Sprue rubble

Seahawk

Well, I've just gone through my sprues and trimmed off all the bitz into my boxes. I now have a veritable mountain of sprues that I want to turn into rubble. However, I don't want to spend six hours cutting them into little bits. Is there any way to grind them into a chipper or something? :HQ:

I don't know if there are tools that could expedite the process...does anyone know of any?

Not really... back when cities of death came out the WD article said they bought a used meat grinder and fed the sprues through it. I suppose an old food processor MIGHT work, if the blade was sharp enough and the motor strong enough. However, I'm sure that will void your warranty. :P Easiest thing is to bribe your buddies with soda/snacks and have them all sit around and clip them with you.

Go to your local thrift shop, Goodwill, or Salvation Army. Buy an old blender for a couple bucks. Chop sprue into lengths. Insert into blender. Put on ear protection, then hit "Frappe".

The only problem with a meat grinder is that the exit holes on the grinder tend to be smaller than you want your sprue rubble to be, and it will jam constantly.

I'll pass on the dog idea, but do blenders really work for sprues? It'd seem like their lightweight bounciness would keep them safe from the choppa.

Absolutely. That's why you cut them into lengths. Each circuit of the blades will catch the bottom of the lengths, breaking off a small chunk, shortening the length. Sure, they'll jump and bounce in there, but so long as your cover is on, the only place they have to go is down, into the blades. CHOPCHOPCHOP.

I also know of a guy who uses a coffee grinder for the same thing.

I'll pass on the dog idea, but do blenders really work for sprues? It'd seem like their lightweight bounciness would keep them safe from the choppa.

Absolutely. That's why you cut them into lengths. Each circuit of the blades will catch the bottom of the lengths, breaking off a small chunk, shortening the length. Sure, they'll jump and bounce in there, but so long as your cover is on, the only place they have to go is down, into the blades. CHOPCHOPCHOP.

I also know of a guy who uses a coffee grinder for the same thing.

I used my normal clipper to cut beam sized pieces. Adding that to my "rubble"-which started out as construction debris from work..instant broken

ground. Also added the sprue pieces to my GW building as supports and broken floor joists.

Archived