Stoneburners - Chapter Champion (Dueling Master) WiP Model

Bryan Blaire

Hi Bryan,quick question regarding Squad Temiel's Sergeant....you've painted the head without basecoating the rest of the torso. Do you intend to use the Imperial Primer as a paint on primer, rather than spraying? If so, is it any good? If not, how do you accomplish priming with paritally painted minis such as this?cheersfmp

Actually, I've been really frustrated with any primer lately (spray primer made some really bad spots on my last set of bikes where I'm almost disgusted enough with them to just toss them), so I have pretty much just said :cuss and painted directly on my last few models with the new GW paints. Once they've been sealed, I haven't noticed any difference between them and primed models. Something I did discover: I have never actually washed my models before this guy, so I got pretty frustrated with the paint coming off the surface so easily, even the primers. This model portion got washed first time I've ever done it and, mercy mercy, I have had 0 issues with paint rubbing off.

The bikes and stuff will probably end up brush primed with Imperial Primer after a good wash though, I've found it to be pretty good when new. My current stuff is the first pot I've had and I left it open a bit too long, so it's a little chunky.

Very nice indeed. Again!

Thanks Master Gillyfish! :D

No point weilding the mighty power of Modness and not closing a thread here or there just for fun :tongue.:

Warm up the meltas :wink:

Melta Stobz for changing his avatar again so he's unrecognizable! :teehee:

That biker looks great Bryan. The bone is super smooth. Quite how did you get it so nice?

Melta Stobz for changing his avatar again so he's unrecognizable! :teehee:

That biker looks great Bryan. The bone is super smooth. Quite how did you get it so nice?

Hah!  I should do that to him, huh?  :devil:

The bone is done totally with the new GW paint line on a wet palette.  I use Mournfang Brown, Agrax Earthshade in the recesses and shadowed areas, painted back up with Mournfang Brown, then Zandri Dust, Ushabti Bone, and then highlighting with Screaming Skull.  On the arm and wrist band I just did a top highlight across the whole top, while on the fingers and pauldron I tried to do more of a line highlight.

So I haven't gotten to respond to people's ETL threads like I've wanted, but I'm hoping to soon.

For the time being, I've been trucking along a little bit more on my DV Biker Sgt, who has become Sergeant Temiel of the 2nd Company, Boneseekers. For my inspiration on the bikes, I've been using the following real world example:

gallery_59244_8416_12996.jpg

Now the painted one:

gallery_59244_8416_29502.jpg gallery_59244_8416_32354.jpg

gallery_59244_8416_54488.jpg gallery_59244_8416_56336.jpg

I'm hoping to do the little pin-stripe on the wheel, but I'm still trying to decide whether to do that in red or bone at this time. Red is really supposed to be reserved for those that have become sergeants within the Deathwalkers (1st Company) and then returned back to another company to lead, which Temiel has not done (he's a veteran sergeant, but by virtue of being a Black Knight - vets of the 2nd Company), so his helm will simply have the bone stripe, not a red one.

The deep folds of the robe came out darker than I intended, but the Agrax Earthshade and I had a little disagreement about where it was going to settle and I tried a second application where I wanted it to go. It seems it won that phase of the argument as well. I just couldn't bring myself to redo the whole thing, so that's where it stands now. Hope it still looks good.

I'd also like to hear thoughts on the leather pouches and holster, I used a totally new method I dreamed up one night: Base color of Rhinox Hide -> Highlight with Doombull Brown, light drybrush crosshatched design on the large open faces -> Liberal dousing with Agrax Earthshade -> Edge highlight with Doombull Brown again. I'm considering doing some sharp corner highlights with Tuskgor Fur, but I haven't decided yet. So what are people's thoughts?

The currently partially washed Mournfang Brown trim will be retouched (because some is coming off), washes will be finished, and then painted up to bone. I'm also planning to do weathering on the foot plate and haven't decided how much I will do to the rest of the bike. The outer faces of the winged tail "fins" will also be finished up to bone like the inner faces were. All the icons will be brass on the bike and his armor, including the little red skull on his hand plate right now, to tie it all together. Red will just be a spot color for the wax on the purity seals and possibly on the pin stripe on the front tire (the rear tire stripe is hidden by that massive rear end on the bike).

