Winter Guard

maverik_girl

mav_girl, would you mind going into a little more detail on your own character? What weapon she uses, what does her shield look like, garments etc.. I'd like to render a drawing and then try for a conversion. As many details as possible if you don't mind please :)

Her background was pretty much inspired by this, http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...;showentry=6880 I might actually blend my fluff with Mav's.

Anyway, my own character loves using blades of all sorts. From knives to swords. She is skilled with the spear, as it's her favorite weapon when hunting game. Skadi is often seen with double swords during battle. She has dark long hair, and paints on red markings all over her body and face to ward off sky magic. She is slim and slender, and toned muscles. She is from the southern tribes, making her skin tone, a little tanned. Her shield is almost as tall as her, which she calls Baldur. She value's wooden trinkets more than gems or jewelery, because wood and wood carvings or any sort are very rare on Fenris, especially amongst the tribes. She has a mountain lion pelt, and bones, rune stones all over her :nuke:

I mean, I was excited and surprised to read about a female warrior who was a part of the Rout in, First Battle of The Fang.

I've not read this, would anybody mind providing a little more detail?

Tsuro

Well without giving too much away, all I can tell you is that there is a character in the book who is a Kaerl of the Aettguard. She is one of the thousands of mortals who live amongst the Sky Warriors. She was born in the Aett, and like all the mortals who live there, live to serve their masters the Rout. The reader is shown a different perspective unlike Casper Hawsers point of view, making her character and how she views these Sky Warriors very interesting.

first thing that came to my mind about skadi was Etain from the film centurion

haha great minds think alike.. taken from the "Tales from the Fang" thread, my quote below.

haha I realize that, and appreciate the effort and gratitude in how you handled it altogether. my thanks to you and everyone here! I'm more than happy to serve as a loyal retainer or space wolf serf. I've always just pictured my character as her and this pic, from the movie centurion.

Anyway, what do you all think about the name Winter Guard itself? does it feel bland or boring? I took that name out of the phrase... "until next winter" from the book Prospero Burns. Although the Sky Warriors in my fluff refer to the Winter Guard as "Shield Maidens", kinda like outsiders call The Rout, "Space Wolves" or how The Rout themselves are known formally as Vlka Fenryka.

So here are some options using my iPhone's translator haha;

- Winter Guard in Norwegian, Vinteren Vakt.

- Winter Guard in Swedish, Vinter Vakt

- Winter Guard in Icelandic, Vetur Vörður

Ares has a point that I agree with, which is using a sisters of battle figure. However I would only use bits from it. I would likely use the legs+torso and pull bits from the wood elves line or something similar. My we army had several decent female figures.

OK, sorry for my post, I've been at my buddies bar, read the posts but didn't refresh when I went to reply, looks like Mac used the we head though which is Rad.

Edit: This is what happens when i try to catch up on the forums while I'm at the bar, i don't read things fully. Sorry again. But I do need to say

1. I love the fluff. It's detailed, but not complicated and it works great. I'm extremely fluff oriented and I cringe when I read something that just doesn't fit in the world of 40k, but this makes great sense to me.

2. I shave my beard like all the other blood claws, but just as in real life, my beard literally blossoms overnight. I haven't had a fully bare face for 12 years now. Before being taken by the sky warriors I had a full beard even for being young. Shaving every day BLOWS.

3. Back on topic: I love the mock up Mav, but which torso is that?

I like Vinteren Vakt. Almost went with the third one, but Vetur felt too unrecognizable (from the "winter" root) and the second one, Vinter, was TOO recognizable.. the first one landed in the middle for me.

I know it's an odd way to choose a preference, but I dunno.. I like the "just barely" similarities in foreign words. Must be something in how I feel like I can alllllmost read it and comprehend, but not quite. :D

@Nrth, haha your awesome! I'm so lucky to have some of the best Blood Claw pack brothers in here, who all pretty much started here at the Fang around the same time. At least if feels like we all did.

@Wulfebane, I like it! thank you

2. I shave my beard like all the other blood claws, but just as in real life, my beard literally blossoms overnight. I haven't had a fully bare face for 12 years now. Before being taken by the sky warriors I had a full beard even for being young. Shaving every day BLOWS.

i've heard smearing squigpoo on your face helps against it! :)

Nice one wolf-sister, hope there will be more of it coming soon.... :)

Thanks, I'm working on some more fluff for my character, and trying to tie-in with Mav's fluff seeing as we both using the same minis and army hahahaha will update as soon as I'm done. Keeping it fluffy brothers of the Rout, hope you enjoy :huh:

Vinteren Vakt is pretty much Swedish :D Makes me shed a tear, Ive barely been home for 5 years

Vinter obviously means Winter and Vakt means Guard.

