Campaign: Liber Astartes

Cpt_Reaper

I just wanted to make sure everyone understands my idea is not to run a campaign itself, but create a series of Imperial Armour style "books" about campaigns of the Liber, with a pre-written story. I was looking for people to offer their Chapters to help with the creation so nobody's Chapter is depicted wrongly. But If running a campaign sounds better than I am all ears.

I figured that was the idea which I am still entirely cool with so I still offer my chapter for use for the cause

I just wanted to make sure everyone understands my idea is not to run a campaign itself, but create a series of Imperial Armour style "books" about campaigns of the Liber, with a pre-written story. I was looking for people to offer their Chapters to help with the creation so nobody's Chapter is depicted wrongly. But If running a campaign sounds better than I am all ears.

Ah, I think I got the wrong end of the stick!

That sounds lot better; so I still offer my Knights.

So ... what we need for each campaign.

1> Timeframe

2> Who's taking part, and how many marines used

3> Enemy force

Then we can start working.

That’s what I thought, still think is a great ideal ;) . My Dire Wolves are still available If needed :tu: If pushed, A company could be in any Segmentum chasing reports of the Fallen :rolleyes:

I dont get to play much anyways so this is something i'll definatly be up for.

Chapter - Marines Invictus

Homeworld - Inothia, segmentum Solar (used for recruitment only)

Despite having a homeworld the chapter is almost entirely fleet based and crusade throughout the galaxy. (you can slot them anywhere you like in the campaign)

anyone interested can checkout the WIP section for a preview <_<

I’ve thought about creating a Liber Campaign for a while, so I’ve got some notes down I want to share if you don’t mind listening to the musings of an old Liberite.

The original concept forms around the idea of us (Liber) creating a number of chapters (say two) which are involved in a campaign together. Seeing as this thread seems to focus on using our current DIY chapters, and Brother Tyler is currently running a chapter creation competition (which reminds me, I need to complete my entry for), I will shift everything over.

The campaign book would contain numerous different chapters, each either covering one of the many forces involved or a section of the campaign. For example, the first chapter would cover the introduction, followed by the opening moves of the campaign. Then you might do a detailed look at Chapter A, and then continue the story line a little bit more and you guys get the idea.

Transferring this across to numerous campaigns, you would need to have a combined storyline in order to make it feel like a single project. This would form the opening section – “The Call to War”. We would need to think of good reasons why numerous crusades across the galaxy are linked in some way – especially if these campaigns are against numerous different enemies. I think these links are needed to ensure this doesn’t dissolve into three or four projects that aren’t linked – it is important to keep the community project feel here.

Once the Call to War section has outlined why the armies are fighting, we will need to discuss who the armies consists of. This of course might range from four or five chapters each sending a company each, or a dozen chapters sending anything from a single squad to a company. This will depend on the number of chapters in the area – and also the members who wish to “send” their forces.

We would also need to develop some background facts, such as maps of the systems involved and who is in overall command of each crusade. We could discuss that like gentlemen, or put it down to a competition (for example write a brief background for the character you wish to be in charge and we vote etc).

The development of the storyline will then progress, hopefully setting ourselves targets to have sections completed by set dates. People might have to be big of themselves and offer their men to be killed – sometimes some marines have to die. We would hopefully give them heroic deaths and not send them out cheaply.

Anyway, I think I have rambled on enough now.

I'm definetly up for this, the Night Scorpions need a good scrap.

Southern Reductus sector.

Will be up for writing fluff etc to if you want help -_-

~Gil :(

I think this would be most productive if it was run similarly to the Liber Astartes Chapter Creation competition/cooperation that Brother Tyler is doing. Have one member be in charge of the structure, the outline, the basic flow and concept of the campaign(s). The rest of the Liber could then focus on each individual section as the manager moves through them. Much like we did with the Loyalist aspect, and are currently doing with the Renegade aspect, of the Liber Chapter. However, that being said, this will be a long project and not something that will just appear overnight. Make sure that whoever decides to "run" this is committed to the long haul, like Brother Tyler has shown himself to be.

However, that being said, this will be a long project and not something that will just appear overnight. Make sure that whoever decides to "run" this is committed to the long haul, like Brother Tyler has shown himself to be.

I have to agree with this. In the preivous competition I particpated in many people sighed up. Only about half actually submitted their stories by the deadline, despite having three months to do so. Only people who are honestly and completely comitted to this project beyond a mere passing interest should join. It's a community project and it hurts the project as a whole if someone drops out of a team effort.

I’ve thought about creating a Liber Campaign for a while, so I’ve got some notes down I want to share if you don’t mind listening to the musings of an old Liberite.

The original concept forms around the idea of us (Liber) creating a number of chapters (say two) which are involved in a campaign together. Seeing as this thread seems to focus on using our current DIY chapters, and Brother Tyler is currently running a chapter creation competition (which reminds me, I need to complete my entry for), I will shift everything over.

The campaign book would contain numerous different chapters, each either covering one of the many forces involved or a section of the campaign. For example, the first chapter would cover the introduction, followed by the opening moves of the campaign. Then you might do a detailed look at Chapter A, and then continue the story line a little bit more and you guys get the idea.

Transferring this across to numerous campaigns, you would need to have a combined storyline in order to make it feel like a single project. This would form the opening section – “The Call to War”. We would need to think of good reasons why numerous crusades across the galaxy are linked in some way – especially if these campaigns are against numerous different enemies. I think these links are needed to ensure this doesn’t dissolve into three or four projects that aren’t linked – it is important to keep the community project feel here.

