About this Storm Raven:

Mike Somerville

People love the "Point, Click, Boom" lists.

Which I think is sad. It takes away from some of the ...variety (?) that is a sad thing to me.

SR's require more than racing forward with RazorBacks, Spaming anti-tank, and getting your "IWinButton" unit.

Which is ironically the exact problem with the Storm Raven. If you're carrying cargo, then you absolutely have to rush forward to deposit them as soon as possible. There's no point hanging around in back field with it, as you will get shot to bits.

Probably the best tactic I've seen for it is keeping it in reserve. It'll need the rest of your list building around it, and will probably work better at higher points (SR+cargo is at least 1/3 of your points at 1500)

You are so wrong dude. No you dont have to rush forward all the time. The SR has an effective range of 72" with the BS missiles... you can outrange quite a few armies out there.

G :HQ:

Couldn't agree with you more GBF, it's great to hang back for a turn or two popping off the missiles and a Lascannon, then pop up 12", and drop off a Dreadnought right before the bad guys get to your army. It also helps keep it out of range of a lot of the anti-tank out there.

It's not like your going be hanging back the entire game. That just would not make sense if you have a assault squad to drop. The reasoning is you don't have to always rush. And depending on any situation you will have to modify your own strategy on the go. This just comes a territory. Get use to it.

For just an example, please hang with me here. You could be facing what is a AT heavy army. In most cases people will deploy their units in a spread out fashion in there deployment zone. If they decide they want to bunch them all up only one corner. Then great you can deploy on the furthest corner from them. Considering you go first, you will have four one-shot missiles that will reach them without return fire. Diagonally

from corner-to-corner is about 70inches( if your playing on a 4'x4' table).

Back to the first set up I mentioned. The Raven is about 10"x10". Measuring from the Raven sitting on the corner 48" to the enemy deployment zone. You could be hit by any squad or tank directly in front of you. Now swinging the tape measure in an arc to the middle of the table. You will find 48" ends about a hair past the middle line in the table in their deployment zone.

Utilizing other units in your army list. Will increase the chance of survival. Example. Using a vanguard squad to tie up an anti tank unit in the middle of the board. Allows you to bare all of your missile and las cannon fire on the enemy in front of you. Next turn zoom in and unload your cargo into a slightly less hostile environment.

I have seen this work and others on this board have sworn by it. Is this the right tactic for all applications. No. Only you could be the judge of that.

People love the "Point, Click, Boom" lists.

Which I think is sad. It takes away from some of the ...variety (?) that is a sad thing to me.

SR's require more than racing forward with RazorBacks, Spaming anti-tank, and getting your "IWinButton" unit.

Which is ironically the exact problem with the Storm Raven. If you're carrying cargo, then you absolutely have to rush forward to deposit them as soon as possible. There's no point hanging around in back field with it, as you will get shot to bits.

Probably the best tactic I've seen for it is keeping it in reserve. It'll need the rest of your list building around it, and will probably work better at higher points (SR+cargo is at least 1/3 of your points at 1500)

You are so wrong dude. No you dont have to rush forward all the time. The SR has an effective range of 72" with the BS missiles... you can outrange quite a few armies out there.

G :D

I think the problem is that if you're sitting in the back with that SR and cargo, it's a waste of the 300 or so points that are sitting in its hold.

Like BO has already said you will want to at least try to make good on your investment. I have a pure DOA list and it's difficult to justify buying this vehicle( vs. another jp squad) if I don't plan on using it to the fullest.

Maybe you are using it wrong then. ;) Sure there are games you have to go right for the throat at the start but certainly that is not always the case. There is no need to engage immediately if there is no real threat. The game is changing at a rapid pace. The Stormraven is maybe the best vehicle in the game right now. Competitive gamers will take advantage of what it has to offer.

G ;)

I think this thread has pretty much run its life.

Some like it, some dont.

Some will give it a chance, some wont.

Kurb has it correct.

There seems little reason for this to continue like this.

gallery_26_548_17134.jpg

Archived