IA: Angels Adamantine (Edited 2-20-2018)

Riconas

It's also possible that, during an expedition into a Space Hulk, many dead Terminators from a previous expedition were found with their armour relatively intact; this would makes sense since it's usually Terminators that board Space Hulks, and many times they don't return. It's also possible that these Terminators belonged to a lost Chapter, meaning there's nobody to return them to, unless they want to send them to the AdMech, which, while most Chapters would probably do so, not everyone would necessarily be so inclined. So it stands to reason that the possibility exists that the Chapter boarded a Space Hulk, found a bunch of dead Termies from a Chapter that no longer exists, and decided to keep the armour to replenish their own stocks (if I were sending my Marines on such a dangerous mission, I would consider that adequate compensation, especially if I happened to lose some Marines myself).

Sorry, got distracted by RL, and now seems a bit redundant, but for those who keep bringing up teh BA's not handing over the STC for the Baal I'd ask them to consider this:

It was found during the Great Crusade. That means that it wasnt the BA's who decided not to share it, it was the Primarch Sanguinius who decided. And the Emperor did not see fit to overrule him. The chance of a First Founding Chapter overruling both their Primarch AND the Emperor... not a lot. The chance that the Ad Mech will chance theri arm and try and make it seem like they should be given something that they have no automatic right to - a darn sight more likely.

Thanks for that clarification, Leonaides; however, it would have been nice of you to include some sort of source material for your statement. I only say this because people in general have an easier time accepting a statement if some sort of evidence is provided along with it; otherwise, it sort of turns into a "because I said so" or "he said/she said" kind of thing. That's why I always try to provide links to materials I reference for my statements. And in keeping with that, I'll provide a link that helps substantiate your statement:

Lexicanum Article on the Baal Predator

Also, here is an excerpt, for those who don't feel like searching for it within the article (not that it's hard to find):

The pattern has seen service by the Blood Angels almost since their inception as a Legion. The STC template for the Baal's construction was recovered during the early Great Crusade. Instead of giving to the Adeptus Mechanicus, the Blood Angels kept it, returning it to Baal, where it remains to this day, protected in stasis as a relic of the Chapter. The design is now only produced by the Blood Angels themselves and by their descendant chapters.

Obviously, there's nothing there to specifically state that it was Sanguinius himself that found the template, or that he decided himself not to share it, or that the Emperor decided not to stand against the decision; however, there are some logical assumptions that can be drawn from the statement.

Edited by Riconas

It's also possible that, during an expedition into a Space Hulk, many dead Terminators from a previous expedition were found with their armour relatively intact; this would makes sense since it's usually Terminators that board Space Hulks, and many times they don't return. It's also possible that these Terminators belonged to a lost Chapter, meaning there's nobody to return them to, unless they want to send them to the AdMech, which, while most Chapters would probably do so, not everyone would necessarily be so inclined. So it stands to reason that the possibility exists that the Chapter boarded a Space Hulk, found a bunch of dead Termies from a Chapter that no longer exists, and decided to keep the armour to replenish their own stocks (if I were sending my Marines on such a dangerous mission, I would consider that adequate compensation, especially if I happened to lose some Marines myself).

Lol, but the "thing" that killed these Terminators is still "here".... :lol:

Lol, but the "thing" that killed these Terminators is still "here".... :D

Nah .. it got sick and died weeks ago. :D

Lol, but the "thing" that killed these Terminators is still "here".... :D

How do we know that? Is everything that boards a Space Hulk instantly trapped there for all eternity? If it were Tyranids or Chaos, then they might stick around for a while, but not necessarily; if it were Orks (or some other xenos), they would probably have taken off a while ago. Besides, who is to say how long ago they died? Perhaps they died hundreds or thousands of years ago. There really is no way of knowing, since it's basically up to me to determine everything anyway.

It seems to me like you're deliberately trying to poke holes in this; I'm curious as to why. :P

• 2 years later...

Just in case anyone has been following this, I've been on a bit of a hiatus due to work. However, that should no longer be an issue, at least for the time being. I have a few models close to completion and plan on posting pics once I finish them. So stay tuned!

• 2 years later...

