Oh wow, those are so pretty and super smooth. Great job!

Thanks Flint! The camera actually hides the roughness of the grey-white, but they are pretty decent up close.

Is that really a Sub-Zero Elsa!? :lol:

Coming Along nicely . Looking forward to the whole Squad together.

Thanks DSS7! Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting them all done and based! My biggest concern right now is keeping the bone and the white from appearing to be too similar in color. Most of these gems will be red, instead of purple like the Terminator SGT's are.

Thanks Candleshoes, but definitely don't think the grey-white is that good, I've seen better. :lol: I do appreciate it though! I'm hoping to get a guy a night completed with the Ulthuan Grey coats, that way I can start some of the mid tones on the details by Thursday. I. Planning on getting the arms, pauldrons and jump packs assembled, base-coated and on the models before I do any highlighting, so that it looks more natural, but I'll definitely need to do the gems before getting the arms on.

Those death company have a beautiful white whats your secret :jaw:

Thanks GrandMasterSapphon! Really no secret, but it actually isn't white yet. :)

I start with a grey brush-on polyurethane primer from Vallejo. Then I base-coat with Celestra Grey. Shade with Vallejo Pale Grey wash. Then I layer another "base coat" of Ulthuan Grey except in the recesses, and places where there would be shadow, but didn't get hit with the wash, I leave some Celestra Grey showing to aid in the transition. The final highlighting will be done with White Scar.

The other thing (and I won't stop recommending it) is using a flow improver. I use Winsor & Newton personally, but any good acrylic flow improver should help tremendously. I use a LOT less paint now to get good color coverage and can paint in much thinner layers than I ever could using water to thin my paints.

Thats a very similar scheme to how i cheated white with my ravenwing bike wings, i need to figure how to get a bluer white for my world eaters vehicles :D good luck with your painting, the space wolves and angels look nice :D

:thanks: GMS!

As far as a bluer white, what about just using a bit of blue glaze over the shading in the recesses, or even lightly across the entire undercoat? If you paint thin enough layers, the blue tone should still come through.

I did something similar for the white wings on my AR Terminator Sgt's sword blade, but I just used pure glaze as the "shade" for the recesses. Good luck and hope to see what you come up with!

I think this is a record for me... Apparently one of the benefits of not being able to get out and do much means I concentrate more on painting. I've managed to go from assembly to priming (brush on) to base coating, shading, and then layering up to the main colors in about two weeks on five guys! It took me from the beginning of January to the end of July to get a single Terminator Sergeant done!

Here's some armless white Death Company from the Angels Encarmine:

med_gallery_59244_11212_9070.jpg

med_gallery_59244_11212_36052.jpg

gallery_59244_11212_14847.jpg

So this is them layered all the way up to their final standard color, after this it is just highlights. I want to try and get some "natural" line highlights though (not really possible, but I'll give it a go) with all their armament and jump packs. I've purposefully tried to keep a lot of the other colors darker to contrast better with the grayish-white base color, including the bone, which I'm using a 1:1 mix of Zandri Dust:Ushtabi Bone as the mid-tone and I'll use pure Ushtabi Bone for the highlight. The parchment is a base coat of Steel Legion Drab, shaded with Agrax Earthshade, then highlighted with Tallarn Sand.

The red is highlighted up as much as I'll take it though, and all the gems and eyes are done.

So tonight, the bodies! Tomorrow, the arms!

Man, they look mean in white. They're looking fantastic, we are very lucky that you've been stuck at home!

I cannot wait to see the arms and back packs, I always thought the white death company was an awesome idea!!

These look great!

These look fantastic!

Thanks guys! Glad you are enjoying them. I'm pretty happy with getting more figures done faster.

Have to decide on whether I'm going to magnet a couple of these up (they are currently intended to be used for Deathstorm games, but they aren't a very flexible load-out outside that) or just push on. It should be a pretty easy magnet job, but it is more aggravation for me.

• 3 months later...

Just rocked through this whole thread. Definitely have plenty of thoughts to run with now, where I could improve and such, awesome models sir!

Thanks, helterskelter! Is there anything in particular you really wanted to run with? I'm not sure I necessarily have any favorite stuff, but I think some future plans (after I work on the Wolves) are to finish up the Angels Encarmine Death Company and probably a Khornate Marked Reaper (Extinction Angels Chosen), and trying to finish up my TH&SS Deathwalker squad.

I have a really bad habit of starting ideas, and never following through, and sadly, this thread is probably a really good illustration of that.

• 2 months later...

That's a pretty cool colour on those wolves- something in-between the modern baby-blue and the pre-heresy. Sweet.

Thanks Ch@oZ, I really like it, it is pretty spot on to what I was trying to make, the deep grey-blue color at the heart of storms that you see sometimes. All the weapon grips and barrels/blade components are base coated, working on the armor and then weapon casings today.

Hopefully I can keep up the momentum, rather than getting bored and switching to something else, like I usually do. I still have those armless Angels Encarmine Death Company to finish, after all.

So my pack is coming much farther along! Completely forgot to put the rune text for Fenris on the chest of the guy with the large scroll, but oh well. None of the arms are highlighted yet, but that's because I wanted to wait until I got the pauldrons on to make sure I'm doing the right highlights.

Not much in the way of accessories yet, but I've got plans!

med_gallery_59244_10222_149513.jpg

• 6 months later...

