Carcharadons

Just finished painting this guy.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/Machinepriest/Hobby/Carcharodonsmall2.jpg

It was a fun model to paint, even though the sculpt left a lot to be desired (The helmet was kind of messed up, but not nearly as bad as some of my other Forgeworld models.)

I'm a big fan of the Carcharodon chapter, loving their violent and mysterious nature as well as their colour scheme so I thought I would try painting one myself.

I just might paint up more of these guys and start a small force.

I'm not that confident with my painting skills and this is actually the first time I'm posting a finished model online.

(Really not a fan of the close-up photo showing every imperfection either...)

But I have to say that I'm quite pleased with how this model turned out.

At first I painted his eyes a dark blue/black with a white dot for reflection, but I decided against it and simply gave them a gloss coat of black.

I think it makes him look more like a violent killing machine :tu:

As you can see the shoulder pad is blank.

Still waiting for Forgeworld to put the Carcharodon transfer sheet up for sale...

Thanks for looking!

// Andreas

He is looking awesome mate, great work.

Not sure about the lenses - they look a little bit empty - your probably better going with a bit of gloss as you did before. :P

He looks great, i love that armour mark as well.

I can see what you mean about black lenses being good for shark eyes. Maybe if you used dark grey, and a dot of white to give them some more definition? Blue lenses would also look awesome... But less sharky.

http://airbuddy.com/23a56000.jpg

not really gonna add anymore to this as i think these guys have said it all.

All i will say is have some confidence in your painting its great and keep us updated would like to see more of these!

Wow dude you should not be worried bout your skills. That there is great! And I like the lenses, even before reading your reasons for doing them that way. Although I dunno if the gloss is showing up enough, you could always paint a gloss effect with a dot of white, but definitely keep them black.

The brown in the cracks of his feet looks great and I think it might work over the whole marine. Anyway, superb job!

Nice Space Shark, brother. Your painting skills are at least good enough to not worry about showing us. But I do very much sympathise; sometimes I get a bit nervous displaying my attempts model painting. You've got yourself a big, fat thumbs up here. ;)

Love the look of this model, and I agree with you; The fluff for the Carch Astra's is pretty fantastic in the IA. I ordered a unit from Forge World just to paint up because it looked like fun with all the retro-armor and the Polynesian designs placed around the armor and weapons.

I've always been a fan of the old-school Space Shark red helmet stripe though.

As for decals, I just downloaded a set from Bolter and Chainsword. Haven't printed them out yet, but they look like they will work fine. ( http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...mp;showfile=312 )

In addition to the transfers you can get from B&C there are tutorials on how to apply them. Invest in some mircoset. Works wonders. Tutorials for that also.

Makes transfers a breeze

Whoa, thanks for all the praise guys, it's really motivating to read that you're doing something right :)

Didn't think I would get so much response to be honest.

I'm working on another Carcharodon in full Corvus armour at the moment.

As for the transfers.

I think I'm going to wait.

I'm sure the sheet from Forgeworld will be awesome.

I'm already stocked with Microset and Sol, but thanks for the advice :)

Tagsta: I work mainly with Vallejo, and in this case I used a lot of their airbrush paints.

I love these as they have some awesome natural muted tones and they are chock full of pigment, plus I don't need to thin them.

I started by priming the model black.

I then airbrushed Vallejo Model Air: Dark Sea Grey (Fitting name eh?) which I highlighted with VMA: Light Grey.

I thought I would paint it with the pre-shading technique, but I ended up filling in the shadows with Dark Sea Grey in the end, so I might as well have painted the basecoat with a brush.

I then painted the studs/rivets with VMA: Bright Brass, a colour I really like. It's a very pale brass that almost looks like silver with a slight tint of yellow to it.

Next I did the chipping by mixing Black and Scorched Brown which I applied with a tiny piece of sponge.

I then gave the entire model a coat of gloss varnish to help with the washes. I airbrushed Future Floor Wax, or Johnsons Floor Polish as it's called here in Sweden.

I then washed the model sparingly with the oh so lovely Devland Mud from GW.

I then gave it a coat of matt varnish.

After that I painted some tiny scratches on the model with VMA: Light Grey.

These aren't very noticeable on the photo, but you can clearly see them on the chain-bayonet.

Again, thanks for the replies people.

I might just paint one more after I finish the one in Corvus armour.

And then another, and another...

Here's hoping the motivation stays, as I've never finished painting an army before, or even a full squad.

I'm a slow painter who tends to buy and build more than he paints... I'm sure some of you know how it is ^_^

Nice work !

Perhaps you should ask some talented sculptor close to your place to make a single shoulderpad sculpt for your chapter and make a small production. Will take less time, won't cost a lot and your clean painting deserves a bit more than a decal imho.

DS

Thanks peeps! ;)

Solid Zaku: I never thought of that.

I might try it on a spare head to see what it looks like.

I kinda like the metal Death Guard model with round eyes so it might look cool on a loyalist as well.

Dark Sensei: I'm quite handy with putty myself and it's something I'm considering for my characters, but for the basic troopers I'm going with the upcoming Forgeworld transfers :P

I'm finished with the second Carcharodon marine, this time in full Corvus armour.

Seeing how you guys seem to like them I think I might do some more and start a project log.

It might help me stay motivated.

Ok, so I've decided.

I'm turning this thread into a my first project blog.

Really hoping I will stay motivated enough to finish an army of Carcharodons or at least a full squad.

Picture time!

Here's the new marine I finished today together with his murderous brother:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/Machinepriest/Hobby/Carcharodons01800.jpg

Over all, I'm happy with how he turned out, even though I'm not a huge fan of the Corvus armour.

They just don't look as brutal with that big pointy beak!

I bought a set of five from Forgeworld, and now I feel I should have just bought another set of MKV Heresy marines instead.

Oh well...

In my struggle to settle on an army (I have planned to start more armies than I can remember) I've painted a few Marines just to get a feel for different colour schemes, so I thought I'd take a photo of two of them together with their mysterious grey-armoured brothers.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/Machinepriest/Hobby/Fourbrothers800.jpg

I'm trying to decide if I should paint another Carcharadon in Heresy armour now or if I should go with one in Maximus armour instead...

Thanks for looking!

Picture time!

Here's the new marine I finished today together with his murderous brother:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/Machinepriest/Hobby/Carcharodons01800.jpg

Over all, I'm happy with how he turned out, even though I'm not a huge fan of the Corvus armour.

They just don't look as brutal with that big pointy beak!

They look brilliant, though I see what you mean about the MkVI, it doesn't help that his brother has a chainblade bayonet compared to his little kitchen knife. ;)

Thumbs up, brother. Those marines look pretty good. :tu: I think you should go after one in MK4 plate, if you have one to paint. I would definately like to see the different MKs in the Charcharadon's colours.

The smell of blood in the water attracts more sharks...

BAM! MK IV Marine:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/Machinepriest/Hobby/Carcharodons02800.jpg

Pretty happy with how this one turned out.

The colour scheme really suits this type of helmet in my opinion.

Next up is probably a special weapon wielding Marine in Heresy armour.

Going to magnetize him so he can switch between Bolter, Plasma, Melta and Flamer.

Thanks for looking :P

Archived