Stoneburners - Chapter Champion (Dueling Master) WiP Model

Bryan Blaire

Those are awesome!!!!!!Though i got to this a bit late.You had a question of how to highlight/make those black armor plates look a bit shinier.i did a small drybrush(a couple of strokes really),to my terminator chaplains armor with boltgun metal.Then i applyied bhadab black wash over it.It retains its jet black colouration but it gives a look like the sun is striking it directly.

Lookin' good so far Bryan, your scheme is going to rock.

CnC though.... you need light on the front of the models for your pics, they're too dark. :P

stobz

Thank you! Updated the post with a side by side with me trying to get more light on the front of the models. Unfortunately, my best light source right now is the sun, so there is still quite a bit of shadow. I've got to see about getting myself a little light box. I think it was ThinkGeek that has one for sale.

Looking good indeed! How do you do the eyes? They are so convincing!

Keep it up, update regularly :).

Thanks CPT Semper!

The way I do my eyes:

1. Leave about 5-10% of the eye black at the rear top, paint a 30-ish degree angle forward from the rear of the eye about midway down the back of the eye toward the front with Vallejo Game Color Scarlett Red (GW Scab Red).

2. Move up a little bit toward the front of the eye, cover about 65% of the eye at approximately a 45 degree angle from the bottom of the eye to the top moving forward with VMC Bloody Red (GW Blood Red).

3. Move up toward the front of the eye more, cover about the front 25% or so of the eye at about the same previous angle with VMC Hot Orange (GW Blazing Orange).

4. Cover the front 5-10% of the eye at the tip with the same angle as previous using VMC Orange Fire (GW Fiery Orange if you still have it, otherwise you can get a close approximation by doing a 2:1 Blazing Orange:Golden Yellow, 1.5:1 Blazing Orange: Golden Yellow or 1:1 Blazing Orange:Golden Yellow to taste, depending on the brightness of the orange you want).

5. Put a small dot of VMC Dead White (GW Skull White) at the very point of the eye near the top rear where the "cheek bone" and "eye brow" of the Terminator helm make points/peak (this should actually almost be the intersection of the remaining black and Scarlett/Scab Red, but if it is in the Scarlett/Scab it will still look good).

6. Go back around the eye with Black and clean up any paint not on the eye so that you have a good black line around only the raised eye portion. I think paint in the base bone color around this making sure to leave a good distinct black line (not always successful) around the eye to make it stand out and look somewhat starkly recessed.

I use a fiddly 20/0 brush by Royal Majestic (they have a great pack I buy that has probably 12-15 detail brushes of varying thicknesses, widths and a couple of different styles) for the eye work.

Those are awesome!!!!!!Though i got to this a bit late.You had a question of how to highlight/make those black armor plates look a bit shinier.i did a small drybrush(a couple of strokes really),to my terminator chaplains armor with boltgun metal.Then i applyied bhadab black wash over it.It retains its jet black colouration but it gives a look like the sun is striking it directly.

Thank you Brother Immolator! That sounds like a good plan as well, I'll give it a shot on my next Termi combat squad to see how it looks before I solidify my choice of highlighting technique for the black.

Hope you guys enjoy the new pics, I'll be working on more of the bone today and going over my reference photos and videos for thunderhammers, storm shields and lightning claws to start thinking about how to prototype up one set of those each for CnC.

I'm going to steal this idea for my next chaplain, thanks for the tip. Never occurred to me to use a black wash after the drybrush.

Glad you both liked it!Steal it all the way!Thats what ideas are for!After all it is stolen by me as well(i just modified it a bit with the wash :rolleyes:)

I used it again today,i build up a deathwatch marine.I dont have a camera handy but it turned out really good.There is one thingie to watch though.The dry brush must very very carefully applied.What i talk here essencialy a 'dusting' of the armor with the bolt gun metal.Then use the wash till you are satisfied.

My alchemists labs will be using something new tommorow.Ill try mixing chaos black and boltgun metal and see how it will go.Ill keep you informed.

Hey Bryan, save money and don't buy a proper light box.

I made one from a cheap as posssible A4 photo frame with a bit of tracing paper taped in by the glass. Then just find the best way for you to prop the frames up in front of a light to diffuse it. That way you can angle them to give a diagonal/frontal aspect for your lighting.

