Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grey Knights - 1500 Point Army List

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

Dark Legionnare

Dark Legionnare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 200 posts
My current list and actually-built army as it is now, having fun with it. It can be crippled if the Stormraven is lost, but I always start it behind cover, or completely obscured behind a bastion, tower, etc... so it's never knocked out first turn. At least, it has only been shot down first turn 1 out of 18 games. As long as it can dump out the Paladins and Janus near enemy lines the army does nicely, synergies well, and isn't "overpowered" or "cheesy." I considered the previous one (located below this list but in this post) a stable army, and it did indeed do very, VERY well. Problem is that it didn't feel right to me, it wasn't what I wanted my Knights to do and I felt bad peeling open all my friends transports EVERY TIME a dreadnought would target one.

I was cautious about putting so many points into Janus. But with the addition of the Empyrean brain mines with some points I moved around from previous experiments with this list Janus' survival rate jumped by leaps and bounds.

++++++++HQ++++++++

Brother Librarian Taylon
Librarian w/Empyrean Brain Mines

Psychic Powers: Hammerhand ,The Shrouding, Might of Titan, Warp Rift.
Total Points: 175

++++++++ELITES++++++++

Purifier Squads Primoris
Purifier with Psycannon (2)
Purifier (2)
Knight of The Flame with Daemon Hammer
Total Points: 145

Purifier Squads Secundus
Purifier (2)

Paladin Squad
Paladin w/Brotherhood Banner
Paladin w/Psycannon & Force Halberd
Paladin w/Daemon Hammer
Paladin w/Nemesis Force Halberd (2)
Total Points: 315

++++++++Troops++++++++

Grey Knight Strike Squad Primoris
Grey Knight with Psycannon(2)
Grey Knight (7)
Justicar with Daemon Hammer
Wargear:
All: Psybolt Ammunition
Total Points: 250

Grey Knight Strike Squad Secundus
Grey Knight (7)
Wargear:

++++++++Fast Attack++++++++

Stormraven Gunship Invictus
Dreadnought

Wargear: Twin-linked Assault Cannon, Twin-linked Multi-Melta, Smoke Launchers, Extra Armor.
Total Points: 220
____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Total point size: 1500

Below This Is The OLD LIST
++++++++HQ++++++++

Brother Librarian Janus
Librarian

Psychic Powers: Hammerhand ,The Shrouding, Sanctuary.
Total Points: 160

++++++++ELITES++++++++

Purifier Squads Primoris
Purifier (2)

Purifier Squads Secundus
Purifier (2)

Vindicare Assassin
Vindicare Assassin

++++++++Troops++++++++

Grey Knight Strike Squad Primoris
Grey Knight (7)
Wargear:

Grey Knight Strike Squad Secundus
Grey Knight (7)
Wargear:

++++++++Heavy Support++++++++

Dreadnought Primoris
Dreadnought

Wargear: Twin-linked Autocannon, Twin-linked Autocannon, Smoke Launchers, Psybolt Ammunition.
Total Points: 135

Dreadnought Secundus
Dreadnought

Wargear: Twin-linked Autocannon, Twin-linked Autocannon, Smoke Launchers, Psybolt Ammunition.

Dreadnought Tertius
Dreadnought

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ Total point size: 1500

My logic behind this list is to constantly move up on the enemy.(Moving smart obviously, not just running up the field. IE, I might stop to let of a bunch of Psycannon Heavy shots if I get close or melee troops are closing in.) The Dreads should make short work of any light or medium vehicles like Rhinos, Predators, or Speeders while still retaining enough Anti-armor to harass and disable bigger targets.(If none of those are left then they're always nice to shoot at troops and make some casualties.) The Dreads will also provide good LoS blocking for the Libby and Assassin if I don't throw them in the purifier squads. I'm going to do what I did with my Blood Angels and continue to expand upon this army until it's 2500 points. I've got a Stormraven that I'll use in bigger lists, or swap into the small list depending on Anti-armor present

Edited by Dark Legionnare, 13 October 2011 - 07:41 PM.

We shall do no dishonor to the Blood Father, the Imperium, or the Emperor. We fight, for they are all that is worth fighting for in the darkness of this eternity of war. ~Chaplain Augustus of The Angels Cruentus

BloodAngelSig.gif

8th Ed. Inexorable Demise Record: W|2 D|1 L|0

confused_gordy

confused_gordy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 191 posts
Dude, way to much information.

DON'T BREACH THE COPYRIGHT!!!!

