Campaign: Liber Astartes

Cpt_Reaper

If you're looking for more Chapters, I can contribute with either the Stonebound (Segmentum Pacificus) or the Red Lords (More or less on the border between Segmenta Obscurus and Ultima - could probably participate in either.)

I'll gladly volunteer the Doom Guard (fleet-based, Ultima Segmentum currently). I do have some reservations about this project though. I remember some projects about communal Chapters being discussed and failing (many of which I was involved with, I'm afraid to say), so I'm not sure how this will pan out, it being a similar idea and all. to what degree will each contributor, well, contribute?

EDIT: I should also wonder how this interacts, if at all, with our currently ongoing "Spring DIY Challenge".

Ill put my Knights Griffon in for Segmentum Tempestus. I have a few ideas for character/rules.

My IA (in my sig) is still WIP, but this I believe can help me get it perfect.

Some suggestions, and dovetailing off a previous suggestion...

Based on the number of interested individuals so far and the likelihood that there will be even more, I think that a single campaign would be a bit unrealistic. Someone previously suggested having multiple campaigns, and I think that is a very good concept (though I disagree with some of the subsequent elements of that suggestion). Another alternative might be to have a campaign in which all interested members have their Chapter provide a small detachment, with the different detachments varying in size. Or you could do some combination - have multiple campaigns, including one or more in which many members participate and others where one to three participate. Additionally, the Chaos Space Marine and Chaos Daemon players here might provide the opposition. Too many people participating in the same project will lead to problems, so breaking interested members down into related sub-projects will help. As with the Imperial Armour campaigns, different campaigns can be of different sizes, ranging from smaller actions similar to the Anphelion Incident up to the multi-Chapter events of the Badab War.

Also, while setting the campaigns in the "present" isn't a bad idea, I think that there's a rich history that you might consider looking into. There are a number of known events that are open enough to allow for the participation of DIY Chapters - the Fourth Quadrant Rebellion, the Wars of Apostasy and the Plague of Unbelief, the Abyssal Crusade, the Occlusiad, etc.

Also note that while the history you develop for the campaign(s) may include non-B&C armies, discussion on them herein will be extremely limited. Campaigns where you pit B&C armies versus B&C armies will be easiest to develop here, but we'll give you a (very little) bit of leeway for those campaigns that include non-B&C armies.

My Dragon Claws could participate in segmentum ultima. (they aren't ENTIRELY done yet but im almost done with the first draft.)

Alternatively, i have a chaos daemons army that could oppose any in obscuras.

ME

EDIT: heres a suggestion for the ultima segmentum: due to its size, the campaign could be labelled "operation: example", giving it a wide range of operation, since the objective is the interception of hive fleet splinters, this would give the campaign the scale it needs to include everyone.

Sanguinary Crusaders are ready for the purge. They are in the Segmentum Obscurus, but are also active in the Segmentum Ultima.

Also, the Star Savior renegades wish to "save humanity for the greater good" in the Ultima Segmentum.

The Sanguinary Phalanx has responded to requests for assistance along the northern edge of the Ultima Segmentum, but have two companies on extended tours throughout the rest of the Segmentum ready to render assistance.

My Lions of Radiance dont like to stray too far from the Segmentum Tempestus where they are based (they will if needed but still) but if there is trouble in that chunk of the galaxy they will be more than happy to bring it down. So if possible I'd also like to get my guys in on this, their IA is in my sig its not perfect but little by little im making it better.

My Ghost Dragons would be in. They are located in the Segmentum Ultima, close to the Eastern Fringe - looking at Azul's map their homeworld may be just south of Alsanta... As they are not fleet based the whole Chapter would not be able to participate but several Companies could hop in the Battle Barge or some Strike Cruisers and get in on the fun.

The Children of Eternity heed your call. For the Machine God!

(ultima Segmentum is home base, on eastern fringe border, constantly travelling)

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...showarticle=760

i concur, multiple campaigns based on sectors is good and gets everyone that wants to involved. also, trying ones best to employ the unique traits that make up each chapter would be cool too, or characters mentioned in the people's IA to play roles

Also, while setting the campaigns in the "present" isn't a bad idea, I think that there's a rich history that you might consider looking into. There are a number of known events that are open enough to allow for the participation of DIY Chapters - the Fourth Quadrant Rebellion, the Wars of Apostasy and the Plague of Unbelief, the Abyssal Crusade, the Occlusiad, etc.

