Stoneburners - Chapter Champion (Dueling Master) WiP Model

Bryan Blaire

Home World:

Well you have fleshed out the tribes of Akhundras very well... fixed settlements but very low tech, rivalry between the clans but not outright war, cultural references to the saviour agianst the primordial evil... All boxes ticked - well done! :tu: Why not make your Akhundras your homeworld? A Fortress monastery in the arid hilltops of the desert would give both a knightly reference and a mystic dimension for the Akhundras people... Hey, you'll even get the chance to describe a Fortress Monastery! :D I mean Akhundras is now a fairly detailed setting - it can do with an upgrade in the contex of its place in your Chapter. It's also a good opportunity to make the Stoneburners kind of unique among the Unforgiven as they'd be having a Homeworld of their own... Just a thought.

While that would be more unique, I think that I want to stick with them being more roaming than tied to a specific location. However, yes, I think they would return to Akhundras II (the actual planet) for regular recruiting cycles, but I do want to keep Akhundras II as more their "spiritual" homeworld, much like some Chapters have spiritual Primarchs. I do think that they would keep a small (probably no more than 10 Marines) garrison in a small keep, but that's probably about it.

Combat Doctrine:

Wow! Black sheep even among the Unforgiven? I like the loose cannon character you've given them - they are fanatics equivalent to some Blood Angels successors as in they do not care drawing attention to their exterme actions as long as the job's done. But being repremanded by the rest of the Unforgiven? That's really is putting them in a league of their own because it's not the hunt that's too severe but the fact that they not care so much about the cover up! So more direct and brutal than the average Unforgiven with the risk of becoming a liability? I can see potential there... ;) On the downside they might come accross a little "sloppy". By that I mean that the Unforgiven are like hunters of the Fallen but they also go to great lengths to clean-up the mess so no compromising evidence will leak...

I think this chapter is in stark contrast with Brother Captain Sharp's Angels of Vengeance - they are the "cleaners" of the Unforgiven! :D Maybe you guys should work together on a story!

Glad you like. I was really trying to capture more of the older school feel to the Dark Angels with regard to their brutality (and in some ways, the greater brutality of all Chapters at the time), as well as trying to allude to the stone burners of the Dune saga, where they are "dial a destruction level" atomic weapons. The "sloppiness" is supposed to be a more recent, and the censure was to act as the "dial" on their destructive tendencies. Then again, they don't like most of the "soft" Imperial citizens...

Chapter Organization:

OK, I'm lost... AGAIN! :P

So, company Veterans (2-7th) a bone stripe on black helmet but that also might mean that they are Inner Circle potentials?

All Company Veterans are considered for advancement, but they won't lose the marking even if they are "passed over" - they are just told that they need "more" or something.

And 2nd Company - are they all company veterans - and Inner Circle potentials?

Nah. Their lower mask being bone doesn't actually indicate anything other than a bone "beak" representation.

So they are DW already and could potentially be Inner Circle material (surely they can not join the Inner Circle straight from the un-initiated)?

Well, joining the Deathwalkers would be the first step into the Inner Circle. All members of the Second Company are not Deathwalkers though, no. The Boneseeker veterans are going to be the Black Knight equivalent... Right on the verge of becoming a Deathwalker.

But if they are DW (i.e. Non-Terminator Deathwalkers) then they'll be having white helmets as per your description above...

If any of them are seconded back to any other Company, yes, they will continue to wear the Deathwalker panoply.

Personally I think you have too many signifiers in your army: white helmets, black helmets, white stripes, red stripes, white/black pauldron rims... :confused: Good thing you paint to this fantastic level and we get to see all these in reality!

Nah, there aren't THAT many. ;) But, glad you like the figs! Once I get more stuff painted, maybe I can make a better chart showing how I laid it out.

