Phoenix Knights - Expeditionary Force (1st & 2nd Cie)

One-eye

Definitely go with the flier! A flier would fit the whole phoenix imagery perfectly.

Ps. Incredible paint work on the marines. The Terminator/Chapter Master(?) looks amazing smile.png

Yep, think I will go for the Stormtalon. I have to find time to convert it a little bit, I don't like the stock one.

And it's the captain of the 1st company (page 9 if you want to see him closer)

Phoenix -> bird -> fire bird -> FLIER!!!!!! By the Emperor, it shall be so! tongue.png Your command squad is just so badass.

Okay, I see the trend ! :)

Damn. These are just awesome

Thanks Dorns fist, yellow marines ftw !

I'd suggest a the Stormraven (and maybe a Stormtalon too if you can afford both), your fantastic Sternguard could use it for heavy fire support and rapid redeployment (especially I taking & holding objectives).

Fantastic to see this thread back!

Definitely agree about the flier, although I'd say you should do either a Stormraven or if doing a Talon, convert it with wings (or maybe do what I did and use a DA Darktalon as a counts-as). We need to see that beautiful graduated orange/yellow across the body and wings, looking like a real Phoenix!

@ Candleshoes :  I wanted a yellow / black scheme, and after trying the red as a pop-up third color, I was disappointed. I tried the teal and never went back

@ Sanguiniusreborn & kizzdougs : thanks a lot ! It'll be a stormtalon or stormraven.

@ Firepower : thanks a lot, unfortunately my hobby time is really reduced and I have to make choices. But I will certainly hop from one army to another, and besides the flyer that I want to complete in short terms, I still have a chaplain to paint, and black armour is quite easy to do.

@Lysimachus : thanks for your ongoing support, which is more consistent that this thread itself :) I like very much the idea of a Darktalon, but I already have a stormtalon... Might have to do something...

• 4 weeks later...

In the process of building my White Scars Sicaran tank (which is actually quite boring imho), I decided to "rest" in painting a mini which was built since a long time (some may recognise my participation in Grotsmasha chaplain challenge^^). And it went surprisingly fast smile.png

Here is Kael Jaqen, Ashes Priest of the Phoenix Knights, member of the high council of the 2nd expeditionary fleet.

Kael Jaqen is the youngest chaplain of the Phoenix Knights chapter, but after the Siwas campaign and the death of the great Chaplain Derdmor, he was given the honor to bear the Helmet of Faith, one of the oldest relic of the chapter, which belonged to the Imperial Fists prior to the chapter's creation.

gallery_61390_6100_98835.jpg

gallery_61390_6100_114422.jpg

gallery_61390_6100_40942.jpg

gallery_61390_6100_141621.jpg

I was looking for a different look than the usual chaplain skull helmet, and tried to achieve something close to a "Punisher" painted skull. Finally,it's closer to a NL terror mask... but I'm still ok with him.

After a long break, I'm back in the saddle again (@ Aerosmiths).

My hobby time will mainly be focused on my HH White Scars, but I wanted to finish the last member of my second tac squad : the veteran sergeant Eudes, one of the most experienced brother of the 2nd company, and his holy combi-plasma.

gallery_61390_6100_118232.jpg gallery_61390_6100_129298.jpg

I LOVE this guy. Great paint-job, and that combi-weapon looks so cool converted, I think I will have to borrow that. :)

Thanks everyone for the kind comments

Great use of bits but the thing that stands out most for me is the lovely depth on the gold! Been looking for a metallic for the trim on my Knight, recipe please?

Great Chaplain. I second the feedback on the bronze/gold, it is really nice. Looking forward to seeing that Sicaran!

Here's my "recipe" :

Black undercoat

50/50 mix of bronze and Gehenna's gold

Agrax earthshade wash

Nuln oil controled wash (only in deepest recesses)

base 50/50 bronze / gold again

Highlight Gehenna's gold

Highlight Auric armour gold

final dots Runefang steel

The Chaplain looks brilliant. I like that you used Khârn's head on him.

I thought he was close enough to a skull without being, well, a skull

The lords of the warp will without a doubt prepare a very special torture for you for desecrating Khârn's head like that msn-wink.gif But even so, the chaplain model is nothing short of spectacular. Fantastic job! smile.png

My chapter wait for them ! :p from such a talented hobbyist, this comment means something to me. Thanks a lot !

After a long break, I'm back in the saddle again (@ Aerosmiths).

My hobby time will mainly be focused on my HH White Scars, but I wanted to finish the last member of my second tac squad : the veteran sergeant Eudes, one of the most experienced brother of the 2nd company, and his holy combi-plasma.

* SNIP *

I LOVE this guy. Great paint-job, and that combi-weapon looks so cool converted, I think I will have to borrow that. smile.png

Thanks a lot, the problem is the first tactical sergeant is so dull besides him that I will have to redo him... :)

Simply fantastic work on the chaplain, its all the little details, the helmet's little winged skulls as an example, just really nice work!

Thanks, he's a 40k version of Asterix :D

Here's my "recipe" :

Black undercoat

50/50 mix of bronze and Gehenna's gold

Agrax earthshade wash

Nuln oil controled wash (only in deepest recesses)

base 50/50 bronze / gold again

Highlight Gehenna's gold

Highlight Auric armour gold

final dots Runefang steel

Awesome, will be testing this out later, thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Oberon is Fantastic! Your yellows are also very nice. Any chance you have done (or will do) a step by step on how you painted and what colours you used for Oberons spear. The finest power weapon iv seen. I'm just starting a preheresy fist force and this bloke will be the template for my terminators.

Cheers

Mike

Archived