Another example is The Macharian Heresy, it lasted 80 years and involved almost a hundred Space Marine Chapters. Its all going to depend on which DIY chapters want to get involved, if its mostly 26 founding chapters then its going to limit what events we could use. :huh:

Another example is The Macharian Heresy, it lasted 80 years and involved almost a hundred Space Marine Chapters. Its all going to depend on which DIY chapters want to get involved, if its mostly 26 founding chapters then its going to limit what events we could use. <_<

You miss the whole point of this. We aren't placing ourselves in a known campaign, we're making our own campaign.

He's probably responding to Brother Tyler's response that indicated that there is some leeway in existing campaigns to write-in DIY chapters as the list of those who participated is incomplete or vague in some cases. In others, we just have mentions of them with no details whatsoever. I would argue, however, that this is a dangerous area to tread upon as any actual GW-mentioned campaigns are fodder for their own canon. As such, if we want to tie in, I would argue that our campaign(s) be the evetual result of the ones that GW mentions, i.e. an example being Fourth Quadrant Rebellion leads to secession along the _________ Rift and pitts loyalist factions against each other with an intermingling of true traitors.

Another example is The Macharian Heresy, it lasted 80 years and involved almost a hundred Space Marine Chapters. Its all going to depend on which DIY chapters want to get involved, if its mostly 26 founding chapters then its going to limit what events we could use. :)

You miss the whole point of this. We aren't placing ourselves in a known campaign, we're making our own campaign.

I understand we trying to create our own campaign :) I was responding to Brother Tyler's response, that there is some leeway in existing campaigns. But he also said a single campaign would be a bit unrealistic yet the The Macharian Heresy is a good example of how big and long some campaigns can be. ;) Also if we go back to far in time we could end up excluding many of the later founding DIY chapters, so we need to be careful when we set this as well as where. But I don’t see why the events in our campaign can’t be loosely linked to an existing one. Troops being drawn into say Abaddon's Thirteenth Crusade, might weaken another sector resulting in invasion by Orks for example. Our campaign could be against the Orks but with the Thirteenth Crusade as a backdrop.

I've decided to join the fun as well with my current Chapter: the Knights Valiant.

Relevant/important info:

- They have a homeworld (Mengelwyr) in a relatively calm area of space; so most of the Chapter can joyride travel around the Imperium helping wherever. :(

- Said homeworld's location has not been decided yet.

- They are a relatively old Chapter (3rd-10th Founding - again not decided yet)

As for the setting, it seems to me that it should be in the Ultima Segmentum as that's where most people's Chapters seem to be based. However, many of the best fluff opportunities like the Macharian Heresy do not suit this.

i.e. an example being Fourth Quadrant Rebellion leads to secession along the _________ Rift and pitts loyalist factions against each other with an intermingling of true traitors.

This sounds like an excellent setting to me.

I suppose i should ask what the final objective of this project is, i mean is it simply an an indepth fluff writing session, the creation of an article set to chronicle our chatpters deeds, a playable campaign or a mixture of everything?

As for settings, the badab war has always sparked my interest even before it became a very popular peroid and would be a good "loose" template for a DIY campaign although i wouldn't like this project to be set in an established peroid. Building a campaign/s from the ground up would be the most rewarding IMO.

Ok, another question that I believe has been addressed, but I am not entirely sure... So the campaign itself can have enemies other than Chaos Marines correct? Like Orks or a mixed army of Chaos/Demons/Traitor IG? What about the differant Xenos?

The campaign can have whatever adversaries you want, but the amount of discussion you are allowed on those adversaries will depend on whether or not that army is normally allowed for discussion here at the B&C. It's a developmental choice with varying consequences.

I just wanted to make sure everyone understands my idea is not to run a campaign itself, but create a series of Imperial Armour style "books" about campaigns of the Liber, with a pre-written story. I was looking for people to offer their Chapters to help with the creation so nobody's Chapter is depicted wrongly. But If running a campaign sounds better than I am all ears.

Have the Angels' Vengeance Chapter ready to go. Depending on time setting, so towards the present (in 40k terms) the sub sector the chapter is located will be largely 'peaceful' and can spare a sizable force to commit to any campaign that happens. My DIY chapter is of the 26th founding and is located in the Ultima Segmentum, north of the genesis chapter homeworld and west of the number 4 engagement which involved the sable swords chapter and necrons. ( check the space marine book page 30. )

@ 11th Co: I thought it would be like that too. Id prefer it that way too. I tried to write an ImpAr campaign once, but lost track. Maybe this could help.

Are we to write rules for chapter characters too?

Archived