Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Marine weapons with scopes on...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

ShinyRhino

ShinyRhino

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,668 posts
So, Marines not only have biologically-enhanced vision (as well as other senses), but also helmets with in-built HUDs, tracking, etc that are powered by their armor.
So, why do Marine weapons need scopes?

Isn't that kind of like pointing the gunsights of your Apache helicopter into a pair of binoculars?
-- "To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, and to repel the enemy assault by fire and close combat."

MalevolentPixel

MalevolentPixel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 30 posts
Okay, taking a logical look on things.

A Marine has a Helmet with a built in HUD, yet Battledamage and breaking of the Lens, may force the marine to remove his helmet completley. now, the Space marines are the ultimate soliders, efficent and prepared, having a scope on your weapon is a decent idea to me.

Also, space marine sight is enhanced, but in our army, the sights are used for reconasance. they are a tool. like a pair of bino's as you mentioned. so another reason a squad might have a scope in the squad.
Marines Malevolent and Power Armour Blog. -
http://www.bolterand...amp;blogid=1153

Contains Tactica, Fictions, Battle Reports, and my own views. a Great read worth looking at, and i promise to update weekly
You just try and stop this thing once it gets going.

Debauchery101

Debauchery101

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 433 posts
i think that a scope would still greatly enchance to hit targets at long range but bolters arent long range so i never have seen the point. i think the helmets have a varied setup but i dont think either are really stocked with high zoom lenses except maybe devastators.
The Pleasure God's Chosen

Emperor's Children (RIP) 2500 pts
Death Guard 3500 pts
Iron Warriors 3000 pts
Enslaved Traitor Guardsmen 1500 pts
Daemons 4000 pts
Salamanders 3000 pts
Necrons 2000 pts

The Emperor's Champion

The Emperor's Champion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,707 posts
Because the helmet's autosenses allow Marines to see through the scopes of their guns, regardless of if the Marine is holding the scope to his eye or not.
Marines can shoot from the hip nearly as accurately as if they were actually looking down the sights.
"The ltramarines are the greatest of all Space Marine Chapters. From the dawn of the Imperium they have served the Emperor with loyalty and a ferocity that no others can match." "in faith and in valour they are unmatched." "The ltramarines are the exemplars of the Space Marines, the purest and noblest of all Adeptus Astartes." "Many hold the ltramarines to be the rightful heir not only of Guilliman, but of the Emperor himself." ~Games-Workshop
The Codex Astartes: Taking Away The Freedom Of The Astartes To Pigeonhole Themselves,
And Restricting Them To Supreme Flexibility Since M31

Lucien Eilam

Lucien Eilam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 974 posts
A regular scope would always give a better zoom than their helmet could, just because of the laws of optics. You'll notice in the real world, telescopes, telephoto lenses, etc. are lengthy and large devices. There's only so far you can compress optics and still do the job, and a helmet eyepiece is probably too far.

There are also a few references to the scope being linked to their armour, so they can switch their helmet view to a sort of gun cam, handy for shooting round corners, or with accuracy while moving. Some models (notably the Deathwatch), that's the only way it would work, because the scope is only open at one end with a cable at the other.
Drill your gun barrels.

13skullz

13skullz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts
From my understanding, there is a camera set into the front of the bolter, right above the barrel, that is linked directly to the helmet, thus negating the need for any form of optic whatsoever. Also, considering the fact that there are more zooms other than optical zoom (cough cough, digital zoom), it would be totally an completely feasible to have magnification on both ends.
Awoken from my slumber, I am risen to battle once more. Venerable am I, a living relic, from a past dark and torn asunder with the fires of war. In my hands I hold death and the judgment of the Emperor. I am His dreadnought, His unstoppable force of will, and protectorate of Humanity.

The Emperor's Champion

The Emperor's Champion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,707 posts
Digital zoom < optical zoom
"The ltramarines are the greatest of all Space Marine Chapters. From the dawn of the Imperium they have served the Emperor with loyalty and a ferocity that no others can match." "in faith and in valour they are unmatched." "The ltramarines are the exemplars of the Space Marines, the purest and noblest of all Adeptus Astartes." "Many hold the ltramarines to be the rightful heir not only of Guilliman, but of the Emperor himself." ~Games-Workshop
The Codex Astartes: Taking Away The Freedom Of The Astartes To Pigeonhole Themselves,
And Restricting Them To Supreme Flexibility Since M31

13skullz

13skullz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 292 posts
I know digital zoom is worse than optical zoom, and I never use it for my photography. However, in the future they might have Photoshop Creative Suite 9338 built in to super-enhance the picture quality.

