The Primarchs' common names.

Paradill

It is implied quite strongly that the Primarchs are known by the imperial populace by various 'nicknames'. I'm starting a project and would like to compile a list of these nicknames, here is what I have so far, if you have any of the missing ones or different than the ones I have written down, let me know. As pertaining to Horus, I want a title from before he became warmaster.

Lion El'Jonson - The Lion

Fulgrim - The Pheonician

Perturabo -

Jaghatai Khan - The Great Khan/The Khan

Leman Russ - The Wolf King/ The Wolf

Rogal Dorn - The Praetorian (?)

Konrad Kurze - The Night Haunter

Sanguinius - The Angel

Ferrus Mannus - The Gorgon

Angron - The Red Angel

Roboute Guilliman - The Consul (?)

Mortarian - The Death Lord

Magnus the Red - The Cyclops

Horus - Lupercal

Lorgar - Aurelian

Vulkan - The Forge Father

Corax - The Raven

Alpharius - The Last

Thanks in advance guys.

Paradill

Lupercal is Horus' nickname.

In some really old stuff Angron was called the Red Angel, but there is a Red Angel guy now so not sure with him.

I think Mortarion is the Death Lord or something like that.

Rogal Dorn i believe was the first Emperor's Champion but he passes that title onto Sigismund.

Magnus was the Crimson King

Slightly off topic but pertaining to the nicknames.....

Lorgars nickname of Urizen (for the record) stems from William Blakes 'Book of Urizen'. This tale has many similarities to the HH itself and is an interesting read for any fans of Lorgar.

Though I have not read any of the HH books yet, I did browse them for references to Guilliman and the Ultramarines (sparse as they are), and I don't think I recall any nickname for him. IIRC he is allways referred to as "Guilliman", on rare occasions as "Roboute" by some of his brothers.

Edit: Though the name "Roboute", which was given to him by his foster father King Guillaume when he was found by him on Macragge, means "Great One" in the macraggan language.

Minor nitpick - the HH books imply that these "nicknames" were mainly used by the Primarchs' respective Legions, and not necessarily by the Imperium at large (although some might have been known on a wider scale).

Unfortunately with Guilleman we dont have a lot on him. He briefly appears in the TFH and there is short story of him in AOD. Perhaps when a full HH novel comes out we will get a nickname for him.

Well no one really needs a nickname none of the Primarchs require it they just get given it. Now as for getting one he may have had a pet name from his adpotive father or picked one up during his time in the military before the coming of the Emperor and it may just stick.

Lorgars nickname of Urizen (for the record) stems from William Blakes 'Book of Urizen'. This tale has many similarities to the HH itself and is an interesting read for any fans of Lorgar.

I struggled to see the Imperium (hell, even his brother primarchs) calling Lorgar the Urizen, given its meaning and source. (40K Chaos? Yes, of course. 30K Imperium? No.) That's one of the reasons his name is more like Horus's (Lupercal), as well as the fact that there was already a precedent for a primarch with his unofficial Legion-given surname becoming something of an informal title.

It's why there's no real incidents of "Urizen" showing up in the Horus Heresy, beyond the occasional reference, whereas Aurelian will show up a great deal, like Lupercal.

I struggled to see the Imperium (hell, even his brother primarchs) calling Lorgar the Urizen, given its meaning and source. (40K Chaos? Yes, of course. 30K Imperium? No.) That's one of the reasons his name is more like Horus's (Lupercal), as well as the fact that there was already a precedent for a primarch with his unofficial Legion-given surname becoming something of an informal title.

It's why there's no real incidents of "Urizen" showing up in the Horus Heresy, beyond the occasional reference, whereas Aurelian will show up a great deal, like Lupercal.

Yeah, I had a minor beef the 1st time I saw Lorgar being referred to as the Urizen as in the relevant text it goes on to say that the name was pulled from pre-imperium Terran history (iirc this in 1k sons in a conversation between Magnus and Russ, tho I don't have my copy to hand).

If the source was aknowledged as the original Blake then no wonder Russ refuses to call Lorgar by this tag. In fact I suspect it would have been deemed an insult to Lorgar.

Maybe the lore devs don't think we read literature :cuss

Unfortunately with Guilleman we dont have a lot on him. He briefly appears in the TFH and there is short story of him in AOD. Perhaps when a full HH novel comes out we will get a nickname for him.

Personal theory... he was considered the dull big brother "follow the book/procedure" by the other primarch's and not given a name. There seems to be a camradari about the other primarch's, albeit with certain lines of animosity drawn. However, up to the point I've read (currently started 1ksons), i've not heard anyone refer in a warm manner about Guilleman. I don't think he strikes me as one who would like or reciprocate one.

He's the dull guy at work that never comes to the christmas night out... :D

Personal theory... he was considered the dull big brother "follow the book/procedure" by the other primarch's and not given a name.