Other than that, what weapons do your dreads have? blood talons aren't an option for one.
You have 16 troop power armoured bodies. (this may be a little low).

in general alright

Edited by confused_gordy, 09 April 2011 - 05:31 PM.

Dark Legionnare

Dark Legionnare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 200 posts
Woops! I used my army list template from my blood angels to make this one. Forgot to remove the Blood Talons rules carried over from my BA dread. XD

As for the information. I listed wargear and paraphrased rules, without giving individual wargear costs, so I'm no so sure about how much "violation" that is.

We shall do no dishonor to the Blood Father, the Imperium, or the Emperor. We fight, for they are all that is worth fighting for in the darkness of this eternity of war. ~Chaplain Augustus of The Angels Cruentus

BloodAngelSig.gif

Syphon Kai

Syphon Kai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7 posts
This is just one thing I noticed, but the cost for your Dreadnoughts is wrong. They should be 20 points less.

Not to mention you don't have Psybolt Ammunition on them, which you should.

Resv

Resv

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 314 posts
I would try to clean up your list presentation. Secondly, Blood Talons? Gray Knights don't get Blood Talons.

Besides the above I would start by adding in some sort of transport for your knights. To acomplish this I would start by trimming back your Dreadnoughts a little bit. At 150 points each that represents 3 razorbacks with Psybolt ammo which is something that your infantry squads could really use. Your GKSS might have to make due with being in Rhinos but there is nothing wrong with that. Your Dreadnoughts don't really need Lascannons and Autocannons, I would jsut go with standard Psy-Rifleman which are 15 points cheaper and put out a little more fire. Sure, you don't get the incredibly satisfying thump of a Lascannon against infantry but you do end up with a great fire support unit that will make short work of Light and Medium Armor.

Dark Legionnare

Dark Legionnare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 200 posts
Good lord! I'm not at home or near my Dex but I didn't know that Psybolt worked on autocannons! I had it in my head that it was "Bolter, Storm Bolter, Combi-bolter, etc..." Though even at S8 that would still mean I could only ever glance the Land Raiders or Monolith, leaving destruction up to my Vindicare, which isn't the strongest reliability for Anti-armor. I suppose I could "stun lock" the Land Raiders with perpetual shakens but that's ONLY if I roll a 6.

And yes, I know GK don't have Blood Talons. As I said, it was a mis-copy from my BA template I used to make the dread listing.

As for presentation. It's a LOT prettier in my actual army list. The formatting from the document doesn't carry over and I'm a tad too lazy to format ever single line. Also, I have tables in the real one! <_<

I need clarification while I'm away from my Dex; I'm not sure if I remember right. Psycannons fired in heavy mode have rending or no? If they do I totally overlooked them as AV14 counters...

Edited by Dark Legionnare, 09 April 2011 - 07:27 PM.

BloodAngelSig.gif

Syphon Kai

Syphon Kai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7 posts
Whether fired in Assualt or Heavy mode, Psycannons always have Rending.

S7 means that if you get a Rending shot in a raider it will get at least get a glance, and you have a 2/3 chance of penning it. Good stuff.

Dark Legionnare

Dark Legionnare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 200 posts
Aha! Thanks for the reassurance. Okay, updating original post to represent new cost per dreadnought with rifleman setup and psybolt ammo and then spreading around the extra 45 points to other squads.

BloodAngelSig.gif

Zagman

Zagman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 309 posts
The Vindicare is the most reliable anti vehicle weapon in the game surpassing even a Rail Gun. It averages a Penetrating shot at AP1 against AV14.

Though, according to the new wording it will likely not work on a Monolith, nor will it work upon a Wave Serpent.

Its Armor penetration roll is as follows = S3(From Sniper) + 4d6 + 1d3(for each 6 rolled). It averages slightly over a 17 for Armor Penetration.

Also, Psycannons are vastly more effective agaist AV14 when compared to a Lascannon. On the move ie Assault 2 a Psycannon has the same likelihood to destroy a LandRaider as a TLLC. When stationary it was twice the likelyhood, not to mention much greater availability in the list.

You are better off running pure PsyRifleDreads and saving yourself some points. With the Vindicare and the Psycannons you have more than enough AV firepower. Against the monolith, you are better off just killing necron till they phase out and Psycannons are plenty good at this.

Dark Legionnare

Dark Legionnare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 200 posts
I was mulling over my list a bit more this morning. As Psychic powers for the Librarian go I love, and am keeping, Sanctuary and The Shrouding. I'm not 100% sure about Might of Titan. Anyone else have any suggestions or experience to say why I should get another power instead?