In case anyone is following this thread, I just replaced all of the broken image links, and modified/added a bit of info. I've been working on my army (check it out here), so I haven't had much time to work on this thread, but I'll hopefully be able to get back to it soon and add some more info. Check back in a bit! Thanks for following!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

UPDATE!!!!!

Hey, I know it's been a while since I last updated this thread (almost a year, actually), but with the recent release of 8th Edition and the addition of Primaris Marines, I felt it was a good time to add some more info regarding the history of the Chapter, so I updated the Beliefs section regarding Riconas' rise to Chapter Master, as well as added a Chronology section detailing various events and actions regarding the Chapter. I've only added a few thus far, but there will be more to come, so enjoy!

Edited by Riconas

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!

Just updated the Chronology section with some lore pertaining to one of my Assault Terminators; speaking of which, I've got some more WIP pics of my army coming soon, so be sure to stay tuned to my other thread!!

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/305612-angels-adamantine-ba-successor/?hl=+angels%20+adamantine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Its moons, while sharing the Adamantium-rich mountain formations (in lesser profile) as their primary, each have a vastly different climate and ecosystem, including a wide variety of animal species, most native to their respective habitats...

It is unknown how four satellites can vary so greatly in climate from one another and their primary, though it has been rumored that some sort of ancient terraforming process was launched on Archurus millennia ago, with each moon being a separate testing ground.

As moons tend to have too little mass to generate the gravity that sustains a breathable atmosphere, you should include details on the archeotech that allows the moons to be inhabitable. Hell, that would justify the AdMech having close relations with your Chapter- even if the closeness is of "keeping your enemies closer," with the AdMech ready to seize everything in Archurus' orbit the moment they receive word the Chapter is wiped out or was declared "Excommunicate Traitoris"- no Magos worth his salt will hesitate to give up everything for even a glimpse of such archeotech.

One rumour, however, stands above all the rest; that the Chapter Master, Riconas, is actually the natural-born son of their primarch, Sanguinius. It is claimed that, before the Exalted Emperor came to Baal and Sanguinius subsequently left to join Him on his quest, the Primarch had fallen in love with one of the women in his tribe, and shortly before the Emperor's arrival, had secretly consummated their union and conceived a son.

This "rumor" will make everyone dismiss your Chapter Master as a Mary Sue- and considering MILLENNIA passed between the time Sanguinius died, and the Third War for Armageddon, it's EXTREMELY UNLIKELY a hypothetical "natural-born son of [sanguinius]" will fight beside Capt. Tycho.

A more believable rumor is the idea Riconas is a CLONE of Sanguinius, product of the same AdMech Genetor responsible for the Lamenters' gene-seed. You- and in universe, the Angels Adamantine themselves- must emphasize these rumors are BASELESS, unless you want Riconas to be tarred and feathered as a "Mary Sue."

One rumour, however, stands above all the rest; that the Chapter Master, Riconas, is actually the natural-born son of their primarch, Sanguinius. It is claimed that, before the Exalted Emperor came to Baal and Sanguinius subsequently left to join Him on his quest, the Primarch had fallen in love with one of the women in his tribe, and shortly before the Emperor's arrival, had secretly consummated their union and conceived a son.

As Bjorn says, this is a little much to swallow; first that a primarch would have a relationship with a mortal woman, and second that the child conceived of such a union would survive for as long as Riconas would have had. The only way I can see that being possible is if Riconas became lost in the warp at some point, and re-emerged at a far-later date to prove himself worthy of the title of Chapter Master. Almost no loyalist Marines from the era of the Great Crusade / Heresy era survived for more than centuries, maybe a millennial or two, after the Heresy. The few that did make it to the 41st Millennium are few and far between, and many have since become entombed in dreadnoughts...

This "rumor" will make everyone dismiss your Chapter Master as a Mary Sue- and considering MILLENNIA passed between the time Sanguinius died, and the Third War for Armageddon, it's EXTREMELY UNLIKELY a hypothetical "natural-born son of [sanguinius]" will fight beside Capt. Tycho.

