Most Powerful GK Build

Gentlemanloser

I don't know what most of these new designations are, but according to the existing SM codex, Razorbacks only fit 6 models. 10-man squad won't work, bud.

With many of the SM codices, there is no restriction (with dedicated transports) on units that take them "having to be of a unit size=x or less" to take them.

10 man tac squad can have razorback (Cap:6). Combat squad and half take the ride.

10 man terminator squad can take a land raider (dedicated) Cap:5 termies. CS and half take the ride.

I really like the look of Vindicares. Whether it is taking down enemy Librarians/RunePriests effectively on a 4+, removing Long Fang sergeants, taking down inv saves on enemy HQs or using the 4D6 pen AP1 shots to go at heavy armour. They have great flexibility at their price.

Yeah I agree. They've really done a good job making him viable again. So many units are reliant on squad leaders or IC's granting buffs, just begging for a round to the face. I have the model so I'll give him a go instead of the fire support Dreadnought I was going to take.

like the idea of Scouting Nemesis DreadKnights getting 1st turn charges against Long Fangs or anything else you want to tie up in the opponents' backfield.

Nevermind that, Outflank with them. Remember, the first turn charge relies on your getting first turn, which isn't a certainty (plenty of 'Seize Initiative' shenanigans in other codicies now). With Outflank, you can both threaten the enemy backline (just remember to give him a heavy incinerator) and still have the option of coming on your side to shore up an enemy breakthrough (say if your Strike squads are getting overwhelmed). Scout is nice, but Outflank is better.

There's no obvious undercosted troops to spam. Coteaz costing 100pts to unlock troop Henchmen is still a redundant premium on really bad BS3 Warriors. 6 Grey Knights in a TL AssCannon Psybolt Razorback look good, but they are over 200pts.

Forget Razorbacks, take a full squad with dual psycannon in a Rhino (or if you want to make a MSU list, take Crowe and 5-man Purifier squads with dual psycannon in Rhinos). Razorbacks are too gimpy, they force you to combat squad (which is basically making things easier for the enemy, because they can focus fire you more easily). Anyway, Warriors aint so bad. They make up for their BS3 with delicious spam (seriously, mount them in a Chimera and make melta-Mech Guard cry with jealousy). Coteaz may not be as awesome as a Librarian, but for a mere human he's pretty badass.

Quick Q: What does Master-Crafted do to template weapons these days?

Well, I'm not sure you can master-craft any template weapons. Example?

Example would be a Purgation Justicar taking his a Incinerator and Master-crafting it.

Justicars and Keepers of the Flame can't take special weapon options (they're like Sergeants). If you read the unit entry, it says 'up to x Grey Knights may...'

Having said that, Paladins do have the option of master-crafting 'any weapon', so your point is still valid. As a temporary house-rule (because they clearly didn't think it through when they wrote that), I'd say you re-roll one failed roll to wound. Either that or it does nothing :huh:

Justicars and Keepers of the Flame can't take special weapon options (they're like Sergeants). If you read the unit entry, it says 'up to x Grey Knights may...'

Having said that, Paladins do have the option of master-crafting 'any weapon', so your point is still valid. As a temporary house-rule (because they clearly didn't think it through when they wrote that), I'd say you re-roll one failed roll to wound. Either that or it does nothing :huh:

or a Grand Master MC'ing his Incinerator!

Anyway, Warriors aint so bad. They make up for their BS3 with delicious spam (seriously, mount them in a Chimera and make melta-Mech Guard cry with jealousy).

They've limited the number of special weapons the squad can get. No 12 meltagun shenanigans.

You can take 3 meltaguns in a Warrior Acolyte squad, and fill the rest with Hot Shot Lasguns to make scary anti MEQ units. But you still need to drop that 100pts for the privilege of them being troops. And Coteaz really is quite rubbish

A dread has S6, rules for the DCCW state the the users S is doubled to a max of S10.

It effectively has the same description as a PF, except that it doesn't reduce to I1.

