Stoneburners - Chapter Champion (Dueling Master) WiP Model

Bryan Blaire

• 2 weeks later...
Bit-chin'

Well done Bryan, absolutely sensational work, love all the freehand and your quality of work.

He'll be even moar epic once the base is done 'coz it does leave him looking a little lost

stobz

:) I agree, the black feet into the black base just kinda blends... nothing in the basing kit really just jumps out at me as "needs to be on the base" in excited tones, so I'm thinking either sprinkling one/two/a few chopped up Chaos Marine bits about might help or just paint up the base as is. It's actually a pretty nicely textured base already.

What one thing might you have done differently on the same model?

wow bryan, that is sick!

Thanks Furioso-Prime! I really enjoyed painting him, even if I got a little case of the fat-hand at the end and had to keep myself from just redoing and redoing the same spots because I wasn't happy. It's definitely a sickness, but not of "You're declared mentally healthy" variety... I think Stobz may have said he has a place that gives out the "free pass to the loony bin place." I may need one. This stuff takes me way too long.

Can you pick out one thing you would have changed or approached from a different perspective on the model?

I bow down to your AWESOMENESS!!! That Dread is more awesome-sauce than some Golden Demons!!!

Thumbs up, Grand Master Belial! (It wouldn't let me post this using more than one emoticon per response) :) I'm glad you like him that much, but I don't think he's anywhere near the category of Golden Demons. I still have a long, long way to learn to achieve that kind of quality.

What specific thing could I improve or do differently that might help improve him a little bit?

Ok this is seriously awesome! I really don't know where to start... In fact I don't think I have words to describe the sheer awesomenes of this thing... The script and all the freehand skill that went on this model is just a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!

Between bevulf, Stobz and you I think I'll be admitted to the Institute for the very VERY nervous...

I was worth every minute it took you to complete - really well done mate

:lol: CPT Semper, you've got to have more faith in yourself! As a matter of fact, everyone, including me, needs to have more faith in ourselves. We have some seriously awesome talent in this forum and it's spread around everyone. I've even been able to re-examine some of my work based on seeing some of the newer guys' photos and I think I learn a little from everyone that posts. You're a great painter as well dude, so don't go the Nervous Institute.

I am glad you like him though, but can you tell me one thing you would have done differently?

Wow, amazing freehand. You have a lovely looking Dread there.

I can't see any highlights in the black though. Are they being washed out by the photo or lighting?

Cheers,

WW

Thanks Wraithwing! I'm really glad you asked that. Nope, there really aren't any highlights on any of the black plate, except the two front ones, mostly to give some differentiation to the arched "windows" at the top and bottom. I had originally chosen to do this simply because the metal plates are so "scratched" up but also very dark, so I was looking for a way to contrast the metal and black plates. Looking back at the photos from two-ish weeks ago, I don't think it really works. I think he needs at least that fine grey highlight along the edges, and that power fist needs some kind of effect. It just seems too nekkid to me. However, he's staying up in the glass case my lovely missus let me have in our living room for the time being because I just can't bring myself to work on his super-slow-ness behind again.

Aside from the black highlighting, what else could be improved, changed or would you have done differently Wraithwing?

OMG :P

More awesome sauce please - inspiring stuff Bryan

As a heavy user of the checker pattern I don't think yours came out all that bad - they can be a complete sod to get exactly the same size.

@ Wraithwing: There looks to be a very fine highlight to the black on my monitor.

Glad you like, Elmo, it's always good to have your brothers' assurances! Yeah, it's not too bad, except that as the artist, I can only see the flaws. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how to get them more evenly sized in the future and I think I'm just going to have to try and draw them out with a pencil on the model first. The real :cuss of it was that I had wanted to get the checkered pattern to flow smoothly around that edge, and that's really what killed it, because as I've been working out since, if you have an edge at that angle and you try to bend a flat piece of checkered paper around it, the checkers move down around the angle, not straight across! You have to actually cut the paper (or fold it) to match the angle to get it to wrap straight across, which throws the pattern off so that it doesn't align any more without the "cut" specifically having been taken into account when making the size of the checker squares themselves. Can you tell I have too much math in my background? Anyway, in the future when I choose to do something like this again, the name of the game will be "Planning, planning, planning, and more planning." I may bring in a special team (and if necessary due to frustration, call an audible on the play). In the words of Malcolm Reynolds, "Honestly, there might be tears."

