Phoenix Knights - Expeditionary Force (1st & 2nd Cie)

One-eye

Wow, it's been a long time, but holidays and a very busy calendar at work have taken their toll on my hobby time.

I just managed to finish my third sternie ! Thanks all for the kind words ont the former 2, I hope this one will please you. The banner was a pain to achieve but I'm quite happy with the result. I wanted to keep the phoenix in fire tones, but then find a color for the sun was complicated. Again the teal has been my answer, even if it's not consensual.

I'm sorry, the pictures aren't very good and the flash has a weird effect on blendings. I definitly have to buy a new camera...

This veteran brother has received a special model of combi-melta, especially crafted within the holy forge of the chapter to let him handle the banner and continue fighting.

gallery_61390_6100_7597.jpg

gallery_61390_6100_1163.jpg

gallery_61390_6100_28721.jpg

And a group shot. The squas is (very) slowly taking shape

gallery_61390_6100_30473.jpg

Thanks for the kind words !

Actually, the wrist-combi is very simple to do (a GK stormbolter + a BA inferno pistol melta). At least a lot simpler than the 2 former ones, which are made from a umbra pattern bolter + standart bolter grip + multi-melta (the end cut in 2 pieces, for 2 combi-melta per MM).

Firstly, excellent conversions and painting.

However it has made me spend more money :)

Besides the very inspiring conversions of the FW umbra ferrox's into sternguard combi-meltas it took me a while to work out where you had gotten the head and legs from on some of your models.

Aftering going "Doh!" I went to GW and ordered some plastic Grey Knights...one of the few kits I don't have.

Never thought I'd say this about bright yellow, black, and green marines but you have some wonderfully subtle stuff going on there.

PS that banner is splendid. Is it freehand or from the plastic high elves?

Edit: went and checked the Phoenix Guard at GW, and unless I am blind that banner of yours is freehand. Amazing work :P

Edit: went and checked the Phoenix Guard at GW, and unless I am blind that banner of yours is freehand. Amazing work :P

I'm afraid you have to buy a dog ... and that you overvalue my skills^^

Just kidding :)

If you go back 1 page on this log you will see the wip of the banner. Actually the banner comes from the high Elf lord, a little bit "40kized".

Besides you can't go wrong with the new GK kit : it's full of bitz to customize vanilla marines, the helmets are great and finally you have everything needed to build a kitbashed librarian (I've done one and have to finish the painting process).

Show us your future conversions Marius (and thanks for the comment Jimmi).

Show us your future conversions Marius (and thanks for the comment Jimmi).

Alas my future conversions are in a time-locked dimension and even my TARDIS scriptorium quills cannot peirce that veil...also my neice has borrowed my sonic screwdrivers so I am scuppered for time travel at the moment msn-wink.gif

I did an early swap for GK stuff with a mate at lunch, and yes, you are right, so many possibilities for kit bashing my conversion lobe in my brain imploded. However I have concluded that as a quick win using their (GK) heads on my metal honour guard (based on the metal captains boxed set) would look suitably ornate whilst unifiying at the same time. I know that Cato Sicarius Roman legionary style crest looks awesome on the one I fiddled with.

So ta very much for the inspiration and GW thanks you as I have bought minis I swore I wouldn't e.g. plastic Grey Knights. Carry on.

PS regardless of where the banner is from it is still visually arresting, which is always a good thing. Xenos flith and heretical scum see that coming over the hill the only sensible thing for them to do is run...or kneel and await bolt gun absolution smile.gif

• 11 months later...

Like the phoenix born again from the ashes of time, this thread alone explains why I chose "Phoenix Knight" as a DIY marine chapter :mellow:

After one year lost in the warp, it's time for Corwynn the wise, Codicier of the Phoenix Knights, Spin doctor of the 2nd compagny captain, to show up :

gallery_61390_6100_13672.jpg

gallery_61390_6100_13556.jpg

gallery_61390_6100_69809.jpg

And a shot with (part of) the squad he usually leads in combat

gallery_61390_6100_132177.jpg

The Librarian is showed unpainted on the former page.

Be ready for next year's update ! Just kidding... I hope

I had a blog going and then I decided to move from Virginia to California, so all of my modeling stuff is in storage. I can understand what its like to have surprise hiatuses. :D

Even though your conversions are just kit bashes, they give each marine a lot of individual character. I love the yellow and the blue/teal you did for the eyes, purity seals, and heraldry on the marines. How did you go about doing both of those?

Well, sonovagun. I wondered what happened to this thread! Welcome back, man. The new mini looks amazing, fits in nicely with the guys you already got done.

Soooo..... about 10 more years, and your army should be done, right? :rolleyes:

Thank you for the kind words. Let's not be pessimistic, only 9 years might be sufficient (depends on the country's agenda :))

The 2 last Sternies are on course (Heavy flamer then sergent).

@Alpha PTP : for the yellow, it's always on white undercoat. Then a mix of sunburst and Iyanden yellow for base, add orange and then scorched brown for shadows, sunburst + white for lights.

The teal is based on PA 838 Emerald. Hawk turquoise for shadows, +white for lights.

Archived