Stoneburners - Chapter Champion (Dueling Master) WiP Model

Bryan Blaire

I'm sure whatever you do it will be awesome....

I went for this

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz66/jonbrooks_photo/Dark%20Angels/CIMG0792.jpg

Red warning triangles with gunmetal buttons underneath

Ice blue (cause I don't use it very often so it stands out) and red under the monitor.

I would not even try to guess what any of them are meant to do but I am sure that indicators is definately not one of the uses :teehee:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys for the suggestions, I haven't been idle with them.

First up, the 360 for Veteran Sergeant Temiel as he currently stands (or sits on his hog):

gallery_59244_8416_72994.jpg gallery_59244_8416_30221.jpg

gallery_59244_8416_41076.jpg gallery_59244_8416_23493.jpg

Still have the shoulder scroll, purity seals, touch ups, battle damage and highlighting to do, along with the melta-bomb and backpack, and the squad designation (still deciding if I'm going to do a simple number or something a little more elaborate), and then this fella's main body is all done.

Hopefully Captain Semper can see the pin stripe on the tire. :wink:

So I took Pbenner and Elmo's advice and went with purple and blue for buttons. I tried to make the recessed area appear to be glowing purple (that I'm going to have to work on), and then went for as much of the primary and secondary color spectrum as I could fit. :biggrin.: I really like how the view screen turned out, but I should have made it a little brighter:

gallery_59244_8416_19608.jpg

And finally, the progress on the winged fairing. I think the light turned out well this time:

gallery_59244_8416_21395.jpg

C&C? How does the highlighting on the pouches and holster look now? I tried to brighten them up a bit!

Pouches and holster look very nice now :thumbsup:

the wax seals are excellent, and add a nice touch of colour :smile.:

I wonder, though, if Temiel's head could do with being a a shade lighter?

Thanks facmanpob! Glad some of it is looking better! I always appreciate the advice you guys give.

On that note, based on the advice of Alpha PTP and facmanpob, I added another Druchii Violet shade around the eyes, an Agrax Earthshade wash around the edge of the mask to give the face/mask edge better definition, and highlighted with a 3:1 Ratskin Flesh:Skrag Brown, then a brightest highlight with just watered down Ratskin Flesh:

gallery_59244_8416_850.jpg

Thoughts? Any better looking? More C&C?

Thanks facmanpob! Glad some of it is looking better! I always appreciate the advice you guys give.

On that note, based on the advice of Alpha PTP and facmanpob, I added another Druchii Violet shade around the eyes, an Agrax Earthshade wash around the edge of the mask to give the face/mask edge better definition, and highlighted with a 3:1 Ratskin Flesh:Skrag Brown, then a brightest highlight with just watered down Ratskin Flesh:

gallery_59244_8416_850.jpg

Thoughts? Any better looking? More C&C?

Yeah, I'm liking the changes :thumbsup: I only have to look in the mirror to get a baldy slap head to compare with Temiel's :wink: In the earlier pictures the top of his head looked a bit too 'leathery', if that's the correct word, bu the close up is looking very realistic, especially with the increased definition around the mask and eyes. Looking good!

One question I forgot to ask earlier....what is the red you used for your final highlight on the wax seals? I tend to go for blood red highlights over red gore but yours looks lighter than that.....is it Wild Rider Red?

Yeah, I have been following this formula for the reds on this guy: Khorne Red -> Carroburg Crimson -> Khorne Red -> Mephiston Red -> Evil Sunz Scarlet -> Wild Rider Red

Every now and then I toss the barest hint of Troll Slayer Orange onto a model as a small dot/line, but I don't believe I did that on the wax.

Thanks for the comments guys! Now it's on to finishing the fairing and backpack!

Thanks a bunch Galthan and Stobz!

So the fairing is done and applied! It's on to the backpack, and then the final details and highlighting!

gallery_59244_8416_21858.jpg

So, the eternal question... what color am I going to highlight the black with? Pure grey, dingy grey, or blue-grey. Decisions, decisions.

I don't know what colour you 'should HL black with, but I use 50/50 Codex grey/Black then 50/50 Fortress grey/Black then ultra fine straight Fortress grey. Occasionally use Badab wash to help blend but sometimes it obscures the greys too much so care or water is needed.

You are an expert in translating old paint to the new range, so get into it and you will create something awesome!!!

s

Although blue-grey is one of my favorite effects I think it'll clash with the rest of your pallette. It sort of cries out for some grey shade here. Just do it very dark - you know very subtle... I'd avoid sharp highlights on the bike, although on larger surfaces they may be OK. When you reach the point where you're unsure if this is enough, it's enough! :D

I'd stay away from the blue I think, as I can't imagine it working with the rest of the palette. I'd be tempted to try an "earthy" grey, maybe with a bit of vermin brown in it.....

Okay, let's see what you guys think:

Highlight Test 1 (Dark Brown - slightly grey): Dryad Bark -> Gorthor Brown -> Baneblade Brown

gallery_59244_8416_935.jpg

Now it's possible this one could be made darker by simply washing with some Nuln Oil carefully over it. However, this is straight paint at this point.

Highlight Test 2 (Dingy Grey): 2:1 Skavenblight Dinge:Abaddon Black -> Skavenblight Dinge -> Stormvermin Fur

gallery_59244_8416_24385.jpg

Highlight Test 3 (Pure, brighter grey): Eshin Grey -> Dawnstone -> Administratum Grey

gallery_59244_8416_14502.jpg

Highlight Test 4 (bright blue-grey): 2:1 The Fang: Abaddon Black -> The Fang -> Russ Grey -> Fenrisian Grey

gallery_59244_8416_19966.jpg

Highlight Test 5 (dark blue-grey, almost grey-teal): 2:1 Dark Reaper:Abaddon Black -> Dark Reaper -> Thunderhawk Blue

gallery_59244_8416_11044.jpg

So, not sure exactly which one to go with, but at this point, I'm leaning toward either the dingy grey version, however, I think the brown might be interesting, as might the dark grey-blue. Thoughts, recommendations?

It's a toss up between 1 and 2 for me. 4 and 5 are cool, but don't fit with the rest of the paint scheme, and 3 is a bit boring ;)

1 meshes with the scheme best in my mind, but 2 offers a slight accent which you may prefer (my wife is always banging on about accent colours in our house).

...or just some subtle placements of boltgun metal to give the impression of worn edges?

Otherwise - I'm preferring the Highlight Test 3 (Pure, brighter grey). I think the bone one is nice too but worry it'll make your bikers look overall too brown.

Highlight Test 5 (dark blue-grey, almost grey-teal) is my second choice as its quite refreshing I think.

Cheers

I

Archived