Nothing in the description of the DCCW defines it as only available to dreads.

Except that the rules state "walker" not 'user'.

Rulebook page 93: "a dreadnought close combat weapon is a power weapon and doubles the walkers strength in close combat" emphasis mine. So assuming that a monstrous creature gets the same benefit from a walkers weapons is a stretch. Its the same as thinking sammael or a regular land speeder can tank shock just like the eldar, however only the eldars skimmers are actually classified as 'tank'.

Play it as you will but I wouldnt be surprised if it gets faq'd up.

Edit: fyi eldar wraithlord is S10 naturally.

Doesnt bother me because I will be ALWAYS using my DreadKnight to jump pack into Devastators on turn 1/2 and slash them to pieces with a GreatSword

So basically at 1500pts you are looking at only managing 4 units on the board if you dont go Coteaz Henchmen spam. Hmmm... Not sure if it will be able to compete at 1500

A dread has S6, rules for the DCCW state the the users S is doubled to a max of S10.

It effectively has the same description as a PF, except that it doesn't reduce to I1.

Nothing in the description of the DCCW defines it as only available to dreads.

Except that the rules state "walker" not 'user'.

Rulebook page 93: "a dreadnought close combat weapon is a power weapon and doubles the walkers strength in close combat" emphasis mine. So assuming that a monstrous creature gets the same benefit from a walkers weapons is a stretch. Its the same as thinking sammael or a regular land speeder can tank shock just like the eldar, however only the eldars skimmers are actually classified as 'tank'.

Play it as you will but I wouldnt be surprised if it gets faq'd up.

FYI Eldar wraithlords do (or did in the old dex... I would have to check now) have deadnought close combat weapons and that is why they are S10... This may not be the case now but this has existed before :) if that helps shed any light on how this rule should be played.

You can take 3 meltaguns in a Warrior Acolyte squad, and fill the rest with Hot Shot Lasguns to make scary anti MEQ units. But you still need to drop that 100pts for the privilege of them being troops. And Coteaz really is quite rubbish

Why is he rubbish?

FYI Eldar wraithlords do (or did in the old dex... I would have to check now) have deadnought close combat weapons and that is why they are S10... This may not be the case now but this has existed before :) if that helps shed any light on how this rule should be played.

They're just naturally s10 in the current edition. They have no specific CCWs, they just have 2 attacks at s10.

No invulnerable save. T3. I1 in CC with base S3. He doesn't have much use aside from his bootleg old codex 'Mystic' anti deep strike ability, and the aforementioned unlocking of Henchmen as Troops

No invulnerable save. T3. I1 in CC with base S3. He doesn't have much use aside from his bootleg old codex 'Mystic' anti deep strike ability, and the aforementioned unlocking of Henchmen as Troops

Surround him with 9-14 Death cult assassins in a rhino,a storm raven, or a LR crusader.... 36 to 56 WS5 S5, I6 attacks on the charge from a troops choice (+1 from Cortez HammerHand)...does not suck.

Land this unit anywhere within 6" of a Librarian with "Might of Ancients" and add another +1 Strength and extra d6 armor pen (BTW, the rule states "any friendly unit") for 36 to 56 WS5 S6 I6 power weapon attacks with two d6 armor pen...from a troop choice... and a well played combination charge could clear a board edge full of anything in the game.

For laughs and giggles, I wonder if the Libby with teleort hommer and "summoning" power on LR with a warp field stabilizer...could then use it's assault vehicle rule for models inside to launch an assault from? Thus....only the Libby needs to get close, proabably snuggled in a Terminator troop choice midfield....then summon the LR(movement phase)....out pop the DC assassins, Libby pop Might of Titans (assault phase)....massive assault from nowhere (and certainly from outside of melta range).

BDS

Whats everyones thoughts on Dragio as a HQ choice?

Planning to run a deepstriking "Deathwing" style army but cant decide whether to take Dragio or a grandmaster as a HQ choice.

