Stoneburners - Chapter Champion (Dueling Master) WiP Model

Bryan Blaire

Nice work Bryan. I would go for no. 4 myself.

No. 1 is just too much bone/brown on the model

No. 2 is a often seen colour

No. 3 is too bright

No. 5 is too blue for me

Take with pinch of salt as it is ony an opinion :biggrin.:

So here's a question: since the Boneseekers myth actually has them ride predator birds as a spirit, I was considering making different "flights" (RWAS, RWSS, etc) distinguished by having different highlight colors OR having different highlight colors dependent on the type of craft used. In the second situation, the highlight colors within a squad would vary based on the vehicle (bikes and attack bikes would have one highlight color, speeders a different one, heavy speeders another, and the aircraft also a different one). The colors would be based on actual predator birds, with most eagles and hawks being brown coloration based, with some hawks also being dark grey or dark blue-grey. For the larger vehicles, it would probably be light or dark grey, similar to condors. If I do it based on squads, I will probably assign a bird type to each squad and highlight based on that.

Does that seem too chaotic and a color riot?

If I stick with a single color for everything, I'm really leaning toward highlight type 5, the dark grey-teal, as that is very similar to the coloration of a Peregrine falcon's back and wing feathers (and I think being the fastest member of the animal kingdom is a good thing for the Ravenwing analogs to represent).

Edit: since I have a color problem of sorts, I am just going to go with Highlight 2 right now, and if it doesn't look good, then I'll consider other things.

Alright, so I'm going to call him done. I present Sergeant Temiel of the Boneseekers, riding his mount Breaker of Chains:

gallery_59244_8416_16280.jpg

gallery_59244_8416_14684.jpg

gallery_59244_8416_87512.jpg

The seal fabric and scroll on the pauldron looks a little oddly colored in the photo, but it is painted the same way as the other ones. Not sure exactly what happened in the photo, but it looks the same IRL.

Now it's on to the remainder of the squad!

Done? Done? You call THAT done???

Get a base on him this instant Mr Bryan Sir :wink:

Very nice work mate, maybe a little blackening of the exhaust pipes to finish him off (and I hesitate to mention, but will he have a squad number on his shoulder pad?)

Crazy Stobz

BTW: I'm not here to make your life easy :tongue.:

Looks excellent! I think the highlight worked really well - it was a good choice. I really like the modest use of it too, just enough to outline the shape... This is really top notch stuff.

Obviously Crazy Stobz has a point regarding the base, but I'm sure you did not just ignore it, but it's in the pipeline. Oh and the blackening of the exhausts? Totally a matter of preference, especially as the bike is free of heavy tear and wear in general anyway... Squad number is also a good point, I was looking at the model's details and I have to tell you that if Stobz had not pointed it out I would have missed it! :)

Yes, Stobz is our new weapon in the hunt of the Fallen. Leave him in the same cell with one of our Fallen brothers for a night and they'll sign anything in the morning... :D

Sgt Temiel is pretty damned good ain't he?

Bryans style is very clean and I don't expect to see too much in the way of weathering/battle damage etc.

I was mostly being cheeky as you know, it's what I do to 'interrogate' the hell out of people :P

s

:lol:

So I wasn't planning to darken the bright exhaust parts because I was trying to emulate that Harley Night Rod motorcycle (which has bright silver only on the brakes, lower front fork, engine, and the exhaust pipes. However, I'm open to ideas, just don't want to darken much of it (it actually has already been washed twice with Nuln Oil, but re-brightened and I tried to leave it darkened in the recesses), probably nothing beyond the end of the pipes.

He's done for the ETL (although my wife reminded me that I did intend - and vow - to do a melta-bomb, so I'll have to squeeze that in somewhere), but yes, I will do a base once I get an idea for it (as well as some highlighting and grit on the tires) and I'm honestly not sure if I will be marking the squads yet, or how if I do.

Thank all of you guys here for all your advice (and wading through my crap) and all the nice comments (and Stobz's C&C, don't make my life any easier bud ;) ).

Not a bad attempt, Bryan....you know, for your first bike and all! ;)

Nah, joking, very good as usual - some lovely depth to the colours on the robes and excellent highlighting on the wax seals and around things like the leather pouches. As Temiel's armour has very clean lines I would steer clear of darkening up the exhaust. The armour and bike both look like they've just come from the loving attention of the Techmarines, and you can almost picture him rolling down the ramp of the Thunderhawk, to claim some verdant world in the Emperor's name.......come back 3 weeks later and he'll be covered in mud and :cuss , with tattered robes and dents everywhere! :D

In fact.....there's a challenge - get yourself a 2nd Dark Vengeance Ravenwing Sergeant, and paint him as he would be at the end of the campaign rather than at the start as I envisage him here.....(assuming that you've got oodles of free time of course.....;) )

• 3 months later...

Back to the Stoneburners!

