Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Phoenix Knights - Expeditionary Force (1st & 2nd Cie)

DIY Deathwatch Imperial Fists WIP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
347 replies to this topic

One-eye

One-eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 478 posts

Hello all,

I'm coming back to 40k after a 10 years pause (children etc). I always played SM and again decided to play & paint them, this time a vanilla SM chapter of my own.
First step, as yellow and black are my favorite colors on a model so far, I decided to go that way. After several tests, found my scheme :

Tactical Marine

Sergent

Just before going to the mini plog itself, a brief introduction on how I see that chapter. By advance I apologise for the mistakes, English is not my primary language...

The Phoenix Knights are a recent chapter, created from Imperial Fists geneseed during the 23d foundation. From their genetic heirloom they got a stubborn temper, an inclination for defensive and mechanised tactics and, above all, a knightly behaviour. That last characteristic has developped more than any other due to the homeworld they received, Avagg II, a feudal world in the Helican subsector from which they recruit their neophytes .
Little is known about their beliefs. They are strict adherent of the Cult Imperialis, but it seems that the number of librarians is higher than in a standart chapter. Those who fought alongside Phoenix Knights tell that they are particularly cautious with their equipment and weapons. They also seem to have superior quantites of special weapons and armoured vehicles. Apart from that, they follow strictly the Codex Astartes, which is considered to be the symbol of the rebirth of space marines from the ashes of the Horus Heresy. Only the titles and nomenclature may vary from the codex, inherited from traditions of the 99 baronies of their homeworld.

Enough fluff (somewhat), here are the 3 first test mini, members of the 1st tactical squad of the 2nd company.

The chapter badge is a Raven Guard transfer, painted over.
Photo are a bit dark, my camera's crappy ... Hope you like it, the rest of the 1st tac squad will soon follow smile.gif

Edited by One-eye, 21 September 2013 - 09:52 AM.

DarkVen

DarkVen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 536 posts
Perfect minis... nothing to add

IMHO, of course

My WIP-thread of evil space marines [status: in stasis]

Chaos sorcerers and dark mechanicum work tirelessly to come back from the Warp.

Sigismund's Fury

Sigismund's Fury

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 68 posts
Wow love the shoulders, mind giving your recipe out for it(the teal on black)! :D

Mr Yellow

Mr Yellow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 695 posts
Really wish I could think of something bad to say about those...um...'scratches head'....um I don't like the colour.
P.S. I play Lamenters :HQ:

Iron_Adam

Iron_Adam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 151 posts
whats your recipe for that yellow, its gorgeous

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,189 posts
I can only echo the others, really nice work! :tu:

TRUESCALE SPACE MARINE TUTORIAL

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler

Mr.Malevolent

Mr.Malevolent

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,096 posts
That yellow is perfect. I agree with Iron_Adam, recipe and perhaps a tutorial if you dont mind.

Check out my commission painting service at Malevolent Miniatures

Dark Scipio

Dark Scipio

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,261 posts
Marvelous! One of the nicest custom chapters I ever saw. I like them although I tend to dislike custom chapters.
Signature not compliant with forum rules
[url=http://vassal40k.wordpress.com/][img=http://vassal40k.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/banner3.jpg][/url]
[size=10][font=Impact]Completed Vows:[color=#FFFFFF][img=http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1234521588/gallery_30308_3239_102.gif][img=http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/1234521588/gallery_30308_3239_102.gif][/color][/font][/size][img=http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/style_images/BCBlack/folder_post_icons/icon12.gif][size=10][font=Impact]Failed Vows[/font][/size] [img=http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_5811/gallery_11456_5811_7180.jpg][img=http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_5811/gallery_11456_5811_7180.jpg]

MagicMan

MagicMan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,229 posts
Really lovely models mate.

Have you tried taking some pictures outside (weather permitting)? Sunlight really shows up a model better than lamplight.

gallery_48988_6285_1353.png

One-eye

One-eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 478 posts
Thank you for you kind answers. I will try to take better photos for the rest of the squad (now finished).

Here are my recipes :
- Yellow : base with a mix of Sunburst and Iyanden, maybe 60-40 (to keep it bright). Highlights with sunburst, then sunburst + white, up to pure white (on the helmet for example). Shadows are made in mixing blazing orange and base, and with scorched brown for the last ones. Ah and I forgot, white undercoat !
- Teal : I have to make the freehand with white, and then paint it again with Prince August Emerald (838)... Shadows with Hawk Turquoise and highlights with white.

