Just played my 46th draigo wing game

nurglez

Right, I have been playing a termie heavy/pure termie logan wing, and when the grey knights were soon to come out, Commander Sasha said to me, "am I gonna be seeing grey terminators soon?"

To which I replied, "maybe with some proxies".

After frantically gluing the arms on to 3 of my grey knight termies, I had 1500 points of grey knight's ready-minus their paint or shoulder pads-without any proxies.

Draigo, 15 pallies, 1 dreadknight, Vs the might of the skavenids

Battle report here

I loved it, 17 models at 1500 points is just too much fun :D

Well it was a game vs tyranids, which I have tangled with more then a few times with termiators. Although the first time I have foot slogged.

I have several friends, having orks, chaos and imperial guard, and I need to get several games against these opponents. I also want to play a few games at 2000, letting me play around, as I'm toying with a list including an extra stock dread, a libby and an assassin (probably vindicare but maybe eversor).

17 models is such fun, 2 wounds are rather durable, I just need to find some suitable counters for all the wounds heh.

I had my Genestealers infiltrated 6" from Nurglez' table edge; after his 5 Paladin squad came on from reserve and killed them, losing 1 Pally, my Devilgaunt spore dropped in and shot another; 25% loss in shooting phase, failed morale test, fell back 7" off board. Highlight of the game for me!

Draigowing really hurts! Get you next time though!

genesis_rhapsod0s they failed their moral test for losing 25% casualties, made up for next turn when his hive tyrant failed his leadership test and died due to daemon's bane :D

Commander Sasha just remember that my dreadknight can fly, and we'll see about that next game :(

nurglez I'm a little confused about something you said in your batrep. You said that one of your termie squads fled after turn 3 (I think). Did you choose to fail that Morale test, or am I grossly misunderstanding what you said?

Grey Knights don't have Combat Tactics, so you can't choose to fail it.

nurglez I'm a little confused about something you said in your batrep. You said that one of your termie squads fled after turn 3 (I think). Did you choose to fail that Morale test, or am I grossly misunderstanding what you said?

Grey Knights don't have Combat Tactics, so you can't choose to fail it.

That's true, but all Grey Knights DO have And They Shall Know No Fear, where they automatically pass those tests unless they choose to take them. That's why I'm confused.

and they shall know no fear lets them auto pass the regroup check, as long as they are 6 inches away from the enemy, but it doesn't help you pass the moral check. I fled straight off the table so had no chance to regroup.

no worries genesis_rhapsod0s, happens to the best of us.

Well it was my own fault for leaving them within range of my board edge (still used to playing with an army of fearless plague marines), but it did equal out as in the 5th turn a single genestealer that was all that remained of his troops turned tail and ran, leaving Commander Sasha unable to draw the game.

Right, I had 2 more games today, and another 2 wins under my belt!

First game was against Commander Sasha's skavenids again, but with a few changes to his list. 5 objective pitched battle. Highlights were killing his tervigon with massed psycannon fire on my second turn, draigo withstanding a charge from 10 genestealers, letting pallies come to his rescue, 3 pallies survivng a charge from 9 genestealers and then wiping them out next turn, and draigo charging a hive tyrant and guard, putting a wound on each and killing them due to force weapon activation.

Lows were my dreadnight dying early (saved some fire on my pallies though), a zoanthrope charging past draigo to kill a lone pally on an objective in the 7th turn.

Second game was Vs RebG's angels sanguine, A libby, 2 assault squads, command squad, storm raven, 2 individual landspeeders and a furioso dread. kill points, dawn of war set up. I decided to not combat squad, So I only had 4 kill points, while my opponent had around 10. I won, 7-8 kill points to 3. Highlights were having my 10 man squad suffer a round of shooting and assault from 2 depleted assault squads, despite suffering quite a few wounds I only lost 1 pally. Draigo charged and killed the libby and held up the many power weaponed command squad, giving his life to help my last kill point survive.

Lows were the amount of psycannon shots it took to take out the storm raven, the amount I had to hide to preserve my squads and how easily my 5 man squad lost wounds to combined fire (well, his dread with fragcannon, assault cannon, 2 depleted squads and a landspeeder), they then ran off the table, I really miss fearless.