I know theres translators out there, but if you want to know scandinavian words and stuff with proper grammar, Im your man!

Wulfenbane, are you from around those parts??

ACT VI: Lost Companies

Skjald: who are you?

She-Wolf: I am Skadi, pack leader of the Vinteren Vakt.

Skjald: apologies, parts of my memory appear to still be in disarray. Vinteren Vakt you say?

She-Wolf: Winter Guard *says in low gothic* Shield Maiden of the Rout.

Skald: I see, Kaerl high guard. Vinteren Vakt is in Wurgen, war-cant and Shield Maiden is spoken in hearth-cant, Juvk.

She-Wolf: something like that.

Skjald: I am honored.

She-Wolf: honored you say? *chuckles* you amuse me skjald. I only live to serve, like you. The only difference between you and I is, I don't sleep in the cold like you, and you are far more valuable to the Rout.

Skjald: I don’t like the dark.. None of us chose to be there. We miss the firelight. We miss the sunlight. We’ve dreamed all the dreams they give us a hundred times over, a thousand times. We know them off by heart. We don’t choose the dark. We don’t like it.

She-Wolf: we?

Skjald: it’s nothing *looking amused* valuable you say? I’ve never thought about it like that. Why have you awakened me? why have I been summoned?

She-Wolf: it's not my place to ask, I was remade to serve the Fleshmakers and my Jarl. You and I are no different Casper Hawser. We were both rebuilt and remade for the better, to serve the Sky Warriors and not to ask questions, like a newborn whelp.

Casper Hawser: yes yes, true enough. The only difference between you and I, is that you’ve seen and been at more battles than I. *sounding frustrated* am I not fit to fight amongst the warriors of the Rout? I know how to fight! I know how to use the smile of an axe.

Skadi: we are all weapons for the Vlka Fenryka. Each of us has a purpose. Should the Jarl wish for you to fight along side the company, you shall. Should he wish you to return to your sleep

*Casper Hawser shuttered at the thought and quickly interrupts Skadi*

Casper Hawser: who is your lord?

Skadi: Jarl Ragnarok of Onn

Casper Hawser: Wolf Lord Ragnarok, of the First great company

Skadi: Yes

Casper Hawser: do my questions bother you?

Skadi: Yes *almost annoyed*

Casper Hawser: do you want me to stop asking questions?

Skadi: *grins at the man* are you that eager to seek for a true death? to sleep in the red snow?

Casper Hawser: fair enough Shield Maiden, Skadi.

The two continue walking in the dark halls of the Aett. The skjald looked cold, especially without his black fitted body suit like most skjald wore. Skadi hands her cloak, and Casper takes it eagerly. She is called the She-Wolf, gifted or some say cursed by Lakkan, the runed wolf. She has an athletes body, with noticeable female curves and a light tan on her skin. Looking strong and agile, yet her movements seemed almost graceful. She has long legs, and she moved more like a terran house cat. Casper noticed her long nails, and wolf fangs, both are strong enough to kill and tare a man in two. They were subtle, but noticeable enough from a second glance. She had long dark hair, that seemed to flow gently in the air. She looked savage, like those grim warriors of the Rout, but at the same time, Skadi was beautiful like all the Shield Maidens, and like that of someone in Casper’s past.

Casper’s eyes start to focus better in the dark. He could tell that Skadi was a taller woman, unlike most Fenrisian females. She had great posture, standing tall and proud. Her legs longer, like all the Winter Guard before her. Able to jump higher than an astartes, and run effortlessly alongside Fenrisian wolf packs. Skadi looked at you in the eyes when she spoke, it was intimidating and her eyes were fearless. Her eyes are like his, made to look like a wolfs. She was indeed a daughter of Fenris, and a warrior maiden worthy of the Wolf King's court.

Casper focused more on Skadi, as they traveled deeper in the labyrinth-like hallways of the mighty Aett. Skadi had many trophies, and rune stones that hung in her clothing. She had several pelts over her carapace armour. But she didn’t look bulky, or ugly the women from the Sisters of Battle. Skadi has a heavy looking shield that hung in her back, adorned with markings of protection, the shield was almost as tall as the woman, but it looked far more scarred in battle with a few bolter holes, and wolf tail talismans on the sides. Skadi carried a spear and two swords, along with several knives that hugged her ribs. But everyone knows those are just the tools, and that the true weapon are the woman of the Vinteren Vakt. Around her neck and between her breast was a simple wooden necklace, a carving of the Spirit Wolf totem.