I figure with that setup he'll be able to set up great defense in the enemy's turn with Sanctuary and The Shrouding while being able to give might of Titan to two squads each of my turns. This would make their shots do one more D6 armor penetration, right? I think this would be great to have those purifier Psycannons chew up armor better and if troops are closing in I can make my Strike Squads dish out a heck of a lot more damage in melee with the +1 Strength.

Edited by Dark Legionnare, 10 April 2011 - 04:31 PM.

BloodAngelSig.gif

Zagman

Zagman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 309 posts

I was mulling over my list a bit more this morning. As Psychic powers for the Librarian go I love, and am keeping, Sanctuary and The Shrouding. I'm not 100% sure about Might of Titan. Anyone else have any suggestions or experience to say why I should get another power instead?

I figure with that setup he'll be able to set up great defense in the enemy's turn with Sanctuary and The Shrouding while being able to give might of Titan to two squads each of my turns. This would make their shots do one more D6 armor penetration, right? I think this would be great to have those purifier Psycannons chew up armor better and if troops are closing in I can make my Strike Squads dish out a heck of a lot more damage in melee with the +1 Strength.

You cannot use MoT twice in a turn. And the Strength in crease and D6 armor penetration are for close combat attacks only. It will NOT affect psycannons.

Dark Legionnare

Dark Legionnare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 200 posts

You cannot use MoT twice in a turn. And the Strength in crease and D6 armor penetration are for close combat attacks only. It will NOT affect psycannons.

Aha! I overlooked the "start of assault phase" so it wouldn't effect Psycannons. I'm going off of memory in that earlier post; now that I have the codex on hand I can double check it. Thanks for catching that.

The Librarian is a level 2 Psyker so can use 2 powers a turn. I was going more for if he failed the first time he can make a second attempt, not two seperate squads getting the bonus though I see I wrote "two seperate squads" so, "Woops" on my part. I've had Mephiston used against me, Tigurius, and Epistolery Psykers that have used powers more than once if they failed. Seeing as how I don't intend to "get stuck in with the boys" as often as possible I think I'm going to drop MoT for something else.

I'm thinking Warp Rift as an "Oh crap I'm under attack." button. Auto penetrating hit on a vehicle, "Initiative test or death" on non vehicle models so it's like a wider, but shorter, JotWW that I can use against stuff that comes to pressure my Libby. Maybe The Summoning if I'm feeling adventurous, thought my deep strike scatter luck isn't the best.

Edited by Dark Legionnare, 10 April 2011 - 08:40 PM.

BloodAngelSig.gif

Zagman

Zagman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 309 posts

Aha! I overlooked the "start of assault phase" so it wouldn't effect Psycannons. I'm going off of memory in that earlier post; now that I have the codex on hand I can double check it. Thanks for catching that.

The Librarian is a level 2 Psyker so can use 2 powers a turn. I was going more for if he failed the first time he can make a second attempt, not two seperate squads getting the bonus though I see I wrote "two seperate squads" so, "Woops" on my part. I've had Mephiston used against me, Tigurius, and Epistolery Psykers that have used powers more than once if they failed. Seeing as how I don't intend to "get stuck in with the boys" as often as possible I think I'm going to drop MoT for something else.

I'm thinking Warp Rift as an "Oh crap I'm under attack." button. Auto penetrating hit on a vehicle, "Initiative test or death" on non vehicle models so it's like a wider, but shorter, JotWW that I can use against stuff that comes to pressure my Libby. Maybe The Summoning if I'm feeling adventurous, thought my deep strike scatter luck isn't the best.

Warp rift is useful, though it is not as powerful as JoWW as it cannot snipe a character or model out of a unit.

And to mo my knowledge, the only psyker who can cast the same power multiple times in the same turn is Eldrad due to his special rules.

Dark Legionnare

Dark Legionnare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 200 posts

Warp rift is useful, though it is not as powerful as JoWW as it cannot snipe a character or model out of a unit.
And to mo my knowledge, the only psyker who can cast the same power multiple times in the same turn is Eldrad due to his special rules.

I'm not so sure. It doesn't say anything against using the same power anywhere in the Grey Knights or 5th Edition rulebooks. I've also had Mephiston ruled against me before and taking 3 tests to get his Sanguine sword off in melee when I cancelled the first 2 tries out.

BloodAngelSig.gif