Very good painting Here, clean, crisp and very contrasting.

Your White and bone are really well done too.

With your black have you tried mixing shadow grey with chaos black and blending from the edges of the armour? and then adding a bit of codex grey to make a extreme highlight colour?

Keep it going bro

Rob

Your termies are magical.

:lol: Magical like undead warriors or dragons, or like unicorns?

may be it's the color or the photo but they look like they got a big head....

nice paint job by the way!

Thanks, and yeah, I think that wide disparity in the coloration of the head and torso are lending the appearance of an enlarged head, but they are just normal sized Terminator heads.

Very good painting Here, clean, crisp and very contrasting.

Your White and bone are really well done too.

With your black have you tried mixing shadow grey with chaos black and blending from the edges of the armour? and then adding a bit of codex grey to make a extreme highlight colour?

Keep it going bro

Rob

Glad you like, and thanks for the question. No, I haven't tried mixing shadow grey into chaos black, I've been using Vallejo Model Color Dark Grey, and then working up to Fortress Grey. I'll give it a shot on another model and see how it looks.

Any further CnC from folks here would be appreciated! Next up is claws, hammers and storm shields!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, work has begun some progress. They are now on their way toward having arms! Now it ain't a scene, it's an arms race!

The plan is for black armor and bone supports, similar to the legs of the Terminators. The wire enclosures running down the back of both arms are going to be darkened with washes and then highlighted. The icons on the arms will be bone with brass (where appropriate) and the Crux Terminatus will be in bone. The grip and generator wire housings are also going to be brass, with the conduction wires on the hands being red with a lightning appearance. The exposed wires from the enclosures to the grip are going to be red in combination with black and yellow hazard striped (hopefully I can make that look good). I plan to do the claw blades with red lightning "Cattafish style," which I hope I can make good without having the reference points of the corners of the thunder hammers.

Here's the beginning:

gallery_59244_6371_70634.jpggallery_59244_6371_61991.jpggallery_59244_6371_43533.jpg

Thanks for reading and all the responses, you guys help keep me motivated!

Quick update, hope you guys like! I think I started to feel a little rushed to get it done last night, so some of the lightning got a little too thick. I like the effect, but I may go back and take the white lines along the lower edge of the blades back off. I've always pictured lightning claws with bolts of the lightning energy moving down the claws themselves and between the claws in cascading arcs, but there really isn't a way to paint that, so I thought this effect might look cool. Not sure I totally pulled it off, and I may end up just painting a faded dark red -> red -> orange -> yellow -> white just at the tips version as well.

Anyway, the claws!

gallery_59244_6371_13272.jpggallery_59244_6371_9939.jpggallery_59244_6371_9336.jpggallery_59244_6371_10896.jpg

CnC? Thoughts?

Thanks Grand Master Belial and Dark Apostle Thirst! Unfortunately, I'm a somewhat slow painter, so the second claw has been started, but last night I got somewhat bored and moved on to his hammer and shield. Will post more later!

Further CnC is still helpful and accepted from all!

You sir are an inspiration. I only hope my Angels of Shadow turn out half as good as your Stoneburners. Your Terminators look amazing, and that speeder is just awe-inspiring.

Thanks a bunch 11th Company Dark Master! I like the colors you've picked out for your army and of course I'll chat about anything I've done if you want to know about anything. At the least I can tell you where I snagged the idea from. <_< And in the end, you've gotten farther than I have on most of your ideas on your DiY chapter, at least you have an actual posted IA.

Glad you like the Termis, but what about the speeder is "awe-inspiring"? I don't think it's that good...

Like I said, switched to working on a Thunder Hammer (no progress on the Storm Shield yet though). Thunder Hammer! I like this effect, however, I'm not terribly sure on the border/divides between the dark -> light transitions, but even my thinning and feathering of the paint didn't make it any less stark. Quick pics taken tonight from my desk (colors aren't that great, but were the best I could get with my comp):

Thoughts, ideas, CnC?

gallery_59244_6371_30080.jpggallery_59244_6371_23738.jpggallery_59244_6371_48724.jpggallery_59244_6371_21549.jpg

Edited by Bryan Blaire

The attention to detail is what I find the best aspect. Admittedly my speeders are still only basecoated.

Also do you mean to say that your colour scheme is based on mine? Please say yes, it would be a massive ego boost <_<

Sadly, no, I didn't come up with my color scheme based on yours, but I think you can still have a good ego boost: Your chapter icon is much cooler and complex than mine, and much more original. I hope that you can come up with some decals, but more power to you if you can free hand that. I'm not that willing to free-hand just yet because I don't paint free-hand too well. Heck, I'm worried about actually putting real letting on my guys right now.

What I meant is if you happened to have any questions about something I painted, I can tell you how I did it and if I snagged the idea from someone else that probably has better instructions than me.

I've got three more speeders, all unassembled and sitting in their original production boxes from back when the Tornado and Typhoon only came with metal parts. I'm so glad I have a DA Ravenwing Battleforce box, because I can't stand those heavy metal Landspeeder parts, and the metal assault cannon always looked way too stubby compared to the old Terminator assault cannons.

Ah well :) I plan on doing a lower quality icon on my rank and file guys, that is reserved for banners and officers.

I do have a colour question however. I need a 3rd colour to break up the mass of black and silver. I don't want red robes or guns...what would you recommend?

Really nice paintig, and a very good, suitably dark scheme. In a way, we might say tey look even more "orignal dark angels" than their current dark green incarnation (except for the ravening, of course).

My only (minor) criticsm: i can see some mold lines here and there, especially on some tactical and devastator helmets.

Looking forward to more vehicles and bikes added

I don't want red robes or guns...what would you recommend?