And to be absolutely fair, this was hardly a detailed force organization - it was more like markings of the Chaopter. I'd like to see the relative hierarchy in the Chapter, how does the Inner Circle works, how is your Chapter different than the Dark Angels? Maybe you want to consider the option (in conjunction with making Akhundas the homeworld) of dedicating the companies to certain Akhundasian clans - a bit like the Salamanders... You already have established a rivalry between the clans - the 3-9 companies might actually been directly drawn from corresponding clans from Akhundas while the 1st and 2nd will be where the clan lineage is phased out completely and the hunt of the Fallen becomes the only conisderation worth... ermm... considering! :)

Yeah, they are basically organized exactly like the Dark Angels. I ran out of gas when it came to that portion. Plus it makes the Codex easier to implement. :D So I'm lazy in that respect.

Don't really want to have anything continue to be devoted to the clans, they are supposed to shed that type of animosity before they leave the 10th Company. Plus they all wouldn't have any clan affiliation, because not all of the Marines are from Akhundras II. Even the ones wearing robes aren't all from there. The Chapter is more a 1000 strong brotherhood, tying all the clans together even in times of strife, etc.

Beliefs:

Excellent ritual mate, Deathwalk! This is trully for the toughest to survive! I also like the changeing of the menaing over the years (somethign that happens in actual life too) and from something associated with criminal behavior it becomes as point of honour and a "coming of age" ritual! And the Boneseekers legend's cool too! A bit metaphysical - it bodes well with understanding the nature of the Hunt.

Look, I really think you've put tons of effort in the background and it shows. I think Akhundas is for all intents and purposes IS the homeworld of the Stone Burners. Make it so! :yes:

Glad you like, but the Deathwalker one is basically a rip off of at least three other book series. It also gives a "cover story" for the broken sword of the Deathwalker company. I like the changing of the ritual, but here's a thought... What if the belief was actually seeded in their culture to be used by the Emperor/a Primarch later. Perhaps a "Reverend Mother" once walked the surface of Akhundras sowing the seeds of a belief to later be exploited when a fighting force was needed. :D (What can I say, I like to steal story elements)

I'm glad you appreciate my weaving of various stories, concepts and myths from different books. Wish I could say the ideas were mine, but not much was. ;). Akhundras II will forever be the spiritual home of the Stoneburners Chapter. :D

• 2 weeks later...

So a little more than a week, but Sergeant Barathiel is finished!

360:

gallery_59244_8077_43789.jpggallery_59244_8077_32380.jpggallery_59244_8077_22681.jpg

He doesn't have any other markings on him at this time, though he may end up with a couple on his "back of the hand" plates in the future. He does bear a red laurel marking, which is differentiated from the bone or iron laurels in that it marks a final squad-mate that stood guarding his fallen battle-brothers until their progenoid glands could be harvested by the Apothecaries. This occurance is what led to his elevation to Company Veteran and eventually his place as a Sergeant.

His name is in "gothic" lettering on the little name banner (but I have decided that nine letters is the maximum I think I can ever fit on there) on his chapter icon, but I accidently cropped it out of the photo I had taken of it and didn't have a copy of the image anywhere. I'll have to grab one at a later time when I'm taking some more shots.

I tried something a little different with his power maul this time. I wanted to emulate a metallic blending across a flat surface from a point of high shine to a low shine, but also give the impression of a colored power field encasing the metal. Additionally, I wanted to show the traditional lightning bolts of a power field on the weapon as well. I also wanted to try and show energy built up in the power generator cell on the back of the maul's haft as well. These images go from right side -> top -> left side -> bottom.

gallery_59244_8077_9296.jpg -> gallery_59244_8077_31435.jpg -> gallery_59244_8077_12419.jpg -> gallery_59244_8077_15277.jpg

A couple of my favorite parts of Sergeant Barathiel are his power pack topper and servo-skull:

gallery_59244_8077_29714.jpg

I really liked Elmo's idea of putting the company marking on the shield (his is on one of his Dreads), and even though I already have it on his backpack, I thought it was appropriate for Sgt Barathiel to also bear the company marking on a forward facing portion of his armor. I like how the little servo skull turned out and I think that I will be using that as an "auspex" upgrade on my units. I like the idea of a little servo-skull being sent out to float around making location notes, etc, and relaying them to the squad leader to lower the enemy's ability to make full use of cover.

