Tactica: Tactical Terminators

Mysticaria

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I didn't think his personal FNP was granted to joined squads? Apothecaries don't have the special rule but their wargear grants it to the squad am I right? Wow, that would be broken if his fnp was squad wide.

Sorry, meant HAS FNP, too early in the morning. :cuss

I like to run my tactical terminators with sanguinary priests. Squad wide FNP is very nice and furious charge is icing on the cake. The extra initiative might be wasted on the power fists but having two power weapons striking at I5 is welcome.

Double-CML requires the enemy to take out 8 TDA bodies before you lose a single missile shot. Of course, you do waste a boatload of stormbolter shots every turn doing that...

Not if you're shooting frag missiles. Even crappy scatter with four of those will net you plenty of hits; throw in the stormbolter rounds, and I was wiping out whole squads by inundating their ability to make armor saves.

Curse you and your fancy codex. -_-

WTB apoths as elites

He's 85 pts for a single W IC that doesn't have any ranged attack, so pretty pricey. Most people over at the BA forum only take priests in assault terminator squads but I like the fact that you force your opponent to use serious firepower if he wants to get rid of them.

Curse you and your fancy codex. -_-

WTB apoths as elites

He's 85 pts for a single W IC that doesn't have any ranged attack, so pretty pricey. Most people over at the BA forum only take priests in assault terminator squads but I like the fact that you force your opponent to use serious firepower if he wants to get rid of them.

If you think about it, the Sang Priest is fairly easy to off in mêlée, which is where the more gung ho players want to send their squads. As an IC, he is pretty easy to get rid of.

But shooting, well that's another story. The BA player gets full control over that one.

+++

I am surprised Wolf Guard Termies don't get used by Wolf players. They can buy 10 of them, use 5 as Pack leaders, then have a squad of 5 as Termies.

Double Cyclone is an option. All the models can be made unique. You can have power weapons/ wolf claws mixed in with the i1 stuff like power and chain fists, and whilst the SS is very expensive, have that thrown into the mix too.

Plus can be giving combi-weapons.

230 pts for C:SM Termies.

CML

225 pts for 5 Wolf Guard Termies with Storm bolter and power weapons. (+ 5 as Sergeants)

2 CML

If you guys are having success with C:SM ones, surely they can too?

Double-CML requires the enemy to take out 8 TDA bodies before you lose a single missile shot. Of course, you do waste a boatload of stormbolter shots every turn doing that...

Not if you're shooting frag missiles. Even crappy scatter with four of those will net you plenty of hits; throw in the stormbolter rounds, and I was wiping out whole squads by inundating their ability to make armor saves.

Good point. That would make a beastly combination alongside my squadron of Typhoons, Thunderfire Cannon, and two Whirlwinds.

I am surprised Wolf Guard Termies don't get used by Wolf players. They can buy 10 of them, use 5 as Pack leaders, then have a squad of 5 as Termies.

Double Cyclone is an option. All the models can be made unique. You can have power weapons/ wolf claws mixed in with the i1 stuff like power and chain fists, and whilst the SS is very expensive, have that thrown into the mix too.

Plus can be giving combi-weapons.

230 pts for C:SM Termies.

CML

225 pts for 5 Wolf Guard Termies with Storm bolter and power weapons. (+ 5 as Sergeants)

2 CML

If you guys are having success with C:SM ones, surely they can too?

Been doing this for ages but folk seem all doey eyed over thunderwolves ;) . The only trouble is finding homes for 5 pack leaders. Its tough in small point games.

• 3 weeks later...

Well what has been working for me well recently is-

Librarian, TDA, Combi plasma, FW, Gate of infinity, Null Zone.

x6 termis, chainfist +assault cannon.

I gate around and Null zone let me shred some wynches real good as there save is inv. It was nice. :devil:

Also my friend runs Logan-wing and its awesome.

Well what has been working for me well recently is-

Librarian, TDA, Combi plasma, FW, Gate of infinity, Null Zone.

x6 termis, chainfist +assault cannon.

I gate around and Null zone let me shred some wynches real good as there save is inv. It was nice. :)

Also my friend runs Logan-wing and its awesome.

You know witches don't get a save from your shooting right? Has the assault canon been shooting skimmers down or would a cyclone launcher be better? The frag shot is pretty good against witches too since they don't get an armor save from it and you still get 2 bolter shots. Why do you like the assault canon?

Also, why are you running with 6 terminators? Did you have some extra points or did you just need the one extra guy for some reason?

What's the purpose of the combiplas? Doesn't seem like it goes well with the storm bolters and assault canons. What do you like to use it to target?

-Myst

I feel assault cannons mesh perfectly with stormbolters. They'r elike the bog brother in the group, throwing out double the shots and wounding much more often. Rending is just icing on the cake, or the hail mary pass against vehicles.

Against horde armies, nothing beats a 10-man Terminator squad with two assault cannons as an anchor unit for a flank or center. Respectable range to reach to the midfield and a withering hail of fire.

Ah, but cyclones make up for less shots by allowing you to keep the stormbolter on the termy, AND fire two krak/frags.

Don't forget the Rule of Cool, though. I personally find assault cannons to be VERY cool. Every time you make an armor save you can say "I ain't got time to bleed."

