Grey Knights coloring

Glendor

The Grey in their name is not a reference to their color scheme. When they first came out, they wore black terminater armor with silver helmets and used force halberds with an integrated twin-link bolter. The steel color scheme came later.

SJ

I do mine grey/silver with an emphasis towards the shiny side. If you ever saw the old Excalibur movie, the way their silver armor shined is what I'm going for. Other than that I'm sticking with pretty standard scheme.

Ive painted my knights the the same Mithrill over Boltgun with Blue wash as the origional box recomended.

However I refused to paint any gold or Red. Everything that was red is now Purple. And the 'Faux Latin' is Mithrill over Ice blue background to actualy show what I belive is their Ageis.

-Gib-

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/43/62273368.jpg

here are some grey Grey Knights of mine, personally I think its an awesome colour scheme, admittedly my tau are silver so I didn't want another silver army which was an important driving factor but I also think it takes a bit more effort to paint and in a small elite army thats good.

For further reference:

crowe

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/4314/63610463.jpg

Valkyrie counts as SR

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/9223/img5580copy.jpg

Mine are not either Grey or silver. I wanted to differ from the main group and made mine white. Influence from catholic church, they did have the inquisition once :thanks:

So mine are white with red cloth/details.

PURIFIER

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Grey%20Knights/greyKnights.jpg

Yeah, nice job, Vash, I really like those, too.

As for me, I wanted to rock the Black and Gold:

gallery_23369_1077_23772.jpg

Grand Master

gallery_23369_1077_3961.jpg

Justicar

gallery_23369_1077_17225.jpg

Incinerator

Valerian

I did my Grandmaster's retinue (now paladins) in chain mail grey with mithril silver dry brushing; i do my regular termies in bolt gun metal with chain-mail dry brushing and my PAGK just get the bolt gun metal with a blue or black wash, depending on my mood.

that way as the knight escalates in rank and power, his gear seems a bit more lustrous.

JasoX, that black and grey is not chapter approved, and totally hawt; like if a GK went a tour in deathwatch

JasoX, that black and grey is not chapter approved, and totally hawt; like if a GK went a tour in deathwatch

I know, that is the point why i chose that color scheme

I went with real gray also:

My surfin' Libby

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_KYc5-ZYzLRk/TaxGdaK1oGI/AAAAAAAABtk/ThTt8Ef2qWg/s720/IMGP0134.JPG

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_KYc5-ZYzLRk/TaxGlt7GPvI/AAAAAAAABt4/_5rl6ympC9k/s720/IMGP0135.JPG

My SR:

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_KYc5-ZYzLRk/TYt2KyOzsZI/AAAAAAAABq0/LoALORIWdHE/s912/IMGP0088.JPG

My LR Redeemer:

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_KYc5-ZYzLRk/TWVlimR1EGI/AAAAAAAABmw/65GbX9CT198/s800/IMGP0016.JPG

I'm so glad we dont have any sprue grey "my army counts as xxxx today" players in our group. They would be told where to go very quickly, and likely also invited to take a good long hard look at themselves in the mirror.

Personaly I have a very hard time making anything but silver or black armour fly as actuall GK. Its not like other chapters where there is endless variation, there are only 1000 of them afterall. "Counts as" armies are a completely different matter entirely mind, please go wild if its your own chapter.

Grey itself has never seemed appropriate to me and often feels like the player got the wrong end of the stick with their name (not always I realise), not to mention making them look like just another marine chapter instead of something very special and rare. But oppinions are just that I guess, much like arses everyone has one.......................

Where does the name grey come from than if anyone could explain?

Part of the naming comes from the ceramic colouring of power armour when it is left unpainted. The choice to not paint it is supposedly a representation of their untainted purity. Unsure if I've remembered this correctly but it also allowed the marines who were hired by Malcador to remain unidentifiable with regards other chapters/legions, while representing a severing of their connections to their respective parent legions that had turned traitor.

Their name comes from their role, not their color scheme. Grey Knights are Marines that are not Marines. They fight one one enemy as an arm of the Inquisition, staying in the shadows, fighting a war agains the dark tide. They are "Grey" in that they are off to record, outside of the Imperial military machine.

As to their color scheme, they originally wore black Tactical Dreadnought Armour with silver helmets, and they wielded force halberds with an integrated twin-linked bolter. Some of their warriors carried psycannons, which fired "bolts" of pure psychic energy at targets, ignoring armour and power fields as the psychic bolts would shred the minds of those hit. All Grey Knights were Librarians with a selection of psychic powers they could use with the stored psychic energy in their force helberds, or dump all the energy into a melee attack that could sunder any armour while serving the soul's of there victums. And they always use teleportation as their mode of travel. Over time, the black color scheme was replaced with an all silver with gold trim scheme.

The next revision introduced powered armoured units as their main troops, as well as Dreadnoughts, Land Raiders, Heroes, and Inquisitorial tag-alongs.

The current revision sees a return of our old core army, Terminators as troops. Grey Knight also gained the status of being yet another codex-ish Marine army, which in a way lets you field them like we did in 1st and 2nd edition (as part of a Marine or Guard straike force), only now as an army in their our right with all the support units a modern army needs in the current setting.

So, Grey = outside the normal rules/off the record/not part of the Imperial ToE/part of the Inquisition.

SJ

Their name comes from their role, not their color scheme. Grey Knights are Marines that are not Marines. They fight one one enemy as an arm of the Inquisition, staying in the shadows, fighting a war agains the dark tide. They are "Grey" in that they are off to record, outside of the Imperial military machine.

As to their color scheme, they originally wore black Tactical Dreadnought Armour with silver helmets, and they wielded force halberds with an integrated twin-linked bolter. Some of their warriors carried psycannons, which fired "bolts" of pure psychic energy at targets, ignoring armour and power fields as the psychic bolts would shred the minds of those hit. All Grey Knights were Librarians with a selection of psychic powers they could use with the stored psychic energy in their force helberds, or dump all the energy into a melee attack that could sunder any armour while serving the soul's of there victums. And they always use teleportation as their mode of travel. Over time, the black color scheme was replaced with an all silver with gold trim scheme.

SJ

SJ,

What's your source on this? The original Grey Knights from Rogue Trader were nothing like this. Just read Slaves to Darkness for the original fluff and army list.

V

Well, other than the fact that I remember them when they first came out, there's the old Index Astartes articles which actually show their original color scheme side-by-side with their more current scheme. As to the Psycannons, a bit of the same, although Psycannons first appeared in Space Marine as a Psy-Titan main weapon, and was only later seen wielded by GK Terminators and OM Inquisitors. The first time I read that they required ammo and worked like a heavy bolter was in the Daemonhunter codex.

I've noted in past posts on 3rd ed GK that the psycannons seen on our metal minis appear exacttly like the Adaptus Titanics ones, only scaled to Marine size (those were post from back in 2008-2009).

SJ

Indeed, I know the pictures you talk about and it's an interesting theory. The use of black armour has become less referenced in recent years. The newer fluff with Garro & co' where he is already using unpainted, 'greyish' armour seems to suggest this practice came during the roots of their inception. Potentially, the whole issue of black armour maybe relegated to the forgotten vaults that only older players remember.

Archived