Sergeant Barathiel and his completed combat squad, finishing off the second Tactical squad assigned to the Stoneburners 4th Company:

gallery_59244_8077_34826.jpg

And my "Completed Works" army as it currently stands:

med_gallery_59244_5847_244651.jpg

(A larger image of this can be seen in my gallery - this was just taken on the larger portion of my painting tray, I'll have to get a better image when I get more stuff done)

I'd really like some C&C on the power maul if nothing else, since it's a new idea for me to try, before I decide to expand or can it for the rest of my sergeants holding power weapons.

Thanks all, hope you enjoy!

Really good work Bryan, as always. I especially like the chapter markings on the angel's shield atop the backpack. Regarding the maul, I think it works really well. It definitely gives the impression that the energy field is heating up the metal of the maul as Spaced Hulk mentioned.

:tu:

Well I'm glad it is being received well. Should I have done anything different on the maul? I was looking at possibly having a white core on the bolts the next time (or painting white bolts then using the Bloodthirster glaze over that around the edges of the bolts, then glazing the rest of the weapon). The heating up effect wasn't really what I was going for, but its interesting it looks like that, so cool!

Thanks guys!

Well this stuff is awesomesauce indeed,

The power mace rocks the imperium to its foundations and i really dig ozzy the auspex ;-)

top notch work indeed!!! the pwr pack topper's colors are worthy... consider them stolen!!

Mithril

Well this stuff is awesomesauce indeed,The power mace rocks the imperium to its foundations and i really dig ozzy the auspex ;-)top notch work indeed!!! the pwr pack topper's colors are worthy... consider them stolen!!Mithril

Thanks Mithrilforge, glad you enjoyed them! I really have a lot of fun making stuff up for these guys, so it's really neat that other people like them a well.

Ozzy the Auspex! I love it, that is so getting used!

Which part of the toppers colors do you like?

Edit: BTW, I really did like your coloration of the blade on your Librarian, so I hope you don't mind if I steal it some and combine it with a description of a Warp flare I found in Ravenwing (I think) when I do finally get around to painting my mini.

These are amazing, just so crisp and clean, great work, I will keep a close eye on this thread in the future!

Thank you thank you sir! I really like your DV minis and the new look on the Dread you have!

Ok Bryan - I am amazed and stunned.... need to sit down!

The Maul looks great and different, the effect works well with the lightning and glow - very impressed.

You have added loads of great detail and turned the little shield idea into a work of art!

Consider me addicted - more plastic please :tongue.:

:lol: :thanks: Elmo! Glad everyone seems to like the maul power effect, guess I will be continuing to use that on my bladed weapons.

I definitely have four more Tactical Squad marines to do, plus their sergeant (who will be 7th Company), then I really want to look hard at what I'm doing next. I have six bikes already set up on bases, although they are marred by a bad spray primer job that I've never been able to clean up, and a seventh set up to make an attack bike. If I complete all that, coupled with the one Tornado speeder I already have that needs a bit of work, I will have a full Ravenwing squadron.

Then again, I have four Terminators waiting to have their TH/SS done and then nine LC arms to complete as well. Along with that, I really want to do at least one Assault Squad member (mostly so I can paint my 8th Company marking), make one 9th Company Devastator (for the same reason) and a single 3rd Company and 6th Company Tactical squad marines each (then I'll have one of each company marking painted).

After that... Man do I have a lot of bits and boxes left (I STILL have a Nephilim, Whirlwind, Vindicator, Predator, Land Raider, two Drop Pods and three Speeders that have never even seen a paint can). I really need to get working...

So a little more than a week, but Sergeant Barathiel is finished!

A couple of my favorite parts of Sergeant Barathiel are his power pack topper and servo-skull:

gallery_59244_8077_29714.jpg

Which part of the toppers colors do you like?