A more believable rumor is the idea Riconas is a CLONE of Sanguinius, product of the same AdMech Genetor responsible for the Lamenters' gene-seed. You- and in universe, the Angels Adamantine themselves- must emphasize these rumors are BASELESS, unless you want Riconas to be tarred and feathered as a "Mary Sue."

As Bjorn says, this is a little much to swallow; first that a primarch would have a relationship with a mortal woman, and second that the child conceived of such a union would survive for as long as Riconas would have had. The only way I can see that being possible is if Riconas became lost in the warp at some point, and re-emerged at a far-later date to prove himself worthy of the title of Chapter Master. Almost no loyalist Marines from the era of the Great Crusade / Heresy era survived for more than centuries, maybe a millennial or two, after the Heresy. The few that did make it to the 41st Millennium are few and far between, and many have since become entombed in dreadnoughts...

This is why I put that it's a rumour, and not a statement of fact; it leaves it open for now until I can find a way to flesh it out a bit more. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that at least a few of the Primarchs would have mated with mortal women, partly because many of them didn't even realize what they really were at first, and partly because there aren't really any female Primarchs, so where else are they going to turn? Perhaps if the Emperor made them all inherently celibate when he created them, I could see that, but as far as I know, there's no mention of such a thing happening, and if the Primarchs can experience the rest of the vast range of emotions, why not love for a woman? (Or a man, if they're so inclined?) I do realize, though, that the bit of Riconas being the natural-born son of Sanguinius is a bit far-fetched; after all, the oldest living Astartes in the Imperium (save for the Primarchs, of course) is Commander Dante of the Blood Angels, and he's only about 1,500 years old. But as I said, that's why I left it as a rumour, because I do plan on fleshing it out a bit more; perhaps something to do with genetic engineering (trying to create a hybrid using Primarch DNA and human DNA, for example); or perhaps the Emperor somehow managed to bring the mother along without Sanguinius' knowledge, knowing that there would be complications with the birth; perhaps he truly was the natural-born son of Sanguinius, but was placed in stasis as an infant or young child. I may even try to find a way to incorporate Belisarius Cawl into it. I just haven't quite figured that part out yet. But thanks for your interest, and the comments! I would love to know what you think of the rest of it (people tend to comment only on what they dislike, rather than what they like).

Edited by Riconas

Its moons, while sharing the Adamantium-rich mountain formations (in lesser profile) as their primary, each have a vastly different climate and ecosystem, including a wide variety of animal species, most native to their respective habitats...

It is unknown how four satellites can vary so greatly in climate from one another and their primary, though it has been rumored that some sort of ancient terraforming process was launched on Archurus millennia ago, with each moon being a separate testing ground.

As moons tend to have too little mass to generate the gravity that sustains a breathable atmosphere, you should include details on the archeotech that allows the moons to be inhabitable. Hell, that would justify the AdMech having close relations with your Chapter- even if the closeness is of "keeping your enemies closer," with the AdMech ready to seize everything in Archurus' orbit the moment they receive word the Chapter is wiped out or was declared "Excommunicate Traitoris"- no Magos worth his salt will hesitate to give up everything for even a glimpse of such archeotech. 

Sorry, didn't see this one before; that's why I added the part about ancient terraforming; also, the size of the celestial body is often what determines its gravity and whether it can hold an atmosphere (at least in part), so it's also possible that they are large enough to generate enough gravity that, with a bit of terraforming, they could actually hold an atmosphere. I agree that I should flesh this out a bit more; I've just been trying to get the basic gist of everything down, and then I'll go back and tweak a lot of things. Thanks again for the comments, though!

I am going to review the rest of the entry tomorrow, it's quite excellent from what I've read so far! As an aside, I certainly don't dislike any of the lore I have read thus far, I just have no evidence of any of the primarchs having relationships or true children. If any primarch did have children, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Sanguinius (I mean he basically is a *probably attractive* angel!). Also, don't forget Bjorn the Fell-Handed of the Space Wolves! He may be a dreadnought these days, but he's still got about 8.5 millennia on Dante :wink: Very good stuff you've got going so far, great attention to detail.

