Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Whirlwinds

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

Hfran Morkai

Hfran Morkai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,196 posts
So I'm looking through my codex for cool things to throw into my Heresy era based army and was wondering if there were references for when they came into existence?

Cheers.
QUOTE (A D-B @ Jan 10 2011, 12:45 PM)
THE CUSTODIANS AREN'T PSYCHIC OH MY GOD I HATE YOU MIKAL.

gallery_24878_5332_45982.jpg

Seahawk

Seahawk

++ OSSIFRAGUS PRAECURSORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 9,006 posts
All that is known is that it's an "ancient design" and "many different patterns have been passed down the millenia." They're at least quite a bit older than M.38, as that's when the Red Scorpions first created the Land Raider Helios, which mounts the Whirlwind rocket launcher.

Tactica: Legion of the Damned; thoughts, tactics, and strategies for the intrepid explorer of rarely-seen units.  

Fluff: Naval Operations of Ultramar. Also includes all known named ships for all chapters, as well as ship sizes and assorted information.

Personal: The Renegade Hobbyist. This is where I do things! Also, follow me on Twitter at @Atomic_Hamsters.  

"I miss using Sly Marbo. I like to think he is still somewhere in the codex, but no one can find the page."

KnightCommander_Almaric

KnightCommander_Almaric

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 130 posts
The Raven Flight Audio Book has mention of Whirlwinds being deployed by Horus's Forces on Istavaan V against the RG.

so HH era tech.
QUOTE (TechMarine Alexander @ Feb 16 2012, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
+-+ Crusade purpose Clarification Transmission Incoming +-+

You know your a Black Templar when you will never allow a single drop of Human Blood go unavenged, when you know no amount of dead Xenos and heretics will give you peace in the Emperor's eyes.
You will never rest till your duty to him is done, till every enemy of man lies dead before the Banner of the Holy Crusade. When your zeal leads your sword from one foe's flesh to the next's. Till every one of humanity's tears is repaid tenfold in Alien Blood.
When the word Templar is Carved into every alien, Heretic and Mutants mind forever...

That is what it is to be a Black Templar.

+-+ Transmission Ended +-+

Hemal

Hemal

++ NAVITA VITRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,375 posts
Aye - there is artwork in old Epic era stuff that shows Whirlwinds during the heresy
Quote Bro Nihm:

Super fast super slick, in my regal blue spandex suit I fly - onwards towards my destiny, through the night sky!

Tomlev40

Tomlev40

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 108 posts
Lexicanum says that it was discovered after the Heresy, so Chaos doesn't have it.
"Let yourself not immerse your soul in the cold embrace of death, for it is a thousand times worse than the suffering of life"

QUOTE (Ubermensch Commander @ Feb 2 2011, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Someone get this man a Dreadnought!

Seahawk

Seahawk

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 9,006 posts
Lexicanum is a terrible and frequently incorrect source. Don't trust it :).

Chaos doesn't have it because they lost the missiles, the tanks, and decided they needed to be different from loyalists; this was a key way to do it! ;)

Tactica: Legion of the Damned; thoughts, tactics, and strategies for the intrepid explorer of rarely-seen units.  

Fluff: Naval Operations of Ultramar. Also includes all known named ships for all chapters, as well as ship sizes and assorted information.

Personal: The Renegade Hobbyist. This is where I do things! Also, follow me on Twitter at @Atomic_Hamsters.  

"I miss using Sly Marbo. I like to think he is still somewhere in the codex, but no one can find the page."

A D-B

A D-B

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,323 posts

Lexicanum is a terrible and frequently incorrect source. Don't trust it :P.

Chaos doesn't have it because they lost the missiles, the tanks, and decided they needed to be different from loyalists; this was a key way to do it! ^_^

"Dude, Horus just croaked. What now?"

Abaddon re-tied his topknot. He totally had an idea. "I totally have an idea," he said. The Traitor Legions looked on expectantly. "Here's what we do. We run away."

Many helmed heads nodded. This seemed a wise course of action.

"Good idea," said Erebus.

'Hush." Abaddon frowned at the interruption. "But I think we should leave behind our jetbikes, Dreadclaws, Whirlwinds, Landspeeders - pretty much all anti-grav technology, really - as well as our bikes, attack bikes, and pretty much anything else we've used so far."

