Stoneburners - Chapter Champion (Dueling Master) WiP Model

Bryan Blaire

Smiley thief :D

They where my special pom-pom cheerleaders, mine all mine bah-hahahaha :D

Thanks for the encouragement guys, unfortunately the last couple of days have been spent getting prep'd to head out for work, which stinks for me and my wife, so I've been draggin' my keister.

I am disturbed by the amount you guys seem to enjoy those pom-pom waving smileys. B)

I'll take a look at getting a mock up of the torso piece worked up and photographed.

http://www.animated-gifs.eu/smilies-sports-cheers/0001.gifhttp://www.animated-gifs.eu/smilies-sports-cheers/0001.gifhttp://www.animated-gifs.eu/smilies-sports-cheers/0001.gifhttp://www.animated-gifs.eu/smilies-sports-cheers/0001.gifhttp://www.animated-gifs.eu/smilies-sports-cheers/0001.gif

Elmo might have the best smilies but I can line them up as a team for your support too.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Bryan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you come back from work we'll be waiting....

stobz

• 3 weeks later...

So, been able to get some work done in the evenings. Mostly just details on the torso at this point, hopefully be done with this phase in the next day or two. Then it's on to the arms and banner details!

Some images:

gallery_59244_7332_1394.jpggallery_59244_7332_10004.jpg

gallery_59244_7332_50959.jpggallery_59244_7332_52829.jpg

And because I'm particularly pleased with the lenses (but not the quality of the photo, which will have to be retaken at home):

gallery_59244_7332_25061.jpg

Edit: the model doesn't look near that yellow in person, the lights in here that I have to take pics under are very yellow, so I don't think the pics are that true to life. Thanks for any comments, criticisms or thoughts for improvement.

Looks great Bryan (if a bit yellow - but it's obviously the pic quality :pinch:). I really like the detail of the flames in the front and the scratches and dents on the arms... Lenses also look great- you've put a lot of effort in this and it shows...

So what helmet will you be using? I belevieve there are options right? Not a big fan of the grill-faced one I have to admit <_<

Top cabinet shelves:

gallery_59244_7045_275898.jpg

Bottom cabinet:

gallery_59244_7045_175828.jpg

So, yeah, she's a saint.

More to come!

Wow, it makes me fell jelous - all these old boxes (Deathwing in particular !!) are true jewels right now. its almost like armour through ages (or should I say through boxes :) )

and as for your latest miniatures - they are absolutely great !

• 1 month later...
Looks great Bryan (if a bit yellow - but it's obviously the pic quality :D). I really like the detail of the flames in the front and the scratches and dents on the arms... Lenses also look great- you've put a lot of effort in this and it shows...

So what helmet will you be using? I belevieve there are options right? Not a big fan of the grill-faced one I have to admit ;)

Hopefully these new pics show him in a little more clear white light. And you get to see the helmet!

Wow, it makes me fell jelous - all these old boxes (Deathwing in particular !!) are true jewels right now. its almost like armour through ages (or should I say through boxes ;) )

and as for your latest miniatures - they are absolutely great !

Sadly, the Deathwing box is the last box I actually have from 2nd Edition, all others have been scrapped. I think there are about 15-20 Terminators in that box, including an old TDA Chaplain and TDA Librarian. Even when I do finally complete all those guys, I'm leaving that box as a keepsake, it just has too much history now.

Thanks for liking the Dread!

Okay, now, my work from ETL and since (and going into the Path of Redemption), I give you Gathrael, lauded knight of the Scouring Whirlwind as he currently stands:

Front:

gallery_59244_7332_69964.jpg

Back:

gallery_59244_7332_100595.jpg

Current Leg Plate detailing:

gallery_59244_7332_66289.jpg

Power Plant detailing:

gallery_59244_7332_89325.jpg

Lascannon arm details (currently in progress):

gallery_59244_7332_75315.jpg

Glowing firing points (thanks for this idea, Stobz! I tried to do the power coils, but they ended up looking like bunk IMO):

gallery_59244_7332_2659.jpggallery_59244_7332_4469.jpg

Targeters:

gallery_59244_7332_4997.jpggallery_59244_7332_6010.jpg

I am particularly pleased with the new GW brass line, I think it gives really fantastic results and it has made painting the brass detailing up so much quicker. However, the new paints have not helped the speed of my free-hand work, which there is still a LOT of to do on this guy.

Like I said, still WiP, and as always, criticism and suggestions for improvement are always welcome!

Man, what's going on here??? :P

The amount of detail and attention is beyond this world! The power plant is so eye catching - good thing you took a close up! Any chance to walk us through it?

You are a painter of very high quality Bryan... Your Stoneburners are an example to be followed!

Oh and the helmet looks fantastic! ;)

I have none at all - just jaw dropping silence http://serve.mysmiley.net/confused/confused0054.gif

Man, what's going on here??? :P

The amount of detail and attention is beyond this world! The power plant is so eye catching - good thing you took a close up! Any chance to walk us through it?

You are a painter of very high quality Bryan... Your Stoneburners are an example to be followed!

Oh and the helmet looks fantastic! ;)

:woot:

You are takeing no prisoners here Bryan, your high standard just took off into the stratosphere.

Now get that vow finished so we can have a look at him in all his glory.

:D

stobz

You guys are too funny! I'm glad you are enjoying the Dread though. That helmet was a bit of a pain to get into the arch, but I really wanted something with the knightly vibe and the "Legion" icon on it, and the targeter really didn't want to cooperate.

