Okay, so it looked better with the shield extended out more, the folded in arm with the shield just didn't look like it sat that well.

gallery_59244_8904_22365.jpg gallery_59244_8904_5610.jpg

So you'll have to use your imagination a little, flatten the blade of the halberd along the top of the spear (I'd cut the bit and rotate it 90 degrees, laid edge facing the camera location) and flip the fist, so that the back flat of the hand is facing the camera.

My only concern with this is that it looks a little too spear-like, which a halberd isn't really going to work like, especially with that rounded cutting blade that it has now. It should really be used in a more slashing attack. I'm not sure any of these poses really gives a vibe like that, and with the static torso, I'm not sure I can really get a good position to give that kind of indication.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, haven't really gotten any paint on anything lately, but I've started to get some new units assembled up for the Stoneburners' Strike Force Furael. First up is the first five members of Squad Raguel, 4th Company Assault Squad:

gallery_59244_8959_45766.jpg

gallery_59244_8959_114177.jpg

gallery_59244_8959_34605.jpg

Been fun seeing what I could put together with the different kits I had sitting around. These guys have parts from the Vanguard Vets, Death Company, Sanguinary Guard, and Ravenwing Black Knights boxes, along with pads from all over.

The Sergeant will be in Deathwalker colors, with a member or two probably being Deathwalker Candidates, whenever I finally get around to painting them.

Hm, I was just wondering an hour ago whether or not Sanguinary jump packs would mix n' match well with standard packs in a squad.  Thanks for answering the question for me :smile.:

The answer is "Yes," by the way.

Edited by Firepower

I think they work well, especially combined with older mark armor parts (and since FW is already using them for their own armor marks, I figured, let 'er rip).  Since the DA Codex doesn't have Vanguard Vets, seemed like a good way to mix and match some parts by simply making the squads have some "relics" in them.  The Assault Squad isn't that great, like in all SM Codexes, but I have these guys on my strike force roster, so there they are.

Thanks for the comments, Firepower!

Edited by Bryan Blaire

• 8 months later...

Whoops, it's been almost a year since I updated this thread.

For the ETL, I've been working on a my Deathwalkers' (1st Company) Company Master (Belial stand-in with Sword of Silence and storm bolter set up):

Current Progress:

In daylight, prior to cape and storm bolter:

gallery_59244_8993_18625.jpggallery_59244_8993_60197.jpg

Single lamp with cape and storm bolter added (still need to give the steel some highlights and paint the targeter lens with a gem effect):

gallery_59244_8993_81417.jpggallery_59244_8993_40490.jpg

gallery_59244_8993_40417.jpggallery_59244_8993_33603.jpg

Thoughts? Comments/criticism?

• 2 months later...

So, turns out I didn't get all the way to completed with my Deathwalker Company Master.

I have, however, been working on some of my Chaos material. Here is the first of five Reapers (Chosen) of the Extinction Angels warband that attacked Hybreon IV:

gallery_59244_8718_48690.jpg

gallery_59244_8718_93994.jpg

gallery_59244_8718_107468.jpg

gallery_59244_8718_66536.jpg

A direct look at the axe blade and spike:

gallery_59244_8718_35640.jpg

So I decided that the Reapers would use helms colored to reflect their war band icon, a skull with a red hood, so their helms will be deep red. Since I had a thought to use these guys with a Mark of Nurgle at some point, his tongue protuberance has been slathered in Nurgle's Rot, and as you can see, as it has moved from side to side, some of the putrescence has been left across the ribs and dripped down onto his human skin loin cloth. The axe grip is also wound with human skin leather.

The axe blade is crafted out of a chunk of obsidian infused with Warp energy, similar to an athame, giving it the strange power armor piercing properties of a power weapon. I tried to simulate a wood grain grip and handle on the bolter, and just to show how colors can be combined to create something new with the new GW paint line, there is absolutely no pink used on the tentacles holding the bolter and clip. It was done using the Daemonette grey colors, with a Carroburg Crimson shade and Bloodletter glaze.

I see a couple of places I need to touch up the purple armor, but I'd like some thoughts on whether it needs some line highlighting. Right now I haven't used any (which is probably somewhat obvious), because the trim is a little brighter bone than last time.

Thoughts, comments, criticism? Anything that might work better based on what you see? Thanks in advance, everyone!

:jaw: that axe and wood grain are AMAZING, well done! Maybe it's my untrained eye...but I like it how it is..can't see anything wrong with it not having Highlights.

Thanks! The axe is as follows:

Abaddon Black ->

using a 00 brush, stripe Stegadon Scale Green in so that you have a "forest of scaly green thorns" pointed into the axe blade ->

give it a blotchy, mottled black shade with Nuln Oil to try and simulate different stone patterns ->

do the thorn thing again with Sotek Green ->

switch to a 000 brush, do the thorn thing again with Temple Guard Blue ->

do the thorn thing again with a 1:1 mix of Temple Guard Blue:Lothern Blue ->

do just edge highlighting with pure Lothern Blue

You can Coat with 'ArdCoat or other gloss varnish to taste, but the stone should be shiny, however, I noticed that this pretty much destroys the color variations and the Stegadon Green doesn't appear to have shown up at all.