4th Company Master Furael (Commander of Hybreon IV Strike Force):

gallery_59244_8904_42173.jpg gallery_59244_8904_34304.jpg

Command Squad:

gallery_59244_8904_1176.jpg

Apothecary (with additional vial/gene-seed container pack mag-locked to leg):

gallery_59244_8904_6715.jpg gallery_59244_8904_51116.jpg

Company Champion (not a very effective unit member, but I think the model is cool, so I wanted to put a new one together):

gallery_59244_8904_40670.jpg gallery_59244_8904_1765.jpg

Standard Bearer keeps trying to fall apart (they are all just tacky'd together at the moment), so I'll have to get a set of images when I get him more glued together. Still unsure exactly which banner I want to paint up right now.

Additional squad members:

gallery_59244_8904_18229.jpg gallery_59244_8904_38647.jpg

Power Halberd (Axe according to the BGB) and Storm Shield:

gallery_59244_8904_36653.jpg gallery_59244_8904_1122.jpg

I have a shooty command squad I'm currently putting together for the 6th or 7th Company, will probably be two plasma gunners, and two combi-plasmas, and a Company Master with Combi-Plasma to be set with the Standard of Devastation standard bearer.

Thoughts, C&C on the models?

Master Furael looks good - a lot of detail on the new plastics, no? :biggrin.:

Same applies for the apothecary, but I have to confess,the vials on his leg look a bit oddly positioned... Also the mini in general looks a bit busy to me. Apoth helmet, torso, shoulder pad, ornate chainsword... Maybe this is a case where less should be more? Unless you have already glued everything, in which case it's not worth removing - just see it through and see what you come up with.

Agreed on the Company Champ - rule of cool trumps everything! And he does look cool - nice stance. And the use of the LC with the walking robed figure look ominus - and just right!

Now I particularly like the halberd - a very original choice. Also the use of the BA shoulder pad looks fititng in this case. Do you plan to paint the feathers white - or black? :devil:

Obviously the main thing here is the banner. I really want to see what you'll come up with, as this will not be the focal point for the squad but one of th focal points for the army too.

On phone at the mo so must be brief:

Great use of RW Command box bits, especially the company masters arms;

Lightning claw dude has excellent pose!;

In fact I like everything apart from the apothecary bike bit on the thigh - just think it's too bulky to work.

Edit - ninja'd :)

Looking very good!

Perhaps for the Apothecary rather than attaching the pack to the leg you could fit it onto the lower half of the backpack by scraping off the tubing there, looks like it shouldn't be wider than the exhaust vents so might not look as out of place.

Alright, so I'm going to call him done. I present Sergeant Temiel of the Boneseekers, riding his mount Breaker of Chains:

gallery_59244_8416_16280.jpg

gallery_59244_8416_14684.jpg

gallery_59244_8416_87512.jpg

The seal fabric and scroll on the pauldron looks a little oddly colored in the photo, but it is painted the same way as the other ones. Not sure exactly what happened in the photo, but it looks the same IRL.

Now it's on to the remainder of the squad!

My god BB..I just saw this :eek: .... absolutely supercalifragilisticexpialidocious...... crisp and brilliant.!!

SG

It is indeed. Beautiful.

I do like the plastics you're putting together, but the sword arm position for the master doesn't look quite right to me. Similarly (probably because of the tac) one of the apothecary's arms looks a little too low to me, but that should be easy to remedy.

I have a shooty command squad I'm currently putting together for the 6th or 7th Company, will probably be two plasma gunners, and two combi-plasmas, and a Company Master with Combi-Plasma to be set with the Standard of Devastation standard bearer.

That ain't no BA pad...its just the base for sculpting a lion maw (sp?) which will simply bring your opponents to their knees due to your awesomeness!

As for the Halberd/axe...if you could pose it in a more "thrusting" way it would look WICKED.

As in "pointy tip goes in the opponent, then you pull away and repeat the process".

Can do a diagram if you need to understand this advanced concept :P

That ain't no BA pad...its just the base for sculpting a lion maw (sp?) which will simply bring your opponents to their knees due to your awesomeness!

As for the Halberd/axe...if you could pose it in a more "thrusting" way it would look WICKED.

As in "pointy tip goes in the opponent, then you pull away and repeat the process".

Can do a diagram if you need to understand this advanced concept :tongue.:

Just to throw another spanner in the works you could have him resting the halberd on his shoulder as he surveys the field for his next victim, something similar to this:

http://i.imgur.com/JZTHD.jpg

Very nice Company master and command, great mix of different kits also really like the use of robes and tabards in a squad, have to agree with semper about the vials on his legs but other than that a very impressive squad.

DR

Master Furael looks good - a lot of detail on the new plastics, no? :biggrin.:

Definitely, I'm loving them so far!

Same applies for the apothecary, but I have to confess,the vials on his leg look a bit oddly positioned... Also the mini in general looks a bit busy to me. Apoth helmet, torso, shoulder pad, ornate chainsword... Maybe this is a case where less should be more? Unless you have already glued everything, in which case it's not worth removing - just see it through and see what you come up with.

Yeah, common comment on the vials, going to work with them and see what happens. Nothing is glued yet, so plenty of options. I'll trade it out with a plain chainsword and move the vials around some.

Agreed on the Company Champ - rule of cool trumps everything! And he does look cool - nice stance. And the use of the LC with the walking robed figure look ominus - and just right!