Hope that will help ! :D Yellow marines are a pain, but the result is always great I think. Would have done Lamenters, but I hate chess and didn't want BA successors ^^ (yours are really great btw Lamentermarine).

daemonclaw

daemonclaw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,380 posts
that is some nice clean painting

Edited by daemonclaw, 22 May 2011 - 10:59 AM.

i am the itch in the roof of your mouth,i am the sting of the icecream headache. i am the chill down the nape of your neck and the breathing in the shadows. i am chaos
DAEMONWORKS
http://www.bolterand...ules-and-alphas

THE TRUE WORD
]http://www.bolterand...-the-true-word/[/url]

Psy-Crow

Psy-Crow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 223 posts

Perfect minis... nothing to add

QFT Theses really are perfect, good balance of three colours painted beautifully. will be watching this very closely. After the tac squad what are you planning next?

http://www.coolminio.../artist/PsyCrow

Any votes or comments, good or bad, are greatly appreciated.

Jack Crowe (PsiCrow Studios) on FaceBook

Colour of the Week..... P3 Coal Black, Just discovered P3 but am itching to get more. Lovely to work with.

One-eye

One-eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 478 posts
I've bought a Sanguinary guard box & a GT squad, along with Mk III and RG vet parts from FW. With all these bits, i'm planning to do another Tac & Sternguards, a Captain and a librarian. All will be far more kitbashed than the first tac which is "standart".

But I'm currently painting a landspeeder :D

Lysimachus

Lysimachus

++ LUMINARCHUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 2,065 posts
Can't wait to see more! When I first saw the SMP pic I wasn't sure about the green as an accent colour, but once I saw the painted mini's I had to change my mind, it looks awesome! Beautiful job in general, especially the (very clever) work turning the RG badge into a phoenix!

Pasta

Pasta

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 29 posts
Very nice yellow :D

Pasta

Grizzly_bear

Grizzly_bear

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,837 posts
These are very....NERRRRICE.
"My brothers we have been sorely wounded and brought to our knees, but i ask you to rise from the ashes of despair, by flamer we'll burn, by bolter we'll purge and by blade we'll cut out the heart of the greenskin body, Brothers rise, for you are sons of Dorn, for we the Crimson fists and we shall never fail" - Pedro Kantor

"going up against Stealers with lightning claws marks you as borderline psycho in any case...."

One-eye

One-eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 478 posts
Indeed Cpt Lysimachus, I made a test mini before being myself convinced by the turquoise^^

Here are the 4 following brethren of the 1st tac squad. I've tried to have slightly better (brighter) photos.

Posted Image

One-eye

One-eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 478 posts
The rest of the squad's incoming

Flamer :

Posted Image

Combat squad leader :

Posted Image

Posted Image

One-eye

One-eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 478 posts
And finally Brother-knight Tully, leader of the 1st tactical squad of the 2nd compagny. He is the youngest sergent of the compagny, and the last one promoted among them, but his ability to take initiative and his predispositions to leadership earned him the confidence of Lord-captain Oberon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any comment appreciated :D

Dorns Padawan

Dorns Padawan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 744 posts
Very nice work tehre matey, I like the contrast between the pale yellow & the turquoise, looks quite eye catching! You certainly wouldn't miss them on a battle field haha! Really like the SM with the auspex.
QUOTE (keith @ Sep 12 2011, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad I can buy this in a shop and not a Black Library exclusive...

QUOTE (Drudge Dreadnought @ Mar 18 2012, 05:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But every 40k player knows that more shots = more accuracy!!!!!!!!!

Looking for servitors for blogging/reviewing on Armour of Faith - PM me for details

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,209 posts
Spectacular! This color scheme could be awful in lesser hands, but you make it shine. Love the subtle conversion work as well. ;)
gallery_23421_8142_1088.png

One-eye

One-eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 478 posts
Managed to take a group shot :)

Posted Image

The landspeeder is ongoing, followed by converted plastic sternguards and a librarian.

Urb

Urb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 69 posts
Ah nothing like completing a squad. Very nice. You cartainly know how to paint yellow well. Looking foward to the speeder. Will help me with mine.

Grizzly_bear

Grizzly_bear

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,837 posts
"you know what it is.....black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow black and yellow"

Sorry just had to lol

Again very nice sir
"My brothers we have been sorely wounded and brought to our knees, but i ask you to rise from the ashes of despair, by flamer we'll burn, by bolter we'll purge and by blade we'll cut out the heart of the greenskin body, Brothers rise, for you are sons of Dorn, for we the Crimson fists and we shall never fail" - Pedro Kantor

"going up against Stealers with lightning claws marks you as borderline psycho in any case...."

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,189 posts
Very nice stuff, this army just gets better and better. Love all the little touches like the reversed coloured helmet on the sergeant and the Mk III bits on the tactical marine.

TRUESCALE SPACE MARINE TUTORIAL

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler