Phoenix Knights - Expeditionary Force (1st & 2nd Cie)

One-eye

My only suggestions are that you paint more of them!

Great work.

On a slightly more serious note, the only thing that stands out for me are the Teal purity seals, i think it could have been a good chance to add a splash of colour when they have Teal eyes, symbols, adornments, patterns etc...

Not my kind of references^^ <_< Isn't Potter more linked to griffin than to phoenix ? Anyway (will ask my son^^)

Btw, I use the same Umbra ferrox FW bolters as your Lamenters, they're great (except I change them to combi-melta).

sorry guys, completely missed it ! /facepalm.

That tv show doesn't exist here in France so ... Yes I know the wizard boy's firstname is Harry but hey, could have been his uncle ...

I shoulg go back painting

The SG is really nice, fantastic conversion! The only thing I'd say as constructive criticism is that the green is a little overpowering, especially on the band of colour across the knee pads, cloth, seal and gem; I think I'd leave one of the pads in yellow, or maybe the cloth in plain black? Not to say I don't love the green, cos I do, it's gorgeous, but I think it works best as it is on the regular Marines, a sparsely used accent colour.

Still beautiful though. :devil:

Thanks Alaitoc :)

The second veteran knight of my sternguards is finished. This old battle brother was both awarded the Imperial laurel and the Iron skull through his long and glorious life as a Phoenix Knight.

gallery_61390_6100_3849.jpg

gallery_61390_6100_36588.jpg

gallery_61390_6100_861.jpg

The pose is a bit common (= static), but I like how he looks like shooting the alien scum :FA: I used a little less teal for this one, following your advices (thank you for contributing !). I like how they sculpted a phoenix (ok, raven...) on those bolters, they're so great when painted.

For the shield, this time I used a GK one, and painted it with a slightly different scheme from his battle brother, to give each one of the sternguard a specific heraldry. Knights and veterans !

A shoot with his (only...) mate :

gallery_61390_6100_22218.jpg

The colors you achieved on these fellas are downright electiric! Beautiful, I'd love to see what a vehicle would look like this vivid *hint hint*. Looking forward to more, man!

These are so cool. Well done army. The colors are great together. I paint quite a bit of yellow and I really like yours. It is smooth and bright and well executed. The posing is well done. I wonder what some color would look like on those backpacks. Great army and I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

The third sternguard will be a bit longuer to finish, due to an additional detail :

gallery_61390_6100_45885.jpg

just a teaser to stay tuned :cuss

Any comment or suggestion before I begin the painting process ?

WOW..... i think have the back of the banner like a bone white, and then the front your yellow and have the eagale black with the flame that gorgeous blue/turquise you have....thats my input

WOW..... i think have the back of the banner like a bone white, and then the front your yellow and have the eagale black with the flame that gorgeous blue/turquise you have....thats my input

I like your proposal, but the only thing I have a slight problem with is that the phoenix will be black and not yellow (firish...) The thing is, if I paint it yellow it won't be possible to paint the sun and rays in that color... Well, maybe I should make a few photoshop tries.

Thanks for the input !

The only thing I would recommend is toning down the OSL on the eyes just a bit. You have surfaces that wouldn't actually be reflecting light colored blue, such as the underside of the grill on the first marine. Of course, if you are happy with it, it is lovely painting. :)

You're probably right on that Brother-Captain Sharp. It's my first try at OSL, and I overdone it a bit. I will try to make it more subtle in the future.

Thanks for the input !

@ Lysimachus : :huh:

I like your proposal, but the only thing I have a slight problem with is that the phoenix will be black and not yellow (firish...) The thing is, if I paint it yellow it won't be possible to paint the sun and rays in that color... Well, maybe I should make a few photoshop tries.

Thanks for the input !

No problem and I see your dilemma, try the yellow front, black Pheonix and blue flame on photoshop :-D

Fantastic looking standard... I rarely see backbanners or standards that look worthwhile in marine forces, but this is looking like it's going to be one of the few exceptions. Any idea what colour/s you'll be using for your detailing?

Archived