Sorry, didn't see this one before; that's why I added the part about ancient terraforming; also, the size of the celestial body is often what determines its gravity and whether it can hold an atmosphere (at least in part), so it's also possible that they are large enough to generate enough gravity that, with a bit of terraforming, they could actually hold an atmosphere. I agree that I should flesh this out a bit more; I've just been trying to get the basic gist of everything down, and then I'll go back and tweak a lot of things. Thanks again for the comments, though!

The picture you had for Archurus and its moons, shows Archurus is significantly larger; if the moons are naturally large enough to maintain Terra-like gravity, then Archurus' mass means its gravity will be too great for humans to survive on.

Better to say the moons have artificial gravity systems to make them habitable, AND "inertial compensators" or other archeotech to prevent the artificial gravity from making the moons pull themselves into the planet they orbit and destroying them all.

I finally had the time to read over the Chapter history in its entirety just now and I am quite impressed! A few notes from me:

It's a bold move to create your own 22nd Founding Chapter; as you are clearly aware, any Chapter that came directly after the disaster of the cursed 21st Founding is treated with suspicion at best and mistrust at worst. I like your choice though, it makes the good factors of the Angels Adamantine stand out all the more. 

The prevalence of the Black Rage amongst your veterans is intriguing, and it must thus be hard to maintain a full-strength 1st company with such a strange and terrible influence amongst your greatest warriors. I like the idea of having a mostly Terminator-armored 1st Company; I do question how exactly your Chapter would have acquired so many Terminator suits though. It would make sense for them to have a good relationship with the Mechanicum, given the prevalence of resources on the Chapter's home planet / moons and given the prevalence of Techmarines in your force, so I can see how that would be plausible!

I love the idea of music as art! When you hear about the Blood Angels & Co., you usually read things such as "Brother so-and-so was a marvelous sculptor" or "Commander Dante was in his nicely furnished living room painting a mural when I walked in" (well, maybe not quite like that...), so it is  nice to take a break from "traditional" Blood Angels art forms.

If the battle anthem is not the Party Rock Anthem than I am very disappointed.

The idea of a Angels Adamantine Chaplain in Terminator armor leading a squad of berserk veterans in Terminator armor is great. I laughed when you stated that it was the only way for the Chaplain to safely lead Black Rage-inflicted Terminators into battle safely!

The fact that all of the Chapter Masters of the successor Chapters to the Blood Angels were willing to lend their support to rebuilding the Angels Adamantine is a very strong piece to add. I mean, the Blood Angels themselves could barely manage the feat during the events that unfolded in the second Blood Angels omnibus, so this just makes the Chapter seem even more glorious in the eyes of the true servants of the Emperor!

All in all, very well done, I enjoyed the read immensely!

Edited by Tarvek Val

I finally had the time to read over the Chapter history in its entirety just now and I am quite impressed! A few notes from me:

It's a bold move to create your own 22nd Founding Chapter; as you are clearly aware, any Chapter that came directly after the disaster of the cursed 21st Founding is treated with suspicion at best and mistrust at worst. I like your choice though, it makes the good factors of the Angels Adamantine stand out all the more. 

The prevalence of the Black Rage amongst your veterans is intriguing, and it must thus be hard to maintain a full-strength 1st company with such a strange and terrible influence amongst your greatest warriors. I like the idea of having a mostly Terminator-armored 1st Company; I do question how exactly your Chapter would have acquired so many Terminator suits though. It would make sense for them to have a good relationship with the Mechanicum, given the prevalence of resources on the Chapter's home planet / moons and given the prevalence of Techmarines in your force, so I can see how that would be plausible!

I love the idea of music as art! When you hear about the Blood Angels & Co., you usually read things such as "Brother so-and-so was a marvelous sculptor" or "Commander Dante was in his nicely furnished living room painting a mural when I walked in" (well, maybe not quite like that...), so it is  nice to take a break from "traditional" Blood Angels art forms.

If the battle anthem is not the Party Rock Anthem than I am very disappointed.

The idea of a Angels Adamantine Chaplain in Terminator armor leading a squad of berserk veterans in Terminator armor is great. I laughed when you stated that it was the only way for the Chaplain to safely lead Black Rage-inflicted Terminators into battle safely!