Edit: BTW, I really did like your coloration of the blade on your Librarian, so I hope you don't mind if I steal it some and combine it with a description of a Warp flare I found in Ravenwing (I think) when I do finally get around to painting my mini.

what i love about the topper is the all bone color and the splash of color on his shield is very bold and vibrant!

as to using the "Mithril warp blade effect"... go for it, it would be an honor to see someone with your great looking stuff using it :thanks:

Cheers Mithril

I vote for the terminators, Bryan. My experience is that they are a lot quicker and less frustrating to paint than bikes, which seem to take forever! (Although that might just be because of my prime-layer-wash-wash-wash-glaze-graphite line-varnish paint job! ;) )

WiP state 1 for LPC on Squad Sebriel (Stoneburners 7th Company Tactical Squad):
sml_gallery_59244_8168_15868.jpg

Gallery Link Here

what i love about the topper is the all bone color and the splash of color on his shield is very bold and vibrant!
as to using the "Mithril warp blade effect"... go for it, it would be an honor to see someone with your great looking stuff using it :thanks:

Cheers Mithril

Thanks Battle-Brother! The colors on the topper are to represent the Akhundras depiction of the Angel of Death. The robes are the same sandy tan as the robes of the Marines with the bone colored wings of death and the burning sword of the blazing sands of the deep erg.

I'll see about getting my Librarian pushed up on my painting table to see what I can do with the blade. If it looks half as nice as yours, I will be happy.

I vote for the terminators, Bryan. My experience is that they are a lot quicker and less frustrating to paint than bikes, which seem to take forever! (Although that might just be because of my prime-layer-wash-wash-wash-glaze-graphite line-varnish paint job! :wink: )

Hah! Perhaps I will do the Librarian and then finish up the CC Terminators. I think that my painting method and yours are very similar. :biggrin.:

• 2 weeks later...

So Squad Sebriel has had a little work done:

med_gallery_59244_8168_67515.jpg

I'd like to give a big thanks to 1000Heathens for inspiring two of the guys here, the one on the far right and the Marine in the center, with his awesome Marines Malevolent.

Center guy's converted chest plate:

gallery_59244_8168_14046.jpg

New Power Pack (from the new Ravenwing kit, I couldn't resist the Gothic-ness):

gallery_59244_8168_30795.jpg

And finally, his outward attack posture gladius (doesn't actually count as anything on the model, but I think it looks pretty cool):

gallery_59244_8168_7306.jpg

The conversion on the blade isn't quite a smooth or straight as I'd like, but it took me forever (and two other broken crossguards) to get to that point.

C&C always welcome! Hope you guys enjoy!

Where did you get that chest plate or how did you do it!!!!

I DEMAND YOU QUENCH MY CURIOSITY (pleaaaaaaaase)

LOL, of course! It's a Grey Knight PA kit chest plate with the pins inside snipped off and attached to a regular back plate. I don't think I filed/fitted it quite right to the back plate, so I will probably have to use Green Stuff some or just ignore the minor gap, but it should be able to be shaped smoothly enough to fit without a gap, just work carefully. It is a super-minor conversion, I just shaved the Inquisition lock off the belt piece and cut an angled style groove down the center.

That backpack is too cool! I haven't really opened my new RW Command box yet ...... must check it out!

And I like the reverse grip gladius too - very nice :tu:

Yeah, I really like that pack and there is one with an alcove and angel statuette in it on one of the others in that set. All the rest have a lot of RW iconography. I think I will be doing a black inset with bone skull and a brass rim around it, with my normal green pack with black vent posts.

The gladius was a pain. It's a Grey Knight falchion (the short swords, I think they called them falchions) blade cut down on a Grey Knight arm, the pommel from a RW power sword (the Sammael one from the Battleforce) and the guard is actually the back end of a melta gun where the emitter connects with the post that fits onto the body of the weapon.

I should be able to get some paint on them tonight.

Oh...I thought you had actually carved the "vengeance" on the chest and I was all wound up!

How can you play with my feelings in such a terrible way? *** sobs ***

BTW, the Barathiel is SUPERB: original robes, I like the contrast of the white in the front of the helmet and the right pad feels like you spent A LOT of work therw!

Center guy's converted chest plate:

gallery_59244_8168_14046.jpg

And finally, his outward attack posture gladius (doesn't actually count as anything on the model, but I think it looks pretty cool):

gallery_59244_8168_7306.jpg

The conversion on the blade isn't quite a smooth or straight as I'd like, but it took me forever (and two other broken crossguards) to get to that point.

C&C always welcome! Hope you guys enjoy!

Consider both idea's stolen :)...

I always look forward you your updates.

Archived