Phoenix Knights - Expeditionary Force (1st & 2nd Cie)

One-eye

• 1 month later...

Long time no updates, but finally two more tactical members managed to get through. Only the sergeant left to complete my second tac squad wink.png

gallery_61390_6100_105180.jpg gallery_61390_6100_126646.jpg

gallery_61390_6100_7692.jpg gallery_61390_6100_40973.jpg

After that sergeant I'll maybe make a break for a brand new project (10k years older ? smile.png)

Your Deathwatch Kill Team is simply the best one I have seen. Superb. Love the way you have captured the character of each chapter rather than just painted a shoulder pad.

Your Phoenix Knights are top drawer also. Painting skill and modelling.

All the best for 2014. I hope you are as productive as this year!

@ Forte : thanks mate, your plog is the same :)

@ Anaziel : Secret ! But it will be more "grimdark" than my PK (which tend to be on the good/clean/modern side of the Adeptus Astartes). Expect battle damage & blood

@ The Yak : thanks a lot, I've put great effort into making small but characterfull conversions. Your compliment motivates me. & btw I hope to be more productive in 2014 :wink:

Bolters ? You can't do simpler than me. Black undercoat, grey lining. Wash the metal with badab black and then devlan mud (don't know new references). Highlight with silver. Done ! :)

Hope I won't be kidnapped. Need to paint my sergeant and begin my Legion.

looking at your minis makes me a better person

Quoted for truth.  Fantastic blog you've made here brother.

Can you provide insight as to how you achieved the color gradation and pattern on the phoenix talon weapon and/or what colors were used for the orange OSL on the plasma weapons?  They are both quite marvelous.  

I'm gonna open with a couple of admissions, 1) I skipped through just looking at the pictures and didn't read much else, and 2) I've become somewhat of a sceptic regarding DIY Chapters.

That said, these guys are awesome.  The little fluff I saw is characterful enough without being overdone and what many DIY Chapters suffer from IMHO ridiculous.  The colour scheme again is simple while still being unique.  You've established a strong consistant aesthetic and your painting is top notch.  I'll be keeping an eye on this.

@ jimmy101 : made me laugh :D

@ the chaplain : Thanks a lot. It's the same process for both, and basically what you can find for any flame or fire effect :  from black, paint reddish brown (scorched earth), then orange, yellow and at last white. Try to avoid red it's not realistic, and blend smoothly.

@ Asamodai : I basically agree with you, the fluff has expanded lately with a lot of chapters to pick up from, making DiY unecessary. At the time I created my DiY, it was far less, and I wanted a knightly chapter. Dark angels and black templars didn't fit for what were my demands : mechanized, "modern", and "good" (in the salamanders meaning of it). Btw I try to keep my fluff low profile and avoid overdoing it. After all, a young & unknown chapter shouldn't have won many campains nor possessing the best duellist/sniper/captain, etc... I hope to be able to write a IA one day.

And I think yellow + black > all :D

To conclude, I could have done IF... :wink:

• 7 months later...

After a long break, I'm back in the saddle again (@ Aerosmiths).

My hobby time will mainly be focused on my HH White Scars, but I wanted to finish the last member of my second tac squad : the veteran sergeant Eudes, one of the most experienced brother of the 2nd company, and his holy combi-plasma.

gallery_61390_6100_118232.jpg gallery_61390_6100_129298.jpg

A little view of the full squad (display cabinet shot)

gallery_61390_6100_197357.jpg

Thanks Anaziel ! I'm wondering if I should go on with 2 Rhinos for the tacs or something more appealing like a Stormtalon or Stormraven... (I have everything in store).

And to avoid a monosentence comment, I've got a half army group shot :)

gallery_61390_6100_57015.jpg

Archived