Hmmmm, well, bright silver is somewhat a metallic white/light grey, so you basically have a direct black/white contrast. You can really add almost any color into this, but you may want to consider something that has a tone/hue/whatever that is a midway color between its brightest and its darkest shades, but something along the blue or green lines would probably stand out, however you could go a spot color that is vibrant, such as a bright yellow or orange.

I was never a great art student though, so it is likely that someone with a much better art background (such as DV8) would be a much better person to ask.

Don't change a thing, please, just make more... How small of a brush do you use?

LOL, no problem! My brushes came in a set of rounds and liners from 3/0, 5/0, 10/0 and 20/0. I usually use 10/0 for most of my detail work, but by a stroke of luck, some stray hairs that didn't get cut for the brush actually gave me a 10/0 with a finer point than the 20/0.

Really nice paintig, and a very good, suitably dark scheme. In a way, we might say tey look even more "orignal dark angels" than their current dark green incarnation (except for the ravening, of course).

My only (minor) criticsm: i can see some mold lines here and there, especially on some tactical and devastator helmets.

Looking forward to more vehicles and bikes added

Thank you thank you! Mold lines are my hated enemy. Luckily I've adjusted the color scheme a bit to have black helms, instead of DA green (so that they are more in line with the Deathwalker Candidates), so I'm going to end up going back over those helms, so I'll make sure to shave those blasted things off!

~shivers~ Bikes. Dammit. I've got six of them posed and glued, and then I did a crap job with a black spray and plastic primer in one and the damn things bubbled. Never have gotten them completely stripped. Now they sit there in my cabinet mocking me (and now from behind a Jack o'Lantern, because my lovely wife decided to put a silly temporary stick'em up on the glass front). I'll probably get to them eventually. :D

Very cool colour scheme. I like the contrast between the light and dark areas, and the red is a nice focal point.

Keep it up :lol:

Thanks a bunch! Glad they are getting a good reception.

I think for the next set of both claws and the hammer, I'll hold back a bit on the number of lightning arcs, because they look a little too busy with the current coverage IMO. I'm also thinking of brightening the claw base color a bit.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Awesome very well done I've seen lots since 1989 and this is very nice clean work, I agree with the first poster the wash would help with the face but the rest are just too B). I hope to never have to play this army as it is too nice to shoot up ;) .

After only posting updates in the DA forum since last October, here's an almost completed Tactical Squad:

Combat Squad 1

Combat Squad 2

Insignia painted on Mk 6 armor greaves:

And since my heavy bolter gunner doesn't actually have exposed surfaces on his knees/greaves, here's what I did with his insignia:

More info and pics posted in my DA forum thread!

Recon, sorry for the long delay in answering, but the shoulder pads are just from the Ravenwing upgrade sprue.

DAmedic, glad you like 'em! On my "Belial", I'm actually holding off doing anything to most of those guys in anticipation of a new DA codex, hopefully this year, and I may just end up not using that model any more. I'll possibly update it if that particular configuration becomes more effective though!

Edit: old images deleted. New pictures of the completed Tactical Squad Guias can be found here and here.

Enjoy!

Comments/Criticism?

Edited by Bryan Blaire

• 1 year later...
Thanks SickSix! I'm hoping to have the bike for the Sgt finishe by next Friday, then it will be as fast through the other two as I can manage. I'm hoping to work some Terminators into a vow for the ETL, but I'm not sure I'm confident I'll get it done if I do.

• 2 weeks later...

So I haven't gotten to respond to people's ETL threads like I've wanted, but I'm hoping to soon.

For the time being, I've been trucking along a little bit more on my DV Biker Sgt, who has become Sergeant Temiel of the 2nd Company, Boneseekers. For my inspiration on the bikes, I've been using the following real world example:

gallery_59244_8416_12996.jpg

Now the painted one:

gallery_59244_8416_29502.jpg gallery_59244_8416_32354.jpg

gallery_59244_8416_54488.jpg gallery_59244_8416_56336.jpg

I'm hoping to do the little pin-stripe on the wheel, but I'm still trying to decide whether to do that in red or bone at this time. Red is really supposed to be reserved for those that have become sergeants within the Deathwalkers (1st Company) and then returned back to another company to lead, which Temiel has not done (he's a veteran sergeant, but by virtue of being a Black Knight - vets of the 2nd Company), so his helm will simply have the bone stripe, not a red one.

The deep folds of the robe came out darker than I intended, but the Agrax Earthshade and I had a little disagreement about where it was going to settle and I tried a second application where I wanted it to go. It seems it won that phase of the argument as well. I just couldn't bring myself to redo the whole thing, so that's where it stands now. Hope it still looks good.

I'd also like to hear thoughts on the leather pouches and holster, I used a totally new method I dreamed up one night: Base color of Rhinox Hide -> Highlight with Doombull Brown, light drybrush crosshatched design on the large open faces -> Liberal dousing with Agrax Earthshade -> Edge highlight with Doombull Brown again. I'm considering doing some sharp corner highlights with Tuskgor Fur, but I haven't decided yet. So what are people's thoughts?

The currently partially washed Mournfang Brown trim will be retouched (because some is coming off), washes will be finished, and then painted up to bone. I'm also planning to do weathering on the foot plate and haven't decided how much I will do to the rest of the bike. The outer faces of the winged tail "fins" will also be finished up to bone like the inner faces were. All the icons will be brass on the bike and his armor, including the little red skull on his hand plate right now, to tie it all together. Red will just be a spot color for the wax on the purity seals and possibly on the pin stripe on the front tire (the rear tire stripe is hidden by that massive rear end on the bike).

Questions? Something you want to know how I did? Comments and criticism?