Grey Knight Rumors Thread

Marmande

Pretty pumped about most of the info listed, except the PAGK downgrade. I really, really hope they at least keep True Grit with the SB/NFW. I can take being WS4. I at least want 2 attacks base (and I want the charge bonus.)

I'm glad they are including a Chaplain-esqe figure.

One whole choice in the FA category, huh? Maybe two? Uh huh.

I'm still concerned about AT. If we're not going to be able to pack a lot of melta I'm real curious what our solution to Mech IG/Razor Spam is supposed to be.

Grey Knights were 'We are made of win and God.' - I want this T-Shirt.

Why would the GK need a chaplain, not pure enough? :D Librarian is fine and we already have Inqvisitors. BTW who has said there will be a chaplain?

I sure hope the Dreadknight at least has an option to be built so the cockpit would be sealed, it somehow in my mind is extremely stupid to be exposed while the machine otherwise is strongly protected, it´s like a tankdriver who would sit outside and stear.

Ah Grey Knights - like a beauty obsessive, they could have all the purifying solutions in the world and they still wouldn't be happy with the resulting cleanliness. ;)

Something tells me that going by the Brotherhood Champion concept (a cross between a chaplain and a EC) that he inspires his brethren to deeds of valour, rather than ensures their purity. So he takes some of the virtues of the chaplain but discards the ones that aren't needed, adding sword-mastery to his roster instead. Hopefully, he'll discard the chaplains cheesy outfit scheme for something more knightly too.

Why would the GK need a chaplain, not pure enough? ;) Librarian is fine and we already have Inqvisitors. BTW who has said there will be a chaplain?

I sure hope the Dreadknight at least has an option to be built so the cockpit would be sealed, it somehow in my mind is extremely stupid to be exposed while the machine otherwise is strongly protected, it´s like a tankdriver who would sit outside and stear.

Actually it's the Librarian that doesn't make much sense to me. In an army full of psykers what role does he fulfill......psyker? Seems pretty redundant if you ask me. From a fluff standpoint I guess I can see it, working in the librarium to record things about daemons so the GK can better fight against them.

The "Chaplain-esqe figure" that templargdt was referring too is this Brotherhood Champion that was brought up in the rumors. He actually makes more sense to me. Yes, the GK are the purest of the pure but that in and of itself begs the question, how do they get that way? And given the tainted beings that they come into regular contact with, how do they maintain their purity? Chaplains seems like the only plausible answer to me.

Even the most faithful needs the backing of a brother on occasion.

On the same note, look at the Chaplains of other chapters. Mildly psychotic, capable of acts of bizarre heroism and more-than-the-occasional feat worthy of the 'awesome' title.

Grey Knights are supposed to be the purest soldiers the Imperium can muster.

Think of just how bad-ass and awesomesauce a Chaplain made from one of those soldiers would be.

I dislike Ben Counter's take on the Grey Knights, and that includes the addition of Chaplains. In my mind, the explanation for why the Grey Knights are incorruptible is simple: because the corruptible part of them has been excised by the most extreme mental conditioning available to the Imperium, short of turning them into Servitors. They are not pure because they are more than human, they are pure because they are less than human.

If it was that easy to prevent corruption, all Space Marines would have that done and the Horus Heresy would've never occurred. They also wouldn't be that great in combat, either. What makes astartes so effective is that they are super-human, not robots.

Anyone who doesn't like Chaplains on the assumption that the Grey Knights are perfect is a fan of Mary Sues. :P

Exactly.

I mean, c'mon. It's a CHAPLAIN. Spitting litanies and praise to the Emperor while golf-club-swinging his Crozius into the junk of Chaos spawn everywhere.

He's like Smilin' Bob from the Enzyte commercials meets Duke Nukem.

Quoted for awesomeness, well done ;)

If it was that easy to prevent corruption, all Space Marines would have that done and the Horus Heresy would've never occurred. They also wouldn't be that great in combat, either. What makes astartes so effective is that they are super-human, not robots.

Anyone who doesn't like Chaplains on the assumption that the Grey Knights are perfect is a fan of Mary Sues. :)

Nonsense. Instead of warriormonks who lost all emotion, all ambition ( except to fulfill their duty and be buried on titan ) trough the most cruel rituals imaginable and therefore actually lost something truly valuable we will now have Grey Ultramarines. Instead of doomed martyrs we have WoW Paladins with super awesome Purity Sues in the form of Chaplains, for extra cleanliness.

To elaborate, my favourite GK story is not Counters inane drivel but the last one from the 3. edition Daemonhunters dex which had a truly nice mood. Others might prefer the brighter

version of the Grey Knights and they will apparently get what they desire. I for my part will wait for the next dex and then decide if i keep my small GK army or if i sell it.

On a side note: I'll still be using them. I wonder if they can take up the Dreadnought space on a Storm Raven.

Word on the street is 'no'. Though god knows why you'd need to since they aparantly have that once-per-game 30 inch move.

Anyone who doesn't like Chaplains on the assumption that the Grey Knights are perfect is a fan of Mary Sues. :o

You seem to have my argument completely backwards. I am suggesting that it shouldn't be easy for the Grey Knights to prevent corruption, as the cost is higher than even another Space Marine chapter is willing (or able?) to pay. What they lose is not what makes them effective warriors, but what makes them people. They'd lack Chaplains not because they're perfect, but because they couldn't benefit from the spiritual leadership even if they wanted to.

But from everything in the fluff they aren't less than people. That's not just Counter, that's also McNeill. Grey Knights are more akin to Paladins in their complete and unshakable faith. Hence Grey Knights now having a unit called Paladins. :D

It isn't necessarily a chaplain in the sense of Codex chapters. When I think of a Grey Knight chaplain I think of a veteran battle brother that has time and again fought against and won in battles versus the forces of Chaos. Who has proven himself a cut above the rank and file in some way. Maybe it's that he somehow always manages to shoot a daemon right between the eyes every time he finishes saying the 666 words. Even when there wasn't one when he started.

Either way, we'll get some new fluff in the codex that will probably explain their place in the chapter.

All I know is that I'm loving the DreadKnight, even with all it's blurryness, and I cannot wait to field three of them.

Ok, that’s it…

I don’t care how much GW nerfs our PAGK’s, if I get scoring Terminators, scouting Land Raiders and Dreadknights with a 30” move, I will never look at a PAGK as more then a Point sink ever again!

Ps. Am I the only one that wonders what will happen when tournament veterans that has played with the extreme handicap of using the games worst army, suddenly gets the Newest (if not best)?

Archived