Stoneburners - Chapter Champion (Dueling Master) WiP Model

Bryan Blaire

I recall, trying to convince you to paint the back of the leg details black (even mentioning Forset Gump). What a fool I was! This looks amazing!

The power effect on the shield makes it look aggresive - more like a secondary weapon rather than a defence devise! :D

The wings on the shoulder pad are they free hand? And of course the big question is: Are you gonna paint the campaign badge on the Termies too?

Awesome models Bryan Blaire.

Too much goodness to pick out – but I'm amazed at both the level of detail and the 'smallness' of the painted details you have added. Loving all the personal heraldry too.

Cheers

I

If that was a prototype then - I'll get my coat.

Setting a great example for the rest of us to aim for :lol:

I will have to try the energy effects - consider it stolen!

• 3 weeks later...

Brian your army is superb, the level of detail is unreal!

Well done mate and you've inspired me to do more work on my Deathwing again after painting Custodians for 6 months lol :)

• 2 weeks later...

Really sorry for the bump/necro-threado-mancy, wanted to comment/answer:

I recall, trying to convince you to paint the back of the leg details black (even mentioning Forset Gump). What a fool I was! This looks amazing!

The power effect on the shield makes it look aggresive - more like a secondary weapon rather than a defence devise! :D

The wings on the shoulder pad are they free hand? And of course the big question is: Are you gonna paint the campaign badge on the Termies too?

:) Thanks, CPT Semper! The wings on the shoulder pad and the heraldric shield are both free-hand. As far as the campaign badge on the Termies, I'm not entirely sure yet.

Awesome models Bryan Blaire.

Too much goodness to pick out – but I'm amazed at both the level of detail and the 'smallness' of the painted details you have added. Loving all the personal heraldry too.

Cheers

I

Really nice BB, youv'e done an absolutely top notch on your 'prototype' now you have to do an even better squad :P

:D

stobz

Thanks you guys! Hopefully the squad will eventually turn up done and I'll actually have photos! :D

If that was a prototype then - I'll get my coat.

Setting a great example for the rest of us to aim for B)

I will have to try the energy effects - consider it stolen!

;) Thanks Elmo! Please do some energy effects, I'd love to see someone else's take on them, rather than the rip-off I've done of them!

Brian your army is superb, the level of detail is unreal!

Well done mate and you've inspired me to do more work on my Deathwing again after painting Custodians for 6 months lol :)

Thanks Vagabond, and I hope you have as much fun working on yours as I have on mine. Your Custodians are fantastic, so I'm sure your DW will also look great!

• 4 weeks later...

So, one month or so later, and I really haven't made any progress on any more Terminators, mostly because I took a break to do the paint comparison thread. :yes:

Figured I'd post shots of the current contents of my painting cabinet at home, just because my wife is a saint for putting up with me. Last night when I read her my vow and told her I was going to paint a venerable dreadnought, she looks at me and goes "That's one of the things you already have in there, right?" while she motioned at the two storage doors for my painting stuff. Luckily it is something I already had, so no killing of Bryan ensued last night. ;)

Top cabinet shelves:

gallery_59244_7045_275898.jpg

Bottom cabinet:

gallery_59244_7045_175828.jpg

So, yeah, she's a saint.

Anyway, on to the actual post content:

For my ETL vow, I am painting a Venerable Dreadnought with Twin-linked Lascannons and a Heavy Flamer, so here's the photos of the start of the WIP:

In the box!

gallery_59244_7332_20865.jpg

This bucket of bolts is too lazy to even get off the sprue!

gallery_59244_7332_50844.jpg

More to come!

@ Bryan: This is great. I think that the Dread will offer enough flat areas for you to demonstrate your free-hand ability... Needless to say I'm expecting tons of personalised badges and icons (some probably completely different from your other squads - it's a Venerable Brother after all). I'm also all nostalgic now that I glimpsed the old DW box in your stash... Oh, boy...

And yes she is a saint. They all are... :P

@ furioso: Welcome to Bryan's world! ^_^

This is going to be fabulous. Nice cabinet Bryan, you need to listen to your 'Saint' and get some of those boxes emptied and up onto a display table all finished up ;)

:)

stobz

About the cabinet, I got all nostalgic when I saw the old Daethwing Terminator (metal) box in your cupboard. It was seminal moment in my 40K/DA growth when I purchased my first Deathwing squad! :lol: As for wives, i guess most of us who frequent this board, indulge in our hobby and have wives, must have saintly partners... otherwise we wouldn't be here at all!! <_<

My dear wife usually does any direct purchases I need from the GW outlet at our local shopping centre...the satff there knows her by sight... :)

COming abck to th venerable dread, I cant wait to see what you are going to cme up with compared to the power and terie armour you have so far painted.

SG

• 2 weeks later...

:cuss You guys are too funny!

For the Deathwing box, it currently contains about 15-20 old metal Terminators, both DW and normal styles. I'm sure they will get painted some day.

TBH, still haven't decided which armor plates to use, but yes, I will be using the "fist" style DCCW. This is possibly going to be the most "blinged" of all my Dreads, even the Relic Contemptor may not have as many. I'm going to see just how many little icons I have the ability to stick on there. :P

On to the show!

Had to take a couple of days to figure out exactly how I wanted to paint this guy up, and after about two days of work, here's where he stands. All the parts that are dark metal will stay that way, all the parts that are Mournfang Brown will eventually become bone, and the two plates above the "hips" and the "cod piece" will all remain black. The smaller plates on the "hips" above the black ones will probably be dark metal as well. The front leg plates will be black, likely with bone detailing.

gallery_59244_7332_734.jpg

gallery_59244_7332_503.jpg

gallery_59244_7332_140352.jpg

Some assembly still required.