The fact that all of the Chapter Masters of the successor Chapters to the Blood Angels were willing to lend their support to rebuilding the Angels Adamantine is a very strong piece to add. I mean, the Blood Angels themselves could barely manage the feat during the events that unfolded in the second Blood Angels omnibus, so this just makes the Chapter seem even more glorious in the eyes of the true servants of the Emperor!

All in all, very well done, I enjoyed the read immensely!

Thank you for your feedback!

- I felt the 22nd Founding would be good, partly because it's fairly vague and mysterious, but also partly because it had the precedent of a Successor Chapter somewhat resisting the Flaw with the Lamenters, which really intrigued me. So I figured, why not?

- I wanted something a bit different from the Progenitor and Successor Chapters that were already out there, and I never saw much (if anything) regarding the Veterans of each Chapter and how they were affected by the Flaw, except perhaps something brief saying that, as Veterans, they found it easier to keep the Flaw in check; but I started thinking that, with so much service and time spent in battle and having to battle against the ever-present threat of the Flaw as well, it would make more sense that they would eventually, gradually, be worn down (because, even though they ARE Astartes, they are also human), some to the point where they can no longer fight the building urges inside of them. I also liked the idea of a mostly-Terminator Veteran Company, similar to the Deathwing, and figured that, since the just aforementioned example had already set the precedent, again, why not? I also started thinking of those Veterans in Terminator armour that ended up succumbing to the Black Rage in the midst of battle; some would die, yes, and in those cases, all efforts would be taken to retrieve and repair the armour; but the Blood Angels Codex also states that not every Death Company Brother falls in battle, and it is therefore the duty of Astorath to end their torment himself. However, even for him, doing so to a Terminator would prove difficult, especially if trying to keep the armour intact, so I've been toying with the idea of keeping the select few Terminators that fall in stasis somehow for future battles in the Death Company; but then, if they were in stasis, as was mentioned in a previous comment, they would likely remove the armour from them, so perhaps instead something about keeping them in temporary stasis on the battlefield long enough to mark them as members of the Death Company (which, since mine has red armour, would likely simply consist of a quick, slapped-on paint job, just enough to let the rest of the Chapter know to give them a wide berth on the battlefield). That's something else I still have yet to flesh out entirely, but I think I'm getting closer. Also, since the planet and its moons are rich in Adamantium, which is one of the most important and widely-used materials in the Imperium, I also think that would be good grounds for a good relationship with the AdMech, as well as the Techmarines, as you mentioned. I'm glad you saw where I was coming from! :smile.:

- I wanted the Chapter to have some similarities to their Progenitor, but like you said, a lot of the artistic focus seemed to be on visual art, so I decided to try a different direction and focus on audible art; this was partly inspired by the Emperor's Children and the Noise Marine's (I've decided that, if I ever made a Traitor Legion army, it would be them). 

- Unfortunately, this is NOT the anthem, but I like to think what I chose would be appropriate for a battlefield. :biggrin.: If it makes you feel any better, though, I AM listening to PRA right now. :)

- Yeah, I figured if there are going to be Terminators in the Death Company (which I seem to remember being a thing back around the time of 3rd Edition, I think), and we have Chaplains in Terminator armour, then it only made sense. :biggrin.: Better safe than sorry!

- I was actually very happy with the direction they took the story of the Blood Angels; I got back into the hobby with 7th Edition, and it was a bit of a cliffhanger, so when I saw what they did with the release of 8th Edition, I was happy, because it allowed me more room to expand on the Chapter. I used to own both the first Blood Angels Omnibus by James Swallow, as well as Red Fury and Black Tide separately; a VERY good series; it's actually the character of Rafen that kind of inspired Riconas and the idea of the Chapter itself.

Thanks for the feedback, it's always appreciated! Feel free to leave any further comments! :smile.:

Edited by Riconas

• 2 years later...

Hey there folks; it's been a while, I know, and I apologize; life just got a hold of me and I couldn't get away. Unfortunately, with everything that's going on right now, I may have some extra time on my hands soon. Only time will tell. But I haven't abandoned you! Or my Chapter! I do plan on adding some more to this thread soon, as well as resuming work on my models, so stay tuned for more in the near future!