Testor's Decal-Set

Searchy seems to want to give me acres of interesting but irrelevant to my question stuff, so I figured I'd best put this to the readership at large:

We know from the custom decal tutorials that Micro-set and Micro-sol are for decals, but I'm having a devil of a time finding them in my city. Instead, my Michael's carries something called Testor's Decal-Set. It's a one-stop product, applied before and after the decal. What I want to know is if it delivers the same quality results as Micro-set/Micro-sol.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure which tetors decal solution you're refering to but I have used both the old small square bottled set and the Model Master set and solvent along with the Microscale stuff and Wather's Solv-a-Set.

For the most part the old square bottle Testors will work if you're patient with it and the decal is not very thick and the surface isn't very complex, but it is primarily just a settting solution that reduces the air trapped under the decal and aids the adhesion once dry with just a touch of aid in conforming to a surface. Multiple aplications are almost always needed for any decal on a complex surface.

The Testors Model Master line has a two stage set and solvent process. You use the set to reduce trapped air and help afix the decal in place. Once the setting solution and decal are dry you apply the solvent over the decal to conform the decal to the surface. The solvent basicaly melts the decal onto the surface smoothing out the edges getting the decal to conform to complex curves and things such as panel lines and rivets. It also works better on thicker decals due to the solvent being stronger. Decal set is applied only once and you re-peat the solvet aplication to suit.

The Microscale stuff uses the same steps and is a bit better quality and the solvent is a bit stronger tan the testors.

The Wathers is both a set and strong solvent but is slow acting. You use a bit to set the decal in plce and begin to conform the decal to the surface. Onve the initial aplication is dry you re apply as needed to get thing the way you want them.

My person preference is the Walther's Sol-a-Set do to it's strength but some people find it to aggressive.

To locate any of these localy try craft stores. Like already mentioned Michael's carry some Testors, one near me even has the Model Master line. Hobbly Lobby carries the Microscale products. RC car/plane places should have something and I get my favorite from a Train Shop. Mail order you always have the go to place Micro Mark.

My desriptions were only the most basic so I do advise reading some of the How to's here and elswhere on line before finaly using which ever product you end up with.

Hope that helps some.

Archived