Oh no! Another newbie!

Hi folks! Another newbie here, both to the forums... and I guess compared to most of you folk I'm a 40k newbie as well. I've loitered around in some of the peripheral stuff (Dawn of War and Dark Heresy are what originally snagged me in), but I'm finally getting around to the actual tabletop game itself.

Well, kind of. I bought a Chaos Space Marine battleforce a few months back, but for the life of me I can't pick a chapter to paint. Decisions = hard.

Really loving the look of this place, and I hope in the near future I'll be able to decide on a color scheme so that I can abuse the lovely resources and tutorials available.

So, uh, yeah. Hi!

Thats it..... youve only been playing a couple of months? And you dont have a chapter? You think chaos space marines come in chapters?

Sorry, this is toooo much. Your banned. Permanently. Starting.... now.

:woot:.

Welcome to the B+C, honestly I hope you enjoy your time with us. My advice on the chaos legions is to read up on the older fluff- see if anyone will let you borrow an old codex for the afternoon, and see what draws you in. Narrow it down to a couple choices, and then place a dice in the cup- roll the die, assigning a set of numbers to your choice.

Then, before you lift the cup and reveal it listen to the voice inside that says "oh gosh, I hope its legion_____" or "I hope its not ____". Thatll be a very honest opinion.

You can also browse through the chaos forums- Its got alot of good resources. Some people there can be a little dour at times, as there was a very large transition for chaos near the end of 4rth edition but dont let that get you down. They know about alot of old fluff, and they can give you tips on your army.

Always partial to nugle myself, but never really got into chaos.

Hrmm... oh yes, as a moderati I do have one official message: read over the rules briefly. It helps avoid misunderstandings. Were fairly forgiving, but it just helps out on both sides.

Rules.

And have a good one.

Hi mate. Welcome to Bolter and chainsword and indeed, the 41st millenium!

With Grey knights just being released, its nice to see another chaos player enter the fold.

As for picking a legion- its a choice i agonised over for a while. Essentially it boils down to nothing more complicated than go for whatever one feels right to you. I started with Death guard when i first ventured into the hobby, that choice was based on nothing more than the fact they looked like zombies (of course i have much more refined tastes no.)

Thematically, chaos is a sandpit of awesome. Are there any play styles you prefer? Do you want to shoot the enemy into fragments or are you the sort of person who would rather do your dealings at the end of a chain axe?

The fluff or background of a legion is one of the stronger selling points. I find it's always more rewarding to pick a legion that you connect with on some level. That way, it makes all the little moments that happen in games, just that much more awesome.

Have you got the chaos codex yet? Are there any legions that have caught your eye thus far? If you want to ask any questions about the history of them then please feel free, myself or some of the other users will be more than happy to help.

And of course- Being evil is far more fun, roll with it :)

Welcome

...Oh, I did put chapters didn't I? Whoops. Told ya I was a newbie.

But thank you both for the welcome!

As for your questions, Kraine, I'm not sure on playing style. I've not actually gotten a chance to sit down and play for myself. I've watched a few friends play a little bit, but I'm guessing if I played I'd be more of the smashing peoples' faces in with a chain axe variety.

I have tried to look at the fluff (as that is indeed a bit selling point). Problem is, of the legions I'm looking at, only the Alpha Legion, Iron Warriors and Word Bearers have any substantial fluff to them. Beyond the little blurbs in the Chaos codex, there's not info much for The Reborn, Angels of Ecstasy, Lords of Decay, or The Cleaved... at least as far as I've been able to uncover.

To be honest, thats because they were just warbands that GW made up on the fly, where as the legions you mentioned are bona fide first founding players.

The legions of note are:

Thousand sons, Emperor's children, Word bearers, Death Guard, Night lords, World eaters, Black legion and alpha legion.

The red corsairs have gotten some love lately. Theyre a relatively new element.

Any of the big boys take your fancy?

Of that list, Alpha Legion and Word Bearers catch my eye. I thought Iron Warriors were big too? They got themselves a primarch and everything.

Oli, Thousand Sons do look awesome, but their big goofy headpieces worry me. Do they all have those? I must admit I can be ever so persnickety on the details...

Yeah, Iron Warriors are one of the Big 9 chaos legions.