Once the Call to War section has outlined why the armies are fighting, we will need to discuss who the armies consists of. This of course might range from four or five chapters each sending a company each, or a dozen chapters sending anything from a single squad to a company. This will depend on the number of chapters in the area – and also the members who wish to “send” their forces.

We would also need to develop some background facts, such as maps of the systems involved and who is in overall command of each crusade. We could discuss that like gentlemen, or put it down to a competition (for example write a brief background for the character you wish to be in charge and we vote etc).

The development of the storyline will then progress, hopefully setting ourselves targets to have sections completed by set dates. People might have to be big of themselves and offer their men to be killed – sometimes some marines have to die. We would hopefully give them heroic deaths and not send them out cheaply.

I largely agree with this. However I would suggest that due to the fact that we have some 26th involved in this project the Crusades would have to take place somewhere in late M41 if we wish to include them.

My advice would be to total whose interested and then give a group of chapters a crusade and have them all be part of a larger crusade of sorts.

I agree, we should do M.41, there are a lot of 26th founding chapters out there...

I feel that the easiest thing is to look for a momentous event(s) that occured in M.41 that would affect the Imperium entire, so, for example, a Black Crusade brings in thousands of Astartes to deal with it, that weakens points X,Y,Z so enemy forces strike as they sense weakness. These would be Eldar (all kinds) Orks, Tau?? and, obviously, Chaos warbands. Tyranids would be around as well in the East of the Imperium.

After that, we need to pick two or three, say, points/regions to focus on where the Imperials gather enough forces to halt/counterattack the enemies of Man. These would preobably take the form of a Crusade to recover lost worlds.

What will be nice is to have renegade/traitor DIY factions heavily involved, especially if there is a hatred between D renegades and Chapter P due to an even in the Chapters history.

Im thinking, at this point in time, we will need three regions to focus on, initially. Once we choose where these regions are (one in Ultima for sure) we can choose which Chapters/renegades/Xenos are involved.

Just my thoughts for now

I would suggest getting a rough outline of who is interested by the end of tomorrow so we can look at which areas are being used. Then we can move on to working out why these campaigns are occuring ;)

I would like to contribute my diy: The Carnivores for this campaign idea. Their homeworld Thanatos is currently located in the Segmentum Ultima reign of space. If you need any aid for the project, I will try to help out. Let the Hunt begin!

I'd like to sign the Scions of Vengeance up, although I've yet to put pen to paper with their IA (mostly due to the fact most of you wouldn't like it :)) they mainly operate in the Ultima Segmentum.

I think this would be most productive if it was run similarly to the Liber Astartes Chapter Creation competition/cooperation that Brother Tyler is doing. Have one member be in charge of the structure, the outline, the basic flow and concept of the campaign(s). The rest of the Liber could then focus on each individual section as the manager moves through them. Much like we did with the Loyalist aspect, and are currently doing with the Renegade aspect, of the Liber Chapter. However, that being said, this will be a long project and not something that will just appear overnight. Make sure that whoever decides to "run" this is committed to the long haul, like Brother Tyler has shown himself to be.

Or we could divide into groups based on area/smaller areas in the case of the Ultima Segmentum. It would probably be more productive, as you're working on multiple things at once, you've got fewer people discussing each individual thing, meaning you can work quicker, but still maintain creativity, and you can make sure that people have an active interest in whatever they're doing.

If in seperate groups, I would assume that they would be seperate campaigns. Eg. Tempestus vs Waaagh Killfang and Obscorus vs Chaos (a couple of ideas?)

I think that the idea of lots of small inter-locking campaigns, maybe culminating in a larger crusade would be the best course of action to pursue. It means that we don't have to try and force chapters from all over the galaxy into one place, plus I think the large campaigns are a little overdone and require a lot more work.

Using time would also allow us a lot more scope and creativity. For example, have a small event that requires only a few chapters in M34 that results in a medium sized event in M38 that interacts with a small even in M40 to make a large event in M41. That way everyone can be involved without the need to shove 20 chapters into the same sector.

Differant groups would also allow differant time periods for differant campaigns. This also goes back to what was said earlier, each area/campaign would have its own "book." So naturally, there would be more diversity.

I think that the idea of lots of small inter-locking campaigns, maybe culminating in a larger crusade would be the best course of action to pursue. It means that we don't have to try and force chapters from all over the galaxy into one place, plus I think the large campaigns are a little overdone and require a lot more work.

We already have fluff precedence for chapters coming from al over the galaxy to fight in rmeote areas. The Damocles Crusade had the Iron Hands go across the entire galaxy to fight the Tau. The Ultramarines traveled quite a distance to fight at Armageddon, etc, etc.

We already have fluff precedence for chapters coming from al over the galaxy to fight in rmeote areas. The Damocles Crusade had the Iron Hands go across the entire galaxy to fight the Tau. The Ultramarines traveled quite a distance to fight at Armageddon, etc, etc.

I would say that those were because those were galaxy-defining battles, which I don't think is what we're quite aiming for (sector-defining maybe but not "humanity will die if we do not stop this threat" level of importance). Though I have never understood the Iron Hands fighting in the Damocles Gulf...

The only problem with one unifying theme spread from M35 to M41 is that you need a long lived threat that reaches all segmentums to hold it all together. The Chaos gods are the only threat I know that will fit that bill. If you really want to go that route there are two options I can see.

Option A> Use existing Chaos gods; or,

Option B> Use a new, Lesser Chaos god of our own design.

Now I've done some work and thinking on Option B before.

Shea'an, Mistress of Pain, imprisoned in a monolith and released by mistake in opening campaign against chaos rebels. She can be building forces and allies and testing Imperial defenses throughout most of the other campaigns, until the final M41 galaxy wide campaign.

Archived