Mini Diorama

So I've been experiancing hobby withdrawals due to the loss of my hobby space (and the rest of my living areas), so this morning I began brainstorming for small projects that could be completed on my meagre kitchen table.

The following is what I came up with, from concept to it's current VERY W.I.P stage, in about 1.5hrs this morning.

gallery_48988_6171_429454.jpg

gallery_48988_6171_192038.jpg

gallery_48988_6171_493708.jpg

gallery_48988_6171_568900.jpg

So as I usually paint Dark Angels I would like to paint this marine a different chapter, but am undecided on which, throw suggestions on me and when it comes to painting, I'll have a look at the most popular choices. Should he be an assault or tactical marine?

As for the missing head, it is my intention to file down and break up a skull and push it into some GS to represent a mashed-in face, and for the missing arm to be bashing on the SM's forward shin.

The base will be littered with all sorts of battlefield litter and some guard equipment.

As always C&C is most welcome and sought after.

cheers,

Jono

To be honest I see a normal Tac Marine from any of the none CQB chapters. I see a marine being over run and using anything and everything as the Bolters run dry. His stance screams improvised combat, not a dedicated CQB marine. If it was a Flesh tearer, or Space Wolf or what not, he would have weapons for CQB not just his fists. That Screams Tac Marine to me..

I have to say, seeing that guy painted up as an Ultramarine would be pretty cool. As long as he's got plenty of battle damage and looks really weathered. Some Smurfs gettin' down and dirty baby wohoo!

Oh and fantastic job btw! Love it.

Sadly, as much as I do like it, I don't see a Space Marine dedicating that much effort into killing one measly Imp. Maybe if he had some badass bionics or something, maybe a cigar laying around? People would understand that this is Corporal McClane or Rambo, and it takes more than a casual smack to keep him down :)

if you happen to read any of the books from the black library, one comes to mind. "heros of the space marines" is a collection of short stories, one of which is about a young chaplain in the crimson fist chapter.

promoted to chaplain for his hatred of the chapters biggest foe, the orks, This chaplain drops one to the ground and begins beating it to death, taking off his helmet, spitting in its face and choking it while he tells the greenskin how much he hates his kind and how they will wipe his race from the emperors realm.

you should make this chaplain

edit: i had a question mark at the end of the last sentence.

Dude, that sounds awesome, and I very well might make a second diorama with said Crimson Fist choking out an ork or bashing it with his helmet, guess I need to eBay a suitable sacrifical ork now......

Cheers,

Jono

Carcharodons, this marine HAS to be a Carcharodon, they were renowned for their brutal and bloody combat during the Badab War, that guardsman could be one of the IG guys caught in with the Astral Claws and their lot.

Obviously you should use the more modern color scheme with the darker grey.

Also, I think you should have a bloody boltgun laying on the ground nearby, like the Marine used it like a club before switching to fists.

Carcharodons, this marine HAS to be a Carcharodon, they were renowned for their brutal and bloody combat during the Badab War, that guardsman could be one of the IG guys caught in with the Astral Claws and their lot.

Obviously you should use the more modern color scheme with the darker grey.

Also, I think you should have a bloody boltgun laying on the ground nearby, like the Marine used it like a club before switching to fists.

Seconded.

wow! I like it! A LOT!

As for what chapter, at first inclination I was going to suggest Blood Angels or one of their successor chapters. But then I looked at it a bit more and it doesn't seem to say "Blood Lust" as I would associate it with the Blood Angles and the Black Rage. Hunkering down and beating the head of your opponent into a bloody pulp strikes me as being much more "Brutal" compared to being "Blood Lustful" . When I think of the Blood Angels and their blood lust, I think of swirling swords and cleaving axes, limbs being severed from the body and blood spraying out of the wound.

Then I was thinking of what Space marine chapters I would consider as being brutal and obviously the Space Pups came to mind. But the more I thought about it the more I thought that 'brutal' didn't describe the Space Pups that well. They're more viscous then they are brutal. When I think of the Space Wolves fighting, I think of deep gouging wounds, chain blades being driven through the body just to be torn out of the torso for maximum gore. So, once more the Space wolves don't seem to be brutal as much as they're viscous.

Then It hit me. Brutal = anger. So what marines direct the most anger against their enemies? The Black Templars! Who else are more likely to wield their very anger as a weapon against their enemies? The Black Templar praise the emperor and draw their strength from their own faith. The Fact that an enemy stands against them on the battle field is an affront to their own faith, for to stand against them is to say that they're faith is wrong and the Black Templar are utterly brutal in their execution of their enemies.

The Black Templar are the ones I would most associate with the sheer brutality of the Diorama.

Marines Malevolent. They despise mortals at the best of times, I could definetly see a MM taking a break to knock the snot out of an enemy just because. Heck, 'Hatred' is in their Chapter name, lol.

I vote for a Black Templar.

The diorama looks really nice. I do agree with Leahcim about the position of his right arm. It looks more like he's swinging wildly to beat the traitor guardsman. I think it would look better if the arm was bent in a more focused punch.

Another suggestion would be to use a screaming face for the head instead of the GS mashed in face. It would give it a sense of the Marine has just pinned him down & is getting ready for the death blow & the guardsman knows it.

my $0.02.

i like the idea, but i got some criticism

first of all, it's odd, that nobody mentioned the legs or his hip.

the legs look like terminator legs to me and due to that are too massive in comparison with the rest of his body. it's very visible on his hip socket, you can see it doesn't fit into the torso completely.

nonetheless i like the idea and i think it would look ace with power armored legs...

Archived