So there's a whole rule you have to ignore.

- Chaplains and Techmarines are organic to their companies

Chaplains make sense, but I feel the Techmarines really need to be central to the chapter. There aren't a lot of them, and their job is too important.

thinking Salamanders, Imperial Fists, or Ultramarines. leaning more towards Vulcan or Dorn

I was thinking about using Ultramarine gene-seed for the arrogance trait.

Please don't go with Imperial Fists or god forbid, Ultramarines. Overused and bland, in my not-so-humble opinion.

That said, there's nothing really wrong with using them, I just don't like their proliferation as used in DIY's.

Unfortunately I don't think the UM arrogance is genetic, merely socially driven. Give them a UM training cadre, and problem solved. :D

Ultramarines. Overused and bland.

That's because the fluff says that some 700-800 or so out of a 1000 chapters are Guilliman stock. When I see too many Chapters rejecting Ultramarines stock around, it starts straining my own suspension of disbelief. I never really comment on it since I try to take every DIY-IA in a relative vacuum, but since it's come up, I think one should seriously default to Ultra-seed unless one has a legitimate and specific reason not to. (Note that "I feel like using these other guys instead" is a legitimate reason. I'm not hard on this, I just don't see a reason for Ultra-stock to be purposefully avoided.)

I'm probably going to go with Ultra gene-seed. Mostly because it is a fairly neutral canvas to build off of. I also want to use some of their primarch's tenant as infrastructure for my plot. By the end of the IA I want it apparent that the Chapter is at a crossroads. They will be torn between their loyalty to their home world and loyalty to the Emperor.

I will be away from the Internet for about a week. Hopefully I will have updates next week end.

Madwolf

• 3 months later...

Been a long time since I worked on this post, but it is not dead. Barebones Belief section up. I will be adding more sections over the next few days depending on feedback on this and the Hounds. Comments and Critiques welcome.

Madwolf

- At founding technology at blackpowder level

- Now at Imperial standard for production world

- Strict caste society

- Marines only recruit from the Royal caste

- warrior caste is PDF

- planet ruled by a "divine emperor", backed by the people. Planetary governor is like a Prime Minister

- Planetary Emperor have desire to expand his realm

The royal family is going to have to be blinkin' huge on this planet of yours, then. I mean, given that 95% of aspirants don't make it to space marine and everything.

If you want your Chapter to be lead by royalty, you could have your Chapter Masters always take on the name of whatever the royal family's called.

Say the royals are called the McKing family, you'd have Chapter Master McKing, as an example.

Also, If you're taking suggestions for the colour scheme, I'll suggest these:

sm.php?b62c=@iakk7_hCmX3.hXbsb@@@@@@@.@@@@hk8Yt@@@@@.@@_.__.@.@____.@@@@.hLL9JhQZpL_____________hQZpL@&grid=TRUEsm.php?b62c=@iakk7_hCmX3.hXbsb@@@@@@@.@@@@i8khii8khi@@@@@@@____@._._.___@.@@@hLL9JhQZpL_____________hQZpL@&grid=TRUE

The first one is a classic quartered pattern, with the red bits where you've got them. It looks a bit more unified than the one you presently have, and doesn't have blue tubes. :sweat:

The second one is me mixing things up a bit, but sticking to the visual theme. :tu:

Stick at it, and best of luck with this chapter.

Currently working on the rest of the sections. Thanks for the scheme ideas, I will be going with a slight variation of the traditional quartered scheme. The Lords recruit from the royal and warrior caste (minor change from when I first posted the outline. There will be an interesting plot twist.

Madwolf

The head of the Royal family bears the terrestrial title of Divine Emperor Roiyaru and the Imperial title of Planetary Governor. The “divine emperor” assists the Chapter Regent in the ruling of the planet and is usually a distant descendent of the same.

I'd incline toward 'divine king' or even 'divine ruler', rather than 'divine emperor', just to avoid possible confusion. :lol:

Also to the wider Imperium there is only one Emperor, to use the same title for another would probably be a bad idea.

The Lords of the Dusk adhere to a strict code of honor both as a Chapter and as individuals. Their code is so rigidly upheld that they will challenge the Marines of other Chapters to honor duel over the most insignificant slight. The Lords code prevents them from destroying a weakened foe that can no longer fight. This practice causes its own upheaval when the Lords block other forces from chasing down the enemies of the Emperor. The only exception allowed to this tenant of their code is in the pursuit of Chaos.

It's 'tenet', rather than 'tenant'.

Sorry to nitpick, but that one always gets me.

When a company commander determines that his honor has been irrevocably marred, he will take his company on a death quest. This quest will bring the company into conflict with increasingly larger numbers of foes until the company is wiped out or the company commander falls. At this time a new Company Master is raised and the Company returns to <planet name>. This practice is repeated at all levels of the command structure from the individual to the Chapter Master.

Does that mean that Random Brother Steve can just turn around and go on a death quest, dragging a bunch of his friends with him?

Or have I misunderstood?

Homeworld seems fairly solid, all in all. ;)

Thanks for the reply Ace.

Yes, I debated on the title and decided on divine emperor for a more asian/japanese feel. I will probably go with divine ruler. Or I might leave it as the potential confusion lends to the Origin story I have planned.

Ah, the dreaded typo. I spelled it wrong to start, then spell checked it and still got it wrong.

Only the Officers drag others with them, if an individual is dishonored he goes by himself. I have another unique concept I have to add to the Beliefs section. And a sidebar that deals with an ancient Chapter character.

I have the bulk of their story in my head, but I'm just writing in small bursts as I refine the Hounds of the Hunt.

Thanks for looking things over.

Madwolf

• 2 years later...

I have decided to work on this again.  Currently I'm deployed and did not bring supplies to continued modelling.  So when I am not toiling to meet the deadline for the Liber campaign or when I need a break from writing battles I will work on this.  Please excuse the cobwebs and dust, this IA has sat idle for awhile. 

Madwolf

Archived