And yeah, all the official models for thousand sons have those- of course, you can use whatever models you like for your rubrics if they take your fancy, as long as theyre rather obviously thousand sons. The egyptian symbols on them are a throwback to when they were a loyalist legion, and if you like that kind of iconography itd be a good way to go even on a regular marines helmet.

That being said, the warbands with blurbs can be fun- you can make your own backstories for them, and thats always a good time.

Allow me to Welcome you, as a new Chaos player, in the Manner of the Dark Angels... <lights the tip of his flamer> Hold still for a Momoent would you? Joking Aside you could always play a Loyalist Chapter that has Gone Renegade. Gives you near infintite lee way for color/character/model usage. 1k Sons and Deathgaurd are always fun opponents and offer a good range of painting choices, if you get creative. Regardless welcome to B&C. Now Seriously hold still promise this wont hurt for long.

-runs!-

I must admit, the option of writing potentially goofy backgrounds does appeal to me. I do so ever like to write.

Again, thank all you folks for the greetings and another thanks for helping giving me pointers and ideas. I really do appreciate it. :(

Congratulations on stepping into the foray of 40K (almost rhymes and always makes me cringe).

It is indeed nice to see someone enter this hobby with a viewpoint other than to completely smash their friends, sounds like you have a love of literacy and the backuground fluff which is nice to see. One thing you should know however is that things are set in stone only as much as you want them to be.

What I mean by this is that just because there is a bunch of stuff written out there, it is your hobby so make up or change as much as you like. Want a rogue band of Space Wolves to be your Chaos band thats cool. Dont want to use the standard Chaos Legion models but would prefer to use the Blood Angel models because they are more dynamic, go for it.

There is a freedom in this hobby which few people realise when they start it. As long as your friends and opponents know what you are doing (ie you are not taking a Predator tank and calling it your Land Raider) then you are pretty much free to do whatever you like. I remember speaking to a new player who confessed to me that when they started their Blood Angel army (a few years ago) he was finding it hard to find any models because all the marine box sets had Blue painted marines on the front of them. I checked my usual mocking tone and explained to him that the painted models were just an example of how they looked, he was free to paint them however he wanted to.

If I were ever to do a band of Chaos then I would either do Sons of Malice Click me or the Night Lords.

Of that list, Alpha Legion and Word Bearers catch my eye. I thought Iron Warriors were big too? They got themselves a primarch and everything.

Oli, Thousand Sons do look awesome, but their big goofy headpieces worry me. Do they all have those? I must admit I can be ever so persnickety on the details...

Sorry, i knew id forget one when i wrote the bloody list :)

The official Thousand sons models fo have the headpieces yes. However, no one is holding you to those models. Tomb kings are being released soon for warhammer fantasy. They will have a lot of plastic kits that could add an egyptian flavour to a thousand sons army.

Word Bearers are my chaos legion of choice. I was drawn to them because they are perhaps the most outwardly moustache twirling evil of the chaos legions. Sure the others are pretty bad but these were the guys that corrupted Horus.

Alpha legion are insanely cool. If you want an army that takes the rulebook, shreds it and turns it into a smoothie to chuck in the faces of their enemies. A brilliant legion of spies and deceivers. I suggest picking up "Legion" the Horus Heresy novel by Dan Abnett. It really does tell you all you need to know to get a feel for the army.

I think one of the fluffiest Alpha Legion lists I have heard of is that someone modelled all of his Aspiring Champions to look like his Chaos Lord. He then didnt tell his opponent which one was his Lord.

Ok so I suspect he would have told him if the opponent had asked but still pretty cool. I cant remember where I read that, probably these pages, however it was a very cool fluffy way of aiding the representation of the secret brotherhood of the Alpha Legion.

I think one of the fluffiest Alpha Legion lists I have heard of is that someone modelled all of his Aspiring Champions to look like his Chaos Lord. He then didnt tell his opponent which one was his Lord.

:) :) ^_^

That's bloody brilliant!

Hah! I love it!

Well I think you guys have pretty much sealed Alpha Legion in as my established force of choice. I do really like how The Reborn look, though, so I guess I'll have a test model for both factions and see which ones I like better. Again, thanks so much for all the info and advice! You've all been phenomenal!

And I'll definitely have to pop down to the bookstore to see if I can grab a copy of Legion.

Archived