Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mini Diorama

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
106 replies to this topic

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,643 posts
So I've been experiancing hobby withdrawals due to the loss of my hobby space (and the rest of my living areas), so this morning I began brainstorming for small projects that could be completed on my meagre kitchen table.

The following is what I came up with, from concept to it's current VERY W.I.P stage, in about 1.5hrs this morning.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

So as I usually paint Dark Angels I would like to paint this marine a different chapter, but am undecided on which, throw suggestions on me and when it comes to painting, I'll have a look at the most popular choices. Should he be an assault or tactical marine?

As for the missing head, it is my intention to file down and break up a skull and push it into some GS to represent a mashed-in face, and for the missing arm to be bashing on the SM's forward shin.

The base will be littered with all sorts of battlefield litter and some guard equipment.

As always C&C is most welcome and sought after.

cheers,
Jono

Edited by Grotsmasha, 01 September 2011 - 02:52 AM.

IronKobra

IronKobra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,035 posts
This kind of brutal up close affrontery really can really only make this dude a Blood Angel :)

‘Sanguinius will stand at Eternity Gate with tears in his eyes and acid in his heart, no matter what you and Erebus hope to accomplish at Signus Prime. Remember that, when your gambit there fails. Remember it when you face the Angel on the final day. Remember that I was the one who told you how it would really end.’

Kassill

Kassill

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,032 posts
Very cool looking diorama ya got there! The first chapter that comes to mind with this is Flesh Tearers to me, but that's just me. Cant wait to see more! :)
Lo, there do I see my fallen kinsmen, Threads cut by the foe I now seek. In bloody battle I will engage him, And carve my vengeance from his flesh. No ale shall pass my lips, At no feast will I indulge. No foe shall stay my wrath, Until my brothers are avenged. Ever shall I hunt my quarry, Across the Sea of Stars. Whilst I yet breathe, I will not falter, Until Morkai claims his due.--Bjorn's Oath of the Lone Wolf

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,643 posts
...it's funny, my immediate thought was also Flesh Tearers/BA, but that'd be sooo cliche, and I'd like to avoid it (i guess SW's are out too then....)

Tybrus

Tybrus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 889 posts
To be honest I see a normal Tac Marine from any of the none CQB chapters. I see a marine being over run and using anything and everything as the Bolters run dry. His stance screams improvised combat, not a dedicated CQB marine. If it was a Flesh tearer, or Space Wolf or what not, he would have weapons for CQB not just his fists. That Screams Tac Marine to me..

Brother Captain Tybrus
Imperial Fists 4th Company

"Dorn led his men into the heart of the Iron Warrior defences. The battle should have favoured the treacherous trench-fighters, but the Imperial Fists endured. They countered every ambush and fought their way out of every trap. Rogal Dorn was a colossus who personally turned back attack after attack. Ammunition expended, Brothers fought in half-flooded trenches with combat knives, giving and expecting no quarter. Eventually it became apparent that the Iron Warriors could not finish them." -Index Astartes: Imperial Fists

IronKobra

IronKobra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,035 posts
oooh...Imperial Fist!

Caption 'Nobody calls me Yellow!'

‘Sanguinius will stand at Eternity Gate with tears in his eyes and acid in his heart, no matter what you and Erebus hope to accomplish at Signus Prime. Remember that, when your gambit there fails. Remember it when you face the Angel on the final day. Remember that I was the one who told you how it would really end.’

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,643 posts
You can't fault logic, a Tactical Marine it is, and following on I guess the most proper and honouarble SM's would be the Salamanders? I know its still green....but what do you guys think?

GooseDaMoose

GooseDaMoose

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,063 posts
I have to say, seeing that guy painted up as an Ultramarine would be pretty cool. As long as he's got plenty of battle damage and looks really weathered. Some Smurfs gettin' down and dirty baby wohoo!

Oh and fantastic job btw! Love it.