If this is the stratosphere, there's a lot of artists on this site that orbit with Pluto.

I really would like any suggestions people may have, if anyone wants to share them. :D Please be honest, if something looks like crap or just way too busy, or anything else that might help me improve any of this, let me know.

CPT Semper:

To be honest, it isn't that much of a walkthrough:

-Everything brass is started with Warplock Bronze.

-I then painted most (probably 75-80%) of the stacks with Brass Scorpion.

-The the entire stack was coated fairly liberally with Agrax Earthshade and I pushed with the brush the shade to where I thought the shadows would be.

-After it dried, I covered about 40%-ish of the previous Brass Scorpion painted area with slightly watered down Brass Scorpion again.

-Finally, I used edge highlights of Runelord Brass and just a little bit of slightly watered Runelord Brass to paint some of the edges where I felt the light would definitely hit on the highest points.

A little more detailing on the lascannon "shoulder":

gallery_59244_7332_62675.jpg

I intended this to represent both the Crux Terminatus and the Deathwalker (Deathwing) broken winged sword icon. I'm pretty positive on how it turned out, but obviously I see the flaws the most. Overall, I really like the detail. Got a couple more things to do on that arm (hanging banner, a couple of purity seals, and retouching the black paint). Eventually all of the black will need to be edge highlighted as well.

Great work Bryan, the only CnC I could offer is hurry the hell up so we can see it finished :P

Good decision not making the power cables glow, I agree it looks unnatural and weird(although some painters make it look plausable).

How did you do your OSL on the Lascannon power-pack? Although I have my own way for my bulk troops, I'd prefer yours for 'special' projects and centrepieces.

Cheers for sharing

s

Edit: Really nice freehand on the shoulder detail, top notch mate. I'd like to see the wing tips wrap around to the front and rear to really 'finish' them off. It could tie in to some freehand art on the front too... get back to work. :woot:

Great work Bryan, the only CnC I could offer is hurry the hell up so we can see it finished ;)

Same....

Plus why can't I paint like that :(

You Sir, are goooood!

• 2 weeks later...
Great work Bryan, the only CnC I could offer is hurry the hell up so we can see it finished :o

I'm workin' on it!

How did you do your OSL on the Lascannon power-pack? Although I have my own way for my bulk troops, I'd prefer yours for 'special' projects and centrepieces.

Kantor Blue base -> Drakenhof Nightshade -> Kantor Blue on all but the recesses -> Alaitoc Blue (in an X type pattern) -> Hoeth Blue (within the X-pattern previous) -> White Scar (make a thinner X pattern within the Hoeth, also make small star points between the lines) -> Guilliman Blue glaze -> paint a very thin small star in the very center with White Scar, then I edge highlighted the metal around the power unit with Hoeth Blue

Edit: Really nice freehand on the shoulder detail, top notch mate. I'd like to see the wing tips wrap around to the front and rear to really 'finish' them off. It could tie in to some freehand art on the front too... get back to work. :D

Thanks! Glad you like! Check out the images below...

I've been wondering about how these guys have been coming along. Looking great! :wub:

Thanks shabbadoo! Hopefully I'll get to some more soon!

Plus why can't I paint like that :D

You Sir, are goooood!

:lol: You can paint like that! Your multi-model DA icon mural on the Vindicators and the Ravenwing Stormraven are awesome!

Glad you like though!

Okay, so for some work:

Wing tips! (And not the really bad shoes):

gallery_59244_7332_89953.jpggallery_59244_7332_12307.jpg

Banner:

gallery_59244_7332_2772.jpg

The cross-hatch pattern was done with a semi-dry brush with a ridged tip when flattened, crossed back and forth. I think it came out really well for a "fabric" piece and I'm hoping that I can repeat it on further models.

Close combat arm in progress!

gallery_59244_7332_30947.jpggallery_59244_7332_55889.jpg

Here's hoping that I can complete my initial Redemption vow!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so here he is, hopefully all in glory!

360 shots:
sml_gallery_59244_8153_261303.jpgsml_gallery_59244_8153_156097.jpgsml_gallery_59244_8153_20602.jpgsml_gallery_59244_8153_18738.jpg

Closer ups:
Knight of the Scouring Whirlwind, Aquila with open backward looking eye:
gallery_59244_7332_22725.jpggallery_59244_7332_51997.jpg
Sadly, I don't really like how the checker pattern didn't come out even.

Light, Burn on scrolling, and Purity Seal and then Caliban and Mortis on scrolling:
gallery_59244_7332_44851.jpggallery_59244_7332_15711.jpg

Leg plate with name on scrolling:
gallery_59244_7332_25665.jpg

I know the base isn't finished, but I had only planned on doing the model itself. The base will be completed later as a project as I recently came across a 40K basing kit and I want to take some time and see if there's anything good to use on the base.

CnC, thoughts, ideas, comments?

Ok this is seriously awesome! I really don't know where to start... In fact I don't think I have words to describe the sheer awesomenes of this thing... The script and all the freehand skill that went on this model is just a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!

Between bevulf, Stobz and you I think I'll be admitted to the Institute for the very VERY nervous... :D

I was worth every minute it took you to complete - really well done mate

OMG :D

More awesome sauce please - inspiring stuff Bryan

As a heavy user of the checker pattern I don't think yours came out all that bad - they can be a complete sod to get exactly the same size.

@ Wraithwing: There looks to be a very fine highlight to the black on my monitor.

Archived