The wood grain is just Rhinox Hide with lines of Skrag Brown painted in parallel with swirls and whorls and knots as you want. Then highlight those lines with Deathclaw Brown. Douse with one or two coats Agrax Earthshade for a pure brown wood.

You could experiment with Reikland Fleshshade to do a more reddish hue to the wood (I wouldn't use Carroburg Crimson, although you could try it and see if it gives you a good cherry wood color).

Ctrl+C, open notepad, Ctrl+V, save as : awesome; Grabs pen, post-it notes, writes furiously, in triple hextuplicate, sticks everywhere.

*looks up*

By all means, do go on... :D

Thanks guys! I'll be honest, the lack of edge highlights in a couple of places (bolter, hands, boots) will probably catch up with me, but I'll hold out for a while I think.

Forté, Slipstreams, anything you want to use, I'd be thrilled to see, because none of this stuff is mine, it's all things I've seen on the Net or in a painting magazine/demonstration somewhere.

I've got all my paint steps saved somewhere, if anyone wants any info on something specific, let me know, I can post them up here.

Edited by Bryan Blaire
Because apparently I can't type or Autocorrect hates me.

Thanks all! I'm still a little bummed that the gloss varnish seems to have erased most of the depth on the axe, but it still looks pretty nice. I may give it a shot without the gloss over the entire blade and instead just on the edges and see how that does.

The_Chaplain, there's actually two different bone styles I use:

For larger areas or where I want to have deep "fake shadows":

1) Base coat with Mournfang Brown

2) Shade recesses plus about 10-15% extra area with Agrax Earthshade

3) Using my "thorn" concept, I go back into almost the entire area except the recesses with Mournfang Brown (I'm sure there's some name for my "thorn" striping idea, I just don't know what to call it, if someone knows a name, please tell me)

4) "Thorn" blend in with Zandri Dust, leaving some of the Mournfang a Brown exposed

5) Repeat step 4 with Ushtabi Bone, leaving some of the Zandri Dust exposed

6) Repeat step 4 with Screaming Skull , leaving some of the Ushtabi Bone uncovered

7) Line/edge highlight sparingly where appropriate with a 1:1 Screaming Skull:White Scar

For smaller areas or where I don't need quite as much depth/I'm being lazy:

1) Base coat with Zandri Dust

2) Shade recesses with Agrax Earthshade, let dry

3) Shade entire area with Agrax Earthshade (this should make the recesses very dark and give you a darker tone across the entire area)

4) "Thorn" blend Zandri Dust into everything but the recesses

Steps 5-7 as above

Using the old GW paints, I would use Bestial Brown instead of Mournfang Brown, Zandri Dust "equivalent" can be made with 1:1 Bestial Brown:Bleached Bone or 1:2 Bestial:Bleached Bone (I would actually use both layers), Bleached Bone instead of Ushtabi Bone, and 2:1 Bleached Bone:Skull White for Screaming Skull, and 1:1 or 1:2 Bleached Bone:Skull White for the final line highlighting.

• 3 months later...

So I decided to bust out the Stormclaw figures and combined some Wolf kit with a new Tact Squad to make some Blood Claws, Grey Hunters and Wolf Guard.

Didn't quite like the brighter blue-grey the Wolves are done with now, so I made a new base color.

Here's the first Blood Claw for some C&C:

gallery_59244_10222_20839.jpggallery_59244_10222_48545.jpg

gallery_59244_10222_74082.jpggallery_59244_10222_78805.jpg

I liked the idea of a dark red background for the company marking, both to give it a little difference from Krom Dragongaze's marking for times when I don't want to use Krom as himself and because I just thought it looked better than the plain armor color.

I also tried something I attempted before with the backpack vents, trying to make them appear that heat has been making the metal glow. However, now that I post them, I realize that I have the colors backward. The inner core should be yellow, while the outer portion should fade from orange to red.

gallery_59244_10222_10757.jpg

Thoughts? Does it look good enough to leave, or does it just seem odd?

I like how you paint matched the weapons to the shoulder pad on either side. It's a nice touch. AMAZING PAINT by the way.

Thanks KBA, the matched weapons and shoulders were totally accidental, but apparently it is good, so now that I'm conscious of it, I will probably keep it going in some fashion. So thank you much for pointing it out! :D. Glad you like the mini(s)!

Looks good, very clean and crisp paint job, as for the vents I think they look good cant really say much for improvement.

Thanks, Dark Rage! I think on the vents, I'm leaving this guy the way he is, but I'll adjust the method so it is reversed on my next guys. Eventually I will likely go back and add some battle damage.