Seriously though, :thanks: a ton, I really am glad you guys appreciate!

Now, pick one thing to focus on that I could improve or you might have done differently/taken in a different direction. What would you have done? I know that there are things that can be picked out, I ended up with fat-hand syndrome right at the end.

BTW, see my answer to Wraithwing above on the highlights.

And i thought it was only Stobz that wanted to make me die of envy...

:blush: Dude, no deaths! Even metaphoric ones! You do great work and I am no more proud than you should be of your own stuff. We can all learn from each other, so lets all advance our collective painting together, mostly by raiding the homes of Stobz, bevulf, E_E, Shabbadoo, and Maddoc, along with a bunch of others for their creativity and techniques!

Really am glad you like it though, battle-brother.

I'll ask you the same thing as Elmo: "Now, pick one thing to focus on that I could improve or you might have done differently/taken in a different direction. What would you have done?"

Bryan this is beautiful - all these details, the colour selection to complement the black - all is perfectly matched !

B) High praise, my man, high praise! Thanks a bunch. I'm glad you like him because I always enjoy your stuff as well and you always make me consider new things for models.

Now, what could I have done differently or improved? Something that could have upped the quality just that much more?

One thing I'm wondering about, what do people think of the heavy flamer? I can get some better shots, but I was really trying for a super-heated titanium effect with the emitter port and a blue-ish flame. Does it work? Does it look good? I tried feathering the black and sepia on the emitter area more, but it didn't actually seem to take/darken it much and I am of the opinion that the edges are a little to stark and defined.

If you are wondering what I'm talking about, here's one reference image I have:

gallery_59244_7045_158.jpg

I've exaggerated the black and sepia bands some and left the bluing only on the emitter port itself, but I really wanted the clean bright blue line at the edge. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Now, new meat for the grinder!

October vow!

gallery_59244_5847_68369.jpg

gallery_59244_5847_19232.jpg

So, as I said in my vow post, roughly, they need the following for me to consider them done paint-wise:

-All mold lines rescraped, repainted.

-The guy missing his pauldron needs retraining on how to wear his armor and the squad's artificer serf needs shooting. Someone make a note to have a Librarian and Chaplain find a more competent, less "trying to get their master killed" serf for me.

-Someone isn't even wearing their Chapter colors. This is unacceptable.

-All units need greaves and helms repainted to proper black.

-Highlights.

-Squad markings.

-Company markings.

-Campaign marking.

-Devotional text and any honor markings earned (knowing this bunch, that seems a little unlikely).

As of last night, they had all had their mold lines scraped and their helms and greaves all repainted black, all except Mr. I Can't Get Anyone To Put My Pauldron On Properly. That dummy had to wait for his glue to set, so he doesn't get done until later today.

Now, thanks to a generous helping of patience (that I will be paying for later somehow, I'm assuming with our future children) granted to my beautiful bride, I got to drive around half-way across town (35-40 minute trip each way) to get the following new tools/toys to assist me in my endeavors:

gallery_59244_5847_53299.jpg

Woot! Winsor & Newton Series 7s, sizes 2, 0, 00, and 000! These things better be all that they are cracked up to be on the 'Net! They do look awesome though. Sadly my Army Painter Insane Detail, Character and Masterclass brushes all started degrading (bristles breaking in half or falling out), although I got quite a lot of good use out of them, but it really should have been more. I'd still recommend them over the GW brushes I've used in the past (although I haven't gotten new GW ones in a while, so I can't really comment on the current quality).

Good to see your project developing -

Differently? a lot of things... Better? nothing! :rolleyes: Seriously your brush control skill and your treatment of white surpass my skill level by a mile... Remember when I told you I was against the white details on the legs servos? See how wrong I was? hahahahaha! I really like and respect the time and effort you put in your work and can't wait for the October vow to take shape...

Differently? a lot of things... Better? nothing! :P Seriously your brush control skill and your treatment of white surpass my skill level by a mile... Remember when I told you I was against the white details on the legs servos? See how wrong I was? hahahahaha! I really like and respect the time and effort you put in your work and can't wait for the October vow to take shape...

No no no, you aren't getting off that easy. :D I'd really like to hear some thoughts, even if they are just "I wouldn't have hung a banner from the weapon arm" or "Why didn't you do more work on the back-side of the model, since that's what you actually see as the player". Maybe your comments will spur something loose in my ever-rattling brain-pan and I can do something new on some other models.