Hopefully I shall play an ork and an imperial guard opponent soon, and I'm dreading the imperial guard the most, if his demolisher gets near me I'm toast and I dont want to deepstrike 300 point squads either.

Congrats on your victories! Always like hearing about the Grey Knights in action.

Question though... Isn't Draigo's Titansword just a regular force weapon, not a NFW? Wouldn't he only be able to ID one model, not both?

Draigo is Psyker Mastery 2 so he could theoretically activate it twice. Still, it would be S10 vs the Tyrant and his brood due to them being Psykers. Although not instakill for that reason, still nasty.

DOH I may have done it wrong then, whoops. live and learn heh, only played 3 games so far and it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game as it was near the end of the game.

I really, really need to write a list of things I need to remember, kept forgetting to cast hammer hand in combat, forgetting that draigo's weapon is master crafted.

Thanks for the reminding about draigo's weapon :)

Right, got 2 games in today, both at 2000 points, so I added a libby with halbard and sanctuary, shrouding, warp rift, might of titans, quicksilver and 3 servo skulls, a vindicare assassin, a dread with psycannon and incinerator (assault cannon, heavy flamer and psy stuffs) and I master crafted a few hammers.

First game was kill points, dawn of war against a dual landraider chaos marine army, including lucius and 9 noise marines in one, and kharne and 9 berserkers in the other. 7 termies, 10 dual melta chaos marines in a rhino and a vindicator. He conceded on the 4th/5th turn as by that point he had killed a few termies, my Dreadknight and libby while I had left him with a weaponless vindicator and a untouched landraider (8 kill points to 2).

Second game was capture and control, dawn of war again vs orks, 2 big meks with custom force fields, 1 battle wagon, 10 nobs, 30 boys, 2 squads of gretchin, 12 lootas, 2x3 killa kans, and 2 dread's, 3 bikes and 3 deth koptors (he forgot to deploy his 3 zapp guns and didn't remember about them til the end of the game).

I won by grabbing his objective in the 5th turn after the one squad I had left on mine got wiped out due to the nob squad charging out of a battle wagon and fail rolling from me. I targeted his 3 scoring units and wiped them out by the end of the third turn.

The libby is damn nice, helped draigo and his squad kill several dreads and killer kans (might of titans+hammer hand=str6 +2d6 armour penetration:D ), of course fighting a list with some psychic defence wouldn't have the same effect, but the libby was the man of the match in the second game, while the dreadnought was a bit lack lustre, the vindicare didn't impress me too much either (first game he took the lascannon off a landraider and killed a rhino, while in the second game he did pretty much nothing except die to the bikes due to custom force field saves. Force weapons really helped vs the nob squad the second time around too. Draigo didn't do that much apart from absorb a lot of damage, but that kept my troops alive and let me win so I guess that's a good thing.

So now 5 wins out of 5 games, feeling a bit mean for using a paladin heavy army heh (yes I know against a properly/competitively designed list it shouldn't do as well, but not that many of the weapons killed me outright and I used cover+shrouding and played the wound allocation game pretty well).

I'm sure my friend's will get used to my list eventually, but out of the opponents I usually play only the nid and blood angel have the option for any psychic defence, letting my cast psychic abilities like a crazy person who likes to cast spells :)

This seems to be a common refrain: "I know that Draigo/Pallies shouldn't work, but they do."

As a person who would not mind having a viable low-model-count army, I am intrigued. ;)

Why is it that a "properly designed" army should eat their lunch? Why are they succeeding where they should be failing?

This seems to be a common refrain: "I know that Draigo/Pallies shouldn't work, but they do."

As a person who would not mind having a viable low-model-count army, I am intrigued. <_<

Why is it that a "properly designed" army should eat their lunch? Why are they succeeding where they should be failing?

A DriagoWing army is truly vulnerable to only one kind of weapon S8+ AP2- shooting weaponry. Some will say that they are vulnerable to power weapons and power fists but in practice few live long enough to actually kill paladins with wound allocation and powerfists usually don't get a chance to swing.

