Product Review: Simple Green

I have recently written a brief review/how-to about Simple Green as I use it for my model stripping needs. It works great on metal, but struggles some on plastic. Does anyone have a safe, cheap alternative that strips plastic well?

You can find my review at: Gone to Ground.

Thanks for your input!

Hey guys, I've been using Detol for a while, works like a charm. Strips plastics in 12-24 hours. the only iffy bit is it makes the GW black undercoat go gooey which can take some scrubbing, but I find a second 12 hour dip works a charm.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NHAR94/ref=...ASIN=B000NHAR94

Be sure to use that type not the other liquids, you want the thick dissinfectant.

I will be sure to check that out. Most of my recent commission jobs have either been metal models or untouched plastics, but I do buy a lot of already painted plastics for myself to get lower prices. I will check into Dettol. Can it be found in the US or does it have to be purchased in the UK?

I find a mixture of 80%Isopropyl alcohol and 20% thinners works great for plastic models I can generally get a model cleaned up in about 10 - 20 minutes and for metal models just thinners by its self should have the model cleaned up in a few minutes.

And before I forget always wear your protective gear :lol:

I found that simple green cleans metal almost 100%, if not a bit of brushing cleans the paint off.

Plastics, sometimes it takes off the outer paint and leaves the undercoating primer...

GW primer doesn't like to come off, I've found. Excellent material bond or massive conspiracy? You be the judge!

I believe that Ron at Black Dot Barrel Studios/From The Warp uses Dawn Power Dissolver. I've never heard of it in the UK, maybe it's a USA exclusive, but apparently it's just as good as Simple Green but works on plastics too. Also, what's wrong with Scottish accents? :( ...Only joking, the majority are truly incomprehensible even to other Scots (especially Glaswegian accents) :P

I find a mixture of 80%Isopropyl alcohol and 20% thinners works great for plastic models I can generally get a model cleaned up in about 10 - 20 minutes and for metal models just thinners by its self should have the model cleaned up in a few minutes.

And before I forget always wear your protective gear :P

I use straight IPA and works wonders...

I found that simple green cleans metal almost 100%, if not a bit of brushing cleans the paint off.

Plastics, sometimes it takes off the outer paint and leaves the undercoating primer...

GW primer doesn't like to come off, I've found. Excellent material bond or massive conspiracy? You be the judge!

I would go with conspiracy...I spent lots of time trying to scrub off the black primer on plastic marines..then just giving up

Archived