Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bjorn the Fell Handed WIP (pic heavy)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
210 replies to this topic

Iacton Qruze

Iacton Qruze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts
Well, it's time to paint again! I waste away my time on so many frivolous pursuits, but once a year or so, I hear about a painting competition I can be bothered to enter, and another lonely model joins the ranks of my painted Space Wolves. This year, it's the first Great Wolf himself, Bjorn the Fell Handed! :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And, what I've completed so far that was worth photographing:

Posted Image

Not the best photo, but I took it in a hurry. :P

Thanks for looking, more on this as it develops. ^_^

prozaczack

prozaczack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
Very nice

Forté

Forté

+ + OBLECTAMEN SACRISTAN ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 9,384 posts
Now THAT'S a dread!

gallery_29004_9303_17868.pnggallery_29004_9303_708.pnggallery_29004_9303_27433.pnggallery_29004_10691_328.pnggallery_29004_10691_4210.png

Click on the images above for the different thread links

My Putty & Paint gallery

Nrthstar

Nrthstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,068 posts
I think sinister is the right word to describe it!

gallery_29004_6198_41491.jpg

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

Jarl Kjaran Coldheart

++ PRÆCEPTOR BARBATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,984 posts
i cannot praise that model enough.

O
M
F
G

WLK

Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules. 13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be. DepthCharge on the Space Wolves

I'm so pleased that GW have gone to such great lengths to produce these awesome Space Wolves basing kits. Wraithwing on the Thousand Sons Rubic Marine release

"The Fell Hand is a name that has been passed on through out the Legion. When one warrior bearing it died, the name is left to be earned by another. Thus it was passed from Floki to Volund to Erik to Geigor. And then the tradition died, because censored.gif Bjorn got the name and proceeded to live for 10 censored.gifmillenia." - Sagas of the Wolf Priests. Wispy

Wulfebane

Wulfebane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,335 posts

Now THAT'S a dread!

THIS is what I've been talking about in the Fluffy characters thread. Bjorn's always looked so meek and generic. But this guy... words escape me. Is that skull a pure GS sculpt or is there a framework for it? ALL your GS work is breathtaking and seamless and the use of plastic bits is spot on. Where did the tubing behind the head come from, and what plastic pieces did those finger joints come from? Oh! and how are you making those brass bolts rounded? OMG so many questions! Ok, I'm done... ;)

My finished pieces & WiPs so far.
ETL_03_Custos_Fidei_Vow_02.jpg Img_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2012C.gif   18.jpg
gallery_17224_3229_261.gif gallery_17224_3068_410.gif gallery_17224_3068_874.png

Kassill

Kassill

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,110 posts

Now THAT'S a dread!

THIS is what I've been talking about in the Fluffy characters thread. Bjorn's always looked so meek and generic. But this guy... words escape me. Is that skull a pure GS sculpt or is there a framework for it? ALL your GS work is breathtaking and seamless and the use of plastic bits is spot on. Where did the tubing behind the head come from, and what plastic pieces did those finger joints come from? Oh! and how are you making those brass bolts rounded? OMG so many questions! Ok, I'm done... :P

Times x2 ;)
Lo, there do I see my fallen kinsmen, Threads cut by the foe I now seek. In bloody battle I will engage him, And carve my vengeance from his flesh. No ale shall pass my lips, At no feast will I indulge. No foe shall stay my wrath, Until my brothers are avenged. Ever shall I hunt my quarry, Across the Sea of Stars. Whilst I yet breathe, I will not falter, Until Morkai claims his due.--Bjorn's Oath of the Lone Wolf

Iacton Qruze

Iacton Qruze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts
Thanks for the replies and compliments, everyone. ;)

@ Wulfebane: The skull started as a ball of GS, with the tip of a skull snout for me to determine the skull length... so, 95% scratch. The white tubing is REALLY thin tube styrene, I think .5mm diameter or so. The metal cables I bought a bag of years ago from either the CMON shop or Dragonforge (the resin base people) but I can't remember which. The entire left arm is the forgeworld assault drill arm, albeit with an extensively modified claw; the base of the three clawed fingers are the fingers from the assault drill, with a 4th built from a plastic dread finger and part of a smoke launcher.