Most armies short of a Demolisher Guard list just can't bring enough punishment to bare to really threaten a DriagoWing army. For example, it takes 111 BS4 Melta shots to kill my 2.5k DriagoWing army. That does not include any cover saves nor the ability for me to use shrouding. Most armies are have trouble dishing out that much firepower. Not to mention that PT Dread Knights and psycannons can quickly remove the largest threats by the 2nd or 3rd turns. It becomes a war of attrition and paladins are extremely difficult to kill late game.

Also, many competetive lists that do have large amounts of S8+ weaponry don't break our TDA, Long Fang missile spam comes to mind, even PsyRifleDread spam has this issue. When it takes 11 BS4 missiles to kill a single paladin any army that is built around this kind of firepower will struggle.

As a person who would not mind having a viable low-model-count army, I am intrigued. <_<

A DriagoWing army is truly vulnerable to only one kind of weapon S8+ AP2- shooting weaponry. Some will say that they are vulnerable to power weapons and power fists but in practice few live long enough to actually kill paladins with wound allocation and powerfists usually don't get a chance to swing.

Most armies short of a Demolisher Guard list just can't bring enough punishment to bare to really threaten a DriagoWing army. For example, it takes 111 BS4 Melta shots to kill my 2.5k DriagoWing army. That does not include any cover saves nor the ability for me to use shrouding. Most armies are have trouble dishing out that much firepower. Not to mention that PT Dread Knights and psycannons can quickly remove the largest threats by the 2nd or 3rd turns. It becomes a war of attrition and paladins are extremely difficult to kill late game.

Also, many competetive lists that do have large amounts of S8+ weaponry don't break our TDA, Long Fang missile spam comes to mind, even PsyRifleDread spam has this issue. When it takes 11 BS4 missiles to kill a single paladin any army that is built around this kind of firepower will struggle.

Thank you for providing accurate statistics to your arguements I for one apprecaite it.

I play a half draigowing army and I have found just by keeping cover on them and using shrouding for a 3+ cover save they are very difficult to remove. The only thing that has completely removed them was an army of deathwing in 1750 contain 25 TH/SS termies with 5 cyclones, even then I reduced him to 8 termies and I only had 9 palies draigo and a lib in the unit, the other part to my army was 2 dreads and some intercepetors. The DA player was also extremely lucky on rolls and really should have been tabled, If I posted his saves you would think he was using loaded dice. I do not believe a full draigo list is the most competitive list myself as it can be some what kited and avoided by a good player however as a core for an army they function briliantly. Also I do not even take an apoc as small arms fire is already rather useless against them.

Regards,

Crynn

Paladins are very survivable, In my second game (vs the orks) in his second turn he wiped out 1 of my combat squads (the squad with 4 psycannons...), 2 died from being shot with str 8 ap2 weps on his killer kans, and the other 3 died to his nob squad. This let him think he was doing really well, at the end of the game he had 6-8 lootas, 2 deth koptors and 3 bikes left alive. Draigo, the libby, 2 squads of 5 pallies and the dreadnight wiped out 30 boys, 2x10 grots, 6 killa kans, 2 dreads, his battle wagon and his 2 meks with custom force fields. It was great.

The thing I love about this army is that I can take a bunch of wounds from normal shooting or close combat, and still have most of the squad standing (10 man squad suffered 5-7 wounds in one combat vs blood angels and only lost 1 model).

I still need to play against my friend's imperial guard, and this army I do worry about, but once I get close I reckon I should be able to do some damage, of course my weapon ranges are the same as his demolisher...

I did a paladin centric(1750, 2v2, my teammate was eldar) game this weekend, Draigo + 4 and Liby + 4 each in their own LRR/LRC with a ven psydread and regular psydread in the back... killed a lot of things. Draigo wasted a hive tyrant before it was even able to attack, psyk-out grenades are full of lulz vs psykers.

I did have my LRC hammerhead'd at the very beginning of the game, forcing my lib squad to footslog to the center objective and dig in, sigh. I lost my LRC and one of the arms off of my venerable dread, but that was it.

I was just screwing around with this list, but I actually really liked it! Usually I take some razorbacks with strike squads, but I felt double LR with psydread backup was more effective in a 2v2. Unfortunately at most I'd be able to hold 2 points in an objective game, lol.

Archived