(I actually made two for $6, one each side of the models with two desk lamps in action).

Another cheap as 'enhancement' is a piece of A2 light grey or white paper for under and behind (bluetac'd to a wall etc) cost <$1.

Hope that helps.

Better pics are what your models deserve :rolleyes:

stobz

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, spent the last week or more working on slowly building up different color gradients to "Bleached Bone" and I think I like this one the most (it's the only one I painted directly onto a model as well) and I think it gives better color depth than previous mixes used.

Tried to get better pictures, but alas, I haven't put a light box or paper filters together yet:

gallery_59244_6371_69799.jpggallery_59244_6371_153.jpg

Why does my face look so blurry? Hope you guys can still make out the details:

gallery_59244_6371_29051.jpg

Indoors, more oblique light through a window:

gallery_59244_6371_51981.jpggallery_59244_6371_70449.jpg

I have two sets of highlights I'm looking at doing still, a 1:1 mix of Bleached Bone:Skull White on just the edges as a thin (hopefully) edge highlight, and then a pure Skull White highlight on just the tips/corners/highest points.

CnC (aside from me needing a better picture taking set up - I'll be working on it)?

They are Brilliant Bryan, I must echo the above by Brother Imolator; great scheme and execution, I really like the graduated highlights/damage and your bone is mint as usual. The bone on the legs is a great look and I hope you have enuff time in your life to get a whole army done :HQ:

s

Excellent helmet (and the eyes - I really like these!!!), great paintjob with the limited battle damage, the chest eagle is also beutiful!!!

My only concern is the white/bone-ish detail on the back of the leg... I looks as an add-on to the armour rather than an integral part of it. And I say this with the greatest respect for your work (you know I'm really drawn to your project) it reminds me of the opening sequence of Forest Gump... Any chance you turn it into black? Please? :(

Don't get me wrong, even with the white detail on the leg the mini looks awesome. And you are treating white/bone very well - especially the helmet :( .

Look fwd to see more stuff!

Thanks guys! Stobz, hopefully I'll make a lot of progress before the wife comes down with a case of internal parasites that screw up your schedule for 18+ years! <_<

CPT Semper, I'll probably be leaving the bone supports, I know they look like braces, but that's what they are, plus the background for them is supposed to be somewhat similar to the Legion of the Damned in that they are covered in bone icons, and the support bracings being colored like bone gives that somewhat. I'm also going to be looking for a way to get some "bone fetishes" that I can hang/attach to the armor (maybe just the bits box at my FLGS). Perhaps I can get some dead Space Wolves fetishes and Templar parts, as tribute to our great progenitor Chapter. :P

Okay, so I finally got some painting done (and I apologize again for the poor picture colors):

The O.K. Corral line up!

gallery_59244_6371_59455.jpg

Sergeant (somebody get me my hat and gun! - wait, damn, I use a hammer and claws):

gallery_59244_6371_33007.jpggallery_59244_6371_44762.jpg

Do you like my crux-deputy badge?

gallery_59244_6371_24277.jpggallery_59244_6371_28023.jpg

Bury me on Deadwood Mountain beneath all my skull and crossed-bones!

gallery_59244_6371_13910.jpggallery_59244_6371_30501.jpg

If I knee you, I'll leave a shiny crux imprint in your forehead!

gallery_59244_6371_17985.jpggallery_59244_6371_36333.jpg

Doc Holiday - I carry me a big sawed-off shotgun! (Cyclone Launcher):

gallery_59244_6371_45237.jpggallery_59244_6371_22899.jpg

I think that one has my best gem ever.

The blending looks a lot less stark IRL than in these images, but I think it still shows the bone pretty well. At this point, only one of them has the Skull White highlights on just the tips and brightest points, but unless someone can actually pick it out, I don't really think these guys need it all that much. The 1:1 Bleached Bone:Skull White seemed to provide enough of a highlight to me. What do you guys think?

CnC on the bone or models themselves? It's pretty much detail time (luminas, purity seals, icons already present on the models) and then on to the arms! Hopefully the farther distance group shot shows more of how they look (or will look) for the table top, which is really what I'm aiming for (I'll never win Golden Demon and I'm not really interested in getting to that level).