Obviously the hq choice then dictates what units i take paladins, tgk etc

I know it wont be that competitive but should be fun to play.

Whats everyones thoughts on Dragio as a HQ choice?

Planning to run a deepstriking "Deathwing" style army but cant decide whether to take Dragio or a grandmaster as a HQ choice.

Obviously the hq choice then dictates what units i take paladins, tgk etc

I know it wont be that competitive but should be fun to play.

I would take a normal Grand Master, but I confess that's because I don't really like Draigo's model, and his fluff annoys me.

Terminator Grey Knights aren't as survivable as Paladins, but they are more numerous, and in a small elite army numbers count for a lot.

For my money I'd take a Grand Master, give him a psycannon and force halberd (initiative 7) and psybolt ammunition. 3 strength 8 rending shots at 24 inches is nothing to sneeze at. He's pricey at 220 points, but he's a one man wrecking crew.

Terminators I'd field as ten man squads with two psycannon and psybolt ammunition. Two guys would have hammers. I'd combat squad them into five man, one psycannon, one hammer. I do it that way rather than two five man squads because I save 20 points on the psybolt ammo. I leave the force swords because they then have the 4++ in combat, and against something scary they need to survive long enough for the hammer to dispose of it. Each squad is 470 points if I've calculated correctly. If I were fielding a squad focused entirely on close combat I would take 7 halberds, 2 hammers, and the brotherhood standard. The extra 9 attacks compensates for the loss of one force weapon, and automatically activating the force weapon effect saves on rolls against things like Shadow in the Warp or Runes of Warding. You can even get by without hammerhand, because if you don't wound with the halberds, you will wound with the hammers.

This is what I think might be the best list setup for the codex, including henchman builds :D

Libby; 165

10 GK's; 2x Cannon, Psybolt, MC Hammer, rhino 295

Psyfleman 135

Psyfleman 135

Psyfleman 135

Total: 1750

I made it with assistence of MVBrandt, so kudos to him too. It doesn't look all that powerfull at first glance maybe, but what it lacks in pure power (gimmicks, shinyness whatever you wanna call it) it makes up for in sheer reliability. Ton of shooting and bodies with a Libririan which supports the army in a perfect way. Psyfleman are there for the mandatory long range 'supression fire'. Note: you join 1 unit of GK's with the libby, so they don't ride in a rhino but it's still worth taking the rhino.

Most people didn't see this coming now did they? :P

I would take a normal Grand Master, but I confess that's because I don't really like Draigo's model, and his fluff annoys me.

Terminator Grey Knights aren't as survivable as Paladins, but they are more numerous, and in a small elite army numbers count for a lot.

For my money I'd take a Grand Master, give him a psycannon and force halberd (initiative 7) and psybolt ammunition. 3 strength 8 rending shots at 24 inches is nothing to sneeze at. He's pricey at 220 points, but he's a one man wrecking crew.

Terminators I'd field as ten man squads with two psycannon and psybolt ammunition. Two guys would have hammers. I'd combat squad them into five man, one psycannon, one hammer. I do it that way rather than two five man squads because I save 20 points on the psybolt ammo. I leave the force swords because they then have the 4++ in combat, and against something scary they need to survive long enough for the hammer to dispose of it. Each squad is 470 points if I've calculated correctly. If I were fielding a squad focused entirely on close combat I would take 7 halberds, 2 hammers, and the brotherhood standard. The extra 9 attacks compensates for the loss of one force weapon, and automatically activating the force weapon effect saves on rolls against things like Shadow in the Warp or Runes of Warding. You can even get by without hammerhand, because if you don't wound with the halberds, you will wound with the hammers.

Psybolt ammunition does not apply to psycannons. There's no reason to take them on a Grand Master with a psycannon, and it'd only apply to the storm bolters on the Terminator squads.

Surround him with 9-14 Death cult assassins in a rhino,a storm raven, or a LR crusader.... 36 to 56 WS5 S5, I6 attacks on the charge from a troops choice (+1 from Cortez HammerHand)...does not suck.