Thanks DSS7, I hope you like what's below here:

So much after I got them "Bryan done" (meaning they aren't really complete because they don't have basing or full combat markings detailed, because I haven't come up with them yet), and long after I posted them in the Wolves forum, I realized that I never posted this pack in my thread in my own moderated area.

So here's the Wolf pack in its "Bryan Done" state:

Family photo!

med_gallery_59244_10222_178100.jpg

I particularly like how the weapon markings for these two guys turned out. Definitely going to be thinking of some more to do in the future!

med_gallery_59244_10222_83710.jpg

Still trying to come up with some good bases to do for these guys. Not fully sure what faction these guys will be fighting, had thought about the Orks these guys came with, but I'm not sure. Possibly just a lighter brown-ish wasteland theme.

So that's how they will probably sit for a long while until I get around to deciding what faction the Wolves are fighting (I've thought about Chaos to reflect the Drakeslayers' current engagement on Fenris, but that seems like it might be boring to me and require another Chaos army that I don't currently have).

I have restarted on my Angels Encarmine Death Company, but I will admit to a bit of personal stupidity and impatience. I attached the arms without having them fully painted, and now that I'm trying to work on the details on them, it's getting sloppy and screwing up the nice work I had already accomplished on the bodies. It's extremely frustrating to me and I don't feel like I'm getting details done the way I would normally want to. The magnetized arms aren't bad, because I can just pull those off, but are giving me their own set of issues.

All in all, it's stalled out my work and I find myself dreading going back to painting them and either seek out something else to paint (of which I have WAY too much to accomplish) or move on to doing other things.

Love your take on the Wolves' armor. The newer shots seem bluer than the previous ones - did you switch up the color a bit, or is it the camera? Also really digging the white DC - I was contemplating going that route myself, but the traditional scheme is pretty great too... I guess that means you can't lose, right?

Anyway, great stuff all around! I love all the attention to detail - really rewards close inspection

Edit: Aaaaand I just checked out your VenDread. THAT is what a walking shrine of death should look like!

Edited by elohimalpha

• 2 months later...

Hmmm... Don't know how I've never seen this thread before. Seriously sweet painting man! Super sharp brush work. Great job!

Thanks abadizzle, I'm glad you were able to see this stuff and responded, I really appreciate it. I very much enjoy working on these guys and wish I could get more games in with what I do have done.

Love your take on the Wolves' armor. The newer shots seem bluer than the previous ones - did you switch up the color a bit, or is it the camera?

Nah, it's probably very much a settling out of the pigment in my mixture. I'm hoping that I can get something very similar mixed up with a straight Eshin Grey with one of the blue Tint colors coming that won't settle out on me as much. I'm also going to have to get down and gritty with the mixture I have and get it back up to snuff, I really don't want the color wandering all over the place, since that was the point in mixing up a huge batch of paint in the first place - it should probably also be a prodding to me to actually get things done.

I'm glad you like the color, I think it turned out really well, I was trying for a "dark stormy grey-blue" like you see in heavy thunderclouds.

Also really digging the white DC - I was contemplating going that route myself, but the traditional scheme is pretty great too... I guess that means you can't lose, right?

I really like them, but getting the magnetized arms done and the ones that I glued on have been giving me fits and I get tired of having to repaint details on the torso and legs due to sloppy brush work on my part. I'm sure I'll get them finished one day!

Anyway, great stuff all around! I love all the attention to detail - really rewards close inspection

Edit: Aaaaand I just checked out your VenDread. THAT is what a walking shrine of death should look like!

Thanks for all the comments elohimalpha! Glad you like the detail and the entombed Lauded Knight of the Scouring Whirlwind.

-----//-----

Things are finally settling down in life, so all my armies (Marines - be they cursed, heretic or outright traitor, alongside Ad Mech and foul Xenos) are getting reinforcements and upgrades.

The first of the additions is a new Chapter Champion, the Spiral Dueling Master of Akhundras's Fortress-Monastery:

med_gallery_59244_12574_28770.jpg

med_gallery_59244_12574_34959.jpg

med_gallery_59244_12574_22189.jpg

When will he get paint? That is a very good question. I don't actually know yet.

I'm going to embark on an assembling of almost two years worth of (actually more) sprues from seven different factions to clean out almost five small cabinets worth of stocked up boxes and most of my previous WiP models had to be taken apart or have fallen apart, so with the addition of the sprues from BaC and BoP (of which, Mk4 has so far only appeared in my Wolves and this is the first model I've used Mk3 in), I'm going to go back and revise a lot of the previous WiP stuff I had done to see where I want to incorporate some of these bits.

For too long, I've avoided putting unpainted models together with superglue and plastic glue, but I'm going to charge forward this time, and I'll use the freezer method to get superglued stuff back apart for painting (I'm sure my wife will love plastic models being in the freezer).

I can't wait until we get some more awesome Chaos Marine parts (I liked the styling of the Raptors/Warp Talons box, the DV Chosen and the Khornate stuff for AoS), because I really want to continue my upgrades for my Extinction Angels.

As always, I welcome your comments and criticism.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

• 8 months later...

So once again a forever and a day later, I've begun working on painting up some terrain:

med_gallery_59244_7045_10716.jpg

The plan is to add an orange stripe between the light grey and dark grey, and then do the gear at the base in the Mechanicus split black and white. The plates at the top and bottom will be in black metal with iron bolts and I'm not yet sure what I'm doing for the electrical cabling.