Right now, I'm really wishing we had some robed or tabarded Terminators, I'm just really not good with Green Stuff.

Fantastic Bryan, they sure are walking skeletons of pure badassery.

Highlights are excellent as is your battle damage (me jealous much?)

I really like the uneven highlighting, it adds heaps of character, esp. because it is intentional.

Your blending is sweet and your gems are even better.

CnC; I think the ropes around the waist need a brighter colour, like red etc, contrast is the key for detailing imho.

I'm glad to hear that you and your wife are preparing to create an external parasite :D , my two beasts have just gotten to the stage where I can paint at night without worry.

Keep it up

s

Great stuff! This project is coming along very nicely indeed! Excellent color choice! The measured combat damage is ace! I'm even getting used to the bone-ish detail on the leg!The gem looks really really good - as do the eye lenses!

What about arming them? (pum intended). What are weapons you are gonna use? Shooty or C/C oriented? Or THE mix?

Keep it up, they look great - a great project!

Those terminators are looking pretty fantastic. I quite like the bone support struts; the break up the monotony of the black, help define the detail of the miniature and suggest s touch of the macabre (they remind me of a skeletal structure).

I believe you can buy resin robed legs for terminator kits. I'll have a hunt for a link.

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/crusade...-set-p-314.html

If you don't fancy that and you do have putty, creating robes is really simple. I'll guide you through it if you're up for it

LilLoser

Those terminators are looking pretty fantastic. I quite like the bone support struts; the break up the monotony of the black, help define the detail of the miniature and suggest s touch of the macabre (they remind me of a skeletal structure).

I believe you can buy resin robed legs for terminator kits. I'll have a hunt for a link.

If you don't fancy that and you do have putty, creating robes is really simple. I'll guide you through it if you're up for it

LilLoser

I wonder though are those good for terminators or are they 'slim'?For robed marines they are awesome.

My Deathwing are painted near enough the same way as those Terminators.

Very nice matey :)

Thanks Vagabond! I really, really liked your Belial conversion (and when I finally have the ability to order from Forgeworld, I'll probably use it for some inspiration)! I looked for your Deathwing for a while (and I'm not entirely sure why it wouldn't let me see if you had any albums to look at), so I'd gladly take a look at them (for inspiration and to make sure they don't look too much alike) if you wouldn't mind.

Fantastic Bryan, they sure are walking skeletons of pure badassery.

Highlights are excellent as is your battle damage (me jealous much?)

I really like the uneven highlighting, it adds heaps of character, esp. because it is intentional.

Your blending is sweet and your gems are even better.

CnC; I think the ropes around the waist need a brighter colour, like red etc, contrast is the key for detailing imho.

I'm glad to hear that you and your wife are preparing to create an external parasite :lol: , my two beasts have just gotten to the stage where I can paint at night without worry.

Keep it up

s

LOL, thanks! Glad they are getting the point across. What do you mean by uneven highlighting? As far as the ropes, I'll be adding some highlight color to it, right now you can barely see it and it is just Bestial Brown washed with Devlan Mud (which is darker than I usually do them anyway, so it needs some brightening) and that's definitely one of the details I'm going to be working on. Don't really want to jump to another color though, simply to maintain consistency across the army on the rope.

Yeah, we've been working on parasites for a while now, so it will happen when it does at this point. Right now we have four-legged children with speech problems and hair growth issues. They are entirely covered with it and taking them out in public is embarrassing. :D

Great stuff! This project is coming along very nicely indeed! Excellent color choice! The measured combat damage is ace! I'm even getting used to the bone-ish detail on the leg!The gem looks really really good - as do the eye lenses!

What about arming them? (pum intended). What are weapons you are gonna use? Shooty or C/C oriented? Or THE mix?

Keep it up, they look great - a great project!

Thanks CPT Semper! Same to you on your works! Weaponry: They've all been magnetized to be able to load either LCs or TH/SS, and I have some Power Fists, Chain Fists and Storm Bolters left over from the previous squad, as well as the equipment from numerous DA Vets boxes (I think I've gotten 4 or 6 at this point), so I'll probably magnetize some of those up for this squad's use, and possibly pop the arms off the previous squad (to aid in repainting efforts as well) to do some magnetizing for expanded equipment options there as well. Also, hopefully I'll nab some stuff from Forgeworld soon, so I may be able to have enough shoulder pauldrons to not need to magnetize all those (they are really fiddly to get right and can be somewhat annoying, especially when they don't then sit correctly).