Questions? Something you want to know how I did? Comments and criticism?

I think the Stone Burners are becoming my favourite Chapter... Bryan, you might create a cult following! :lol:

Since you mention the pouches I think they could benefit from a bit (just a bit mind you) sharper highlight to define them better. Or it ay be the lighting of the picture that makes them a bit on the darker side!

I also think your bone white is really top notch - waaay better than the earlier versions a few years back...

Can't wait for those wheels! ;)

Edit: Stobz, in what Universe is your current Avatar better than the Daemon? Really, indulge me...

Man, he's going to look fantastic!!!

The deep shading in the robes looks excellent,I am a fan of visual depth and much prefer yours over GeeDubs flat looking ones.

I agree with Semper, bung a HL on the pouches, fortress grey would work nicely. I have no idea what Tuskgor Fur looks like. Using a grey will add depth to them too.

You'd better gs the seams along the front and on the wheels, if you don't that will be all I ever notice; a bit like undrilled barrels :devil:

Semper: I'm in disguise to avoid Bryan's melta ;) This way I just look like the lowly Vet Sgt I am and not some evil Daemon thingie from teh warp.

I think the Stone Burners are becoming my favourite Chapter... Bryan, you might create a cult following! :lol:

Since you mention the pouches I think they could benefit from a bit (just a bit mind you) sharper highlight to define them better. Or it ay be the lighting of the picture that makes them a bit on the darker side!

Hah! Marines are all indoctrinated in the Chapter cult... :D

I'll edge them with a little Tuskgor Fur and see how it looks. I do want them very dark brown though, because I'm already using too many variations of brown in the mini, the leather is the only really dark one.

Beautifully crisp painting Bryan, as usual. How did you do the power pack on the chainsword?

My thanks, battle brother! The power pack is really simple: Base with Warplock Bronze -> Paint all flat exposed surfaces with Brass Scorpion -> Wash entire pack with Agrax Earthshade to dull the metal to a more matte appearance -> Edge highlight with Runelord Brass

On some of my other brass items, after the Agrax, I sometimes go back over about half of the previous Brass Scorpion with another layer of Brass Scorpion to enhance the shine, but that depends on whether I want a newer looking metal or older one.

Man, he's going to look fantastic!!!

The deep shading in the robes looks excellent,I am a fan of visual depth and much prefer yours over GeeDubs flat looking ones.

I agree with Semper, bung a HL on the pouches, fortress grey would work nicely. I have no idea what Tuskgor Fur looks like. Using a grey will add depth to them too.

You'd better gs the seams along the front and on the wheels, if you don't that will be all I ever notice; a bit like undrilled barrels :evil

Ah, silly Stobz, the Inner Circle has already marked you for additional observation anyway. ;)

Glad you like the robes, I tried to make them match the upper robes as best I could.

The pouches are brown though (perhaps that's not showing up in the images though). Tuskgor Fur is a little brighter brown (the entire line looks like they took the old Scorched Brown and added some Bleached Bone to it or something in progressive stages, it's a warmer brown without being bright brown like Vermin Brown or something). Why the Fortress Grey and how would it add depth?

Dang you about the seams! I had resigned myself about them and promptly forgotten them. Now I can't not see them. Bah! Where's my Liquid GS...

So, I have come to a really silly sticking point while working on this bike and I'd like some advice: what the heck should I paint the little buttons on the handle bars and center console. On the bars, there is a little downward triangle button that looks like a yield sign, so I was thinking of painting it either yellow or red. Below that is a round button, and I was considering painting that green for "Go", but that seems stupid because most bikes have a rotational control for the throttle. I guess one could be the gearing, because there don't appear to be any pedal controls like on a motorcycle, and there aren't any brake levers/pedals either. Maybe one round button is the weapon trigger?

Anyway, the button lay outs: two downward triangles and two round buttons on the handle bars, two square buttons, one round one and one depression that looks like a square button under the console screen. Suggestions for paint schemes for these things?

Right. Captain Semper's theory: the round buttons are for firing the bolters. Hence RED. The triangles could be flash lights or one could be gear changing and the other for... ermm...:unsure.: nevermind: WHITE! Do not be afraid of white - it looks better than you'd think! :wink:

Archived