Land this unit anywhere within 6" of a Librarian with "Might of Ancients" and add another +1 Strength and extra d6 armor pen (BTW, the rule states "any friendly unit") for 36 to 56 WS5 S6 I6 power weapon attacks with two d6 armor pen...from a troop choice... and a well played combination charge could clear a board edge full of anything in the game.

For laughs and giggles, I wonder if the Libby with teleort hommer and "summoning" power on LR with a warp field stabilizer...could then use it's assault vehicle rule for models inside to launch an assault from? Thus....only the Libby needs to get close, proabably snuggled in a Terminator troop choice midfield....then summon the LR(movement phase)....out pop the DC assassins, Libby pop Might of Titans (assault phase)....massive assault from nowhere (and certainly from outside of melta range).

BDS

How are you getting 14 DCA? I thought the max was 12.

Vehicles transported via The Summoning count as moving flat out and so you can't charge until the next turn. It's a nice idea though.

BDS

How are you getting 14 DCA? I thought the max was 12.

Vehicles transported via The Summoning count as moving flat out and so you can't charge until the next turn. It's a nice idea though.

Ah, working from the PDF is how I got 14....but honestly 12 will do just fine.

Regarding the LR...isnt' 12" the fastest the thing can go and you can assault out of it when it does go 12"....probably will need the actual codex to sor this out and read with BRB in hand.

You should be able to summon a vehicle and it contents when equipped with "warp stabilizer" from across the board and do many tactical things:

Summon any vehicle with desirable armament for the situation to whint 6"

Get the infantry out of vehicle and shoot another or same target

Place the vechile just within 6", disembart to max 2" and run to contest take late turn objectives

Two Libby's will let you deploy using many feints and re position to overload a side.

The codex will favor many tactical applications.

BDS

This is what I think might be the best list setup for the codex, including henchman builds :P

Libby; 165

Psyfleman 135

Psyfleman 135

Psyfleman 135

I made it with assistence of MVBrandt, so kudos to him too. It doesn't look all that powerfull at first glance maybe, but what it lacks in pure power (gimmicks, shinyness whatever you wanna call it) it makes up for in sheer reliability. Ton of shooting and bodies with a Libririan which supports the army in a perfect way. Psyfleman are there for the mandatory long range 'supression fire'. Note: you join 1 unit of GK's with the libby, so they don't ride in a rhino but it's still worth taking the rhino.

Most people didn't see this coming now did they? ;)

This is solid. I would sub one unit for GK Terminators with psybolt ammo for the LIbby to hang with either 5 man or 7 man (7 man is closer to 295pts). I would also drop a psyfleman dred for a tech marine with orbital relay and psyber skulls, with psyber skulls on Libby you can help control the field and drop the relay ordnace on whateve is de meched.....With the tech marine and libby

"Stealth" your Libby and unit could be sitting midfield objective with 2+ cover save forcing the opponent to let them sit and shoot or CC them out.

In the first move to 1850 or over...include a Vindicare assassin.

BDS

This is what I think might be the best list setup for the codex, including henchman builds ;)

Libby; 165

Psyfleman 135

Psyfleman 135

Psyfleman 135

Most people didn't see this coming now did they? ^_^

Psyfleman is probably the worst name I have ever heard.

I'd rather say Psy-Rifleman :P

Did you guys know you apply the Grand Master's battlefield roles before combat squads?

Grand Strategy says before you deploy and Combat Squads when you deploy.

This is what I think might be the best list setup for the codex, including henchman builds ;)

Libby; 165

Psyfleman 135

Psyfleman 135

Psyfleman 135

Most people didn't see this coming now did they? ;)

Psyfleman is probably the worst name I have ever heard.

I'd rather say Psy-Rifleman :)

Did you guys know you apply the Grand Master's battlefield roles before combat squads?

Grand Strategy says before you deploy and Combat Squads when you deploy.

Nice catch! Hurray for 6 five man squads of scoring purifiers that can each cast cleansing flame!

Archived