Blood Strike

BLACK BLΠFLY

+++

Ovid awoke from a long deep slumber devoid of any dream. The High Chaplain was still immersed in the pool of blood but now upon reawakening the liquid felt thinned and tepid. He pressed his hands up activating a rune fitted on the inside of the heavy lid. The cover then slid back slowly and soft light filtered down through the weak pool of blood. Ovid sat up grasping either side of the iron casket and lifted himself up. He immediately noticed that his fingernails had grown long and were sharply pointed. Blood streamed down his body and as he stepped out onto the cold floor his bare feet left red footprints upon the ground. The Void Walker felt completely replenished and as he ran his blood soaked fingers over his head he could feel his hair had grown back and spilled over his shoulders. He looked within a large mirror and found that his mane was blonde again and the deep wrinkles running along his face had vanished. There were still a few scars but they had shrunken and no longer puckered. Ovid looked much younger but he still filled a large frame. He then stepped inside a shower stall to wash away the thin blood and waited as the heaters dried him. The Void Walker felt refreshed and his mind was calm. Involuntarily he smiled for a moment revealing his long sharp pointed fangs.

Suited in jet black artificed armor Ovid stepped out from his personal quarters to be greeted by the Librarian Ixyl. The Librarian held out his hand they shook. The High Chaplain wore a ring fastened in the shape of serpent that had swallowed its own tail. Ixyl could feel it twisting about under his tight grip flexing it's steely coils. Ovid's human eye burned with an inner light. "It is time for your hearing." said Ixyl as he released his grip. "I know you have waited for what must have seemed like an eternity for this moment."

The Void Walker grunted in affirmation. "Let us go then and finish this business." He stepped in beside the Librarian and began to follow Ixyl down the hallway.

Ixyl lead Ovid down a side hallway. "There is something I wanted to show you before we proceed to your hearing. I think it's important for you to see this so that you'll be aware." They stopped in front of a large iron door and Ixyl proceeded to produce a long key from a small leather pouch attached to his belt. The Librarian stuck it deep inside the keyhole and turned the key clockwise. There was the sound of a sharp click and the door slid away revealing a store room full of large iron coffins mounted to the floor. They stepped inside and Ovid could feel the temperature plummet down to subzero. Each coffin had a thick plate of hardened glass fitted into their lids directly over the area that would cover the face of any occupant. Thick layers of hoarfrost covered the coffins and obscured the glass faceplates. Ovid looked closer discovered that each coffin had a nameplate fastened just beneath the frosted faceplates. There was one that bore his own name—he stepped closer to that one and saw that it was empty. The next one beside bore the Androcles and he could see that a body rested inside the iron tomb. "Who are they?" the Void Walksr asked the Librarian.

"These are stasis cells my brother." said Ixyl as he stepped up beside the High Chaplain. "Your body rested in that one for quite a long period of time. The rest here are members of the Sanguinary Guard that aided you on your return here as well. All of you suffered a great deal of heavy psychomatic trauma on your journey through the warp back here to our fortress. Your minds were not properly conditioned for what you were exposed to due to the drastic alien nature of the Tyranid Wrym Hole. You were to first to be ressurected—it required a great deal of time for your psyche to fully recover. Upon arrival you were found stark raving mad, incapable of forming any speech at all and your compatriots were all in a catatonic state just as they still are to this very day. They are all close to brain dead but there is still the smallest amount of synaptic activity we can detect registering in their minds. Dear Ovid over two centuries have passed since your return."

Ovid remained silent for a moment bending over to gaze through the frosted plate to peer down upon Brother Androcles' face. The Sanguinary Guard's eyes were closed tight and his face was coiled up in a hardened grimace. "I only just returned though..." said the Void Walker then his deep voice trailed off.

"That was simply how your mind interpreted your reawakening the best it could. In truth it was nothing more than a fantasy created by your subconscious mind to buffer your healing. Most thought you were lost to us but some such as I continued to have patience and wait to see if you could revive yourself. We believe there is much you know that we would like to learn as well. In fact I'd say that we need to know."

Ovid looked down upon himself and was startled to see that he was actually wearing a long crimson gown cut from smooth silk. The facade had seemingly just passed. "So then in truth I have actually only now fully awakened."

"That is it." said Ixyl.

+++

Ovid sat in a high backed chair across the other end of a large round table facing members of the Blood Saints Inner Council. There were three Librarians and one was Ixyl the acting Chapter Master who also fulfilled the role as the Void Walker's Chronicler. The High Chaplain was now truly suited in jet black artificed armor bearing the proper decorations due his ascendant rank. "Your account of all the events are nothing short of fascinating." said Ixyl speaking into a recorder. "Now following our recess to review everything you have recounted we find that we believe you have left out some important details. I also note that on your return to Khane's world you often acted in in a manner that was both unorthodox and unpredictable. As such we have come to the final decision that you are not yet ready to return to the line of active duty." Ixyl paused for a moment then continued. "This I think should come as no surprise to you. A very long time has passed since you last set foot upon our holy soil—there are only a few august members of our chapter left since the day you departed on your quest and most of them besides the Sanguinary Guard are now clad in dreadnaught armor. There is no one left to corroborate your story and the missing pieces you failed to mention are telling. Do not take this as admonishment. You are recognized as a hero and icon of the Blood Saints. We could not be more happy to have you return to us finally of sound mind. In time when the conditions are right you will be returned to the full accord of your ranking position—until then you will be an adept here safe amongst your new brothers. It is a time for you to learn again and as I said much time has passed since your return. We all believe that you will come to find we have remained true to the goals originally set out for we the Blood Saints.

" In closing there are two remaining items I will now address. First know that we all most deeply appreciate your personal sacrifice and that of those brothers whom attended you on your quest. You have wiped our slate clean of any stain." Ixyl could not help but smile. "No one can challenge that—it is a fact.

"Second I open the floor to you. If there is anything else you wish to add to your record now is the time." Ixyl paused then folded his hands down upon his lap.

There was a brief moment of silence then the Void Walker rose up from his seat. The High Chaplain cleared his throat and began to speak. "My only comment is I saw a galaxy unfit. I acted of mine own accord to set that right. Only time now will tell what has come to pass as a result and I am convinced I made the right decisions. That is all."

- finis -

I track several treads by mail but this I didn't. I was always sure of where to find it. It must be one of the only treads to always be in the front treads of our forum. ;)

That and more than 8300 views speaks for itself.

Is it a coincidence it too 12 months to write? (and 3 days)

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd like to see the saints vs chaos marines with a greater emphasis on warfare and strategy and less magic.

Or a showdown against thousand sons with extreme amounts of warp usage.

One of the extremes. Not too much a mix.

Archived