Fewer helms nodded this time. "Dude," said Lucius the Eternal, "we might need all that stuff. Some of that stuff is rad."

"Nah, I've made up my mind. Let's just go."

"But..."

"Let's. Just. Go." Abaddon waved the Talon of Horus. Its scythe-blade fingers made clickety-click sounds.

"Okay, let's just go," agreed Lucius.

Khârn wasn't so easily placated. "What about Cyclone Launchers? Because I saw those in Horus Heresy: Collected Visions, so we must be using th--"

"I feel like I'm talking to myself, here." Abaddon pointed a claw at the World Eater. It poked Khârn in the eye.

"Ow, Jesus, man. Okay, okay. We'll go."

"Yeah, that's what I thought."

Abaddon pimp-walked from the room, strutting like he owned the place.

"Hey, what about this conversion beamer?" asked Typhus. "Couldn't we use these in Rogue Trader? These are awesome. They go, like, FWOOOOOSH."

"Leave it!" Abaddon's voice called from the other room. Typhus put it down, grumbling.

Fabius Bile sort of shrugged. "So, uh, can I come with you guys? Because I was checking the passenger lists, and none of the Legions are taking their Apothecaries. I mean... don't you need us?"

Lucius patted his brother on the shoulder. "It's okay, man. We'll allude to the Apothecaries in the background text. I mean, you won't get to ever do anything, but you'll sort of be there in the fluff, y'know? A bit? Maybe?"

"Balls to this. I'm leaving the Legion. I'll make my own rules."

Khârn snorted. "Your rules will be lame for competitive play. Just watch. And people will call you Fabulous Bill."

The Traitors walked from the chamber, out to the landing pad. It was deserted.

"Uh, Abbs?"

Abaddon turned to Ahriman. "S'up?"

"Um." The Thousand Son gestured to the empty landing pad. "Where are all our gunships?"

Abaddon ignored him. "Weren't you red a minute ago?"

"We're blue now. It's... it's this whole... thing. Look, seriously, where are our Thunderhawks?"

"Oh, right. Them." Abaddon toyed with his topknot, swishing it back and forth, like a kitten with a fluffy toy. "We won't need those. We can run everywhere and stuff. Or push Rhinos out of hangers and ride them through the atmosphere. It'll be cool."

The Traitors shared a glance. This wasn't going well. Abaddon noticed their hesitation, and sought to calm them. "Relaaaaax. I'll invent new stuff. Like... spider robots with daemons in, and they have claws and stuff. They'll defile things. Maybe they can be called Defilotrons. It'll be sweet. And they'll have a gun on their chests, and tiny little heads. What? Why are you looking at me like that? You just wait. We'll rock this place all to hell."
Note: Everything I say is my own personal opinion as hobbyist, a novelist, and the world's slowest painter. It's not intended to reflect back on Games Workshop in any professional context.

Blog - Facebook - Twitter

pingo

pingo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,664 posts
Thanks to A D-B for the preview of his forthcoming HH book; 'Dude, where's my Whirlwind?'.

Chapter Master Ignis Domus

Chapter Master Ignis Domus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,766 posts
I'd say that sums it up pretty well. <_<
gallery_21629_1792_12867.gif

gallery_26_4045_1095.gif

Chapter Master Domus's Great Company- Pics and fluff for every model

QUOTE (shortysl @ Jul 2 2012, 03:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It makes sense to me that if the Tactical Marine intercepts the bullet with his face then the Captain really shouldn't lose his Iron Halo. Not unless Captain and Battle Brother were hugging at the time, in which case it's: bullet shorts out shield and then kills Marine. Captain looks on shocked as Marine slides down his body, then sinks to his knees shouting "nooooooooooo" with his hands in the air.

On vacation.

Seahawk

Seahawk

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 9,006 posts
:D awesome!