I'll give you two ideas :D

Firstly, due to the amazing detail on the model it actually looks 'active' so well done again. IMO not so for the fingers/hand of the DCCW, the surfaces look a little lifeless and let the rest down. I would do a power effect or a metallic look rather than black, but that's just me. If black is what you want and like (and I'm glad we are not all the same or this would be boring ;) ) then I'd add some small details or weathering/battle damage to them.

Secondly, I'd paint your rivets on the black bits metallic too, an easy process that lifts the rest of the model and adds detail without adding actual detail. Esp. on black. Again that's just my preference.

Thirdly (I can't count), ignore me and continue on your awesome path to greatness.

And now that you have my un-needed CnC as he is a fricken brilliant dread, I expect to get some from you about my minis, sometimes we can only learn from critisism, othertimes we can see where we neeed to improve for ourselves. :P

stobz

Now, thanks to a generous helping of patience (that I will be paying for later somehow, I'm assuming with our future children) granted to my beautiful bride, I got to drive around half-way across town (35-40 minute trip each way) to get the following new tools/toys to assist me in my endeavors:

gallery_59244_5847_53299.jpg

Woot! Winsor & Newton Series 7s, sizes 2, 0, 00, and 000! These things better be all that they are cracked up to be on the 'Net! They do look awesome though. Sadly my Army Painter Insane Detail, Character and Masterclass brushes all started degrading (bristles breaking in half or falling out), although I got quite a lot of good use out of them, but it really should have been more. I'd still recommend them over the GW brushes I've used in the past (although I haven't gotten new GW ones in a while, so I can't really comment on the current quality).

I'm very interested how the new brushes turn out. I treated myself to some new GW brushes prior to the ETL starting in May, and have had a generally good experience with them, although I have taken great pains to keep them in good condition! In particular, the basecoat brush, which gets an absolute hammering from me, is still looking almost brand new. So the GW brushes have done well so far in the 5 months since I bought them.

As for the Dreadnought......simply beautiful painting. I especially like the text all over the model. Its something I struggle with and am forcing myself to work on, so seeing really good examples (like yours) really helps to push me on! :lol:

love the paint job on your stone burners!

where did you get the brushes from?i ask as there's a shop in Chelsea that sells W&N brushes that may be an easier trip for you (or where you bought yours might be easier for me :D )

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's been a bit, but I didn't forget! I promise I'm not dead yet!

... Firstly, due to the amazing detail on the model it actually looks 'active' so well done again. IMO not so for the fingers/hand of the DCCW, the surfaces look a little lifeless and let the rest down. I would do a power effect or a metallic look rather than black, but that's just me. If black is what you want and like (and I'm glad we are not all the same or this would be boring ;) ) then I'd add some small details or weathering/battle damage to them.

Secondly, I'd paint your rivets on the black bits metallic too, an easy process that lifts the rest of the model and adds detail without adding actual detail. Esp. on black. Again that's just my preference.

... stobz

I definitely agree on the fingers. Honestly, I'm just not sure how to do it. I know I want to do it with a red energy field effect to semi-match the thunder hammers and lightning claws on the Terminators.

Hmmmm... interesting call on the metal rivets. Silver rivets or brass? Wonder wonder... thoughts anyone?

Amazing dread, brother. The power plant metallics are top notch. I'm still struggling with metallics; perhaps I will give the new brass line a try myself. Thank you.

Danke! I actually really like the new brass line and depending on how you wash it with shades and glazes, you can get different effects. A blue + green glaze would probably make a pretty nice patina effect (haven't tried it myself yet). The same probably holds true for the rest of the metallics, such that you could get some rust effects, etc.

I'm very interested how the new brushes turn out. I treated myself to some new GW brushes prior to the ETL starting in May, and have had a generally good experience with them, although I have taken great pains to keep them in good condition! In particular, the basecoat brush, which gets an absolute hammering from me, is still looking almost brand new. So the GW brushes have done well so far in the 5 months since I bought them.

As for the Dreadnought......simply beautiful painting. I especially like the text all over the model. Its something I struggle with and am forcing myself to work on, so seeing really good examples (like yours) really helps to push me on! :(

Thanks facmanpob! I'm definitely liking the W&N brushes! They have really nice tips and the paint flows from them very well. The 000 brush is kinda tricky to use because it can end up with too much paint on it, which doesn't let paint off the tip easily and it folds over, making your lines thicker than you want.