Sadly, as much as I do like it, I don't see a Space Marine dedicating that much effort into killing one measly Imp. Maybe if he had some badass bionics or something, maybe a cigar laying around? People would understand that this is Corporal McClane or Rambo, and it takes more than a casual smack to keep him down :)

Edited by GooseDaMoose, 29 May 2011 - 11:58 PM.

Signature not compliant with B&C forum rules...
[center]Please visit my WIP blogs! Comments and suggestions are welcome :)
[url=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=259695&st=0&gopid=3160255&#entry3160255]The Goose's Den - Assorted WiP Projects[/url]
[url=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=213040]Sons of Malice, 7th Company "Batko's Blacks"[/url]
[url=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=224886]Untouchables; The Emperor's Sisters of Silence[/url]

[url=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=229147]The Labyrinth: Realm of the Sons of Malice[/url][/center]

[img=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/maverike_prime/Warhammer/winner_05.png]

Kassill

Kassill

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,032 posts
Yeah, that'd definitely be pretty cool! The Emperor's Glory Boys one the verge of madness and taking his anger out on this poor SOB that got to close! :)
Lo, there do I see my fallen kinsmen, Threads cut by the foe I now seek. In bloody battle I will engage him, And carve my vengeance from his flesh. No ale shall pass my lips, At no feast will I indulge. No foe shall stay my wrath, Until my brothers are avenged. Ever shall I hunt my quarry, Across the Sea of Stars. Whilst I yet breathe, I will not falter, Until Morkai claims his due.--Bjorn's Oath of the Lone Wolf

Zeller

Zeller

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,153 posts
White Scar. Do it.

Personally, I'd say it makes a lot more sense to keep putting them on the right. Anyone who questions your decision is a Communist.

QUOTE (Ashdown @ Aug 17 2010, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can play vanilla marines, however, it is a heavy burden to wield such shame.

gallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

War Angel

War Angel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,470 posts
if you happen to read any of the books from the black library, one comes to mind. "heros of the space marines" is a collection of short stories, one of which is about a young chaplain in the crimson fist chapter.

promoted to chaplain for his hatred of the chapters biggest foe, the orks, This chaplain drops one to the ground and begins beating it to death, taking off his helmet, spitting in its face and choking it while he tells the greenskin how much he hates his kind and how they will wipe his race from the emperors realm.

you should make this chaplain

edit: i had a question mark at the end of the last sentence.

Edited by War Angel, 30 May 2011 - 03:16 AM.

USMC based Space Marines, the Eagles Eternal check out their WIP blog at The Eagle Spire
gallery_45765_12339_49118.pngETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,643 posts
Dude, that sounds awesome, and I very well might make a second diorama with said Crimson Fist choking out an ork or bashing it with his helmet, guess I need to eBay a suitable sacrifical ork now......

Cheers,
Jono

Janitor101

Janitor101

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 79 posts
Carcharodons, this marine HAS to be a Carcharodon, they were renowned for their brutal and bloody combat during the Badab War, that guardsman could be one of the IG guys caught in with the Astral Claws and their lot.

Obviously you should use the more modern color scheme with the darker grey.

Also, I think you should have a bloody boltgun laying on the ground nearby, like the Marine used it like a club before switching to fists.

Ghostbear_100

Ghostbear_100

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 38 posts
Why not a White Scar? Don't see many of those, and I could see this marine being one of that chapter?
It's not heresy - it's Codex Astartes. And it's pure matter of choice - You either read and obey that book, or drink some ale and shout loud, while driving a hijacked Land Raider. -CaintheHunter-

malika666

malika666

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,884 posts
What about an Iron Hand?

Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,375 posts

Carcharodons, this marine HAS to be a Carcharodon, they were renowned for their brutal and bloody combat during the Badab War, that guardsman could be one of the IG guys caught in with the Astral Claws and their lot.

Obviously you should use the more modern color scheme with the darker grey.

Also, I think you should have a bloody boltgun laying on the ground nearby, like the Marine used it like a club before switching to fists.

Seconded.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

maverike_prime

maverike_prime

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,736 posts
wow! I like it! A LOT!