The rivets are one of my favorite little tricks. They are 1mm glass microbeads, that I bought from etsy. They are super cheap and serve me well for bulking out tanks, walkers, buildings, and for building older armor marks for my wolves.

Glass Microbeads

I think that covered everything, but if you have more questions, fire away; I'm happy to share anything that can benefit my fellow wolves. :)

jester262

jester262

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 611 posts
that makes forgeworld look like doodoo
"Rivers of gold are grand, but golden streams....not so much."

LUPUS FIDELIS

LUPUS FIDELIS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20 posts
Holy Smokes!!!!!!!!! Incredible job. I'd say you've inspired me to give Bjorn a facelift myself, but that'd be a lie, I can't see anything to change or improve on. Props to you man.
If you're short on everyting but the enemy..............It's a combat zone.

FenrisWolf

FenrisWolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 698 posts
Only one word:

Wow!

QUOTE (Gresiloth, on 09 Oct 2014, 7:05 PM)

Well me and my friend have taken our Fists/Wolves to tournaments together and we didn't fall out tongue.png

Our team name is 'From Russ Till Dorn'.

No, they are 40K air and water and other stuff. Just because it walks and quacks does not mean it is actually a duck, not even in RL.
QUOTE (Octavulg @ May 15 2011, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Walking like a duck and quacking like a duck is a good way to get classifed as a duck even if you're genetically a grebe, goose, or even a particularly odd sheep.
unnamed.jpggallery_29004_6198_41491.jpg

hendrik

hendrik

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,972 posts

I'm happy to share anything that can benefit my fellow wolves. :)

how about that ale you're holding ;)

on a more serious note, while i like the conversion i'm not 100% convinced about the wolf skull helmet, it screams wolf priest to me imo but don't worry since i do love the sculpt of the skull! i even thought you had made a cast from the ulrik model

WAR WITHIN, WAR WITHOUT!!

Iacton Qruze

Iacton Qruze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts
Alright, base is done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

With that, I'm moving up to the legs. :lol:

@ hendrik: I was a little hesitant about the wolf skull at one point, but I'm hoping that with the rest of him being decidedly non-wolf priest, the head will blend in and become part of the whole. Time will tell.

Thanks for looking, everyone!

commander alexander

commander alexander

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,893 posts
Looking sweet!

QUOTE (Lord Melvin @ Aug 5 2011, 06:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Autonomous? You speak heresy brother. The Adeptus Mechanicus will censure you for that. All you need to do is lobotomize a squirrel and you can have Power of the Machine Spirit.
QUOTE (Grey Mage @ Jun 4 2010, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you play SWs, are are you just hear for the ale?

Lord Ragnarok

Lord Ragnarok

++ DIMICATIO FORMIDOLOSA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 8,923 posts
The head is beyond awesome. However I'm not sure of the positioning of the plasma cannon.

Dead, Nids at the feet of Bjorn is awesome as well.

Edited by Lord Ragnarok, 15 May 2011 - 10:40 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
"This is not the first time you've been left to fate. I can see it in your manner. It takes something from you doesn't it? Being deserted hollows you out and leaves a void inside. People might say that it hurts, that the psyche aches from the wound. It's not true though. Abandonment does not leave pain. You wished it did because that would be better than the truth. It leaves nothing. Not hope, not pain, not forgiveness."

Iacton Qruze

Iacton Qruze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts
What would you suggest with the plasma cannon? It is magnetized, after all :lol:

FenrisWolf

FenrisWolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 698 posts
For the plasma cannon it would be nice if it could be out from the body pointing to the model's right, maybe about 30 degrees. I know this is ridiculously hard to do, but all the dreads always have their weapons pointing straight in front. They are supposed to be on an arm, no?