LilLoser

Thanks LilLoser, I'm digging your project on the Deathwing as well! Thanks for the link! I think I'll hold off on doing any robes for the moment, I may give a couple of "converting BT tabards to Terminator fronts" ideas I've found a shot (bought a BT upgrade box to try out some bits and use bits to sprinkle onto bases) and I do have the Justicar's hanging tabard bottom from the GK Terminators box to put somewhere as well. Thank you much for the offer, and if you have a good tutorial from some where, I'd really like to take a look. I need to start working with Green Stuff to get over my fear of totally ruining good models by trying to do things with it.

Thank you all again, hopefully this squad will be finishing within the next two weeks or so (trying to be somewhat realistic about my time frames here).

My Deathwing are painted near enough the same way as those Terminators.

Very nice matey :)

Thanks Vagabond! I really, really liked your Belial conversion (and when I finally have the ability to order from Forgeworld, I'll probably use it for some inspiration)! I looked for your Deathwing for a while (and I'm not entirely sure why it wouldn't let me see if you had any albums to look at), so I'd gladly take a look at them (for inspiration and to make sure they don't look too much alike) if you wouldn't mind.

I had my Deathwing up here for a while and I will post up more pictures as I progress through the army. I am near enough finished them in time for Throne Of Skulls. I will possibly take more pictures and let you see my army but the only thing is I don't want guys copying my army list for the GT. Feel free to add me on Facebook and I will add them up in there soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, finally got the detailing work on the bodies done so that I can get to work on the arms! Unfortunately we have a probably terminal pup at home, so that's been taking up a lot of our energy.

Enough of that, on to the show!

I realized that given the proximity of the bone details to some of the purity seals, I needed something other than the normal Graveyard Earth -> Bleached Bone -> Skull White just wouldn't look that great or contrasting, so I searched for a bit to find something I could use instead, and I think what I found I like even more. Not sure that it will work as well on my power armored guys, especially those with the "robes" because it will probably look quite a bit like those, but I'm going to give it a shot next time. These seals are Graveyard Earth -> 1:1 GE/Kommando Khaki -> Kommando Khaki, then a wash over all with Gryphonne Sepia, a second wash in the recesses with G-Sepia, and a re-highlight with Kommando Khaki. The "writing" is done with Scorched Brown. I highlighted the rope belts (already Bestial Brown with a Devlan Mud wash) with Vermin Brown, and considered giving them a touch of Bubonic Brown, but decided that they are more recessed most everywhere, so I'm going to have to carefully look and consider before I do that (that's a small touch I can do later when I touch up the highlighting on the main body).

Chest Crux Terminator:

gallery_59244_6371_14389.jpg

Crossed Bones Terminator (with purity seal view):

gallery_59244_6371_46189.jpggallery_59244_6371_12871.jpg

Cyclone Launcher Terminator (with purity seal view):

gallery_59244_6371_69382.jpggallery_59244_6371_59728.jpg

Shiny Knee Crux Terminator (with purity seal view):

gallery_59244_6371_63560.jpggallery_59244_6371_55674.jpg

And finally, the sergeant... Mr. Red Stripe himself!

gallery_59244_6371_13064.jpggallery_59244_6371_17577.jpg

(Hooray beer! ;))

Hope you guys like them! At this point, I'm considering these guys done. Enough time put in on them, time to move on to the arms! Any CnC will be welcomed though, as I will be coming back for a final touch up pass before I put them into the Hall of Honor. I'm also researching some conversion ideas and trying to come up with some inspired by the DA art (and probably liberally lifting from some fellows on this great site), but I'm not sure if I'm going to try any of them on this particular set of Terminators or just move on and see what happens with later ones.

And to think I had reservations for the red stripe ;)! It looks great! The whole lot looks very impressive! can't wait for the weapons load out. Aaaaaand the basing...

Seriously, this is turning into a very VERY nice looking army.

Archived