I think CML > AC.

First off, the AC is a solid gun, no doubt about it.

But whilst the AC is slightly better against AV than a Las cannon [which is pretty sweet considering it is a multi-purpose weapon] it has some downsides and/or breaks even with the CML.

A] Terminators are infantry [who are basically the slowest thing in 40K] and require a LR to get around. The CML somewhat offsets that slowness, as reach ≈ speed.

Those Tau who have slinked away from your TEq with JSJ moves will be within range of the CML all game, pretty much.

That enemy who has split his Tau firebase into two portions, so your mêlée unit of doom can't run through his whole list in one foul swoop, will still be getting some kraks flung at his 2nd base.

Eldar are shorter on reach than Imperials, yet have high speed so they can lurk and mass at a point, then swoop in. 24" AC makes little difference to them lurking at a certain point. The CML can still disrupt them.

I have quite happily fragged pesky Termagants or Wyches at extreme range, who were otherwise scoring an Objective.

B] 2 s4 and 2 s8 is quite equivalent to 4 s6 when you consider the gamut of things to kill. But consider this: how many ap4 things did you have to kill or else they mess up your Marines?

Fire Warriors, Scouts, Ard Boyz and some Aspect Warriors [banshees and Dragons] are not really super hard to kill, and imo, it is only the Eldar units who are properly dangerous.

Marines, Plague Marines, Blood Angels with special cups, Death Co. Nobz, Nob Bikers, Mega Nobz, Tyranid Warriors and Grey Knights with Halberds are much worse for your Marines to deal with, and a couple of kraks works wonders against sv3+ mutli-wound and/or FNP t4 things.

Also, sv4+ can be achieved with cover, so the whole ap4 benefit of the AC can be undone by use of cover, whereas the krak missile is still getting rid of some of the more frustrating models in the game.

I am guessing the two s8 shots are actually better against everything bar AV14.

So, imo, within 24", the CML is slightly better anyway. At greater than 24", the CML is fantastically better.

Now to get them for less than $15 on eBay, that is the real problem with CML :lol:

IMHO they are both fantastic weapons, and it comes down to choice. Now if you're running a 10 man squad, chances are it'll be footslogging. In this instance I feel the CML is better, as it have the range to offset their slowness, allowing you to cripple tanks and heavy weapons squad from the go. If, however, you're only running a small 5 man squad, I tend to prefer the assault cannon. Such a squad I will normally deep strike to reinforce my battle lines, and for me the assault cannon looks cooler, and is a good weapon up close. With 24" range on everything you can drop around 17" away and still be able to be in range, and can threaten side armour etc. Of course the CML can do this is as well, but the assault cannon just looks so good. :)

Now to get them for less than $15 on eBay, that is the real problem with CML :)

So true. You can get the Dark Angels assault cannon for 99 cents, snip off the feathers, glue a purity seal over it and be done. You have to trade organs for CMLs.

Wow... didn't realize they got so expensive. I'm definately for the cheapness/easyness argument.... after all one of the "strengths" I listed in the original article on page 1 is that tactical terminators can be had on the cheap because they are so inexpensive out of black reach. I'll go back and add this into the article as a "strength" of the AC. It is certainly relavent, especially to new players getting started.

Believe I already have "the rule of cool" adressed in the article so no need to edit that. -_-

-Myst

• 2 weeks later...
So true. You can get the Dark Angels assault cannon for 99 cents, snip off the feathers, glue a purity seal over it and be done. You have to trade organs for CMLs.

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/cav/latest/24589

buy this turret, save your organs for forgeworld stuff.

Do you have any pics of converted termies with this turret set? Hard to tell the scale from the Reaper site. Thanks!

http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/cav/latest/24589

buy this turret, save your organs for forgeworld stuff.

Do you have any pics of converted termies with this turret set? Hard to tell the scale from the Reaper site. Thanks!

No pics but it's considerably smaller, roughly 2/3 of the GW cyclone. I think it looks way better though, the original and most GW replacements are borderline comically oversized to me.

You can also buy the turret alone, without the tank body...for 77 cents. Click the little puzzle piece to expand to the Boneyard section and add only the turret to your cart. I can't remember if Reaper does cast-on-demand for orders like this, or if they just search their partial casts bins for the parts. That would make them subject to availability, but you can always call and ask them. Their customer service is very very good.

These are the situations an AC has the advantage.

Toughness equal or less than 6, Save is 2+ or equal to or greater than 4+.

Cover or invulnerable saves

AV 13 and 14

Medium/short range

Price and availability

Coolness

Situations the CML/SB has the advantage:

T4 multi wound models, 3+ save.

Slight advantage against 6+ save hordes.

AV less than 13

Long range

These are facts. You can interpret them as you like. I prefer the assault cannon, but if I had a CML model I would totally take one of both in my ten man squads for flexibility, which is what tactical terminators are about.

The assault cannon is too random for my taste. On average is does well but that's pretty much only when it rends. So nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, BY THE THRONE I JUST ROLLED 3 RENDS ON THAT RUSS SQUADRON, nothing....

Expected results from the cyclone are easier on the nerves. Not to mention that it's effective outside of plasma, demolisher and melta range.

Archived