Stoneburners - Chapter Champion (Dueling Master) WiP Model

Bryan Blaire

Wow, that looks great! This company master is going to be epic! That inner side of robes in green looks fantastic, I particularly like how you did bone highlights on armour and red highlights on top of the robe. Skull looks great and crispy.

:jawdrop: Superb!!!!! nuff said

Cheers,

Stepper

Wow, that looks great! This company master is going to be epic! That inner side of robes in green looks fantastic, I particularly like how you did bone highlights on armour and red highlights on top of the robe. Skull looks great and crispy.

Thanks a bunch, guys! Larhendiel, the inside green is actually just a couple of thin coats of Caliban Green. I've been debating highlighting the edge of it some, but so far haven't.

So, where the mad painting thoughts in my mind (additions courtesy of Stobz and Elmo) have gotten me now:

gallery_59244_8993_18625.jpggallery_59244_8993_60197.jpg

Thoughts? It's a bit wonky from having to dodge the stud and decorative breathing hole (?), but overall, I like how it came out. It's a pain in the butt to touch up though, but I'll give it a bit of a shot.

On to the base, then the cape, then weapons!

Thanks guys, glad you approve. I'm still vacillating on the sword, but I do like it (just wonder if I made it too big - although fixing it now might be more trouble than it's worth). I have decided to not worry about the base for the time being and have moved on to the cape. Realized I've managed to scuff a lot of paint, definitely going to need to matte varnish this guy as soon as I'm done with him.

And Elmo, I knew there was something off about you. ;) If you had four thumbs, I'd accuse you of being the Other (Thanos's henchmen in Avengers). :D Alas, only three.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the cape and mostly complete with the storm bolter arm (still need to highlight the metal and paint the targeter "gem" lens, likely will finish any necessary highlighting on the cape when the model is complete):

gallery_59244_8993_81417.jpggallery_59244_8993_40490.jpg

gallery_59244_8993_40417.jpggallery_59244_8993_33603.jpg

Apologies for the image quality, it was taken with no glare filter on the light (and a single lamp), I'll try to get some better images again when I'm farther along.

Thoughts? Comments/criticism?

Simply awesome mate! :thumbsup: It's good to see you working on the Stoneburners again :thumbsup:

My only criticism is why do you paint so much better than me! Please paint something really badly so I can feel better about my own feeble efforts! :tongue.:

Just kidding obviously, keep up the good work :smile.:

• 2 years later...

So it's been a long, long time since I posted anything to this thread, and I want to say a huge thanks to everyone that has commented here. Unfortunately this project has been long neglected due to several shifts in my work and personal life, with city moves, adjustment to new positions and family additions and losses.

Sadly, my Deathwalkers Company Master has not yet been completed.

Things are finally settling down, so all my armies (Marines - be they cursed, heretic or outright traitor, alongside Ad Mech and foul Xenos) are getting reinforcements and upgrades.

The first of the additions is a new Chapter Champion, the Spiral Dueling Master of Akhundras's Fortress-Monastery (hopefully much to Captain Semper's delight, I've chosen to adjust some of the Stoneburner's tale and have them housed on their original recruiting world - though they will still be actively fleet roaming as well):

med_gallery_59244_12574_28770.jpg

med_gallery_59244_12574_34959.jpg

med_gallery_59244_12574_22189.jpg

When will he get paint? That is a very good question. I don't actually know yet.

I'm going to embark on an assembling of almost two years worth of (actually more) sprues from seven different factions to clean out almost five small cabinets worth of stocked up boxes and most of my previous WiP models had to be taken apart or have fallen apart, so with the addition of the sprues from BaC and BoP (of which, Mk4 has so far only appeared in my Wolves and this is the first model I've used Mk3 in), I'm going to go back and revise a lot of the previous WiP stuff I had done to see where I want to incorporate some of these bits.

For too long, I've avoided putting unpainted models together with superglue and plastic glue, but I'm going to charge forward this time, and I'll use the freezer method to get superglued stuff back apart for painting (I'm sure my wife will love plastic models being in the freezer).

Look forward to talking with my brothers of the Unforgiven Legion about these figures, and as always, I welcome your comments and criticism.

Looking forward to seeing your progress - I've always enjoyed seeing your work previously. :)

Thanks Major_Gilbear! With your fine work, I consider that high praise indeed! :D

Good to see you back BB :)...

I see you had the same idea I did regarding the shoulder pads. Cant wait to see the BB Magic again.

LOL, not sure what magic you think there is, but thanks, brother! :)

On the shoulder pads, I figured the Chapter Champion would likely have a pair of them to indicate his position belongs at the top of the Chapter hierarchy, while a Company Champion only bears one Chapter symbol, with the other plate bearing his company heraldry (and possibly some personal heraldry - haven't decided on that one yet).

I seem to have forgotten the Dueling Master's Deathwing knife, holstered pistol, and heraldic/tilting shield.

Looking forward to seeing your progress - I've always enjoyed seeing your work previously. :smile.:

Thanks Major_Gilbear! With your fine work, I consider that high praise indeed! :biggrin.:

Good to see you back BB :smile.:...

I see you had the same idea I did regarding the shoulder pads. Cant wait to see the BB Magic again.

LOL, not sure what magic you think there is, but thanks, brother! :smile.:

On the shoulder pads, I figured the Chapter Champion would likely have a pair of them to indicate his position belongs at the top of the Chapter hierarchy, while a Company Champion only bears one Chapter symbol, with the other plate bearing his company heraldry (and possibly some personal heraldry - haven't decided on that one yet).

I seem to have forgotten the Dueling Master's Deathwing knife, holstered pistol, and heraldic/tilting shield.

I hope he is going to join a certain challenge :P

Nah man you do stellar work, your Stoneburners are a big inspiration.

Archived