But even if you don't do that, I think it looks good the way you have it pointed. Slightly up, as if it just fired.

Well me and my friend have taken our Fists/Wolves to tournaments together and we didn't fall out tongue.png

No, they are 40K air and water and other stuff. Just because it walks and quacks does not mean it is actually a duck, not even in RL.
Walking like a duck and quacking like a duck is a good way to get classifed as a duck even if you're genetically a grebe, goose, or even a particularly odd sheep.

Iacton Qruze

Iacton Qruze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts
The pics don't really show it, but it does face out at a slight angle, instead of being straight on. But I can rotate it up and down, I just need to decide where I want it by the time I paint the power coils on the cannon.

FenrisWolf

FenrisWolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 698 posts
A face on pic would be really nice to see the positioning. Beautiful work! You may get commission requests! ;)

Iacton Qruze

Iacton Qruze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts
here's a top-down view that displays the angle of the cannon.

Posted Image

Wulfebane

Wulfebane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,335 posts
I think it would seem more appropriate if the cannon's aim was aligned with the skull "head".. which would be about 30 degrees like FenrisWolf said. No idea how you'd accomplish it cohesively, but I don't doubt you can crack it with these sculpting skills.

Also, I find the cannon to be remarkably un-wolfy compared t every other inch of the model. Runes or gold trimming or another pelt or.. iunno, something.. would help (for me). I just don't think the single GS gem is enough.

Edited by Wulfebane, 16 May 2011 - 01:38 AM.

My finished pieces & WiPs so far.
ETL_03_Custos_Fidei_Vow_02.jpg Img_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2012C.gif   18.jpg
gallery_17224_3229_261.gif gallery_17224_3068_410.gif gallery_17224_3068_874.png

FenrisWolf

FenrisWolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 698 posts

I think it would seem more appropriate if the cannon's aim was aligned with the skull "head".. which would be about 30 degrees like FenrisWolf said. No idea how you'd accomplish it cohesively, but I don't doubt you can crack it with these sculpting skills.

Also, I find the cannon to be remarkably un-wolfy compared t every other inch of the model. Runes or gold trimming or another pelt or.. iunno, something.. would help (for me). I just don't think the single GS gem is enough.

Agreed. I think runes or some other icons would be best. A pelt would cover too much and be overkill, imo.

Lord Ragnarok

Lord Ragnarok

++ DIMICATIO FORMIDOLOSA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 8,923 posts

What would you suggest with the plasma cannon? It is magnetized, after all ;)

For me, it seems a little high. Brining it down a notch to align a little more where the head piece is facing.
Posted ImagePosted Image
"This is not the first time you've been left to fate. I can see it in your manner. It takes something from you doesn't it? Being deserted hollows you out and leaves a void inside. People might say that it hurts, that the psyche aches from the wound. It's not true though. Abandonment does not leave pain. You wished it did because that would be better than the truth. It leaves nothing. Not hope, not pain, not forgiveness."

Iacton Qruze

Iacton Qruze

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts
A lot of the more barren looking areas are going to get freehand, so it should look more wolfy when it's done. it does also have the crouched wolf on top of the barrel.

I might see about working the angle on the cannon; I don't think it will be too much trouble.

Blacksad

Blacksad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,061 posts
wonderfull! absolutely stunning, I mean, WOW!

shame I can't see the pics, but judging by the remarks you get, it must be a masterpiece :lol:

edit: found out howcome. dakkadakka is blocked at work. will check when I get back home :P

Edited by Blacksad, 17 May 2011 - 09:34 PM.

I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk
alcoholics go to meetings.

SW 6th edition
Loss: 2 Win: 3 Draw: 0 Exterminatus: 2

QUOTE (Res Ipsa Loquitur @ Aug 31 2012, 09:05 AM)
*snip*
40k is a lot like smoking; they're both addictive and expensive, they both make you hang out with people who often smell bad, they both make you into something of a pariah
*snip*