Glad you like the dreadnought! The best advice I can give on the text is use thin paint to do it and practice on some paper or unused models. It helps if you have a plan on how you want to do the lettering.

love the paint job on your stone burners!

where did you get the brushes from?i ask as there's a shop in Chelsea that sells W&N brushes that may be an easier trip for you (or where you bought yours might be easier for me :) )

:) Glad you like 'em!

Got the brushes from a shop here in Texas (sorry, don't live in the UK).

So, some better pics of the combat squad from October's Path to Redemption!

gallery_59244_5847_48595.jpg

gallery_59244_5847_15560.jpggallery_59244_5847_62827.jpg

gallery_59244_5847_9415.jpggallery_59244_5847_32465.jpg

gallery_59244_5847_52353.jpggallery_59244_5847_19411.jpggallery_59244_5847_16315.jpg

gallery_59244_5847_71379.jpggallery_59244_5847_18515.jpg

gallery_59244_5847_24618.jpggallery_59244_5847_19902.jpg

gallery_59244_5847_397.jpg

More Squaddies!

gallery_59244_5847_88319.jpggallery_59244_5847_82391.jpg

gallery_59244_5847_31141.jpggallery_59244_5847_50019.jpg

gallery_59244_5847_25328.jpggallery_59244_5847_13239.jpg

gallery_59244_5847_39154.jpggallery_59244_5847_17605.jpg

gallery_59244_5847_66185.jpggallery_59244_5847_14426.jpg

gallery_59244_5847_46450.jpggallery_59244_5847_47574.jpggallery_59244_5847_20305.jpg

gallery_59244_5847_91681.jpggallery_59244_5847_24100.jpg

gallery_59244_5847_50944.jpggallery_59244_5847_12814.jpggallery_59244_5847_18256.jpg

So, there are a couple of little green flecks on the models heads. I'm assuming they came from the backpack. They aren't on the models now, so I'm assuming they wiped away easily.

Thoughts? Comments and Criticism?

(Edit: Also, as a side note, I updated my "Completed Stoneburner Squads" thread as well, so there are some new pictures with some better background loaded there)

Bryan Blaire your freehand detail work is outstanding -- seriously good design and application :lol:. It's waht turns 'excellent' into 'stellar'.

Cheers

I

Fantastic work Bryan - the attention to detail is amazing.

I especially like the way you have done the silver cross-hatching on the bolter and the knee pads rock!

2 little points :)

You ARE going to something fantastic with the bases arn't you?

Have you thought about gloss varnishing the was on the purity seal? Was is normally a bit shiney and I started doing it on mine a while ago and it makes a big difference (in my eyes anyway :D ).

These are outstanding Bryan. The free hand markings make for a very individual force indeed.

What I'd do differently? The only thing would be to tone down the wear on the metal part of the bolters. SMs are notorious for the maintenance of their equipment and these look too worn out for even a guardsman. I think the effect works well on the larger items, like the Dreradnought were wear is inveitable even during the course of a single battle but so much wear on the single bolter? I don't know...

The only thing would be to tone down the wear on the metal part of the bolters. SMs are notorious for the maintenance of their equipment and these look too worn out for even a guardsman. I think the effect works well on the larger items, like the Dreradnought were wear is inveitable even during the course of a single battle but so much wear on the single bolter? I don't know...

On the other hand if you consider that this bolter might be at least a couple of centuries old....

The only thing would be to tone down the wear on the metal part of the bolters. SMs are notorious for the maintenance of their equipment and these look too worn out for even a guardsman. I think the effect works well on the larger items, like the Dreradnought were wear is inveitable even during the course of a single battle but so much wear on the single bolter? I don't know...

On the other hand if you consider that this bolter might be at least a couple of centuries old....

...which would be brand new for 40k standards! :) Seriously though, it's a personal taste thing...

That's a beautiful green you've got the Bryan, along with some lovely miniatures overall. Well done!

Can I ask about the W&N Series 7 brushes though?

My local Hobbycraft carries these (at an, I'm sure, inflated price) but they're not the Miniature versions of the brushes. Does the Miniatures Series 7 relate the the size of the brushes handle, and not the bristle size?

Really want to invest in a set of these.

Cheers,

WW

Archived