My brain is a sponge

Hi Folks!

Well....

My name is Sam, im 25, and im brand new on the scene. Dont even own a rulebook. Just know it involves alot a dice. About 2 months ago i was round a friends house and randomly picked up a book of his. He seemed rather coy at first (later he disclosed to me that alot of people see this as a "guilty pleasure" ;)) but i borrowed it nonetheless. Well this book happened to be the Ultramarines Omnibus. Needless to say after the first chapter i was hooked.

Since then i have been doing alot of reading/listening (age of darkness audiobook), learing the history, i think i get the horus heresy now :) and trying to decide which SM Chapter to collect.

The last statement is my first problem. Just in the last week i have bought some Grey Knight Troops and Termies plus codex, Only to decide i dont like the rather boring colour scheme. My afore mentioned friend has started a Blood Angels Army which is very cool, but i dont want to copy him. I love the history of the Dark Angels but all the robes put me off plus i dont like bone white! The Ultra's are well.... boring (sorry), i love the colour of the Space Wolves but dont like the viking, beardy men look. Anyway i'm rambling.....

So i was thinking about creating my own chapter, is this someting for more advanced players/collectors only? I dont won't to jump off the cliff so to speak. Ive used the SM painter to choose a scheme (very Space Wolves inspired) But have no idea about the history side of it, i know Space Wolves sucsessor chapters are not recommended, so im thinking DA maybe. Plus this gives me chance to throw some wings about :) But have no idea about special rules for custom chapters etc? and yes im reading the B&C chapter creation guide.....

Any comments on this scheme are welcome plus answers to my other various "newbie" questions. Plus a name for my Iced Angels :)

Thank you in Advance.

sm.php?b62c=@hU2Lh_iakk7.hd0fp.hyvFn..@@@___@@__@_@@.@@@@@@_@_.@@@_@@@@_@hyvFn.@@@@@@_@_.hyvFn..@_&grid=TRUE

Welcome to the B+C!

For officialness, there really isn't much you can do for creating custom rules for your chapter. You could find which marine codex fits your style and play using that but with whatever paint scheme you like.

Any comments on this scheme are welcome plus answers to my other various "newbie" questions. Plus a name for my Iced Angels ;)

At least you didn't call them 'snow angels.' :)

If you want to learn more about the art of the DIY Chapter, come on down to the Liber Astartes - that's kind of what we do there.

I'd definitely reccomend reading some of the Chapters featured in the Librarium first though, and the DIY guide at the top of the forum. :)

And don't worry about it being for 'pros only' - if that was the case I'd have never taken part! :)

I love the history of the Dark Angels but all the robes put me off plus i dont like bone white! ...

So i was thinking about creating my own chapter, is this someting for more advanced players/collectors only?

Well the first thing I thought when I read your post was make a DA successor... and then you said it yourself! Keep the history and drop robes and white!

As for colour scheme and symbol... Anything is fine but is is better if you can bind it to the Dark Angels (if a successor) and/or the specific background of your chapter. Could be to do with their home world, why they were founded or the first member to hold the title of chapter master... for example!

Few crappish suggestions:

Brothers of the storm

Ohhhh I like this! Maybe chuck an angel reference in there.......

Angels of the Storm.....

Storm Angels....

Angels of the Tundra.....

Arctic Angels.... No people would call the the AA lol.

I really like the colorscheme. Is the grey going to be grey or silver/metal? Either way the idea is simple but pretty cool.

I was thinking of it being actual grey not metallic. But having seen that lovely silver on Nurgling6688's Astral Claws

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=226049

I'm gong to paint up a couple test models (when my paint finally arrives) in both metallic and grey base colours. The chest eagle can then be White or metallic.

I was thinking of it being actual grey not metallic. But having seen that lovely silver on Nurgling6688's Astral Claws

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=226049

I'm gong to paint up a couple test models (when my paint finally arrives) in both metallic and grey base colours. The chest eagle can then be White or metallic.

They are good, aren't they? :P Somewhere in the thread there's a recipe for the silver, iirc. If you can get that down pat then you can't go far wrong. :P

Welcome to the B & C, brother! Good to see that you're jumping into the Grim Darkness with both feet, lol. Anyhow, a quick thought for the name...Glacies Angeli. Just Angels of Ice in latin, but it gives the name a serene touch. Just a thought; good luck on your army build, and again, welcome!

Edit: Dang, witchhunter kraine beat me to the name, lol. Ah well...

Welcome to the B & C, brother! Good to see that you're jumping into the Grim Darkness with both feet, lol. Anyhow, a quick thought for the name...Glacies Angeli. Just Angels of Ice in latin, but it gives the name a serene touch. Just a thought; good luck on your army build, and again, welcome!

Edit: Dang, witchhunter kraine beat me to the name, lol. Ah well...

Those are the rules of engagement. Always check the corners and fire up the latin translator. B)

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Having read a few codex it seems a theme that DA successor chapters are "angels of (insert random act)" so maybe it needs to more along those lines like "Angels of the Storm" or "Angels of Retribution" the latter interests me greatly B)

Oh and would it be acceptable to use the blood angel wing sets for my jump infantry or veterans? Or is that heresy ^_^

Oh and would it be acceptable to use the blood angel wing sets for my jump infantry or veterans? Or is that heresy :tu:

Well, I did it, and nobody's come to exterminatus me yet.

Oh, except that one guy, but I convinced him I wasn't in.

So you're probably OK to do that. :wacko:

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Having read a few codex it seems a theme that DA successor chapters are "angels of (insert random act)" so maybe it needs to more along those lines like "Angels of the Storm" or "Angels of Retribution" the latter interests me greatly :)

Oh and would it be acceptable to use the blood angel wing sets for my jump infantry or veterans? Or is that heresy :P

The DA already have an Angels of Retribution successor around here. Personally I think 'Angels of the Storm' is a good name, fitting the colours. :)

Archived