Hfran Morkai

Hfran Morkai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,196 posts
A-D-B, I know you hate me (as proudly worn in my signature :P) but I love you so much. XD

I think this might even top your Black Library stuff haha
QUOTE (A D-B @ Jan 10 2011, 12:45 PM)
THE CUSTODIANS AREN'T PSYCHIC OH MY GOD I HATE YOU MIKAL.

gallery_24878_5332_45982.jpg

Ethrion

Ethrion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,845 posts
A D-B that was awesome! Made my morning :lol:

Drichar Deis

Drichar Deis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 70 posts
@A-D-B, a chuckle and a grin at 06:15 after being on the night shift, well done, love to hear an audio drama of this kind of mockerey lol!

Jaton666

Jaton666

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 61 posts
Brilliant!
'' Let us go to table. Descriptions are all very well, but you cannot eat words.'' - Logan Grimnar

"It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous" - Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra

My Blog

Zincite

Zincite

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,958 posts
That really made me laugh, thanks! (And I always wondered why chaos didn't have apothecaries)

EDIT: Sorry, I just had to sig at least some of that.

Edited by Zincite, 23 March 2011 - 06:24 PM.

Thought for the day: Better crippled in body than corrupt in mind.

Commissar Joe

Commissar Joe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 42 posts

Thanks to A D-B for the preview of his forthcoming HH book; 'Dude, where's my Whirlwind?'.

Hahahahaha

Anvil_of_War

Anvil_of_War

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 49 posts
The Horus Heresy books, giving Chaos players more and more reason too just use Codex: Space Marines. :huh:
"Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"

Yogi

Yogi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,983 posts
That post is epic adb. Good stuff.

Vodunius

Vodunius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 3,948 posts

Aye - there is artwork in old Epic era stuff that shows Whirlwinds during the heresy

Not just artwork, they appeared in both the fluff and half the scenarios in the SM1e rulebook (the game came with Rhinos but you were supposed to pretend they were Whirlwinds when necessary).

The Whirlwind's creation has never actually been dated (unlike the Vindicator which has had different dates on numerous occassions) although the current codex does kind of sound like its post heresy but doesn't actually say it.
i hate to break it to you chaps, but according to the English Language a Chevron is a V shape, if your 'Chevrons' are not V shaped then they are just hazard stripes NOT Chevrons

Horus killed Sanguinius so hard that his entire chapter feels it forever..

Brunensteiner

Brunensteiner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 207 posts
Fabulous Bill tee hee hee :P

Whitefireinferno

Whitefireinferno

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,520 posts
Hey A-D-B would you not get in trouble for this since it is better than the works produced by a couple of your peers? Namely Swallow and Goto you you might as well pitch this to your employers :P
They still fear me. Even outnumbered and armed only with a shattered axe, they still fear me. I can smell it in their sweat, hear it in their voices, and see it it their wide eyes that reflect the flames.--Part of the Best story from Black Library

My Flesh Tearer BAPC BLOG BA forum
My Flesh Tearer BLOG/other in WIP board

Azza007

Azza007

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 202 posts
I would buy it.
QUOTE (Schertenleib @ May 18 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Does this armor make my axe look big?"

Legio Draconis

Legio Draconis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 439 posts
:lol: I would so read a 40k comedy short by Mr ADB. It reminds me of the RT era humour.

Plus this....

Made me laugh so much.
QUOTE (Doghouse @ May 25 2008, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You've no idea how close I came to painting the toilet gold and calling it the "golden throne" but thought that might be going too far! :lol:

QUOTE (Rafen_2 @ Jul 1 2011, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I was put in a dreadnought, I would like to have full maneuverability not just waddle waddle shoot waddle punch.

Cerelius

Cerelius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 105 posts
that was so funny ADB, i choke on my whiskey, then the wife pissed her self laughing at me, Dude you rock

CainTheHunter

CainTheHunter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,682 posts
ADB - can we consider this to be canon now? ;)
Fus Roh Da!!!
http://www.bolterand...24_3229_326.gif

"I'll tell you this, there are only two forces in the Imperium: Space Wolves and Support." © Jonny Wolf
"By comparison, we get cavalry which everyone is rightly scared of (everyone else, because of what they can do, us because of the £ cost)" © eldaran
"No Chaos listed because Chaos is lame and just puts spikes on Imperial stuff, and therefore doesn't really need its own release." © The Emperor's Champion
Space Wolves theme song