All I'm really saying is that digital zoom is compact, thus throwing the need for optical zoom out the window.
Awoken from my slumber, I am risen to battle once more. Venerable am I, a living relic, from a past dark and torn asunder with the fires of war. In my hands I hold death and the judgment of the Emperor. I am His dreadnought, His unstoppable force of will, and protectorate of Humanity.

OraIncognita

OraIncognita

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

i think that a scope would still greatly enchance to hit targets at long range but bolters arent long range so i never have seen the point.

What is long range? A boltgun most likely has a range of some 1000+ metres. I would reckon that they are fairly accurate at range too. A scope was most likely added just because children think they are cool and usefull.

calgar101

calgar101

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,126 posts
They're not actually laser sights but long range laser engravers so they can engrave nasty words on their enemies :tu:

Xeonic

Xeonic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 853 posts
Bolters aren't long range on the tabletop because then every game would be like playing Tau vs Tau.

As stated above, though the helmet autosenses are no doubt quite adequate at short/medium range, a scope could incorporate higher resolution, more sophisticated longer range optics, or types of vision mode not normally allowed for by helmet optics. In addition a scope could be used without the need for a helmet at all.
Likewise any small optics built into the bolter(there'd almost have to be, the iron sight backup is a joke) would be necessarily simplified compared to a huge and comprehensive full optics array.
Even if the optics zoom far exceeded the weapon range they would still be useful to have for spotting targets for heavy weapons, orbital bombardments, and etc.
Ultramarines 5th company: 2500+ pts.
Ultramarines 1st&10th: 1000+ pts.
Iron Warriors: 1750+ pts.
My pic heavy Iron Warriors WiP Thread Mar 4 update
Apocalypse Datasheet: Land Raider Executioner

Schmitt.

Schmitt.

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 253 posts
In the Imperial Armour books the classic large, clunky out-of-the-box type of scope is the 'dark-eye'. It is designed for unit marskmen, providing 'powerful' infrared for low light missions and improved magnification, but is described as a hindrance in close quarters, and must be disabled. It is stated to link up to the helmet's autosenses. In the Anphelion Project and probably elsewhere the boltgun itself is specifically stated as having a targeter which also connects to the autosenses. I love how the IA books flesh out this sort of thing, just brilliant.

I've always wondered about Deathwatch scopes, which are awesome designs. I don't seem to recall reading about them in the index astartes, despite their featuring in the deathwatch iconography and being so ubiquitous.

Edited by Schmitt., 11 February 2011 - 05:28 AM.

For I am the Emperor's Bwomp

IPB Image

Ethrion

Ethrion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,604 posts

Okay, taking a logical look on things.

A Marine has a Helmet with a built in HUD, yet Battledamage and breaking of the Lens, may force the marine to remove his helmet completley. now, the Space marines are the ultimate soliders, efficent and prepared, having a scope on your weapon is a decent idea to me.

Also, space marine sight is enhanced, but in our army, the sights are used for reconasance. they are a tool. like a pair of bino's as you mentioned. so another reason a squad might have a scope in the squad.

This is very true. In almost every 40K book the marine removes his helmet either because he got annoyed with it (his hair got itchy) or it got damaged. Scopes on the bolters allow for this inevitability.

Furyou Miko

Furyou Miko

++ PROPUGNATRIX REGNUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,460 posts
Helmets aren't Heroic.

This is why Marine Sergeants, Imperial Guard Officers, and the majority of Adepta Sororitas don't wear them.

Hats - in the case of They Who Must Not Be Named - are plenty heroic, however, from Jack Sparrow's floppy cap to Nelson's tri-corner.

All for One
IG_14A_Badge.jpg
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

There is no knowledge
that is not power.
Power corrupts.
Ignorance is Innocence.

Just call me Miko.
Sisters in 7th: W2 L0 D0

Tzeentch: Change you can believe in.

Kitchen Knife

Kitchen Knife

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 104 posts

Helmets aren't Heroic.

This is why Marine Sergeants, Imperial Guard Officers, and the majority of Adepta Sororitas don't wear them.

Hats - in the case of They Who Must Not Be Named - are plenty heroic, however, from Jack Sparrow's floppy cap to Nelson's tri-corner.

To me, taking of the helmet is like begging to get shot in the head :D

Maybe, in the good old times, the bolters had scopes, because they made a massive use of silenced bolt shells for sneaky sniper action. Nowadays it's just there, because the techmarines and the mechanichus are afraid to remove them and making the weapon spirit cranky....
;)

husi2100

husi2100

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 166 posts

Helmets aren't Heroic.