As for what chapter, at first inclination I was going to suggest Blood Angels or one of their successor chapters. But then I looked at it a bit more and it doesn't seem to say "Blood Lust" as I would associate it with the Blood Angles and the Black Rage. Hunkering down and beating the head of your opponent into a bloody pulp strikes me as being much more "Brutal" compared to being "Blood Luplease be quietl" . When I think of the Blood Angels and their blood lust, I think of swirling swords and cleaving axes, limbs being severed from the body and blood spraying out of the wound.

Then I was thinking of what Space marine chapters I would consider as being brutal and obviously the Space Pups came to mind. But the more I thought about it the more I thought that 'brutal' didn't describe the Space Pups that well. They're more viscous then they are brutal. When I think of the Space Wolves fighting, I think of deep gouging wounds, chain blades being driven through the body just to be torn out of the torso for maximum gore. So, once more the Space wolves don't seem to be brutal as much as they're viscous.

Then It hit me. Brutal = anger. So what marines direct the most anger against their enemies? The Black Templars! Who else are more likely to wield their very anger as a weapon against their enemies? The Black Templar praise the emperor and draw their strength from their own faith. The Fact that an enemy stands against them on the battle field is an affront to their own faith, for to stand against them is to say that they're faith is wrong and the Black Templar are utterly brutal in their execution of their enemies.

The Black Templar are the ones I would most associate with the sheer brutality of the Diorama.

If you're message even remotely resembles this:
"O foar teh noez dey schrewd Ka0z agen!11!!!one! /cry /quit" and "Ka0z iz OP hax0rz."

Please go back and re-type it. Seriously, go back and try again. I am not fluent in txtiese. I am capable of reading/writing/speaking 3 languages: English, bad English, and American.

Be Sure to Follow me on:
32_twitch.png32_facebook.png32_twitter.png32_youtube.png32_instagram.png32_pinterest.png

Leahcim

Leahcim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 57 posts
Very cool done ^^

Paint him Angry Marine! hehe

Only thing I would change is his fist arm. If he is to jab the dude in the face, won't his arm be more bend?

Edited by Leahcim, 30 May 2011 - 07:39 AM.

Hellios

Hellios

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,166 posts
The Minotaurs... their fury makes other marines look slightly disgruntled in comparison <_<

ravenguard2010

ravenguard2010

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 212 posts

oooh...Imperial Fist!

Caption 'Nobody calls me Yellow!'

YES!
Vinctorus Aut Mortis

wolf2.3

wolf2.3

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 140 posts
Crimson fist! Nobody hates orks like they do and the the scheme will draw attention to that fist he's wielding :tu:

Hyaenidae

Hyaenidae

++ VETERANUS GRAVIOR ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,326 posts
Marines Malevolent. They despise mortals at the best of times, I could definetly see a MM taking a break to knock the snot out of an enemy just because. Heck, 'Hatred' is in their Chapter name, lol.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

MagicMan

MagicMan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,244 posts
I think most marines would enjoy giving an enemy a beat down.

Nice diorama, man.

gallery_48988_6285_1353.png

AngryJohnny

AngryJohnny

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,306 posts
I vote for a Black Templar.

The diorama looks really nice. I do agree with Leahcim about the position of his right arm. It looks more like he's swinging wildly to beat the traitor guardsman. I think it would look better if the arm was bent in a more focused punch.

Another suggestion would be to use a screaming face for the head instead of the GS mashed in face. It would give it a sense of the Marine has just pinned him down & is getting ready for the death blow & the guardsman knows it.

my $0.02.

Wicced

Wicced

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 883 posts
i like the idea, but i got some criticism

first of all, it's odd, that nobody mentioned the legs or his hip.
the legs look like terminator legs to me and due to that are too massive in comparison with the rest of his body. it's very visible on his hip socket, you can see it doesn't fit into the torso completely.

nonetheless i like the idea and i think it would look ace with power armored legs...
'Death haunts the darkness and he knows your names! ' - Night Haunter -

check out my Night Lords WIP! now with fluff msn-wink.gif
Screams of Despair