Knight Titan WIP - A DK conversion

Adir

I was going for the look of a knight titan but got stuck at how to do the arms. I am planning on running just two doom fists and was thinking I wanted then to look like giant chainsword (similar to the epic knight titans).

Here is a very WIP photo (no cleanup done, assembly not finished, arms not attached). Any thoughts as to how to do the "chainsword" style arms?

gallery_26137_3833_16782.jpg

Was it part of the plan that the arms seem reversed?

Good catch. The arms are indeed reversed on purpose. I was messing around with blue tac and wanted to see what they would look like on the opposing side. On the left arm I also mount the additional forearm armor on the opposite side of the forearm to fully enclose the fist. Again, blue tac only as I am trying to decide how to fit the arms with weapons.

The head is just a sentinel cockpit with some additional armoring. I was going for a kind of lumbering imperium tech look which I associate with titans. The effort was actually to minimize the sleek rounded curves of the DK.

Ultimately, this model proved a greater challenge to convert than I anticipated. The sentinel cockpit mounted well but everything else involved at lot of cutting. As mentioned in another DK posting, the appearance of ball and socket joints are deceiving as there is very little actual pose-ability afforded in the kit. Overall, I am disappointed in the execution of this model. There could have or should have been a lot more ability to reposition the model but the construction is almost entirely static.

Were I to attempt another DK conversion, I would (ironically) start with the defiler kit, pulling in the sentinel cockpit and imperium bits as needs suited.

So any suggestions on chainsword arms?

I think I am going to put a spacer under the torso to help raise the head a little higher and narrow the waist so he looks a little more like this guy:

gallery_26137_4665_14981.jpg

If I could find a smaller option for the head then I would likely pop off the sentinel cockpit. Any ideas in that direction? This thing is still meant to be man piloted so I can't made the head too much smaller.

Also, funny that it has an orky feel considering its all imperium parts. I guess its the hunched over look that the head and torso give.

Ideally I would like to get closer to this guy in overall look and feel:

gallery_26137_4665_14748.jpg

ya it needs the spacer and just something about the head seems off to me...maybe if it were a tad bit smaller perhaps. your are definitely on the right track for sure. cant wait to see what ya come up with.

Here is round two of the DK Titan:

gallery_26137_4665_114184.jpg

Torso has been lifted about 1/2" and I have roughed out the chainsword arms.

I am somewhat stuck on the head. It actually looks slightly smaller in person but I wouldn't mind an alternative that gets me closer to the knight titans shown previously. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would actually like to build another one and if I can get the head thing worked out I can avoid buying another sentinel just for the cockpit.

Looks awesome, but I'd suggest losing the hinges and pistons behind the shoulder, and using them instead to add more mechanical detail to the arm itself. In my opinion, as they are now, the model's profile doesn't look quite as good as it did in the first post.

I agree with the Ram, remove the hinges and pistons, in the samples of the titans you are trying to achieve they are void of those features. To help make the cockpit not stick out so much would be to raise it so that the top of the cockpit so it is slightly above the shoulder line of the overall model. This way you could make angular cuts along the bottom portion of the cockpit and resess it more into the body. This might make it look less like a 'pouch' attached to the front and more of an interigal part of the knight.

Sort of like this:

[http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k617/sporudy/med_gallery_26137_4665_114184.jpg

Looks awesome, but I'd suggest losing the hinges and pistons behind the shoulder, and using them instead to add more mechanical detail to the arm itself. In my opinion, as they are now, the model's profile doesn't look quite as good as it did in the first post.

Good thoughts on the hydraulics guys. I was on the fence as to whether to attach them (they are just snap fit right now). But I think you are right, it does change the profile enough from the titan look so as to be distracting. I think I will pop the hydraulics and try to form some plasticard shoulder pads.

gallery_26137_4665_120355.jpg

Per suggestions, I removed the hydraulics and added plating to the shoulders. I also bulked out the chainsword arms a bit.

I can't decide whether to armor the lower legs or not. I actually like that they look spindly right now as it emphasizes the bulk of the torso. Any opinions for or against?

To be honest I'm not a fan of the conversion. It looks like a pimped Sentinel with those naked legs bearing great similarity to the Sentinel's legs, and that whole Sentinel cockpit there doesn't help at all. The chainsword is also a little weird-looking; it is awfully large and awkward, and lacks detail. You have to keep in mind that the reason why the old Knight look works is because the Knight, overall, has a very simple design to it. However, because the Dreadknight is loaded with details, the minute you slap on something that is too simplistic in design it would look out of place.

To be honest I'm not a fan of the conversion. It looks like a pimped Sentinel with those naked legs bearing great similarity to the Sentinel's legs, and that whole Sentinel cockpit there doesn't help at all. The chainsword is also a little weird-looking; it is awfully large and awkward, and lacks detail. You have to keep in mind that the reason why the old Knight look works is because the Knight, overall, has a very simple design to it. However, because the Dreadknight is loaded with details, the minute you slap on something that is too simplistic in design it would look out of place.

Honesty is a good thing and honest C&C always appreciated :) Keep in mind everything is roughed out right now and hasn't gotten any of the bling yet (purity seals, parchments, etc.). What I am hearing is one vote for bulked up legs if only to keep the sentinel look to a minimum. Again, I am still looking for head replacements so ANY suggestions at this point would be welcome.

Thanks for the feedback!

I think putting an armored cowling on the legs would help distance it from the sentinel.

Id also like to point out that Knight Titans always had a ranged weapon- using one of the ones from the kit would probly work fine, as they were things like a giant flamer, MM, battle cannon, or mini-mega-bolter.

They also had a set of heavy bolters for self defense.

Hmm.....head. I'd probably scratch build one. Alternatively an idea is to use the Defiler face (the skull one), it bears some resemblance to the Knight Paladin's face and its decently big to look in-scale. However, it would mean your pilot would be.....missing.

Archived