Because as we all know, weird people no one really likes are never given any nicknames

Edit: Also...

I don't think he strikes me as one who would like or reciprocate one.

Well, there are statues of four other primarchs next to Guilliman's in the Ultramarines' Hall of Honour on Macragge. And Guilliman went into the Iron Cage to save Dorn. And he was offering his accumulated articles on warfare that had brought his own Legion great success to other Primarchs.

Personal theory... he was considered the dull big brother "follow the book/procedure" by the other primarch's and not given a name.

Because as we all know, weird people no one really likes are never given any nicknames

Edit: Also...

I don't think he strikes me as one who would like or reciprocate one.

Well, there are statues of four other primarchs next to Guilliman's in the Ultramarines' Hall of Honour on Macragge. And Guilliman went into the Iron Cage to save Dorn. And he was offering his accumulated articles on warfare that had brought his own Legion great success to other Primarchs.

I'm not so sure about Dorn the G-man being such tight friends, from the BT codex "Dorn Called Guilliman a coward, for the Ultramarines had not participated in the defense of the Imperial Palace, while Guilliman accused Dorn of being a rebel for refusing the dictates within his Codex Astartes"

I'm not so sure about Dorn the G-man being such tight friends, from the BT codex "Dorn Called Guilliman a coward, for the Ultramarines had not participated in the defense of the Imperial Palace, while Guilliman accused Dorn of being a rebel for refusing the dictates within his Codex Astartes"

That was a heated moment, and Dorn was still shaken up because of the events. One of the four statues next to Guilliman's in the Ultramarines' Hall of Honour is of Dorn.

I'm sure that book gets mentioned in Fulgrim

Mortarian - The Mortician/The Patrician (?)

Seriously, someone considered giving Mortarion the nickname "The Mortician"? That makes him sound like some sort of cruddy WWE wrestler. However, I do seem to recall him being known as the Death Lord. Just please, not The Mortician...

Mortarian - The Mortician/The Patrician (?)

Seriously, someone considered giving Mortarion the nickname "The Mortician"? That makes him sound like some sort of cruddy WWE wrestler. However, I do seem to recall him being known as the Death Lord. Just please, not The Mortician...

Any of the names with (?) next to them were suggested by members from another forum. I am not particularly happy with them either, which is why they have been brought to the experts here ;)

Paradill

It is implied quite strongly that the Primarchs are known by the imperial populace by various 'nicknames'. I'm starting a project and would like to compile a list of these nicknames, here is what I have so far, if you have any of the missing ones or different than the ones I have written down, let me know. As pertaining to Horus, I want a title from before he became warmaster.

Fulgrim - The Pheonician

Perturabo -

Sanguinius - The Angel

Angron - The Gladiator (?)

Magnus the Red - The cyclops

Horus Lupercal -

Lorgar Aurelian - The Urizen

Vulkan -

Corax - The Raven

Alpharius - The Last

Thanks in advance guys.

Paradill

Lupercal and Aurelian were actually Horus and Lorgar's nicknames. They originated with their Legions as pet names, but became used by the wider Imperium.

Fulgrim - The Pheonician

Perturabo -

Sanguinius - The Angel

Angron - The Gladiator (?)

Magnus the Red - The cyclops

Horus Lupercal -

Lorgar Aurelian - The Urizen

Vulkan -

Corax - The Raven

Alpharius - The Last

Thanks in advance guys.

Paradill

Lupercal and Aurelian were actually Horus and Lorgar's nicknames. They originated with their Legions as pet names, but became used by the wider Imperium.

Thank you very much, will amend the OP.

Paradill

Among the nicknames/epithets/titles for Dorn I've read are "the Man of Stone", "the Emperor's Champion", "the Imperial Fist" (the last one, is Dorn referring to himself, though.)

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know the citizens of the Imperium, not having any contact with the primarchs went on hearsay and early draft remembrancer stuff and as such knew the primarchs as follows;

Lion El'Jonson - The Jerky One

Fulgrim - The Pretty One

Perturabo - The Sulky One

Jaghatai Khan - The Petrol-Head One

Leman Russ - The Hairy One

Rogal Dorn - The Builder One

Konrad Kurze - The Scary One

Sanguinius - The Other Pretty One

Ferrus Mannus - The Handsy One

Angron - The Dangerous One

Roboute Guilliman - The Dry One

Mortarian - The Skinny One

Magnus the Red - The Bookish One

Horus - The Important One

Lorgar - The Preachy One

Vulkan - The Pyro One

Corax - The Sneaky One

Alpharius - The Sneakier One

Sorry :) Very bored in work and boss isn't around. Idle hands and all that!

I know corax is referred to as 'The Albino' a couple of times. And I know it might not count, but what about Horus being named warmaster? I know it's more rank than necessarily nick name, but it kinda fits with the discussion if you let Dorn carry something like Emperor's Champion at one point

And isn't Vulkan the Forge Father or something like that?

Archived