Nemesis Dreadknight!

While I have no intention of starting with GK's, this kit has some great potential for other conversions. Old school Epic fans will see what I mean..

http://i89.servimg.com/u/f89/12/99/98/55/photo_31.jpg

Absolutely, just need to build a suitable chainsaw arm, cannon and cockpit, instant Knight Titan.

Finally a way to do Knight Households for Apocalypse.. :D

I'm excited :D

So I saw it and all I see is potential defilers, Martian legio cybernetica and finally Voltron. I cannot take this model seriously I am sorry it is kinda retarded. I mean it reminds me of the apes from matrix 2 and 3....wait why don't we just shoot the guy piloting it? And seriously if the reason they arn't killed is force fields I want them to be modeled on, Just a little bit of clear colored plastic.

As for the rest of the range Emperor's Children Phoenix Guard.

Honestly, I have no problem with the rules they come up with and all that, but, the design is just awful. I don't like the slenderness of the limbs, it looks far too easy to just linebacker into with your Bloodthirster/Great Unclean One, and then leave it flailing on the ground the rest of the battle.

That said, were the frame itself bulked up and some kind of cockpit put in place, I really wouldn't mind it.

I was about to agree with this but I'm starting to like it actually. Maybe a little conversion necassary. Make it a little shorter and the armor will look as bulky as it ought to be. Too much though and it becomes midget titan.

Upon further inspection I've spotted why I think it looks too tall and gangly. The Hammer in the picture looks tiny but if you look at the sword its the right proportion. The hammer is barely bigger than the termie pilot while the sword is twice the size. Bigger hammer is the solution! Seriously just cut the legs off at the ankle and the hammer looks right but do the same with the sword picture and its way too short.

Did you see my earlier post. I am fairly certain that no one from the inside has ever given insight to the designers working condition's since early 4th edition. When Andy and his type left, the peaks behind the curtain ceased. Yes, development time should be several months for a whole codex, but I can't believe that THIS UNIT took any time at all to come up with. In fact it was likely the last rushed thing they threw in to meet the deadline. The work on THIS UNIT is clearly shoddy and quite obviously so. I guess your standards are low for what should be creatively driven end product.

Or maybe, just maybe, he has normal/high standards and this meets them. The fact that someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they have low standards, or don't know what they're talking about (which is what you're implying in your posts). Frankly, I think you're being extremely rude and insulting to those who disagree with your view. I like the Dreadknight. This doesn't mean I'm just some stupid kid, or that I have low standards, or any nonsense like that. We just disagree, it's as simple as that.

It's funny.. a little while back when when the Stormraven came around, I was on board with those that thouht it was too damn ugly; kinda like a Tunderhawk and a Landraider had a kid, but with proportions all wrong. I dont feel as anti about the thing now, though I'm not too fond of it either. But it undeniably looks like a space marine vehicle.

And then this.. dreadknight? Is that supposed to be a pun for dreadnought? :) The model looks kinda decent, could even be great when I see it in person... it's just so unfitting. Not only is the concept just dumb, it's just too futur-y for a Grey Knights model, it should've looked more medieval or even steampunkish for it too work.

But even for just spacemarines, it looks too sleek, too slender. Space Marine things are boxy & bulky, angled.

This thing looks like a Tau engineer had a Sentinel & Wraithlord laying around, and made something..

It doesnt bother me that much, the model itself. I'm not going to buy it, simple as that. My beef however is these things are among the big hyped releases that GW wants us to buy.. I'm afraid for the direction this is going in.

For those critical of this mini... try instead to look for the potential..

My two cents:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhwavojDMF1qd9z3no1_500.jpg

And with that picture I think I see GW's reasoning. With a cockpit it looks like it needs an armor value in my opinion. Space marine monstrous creature is a new idea that'll be hard to execute because they just don't breed marines that big. At least with out a cockpit they can justify that there's no armor to punch through to get to the juicy insides. Sure it doesn't justify four wounds but it does the other qualities of a monstrous creature. It's big and looks like it's needs 2d6 armor pen. It's not biological so it should go down easier than most MC's. Basically it's an idea that'll be near impossible to execute to gamer standards and will probably be retconned

Yea resilience would do it. But then you have the question of that lucky lascannon or melta shot that hits the pilot dead on. Which of course can be countered by the fact that war is chaos and really your just lucky to hit anything at all. But space marines are super soldiers and their aim is always true you say? No they're just shooting alot and the reason there heavy bolters and such only get 3 shots is because of all the ammo they shoot only 3 have a real chance of hitting. And game mechanics but this could keep going back and forth all day. Regardless I think it's a valiant attempt at a space marine MC and if you have a better idea without it becoming a vehicle or walker post it up. I'm sure everyone here will have something to say.

Also I'm not saying that I love it but I do think the designers need a little more credit than just a kit bash and a couple hours of thinking. And I hope that many fantastic conversions come from this model

Actually, amusingly, it would look more Steampunk-y... if it wasn't, you know, Grey Knight silver.