Sub-assemblies I've put together:

gallery_59244_7332_51039.jpg

gallery_59244_7332_53260.jpg

Hope this guy turns out as well as some of my other projects!

Glad you guys like so far!

So, got the Mournfang washed with the Agrax Earthshade Shade :pinch: and then re-coated with Mournfang Brown except for the darkest recesses. From there, I painted up what I hope are good layers while leaving darker brown shadows with Zandri Dust. I really am liking the new paints so far, they seem to thin with water really well, and I've been able to revitalize paint on my wet palette after two days, which has been awesome and about two days longer than I was able to keep anything previously. Tomorrow I'm hoping to do the final layers of Ushtabi Bone and Screaming Skull, then on to the metallic highlighting and the black armor plates!

Anyway, enough gum flappin', here's some photos:

gallery_59244_7332_41168.jpggallery_59244_7332_12317.jpg

gallery_59244_7332_38032.jpggallery_59244_7332_32397.jpg

I did try to do some faking of shadows where I thought that the light would and wouldn't hit with the metal plates across the front of the legs, not sure how successful I was, but I hope you guys like!

C & C are obviously still welcome!

Looks great Bryan! I really like that you are going for white-ish suspenders on the legs -similar to the termies- very nice touch! BTW, what would the loadout be? I must have missed that... *hopes for solid slug instead of energy weapons* On a different note, how do you plan to paint the plates with the famous battles on? Dark metal would be easy and effective but gold would emphasize its "Hero of the Chapter" status since it's a metallic you do not use on your standard troops...

Really excited of how this will turn out!.

Your 'fake' shadows look great, I'm lazy and use real ones :)

-Sits back and joins Elmo on deck chair with an ale or two...-

s

Mind if I join you? I'll bring the cigars! :(

Bryan - the work so far is great

Stobz

Your 'fake' shadows look great, I'm lazy and use real ones tongue.gif

Captain Semper

Mind if I join you? I'll bring the cigars!

I now have a mental picture of the 3 of us sitting on deckchairs, drinking beer, smoking cigars and nodding approvingly while Bryan paints.

I think I need help :(

Looks great Bryan! I really like that you are going for white-ish suspenders on the legs -similar to the termies- very nice touch! BTW, what would the loadout be? I must have missed that... *hopes for solid slug instead of energy weapons* On a different note, how do you plan to paint the plates with the famous battles on? Dark metal would be easy and effective but gold would emphasize its "Hero of the Chapter" status since it's a metallic you do not use on your standard troops...

Really excited of how this will turn out!.

Your 'fake' shadows look great, I'm lazy and use real ones :P

s

Mind if I join you? I'll bring the cigars! :D

Bryan - the work so far is great

Stobz

Your 'fake' shadows look great, I'm lazy and use real ones tongue.gif

Captain Semper

Mind if I join you? I'll bring the cigars!

I now have a mental picture of the 3 of us sitting on deckchairs, drinking beer, smoking cigars and nodding approvingly while Bryan paints.

I think I need help :rolleyes:

:turned: I like you guys' ideas for relaxation! Sadly none of that for me in the coming month. I'm hoping to keep up progress, but from the sounds of things, I will be working very hard away from home that whole time. I'm glad you guys are liking Gathrael so far.

CPT Semper, as I said in the Strategy Thread, this one is going to start out with just the twin-linked lascannons and the DCCW with heavy flamer, because that's the highest points cost I could come up with. As far as the front plating, I actually haven't decided exactly which ones I'm going to use yet. I'm currently looking at the following (all descriptions based on looking at the front of the Dreadnought): On the left side, I want to use the plating with the winged Crux Terminatus on the top and the twin down pointed swords with the two skulls on each blade and the three bolter rounds in the center. In the center, I want to use the open sarcophagus plate that has the small arches at the head opening and the three skulls under the aquila with the name scroll (and above the helmet I'll mount the arch with the Iron Halo, since this guys used to be the Master of the Deathwalkers) and for the helm I want to use the heavily studded helmet with the heavy mouth plate (I'm planning on using the Crusader appearing one probably on an Assault Squad sergeant or veteran). On the right side, I want to use the three arches plate, probably with the arches in bronze/brass and flames rising inside them (similar to the Salamanders Dread depicted on the back of the box) but I may end up thinking up other iconography to go in the arches. I plan on decking this guy out in as much bling as will fit (he'll probably look busy as hell) and I want to be sure to have at least one laurel icon on him, as well as the Iron Halo, two of each if I can manage it. I am definitely not using any of the world names plates on this guy (I can't stand those things personally). Definitely some kind of angel icon above the sarcophagus, and possibly some hanging bone bits.

So, other than a couple of highlights on the black, the legs are done, and I'll probably wait on the highlights until I get more of the body assembled:

gallery_59244_7332_106825.jpggallery_59244_7332_57184.jpg

gallery_59244_7332_97466.jpggallery_59244_7332_44758.jpg

gallery_59244_7332_55745.jpg

May need to work on the brightest highlights, they don't appear to be showing up very well. I'm not so sure about adding much battle damage to the bone segments, I'm thinking that the black portions of the armor and bone supports would be the best repaired, with the darkened metal left scratched and scored at the choice of Gathrael himself.

You have done great work with the wear on the legs. Very realistic. I wouldn't worry about the highlighting too much -the bone on one hand and the damage on the other define the black areas quite well. The "feet" maybe require some highlighting but I have the feeling that you have not gone there yet. This is turning out really well, and I look fwd for the top part - the way you describe it is must be very "baroque" :whistling:

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/smilies-sports-cheers/0001.gif Go Bryan, go Bryan http://www.animated-gifs.eu/smilies-sports-cheers/0001.gif

Archived