To me, taking of the helmet is like begging to get shot in the head :D

and your sargents wearing a red helmet is better? :D

its like saying, hey! im the leader, kill me!
Regarding Thunderhawks
QUOTE ( @ Nov 26 2010, 03:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you blow huge chunks out of someones army with your Thunderhawk, do you get the overwhelming urge to either start singing..or simply tell them..that they have been... THUNDERSTRUCK!!!
Regarding Adeptus Custodes
QUOTE (Zeller @ Dec 14 2010, 01:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Marines fulfill the elite strike force roll as it is. Custodes would not be necessary. That's like sending in an army of chuck norris when an army of Rambos will do just fine.
justice in the 41st millenium: Thou are no heretic, and thus guilty of wasting my time: guilty!

Br0ther Rafen

Br0ther Rafen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 350 posts
I would probably go with the optical zoom over the digital zoom argument, magnification is so much better through a scope then it is in digital.
But the thing that really bugs me... why bother asking?
I mean, scopes are one the most awesome and cool things in 40k. It's like turning your assualt rifle into a sniper. It's just pure, unmitigated awesome.
Br0ther Rafen
If you have any suggestions' for a very Grimdark chapter name, please PM me!
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

OraIncognita

OraIncognita

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts

Helmets aren't Heroic.

To me, taking of the helmet is like begging to get shot in the head :)

and your sargents wearing a red helmet is better? :)

its like saying, hey! im the leader, kill me!

There are plenty of examples where "leaders" have chosen not to wear a helmet in the field of battle. And the opposite too.
Personal preference.

ShinyRhino

ShinyRhino

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,668 posts
Interesting points, all. I wasn't aware of the linkup between autosense and scopes, etc. I was operating under the impression that it was a simple optic scope, like the one I have my my rifle at home. Any sort of overlay over my eye (paint a HUD on your shooting glasses or something) would not transfer through the optics, and would in fact be a hindrance.
But, the laws of sci-fi and Rule of Cool (which trumps all explanations anyways) win :HQ:
-- "To locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, and to repel the enemy assault by fire and close combat."

WingsOfTheFalcon

WingsOfTheFalcon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,548 posts
I think this is probably a case of digital zoom vs. optical zoom.

You can only enhance an image so far with a small (helmet) lens before the image loses sharpness. When you want a clear image at longer range, larger lenses are required i.e. a scope.

awfulawful

awfulawful

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 511 posts
Just for fun?
Posted Image

Captain Juan Juarez

Captain Juan Juarez

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,514 posts
Both the Barrett .50 and the WA2000 feature that smiley face cap cover in the CoD game MW2.. Incidentally is that an M14?
" They made you to be untouched by God or mortal. As I cannot kill you, so I curse you, not with death but with life.

I curse you - with the pain of ten thousand days in the Dark Place, with the life's blood of a mage's sacrifice, with Death's authority held in my hands.

I curse you, and I strike your name from history, stripped of arrogance and pride, empty of the self you once knew, gutted of all you are. I take your name and all you have won by the strength of your hand. I curse you for eternity, to find only darkness where once you knew your own face.

And I dub you the Ragged Man."

EmbattledSoul

EmbattledSoul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 320 posts
Or the scopes put a reticle on the hud, where the bolters pointing, that's where the reticle is?
QUOTE (Prosedragon @ Feb 2 2011, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm...if it weren't a forgeworld titan I don't know if it would be worth the risk of immediate defecation. If nothing else works I may just have to put my pride aside and pull out a diaper.

QUOTE (Brother Martemis @ Mar 28 2011, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and my 5 year old telling me that the aliens in the cabinet were scum and the night lords were good guys (close enough son, close enough)

Alys

Alys

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 137 posts
Scouts and non helmeted marines seem to use scopes, so it seems likely that they are a redundant system.

The thing I wonder though is, is it really needed? The Bolter is practically a machine-RPG. I'm no sure what the effective range is, but on slugs that big, it mustn't be able to do long range that well.

Maybe they are throwbacks. Bolters that are older, before the targeting hook-up was perfected, and like the armour, they are exonerated. These ancient glass scopes are as much a part of the history of the gun, as the scrollwork and carved grips.
Chaos Dreadnoughts need love too!

Mr Cuddles and Mr Snuggles Kill Count: 0
Mr Cuddles and Mr Snuggles Friendly Fire Count: 0

Hellios

Hellios

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,997 posts

Scouts and non helmeted marines seem to use scopes, so it seems likely that they are a redundant system.

The thing I wonder though is, is it really needed? The Bolter is practically a machine-RPG. I'm no sure what the effective range is, but on slugs that big, it mustn't be able to do long range that well.

Well some seem to be set up as sniper rifles (stalker pattern and so on).