Now I particularly like the halberd - a very original choice. Also the use of the BA shoulder pad looks fititng in this case. Do you plan to paint the feathers white - or black? :devil:

Obviously the main thing here is the banner. I really want to see what you'll come up with, as this will not be the focal point for the squad but one of th focal points for the army too.

Thanks! The feathers will probably be bone, although I haven't decided if that guy is a full Deathwalker or just a potential.

On phone at the mo so must be brief:

Great use of RW Command box bits, especially the company masters arms;

Lightning claw dude has excellent pose!;

In fact I like everything apart from the apothecary bike bit on the thigh - just think it's too bulky to work.

Edit - ninja'd :smile.:

:thumbsup:   carry on Sir

Thanks gents!

Looking very good!

Perhaps for the Apothecary rather than attaching the pack to the leg you could fit it onto the lower half of the backpack by scraping off the tubing there, looks like it shouldn't be wider than the exhaust vents so might not look as out of place.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely be giving that a shot!

My god Stobz..I just saw this  :eek: .... absolutely supercalifragilisticexpialidocious...... crisp and brilliant.!!

SG

Muchos gracias, Brother Chaplain Isiah! :biggrin.:

Really appreciate it, Shadow Guard, I think he's probably one of my more detailed pieces to date, even without a lot of freehand.  Need to finish the base up and put the melta-bomb on the bike.

Aye, that Biker is incredible.

Thanks! Took way too long to paint, but I really like how he turned out.

It is indeed. Beautiful.

I do like the plastics you're putting together, but the sword arm position for the master doesn't look quite right to me. Similarly (probably because of the tac) one of the apothecary's arms looks a little too low to me, but that should be easy to remedy.

Yeah, the arms are definitely falling because the stupid tacky won't hold them in place properly. However, what looks off about the Company Master's arm? I did originally have it angled in toward his head a little at the tip, but then it broke at the wrist and didn't glue back in the right position (easily remedied), if that's the problem. The pistol also keeps drifting down, so imagine that just a bit higher. I was considering adding a targeter/scope to the pistol as well.

Can do a diagram if you need to understand this advanced concept :tongue.:

:laugh.:

Sadly, I can't sculpt to save my life. That shoulder pad will sadly be staying exactly as is.

As far as the thrusting stance, it would actually look a bit weird in that particular position, because you wouldn't be thrusting with the hip and there wouldn't be any shoulder rotation. That said, I'll take a look at my bits to see if I can find something that would look more like a thrusting arm and make a couple of mock-ups with some alternate minis.

Just to throw another spanner in the works you could have him resting the halberd on his shoulder as he surveys the field for his next victim, something similar to this:

Interesting idea, I think I can make that work as is. Let me see if I can give that a go and get some more images.

Very nice Company master and command, great mix of different kits also really like the use of robes and tabards in a squad, have to agree with semper about the vials on his legs but other than that a very impressive squad.

DR

Thank you sir! Agreed on the vials, going to give them a little rework.

Thanks again, all, for your comments, really appreciate it. Going to start working on some of these ideas.

Realized that I forgot to talk about Captain Semper's comment on the banner:

So I'm not entirely sure how I want to do that one. I'd love to have banners for all nine companies, plus the Chapter, as well as three individual Sacred Standards, but something tells me that isn't going to happen. So it comes down to either doing a Company, Chapter, or one of the Sacred Standards. I'm leaning toward a Sacred Standard, for the CC squad, the Standard of Retribution.

However, that still leaves me with needing to make a Standard of Devastation.

So then I come back to "Do I just do one of the C:DA designs, or do I decide to draw up my own standard, which I then have to paint?" Decisions, decisions...

Alright, got a couple modifications:

Apothecary

gallery_59244_8904_52493.jpg gallery_59244_8904_15546.jpg

Halberd Wielder

gallery_59244_8904_34045.jpg gallery_59244_8904_2025.jpg

How about these stances?

Tried to unclutter the Apothecary some and move the vial pack to a position where he could still un-mag-lock and grab it. Would probably clip/shave off the two triangular protrusions on the case back to have it sit more flush and flat on the power pack.

The halberd wielder wasn't necessarily bad, but someone suggested trying this kind of pose. I like it a bit better than the across the chest position, even though this is my CC Command Squad, other than the "stalking" claw user, the unit is more of a "surveying the battlefield for their next victims" standing poses, so I think this one fits a little better.

Thoughts, C&C?

I'd either fold a bit more the halberd arm (maybe heating a cutter and pressing it against the inside of the elbow) or go for a more "throwing" pose.

As for the sculpting, you can use the feathers for hair and just do mounth/eyes...

Break it down to "circles"...

Hope it helps and really loking forward :)

Ahhh - I have not been on your thread for what seems like ages and there has been no change - it is all fantastic!

My own personal opinion, and take with a large pinch of salt, is

the vial pack on the back of the Apothecary does not really work for me as it sticks out too far.

If you are trying for the Halbard bearer viewing the carnage then maybe go for the end of the halbard on the ground near his right foot so he looks like he is resting but thi scould be a bit boring.

Whatever you choose to do I'm sure it will look great though ;)

Archived