Paint the whole thing brass and bronze and put some weathering around the nuts and bolts and you've got a quality steampunk mecha vibe going on. Still looks like someone strapped a glove to a power loader, but that's not an inherently bad image. The papoose is a little silly, but I like the external pistons for extra punching power. It's a pity they'll make the arms a pain to pose. So totally not the word I wanted to use there. >>

What I don't get is all the Avatar comparisons. Really, apart from being a bipedal mecha with the shoulders situated above the cockpit, what similarities does it have? The Avatar mechs have hands and carry weapons, like a Gundam, as well as purely internal mechanicals, whereas these have arm-mounted weapons, like the 'Queen-killer' Power Loaders from the Aliens comics, or a Battletech 'Elemental' power armour. The hands seem kind of secondary.

It does make me want to put a missile rack between the shoulders though.

Ball joints nothing, I've seen the model. The piston extensions are single pieces, which means that you can position your ball-joined arms anywhere... as long as the sockets for the piston's ball joints are in the right place for the piston to connect them together. That means you have about three degrees of wobble room before you start having to cut things.

it appears that GW has decided to make the dreadknight a monstrous creature when it's clearly a vehicle, just like the dreadnought that they should have used in this role but apparently felt that they couldn't because of Rules Limitations.

I always understood this point. Thats why I said that I had NO PROBLEM with the rules they gave it. The execution of the model and overall concept are outright stupid and as others have said doesn't fit with Imperial Power Armour

This thing looks like a Tau engineer had a Sentinel & Wraithlord laying around, and made something..

Like wise.

Too much though and it becomes midget titan.

Yes, why not a mini titan? This goes back to what I was saying about Imperial Robots fitting the role of the Nemesis Dreadknight on the battlefield. YES, I know some of you cannot handle this idea. So why not a mini titan or a Monstrous creature SERVITOR? Couldn't Ogryns can be made into some kind of Arco-flagellant/Penitent Engine unit that counts as a Monstrous creature?

This is why people are calling the idea behind this unit DUMB. Its shows that GW's design staff put no thought into consistancy. They just had a short round table development meeting and spit this thing out in 5 minutes, then followed the meeting up with a look at the B&C's in-progress modeling board. Then voila after half a day kitbashing from bits a GW modeler comes up with this junk. Yes some folks are disagreeing with me about aesthetics, but THERE IS NO WAY the idea behind the Nemesis Dreadknight took very long in the development cycle of the GK codex.

I just started with 40k about a year ago so I'm not an expert at anything really :P

But for me this mini sort of destroys the feel that Mountrous Creatures should cause to a marine army. I think it's great that it's almost suicidal to face them in close combat and that you have to shoot them with everything you've got before they tear you apart!

Now it's just like "bring the dreadknights"! But I don't know, maybe that's how the GK are supposed to be?

On a different note, from what I've read so far, the dreadknight is more resilient to missiles but not to, say, relic blades? That seems odd...

Let's watch the personal attacks and the stating folks are dumb/idiots for their ideas or army plans. Debate civilly or do not post.

This is why people are calling the idea behind this unit DUMB

It's probably horribly offensive to say but by midget Titan I was implying that the proportions would be horribly wrong. A mini Titan would work and look good. Aren't they called knight titans? And won't those count as vehicles effectively making them tall dreadnoughts? That's the barrier right there. GW wanted to give them a MC. So I guess a good question is does any PA army need MC's? My tyranid playing friends will not be happy. And will probably be furious if they spread to other marine armies

It's probably horribly offensive to say but by midget Titan I was implying that the proportions would be horribly wrong. A mini Titan would work and look good. Aren't they called knight titans? And won't those count as vehicles effectively making them tall dreadnoughts? That's the barrier right there. GW wanted to give them a MC. So I guess a good question is does any PA army need MC's? My tyranid playing friends will not be happy. And will probably be furious if they spread to other marine armies

Eldar Wraithlords are essentailly small versions of Phantom titans they use the same psycho-plastic in the construction and they both have spirits running around them controlling things (well a wraithlord has 1)... The Titan will have vehicles stats when it comes out... the wraithlord lord is a MC... so they could have either of them the other way... or the NDK into a vehicle or left it as an MC... how the model looks has no effect on the rules other than what GW decides... look at the witch hunter inquisitor lord... looks like he has a handflamer to me... can he take a handflamer? No... it is an inferno pistol.

There is artwork of it being an inferno pistol as well, but the art doesn't have actual flames coming out the end.

Treating a Knight Titan as a MC would be pretty awesome, but then you run into the brick wall of its Void Shield. The thing's basically an Evangelion - one shield, mind-impulse controlled by a single pilot, and it runs off batteries.

Anyway, you end up with a monstrous creature that has to be killed as an AV14 vehicle first before you can start taking wounds off.

+++ INCOMING TRANSMISSION +++

+++ DATE: 991.03.11.M41 +++

+++ ORIGIN: OI HIGH COMMAND +++

+++ TO: ALL OI COMMANDERS +++

+++ CLEARANCE: GREEN +++

+++ SUBJECT: FAITH IN THE EMPEROR +++

A new codex and revamped model range -- including brand new models and rules never before seen -- are bound to raise strong passions both FOR and AGAINST.

As this debate continues, all I ask is that you remain RESPECTFUL instead of DISMISSIVE. I have seen too much of the latter in several of the recent posts in this topic.

Be civil. Or be subject to EXTERMINATUS. By my hand.

The Emperor protects.

+++ END TRANSMISSION +++

Archived