Casper Hawser: So what has happened? the last I was awake was during the choosing of Jarl Arvek Kjarlskar successor. It was then that I met the first of your Winter Guard, Freija Morekborn. *Casper pauses* Her and I were very much the same, always asking questions, we were both the curious type. *Casper smiles* Landing us into more trouble and adventures along the way. Her and I became close... *Casper's mannerism changes, and Skadi picked up a hint of sadness in Casper's voice"

Casper Hawser: I’m told that she finally found the peace, she had longed for, while saving her Jarl Commander Enoch many years after I slept. I shall mourn for her, and honor her memory.

Skadi: what was she like? this Freija Morekborn?

Casper Hawser: she was a fierce warrior, stubborn but she was beautiful like you. She was special to me, as I was to her. Are all of the Shield Maidens beautiful? *almost jokingly*

Skadi continued walking in the dimly lit halls, while the skjald Casper Hawser followed from behind. Skadi did not know the notion of beauty, for she only knew death, honor and glory, worthy of a saga. *Morekborn’s linage continues to serve the Aett to this day. I wonder if this Casper had sired more of the Morekborns? Skadi thought to herself*

Skadi: I was not born in the Aett, I was taken by the Wolf High Priest Ulrik the Slayer. I’m told that I have a rare gift. A gift I know nothing about. The Rune Priest called littlbitz say he will take me away from the Winter Guard, and teach me in their ways. Under the watchful eye of the Stormcaller. But I care not for their magic’s... I prefer to be in the company of warriors, and of the claws. Forte, Greenhorn, Nrth, postal and the others

Casper Hawser: interesting

Skadi: *interrupts* the phantom wolves have returned to real space

Casper Hawser: the war wolves of Fenris?

Skadi: the very same

Casper Hawser: the lost warband of the true claw, Bjorn the fell-handed?

Casper: *looking excited*

Casper: the warband that was lost during the first great hunt?

Skadi: yes

Casper: *opening his mouth ready to ask another question*

Skadi: Fenris Holdja! The Fleshmaker (Wolf Priest) known as Max warned me about you *laughs to herself* I should have known better. This must have been another one of his test

(FLASHBACK)

hendrik: your emotions give you away Skadi, calm your storm and ignore the antics of Greenhorn.

Skadi: .........

hendrik: it takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous, and you are dangerous right Shield Maiden? enough to stand toe to toe against these Blood Claws

Skadi: yes... yes I am! *growls* I recognize my failing and will be sure to correct it

hendrik: good, or Jonas will have my head if I don't put you into shape! your going to be a great pack leader for the Vinteren Vakt one day, but until then you train and fight along side these whelps.

(END FLASHBACK)

Casper: a test?

Skadi: yes, to see if I would end up killing you, before you made it to the chamber of the annulus.

*shocked* Casper stops momentarily, and Skadi turns around, her eyes glow in the dark like those of wolves.

Casper: but isn’t it a Winter Guard’s duty to protect skjalds?

Skadi: yes, among other things, but you are safe for now Ahmad Ibn Rustah *sounding amused*

Casper: I recognize my failings and be sure to correct it

Both Skadi and Casper smile, almost laughing at each others quick-wit and carefully thought-out remarks

Skadi: their story needs to be told, and your tasked to do your job. Just as the Winter Guard do the same for the mortals who live here in the Fang, so that their names will not be forgotten in the history of the Aett.

The two finally enter the chamber of the annulus. Standing before them was Uncas the Warblade. Last of the Varangi, known as MaveriK by the senior members of the phantom wolves.

To be continued at... http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=211665

Thank you :cuss I plan to have my character eventually learn more from other packs, like the Wolf Scout's Growler and Mikal.. but that is another story in the life and saga of Skadi the She-Wolf, in the tale of becoming the pack leader of the Winter Guard. Who later, comes into full-circle with Mav's Skadi storyline, with Lukas the Trickster and Skadi eventually accepting her gift and becoming the first Rune Priestess.

...was a simple wooden necklace, a carving of the Spirit Wolf totem.

Mind speaking a little about this choice? The story was excellent and very well written. Could've come straight out of Prospero Burns and I'd have been hard-pressed to tell the difference.

Nice fluff Sister!

The only thing that confuses me is referring to MaveriK as Last of the Varangi, I thought that was the term used for Bjorn the Fell Handed?

Also learning from the other packs is a fantastic idea for cross overs hehe (And makes a lot of sense for acquiring various skills)

Good going and look forward to watching the development!

...was a simple wooden necklace, a carving of the Spirit Wolf totem.

Mind speaking a little about this choice? The story was excellent and very well written. Could've come straight out of Prospero Burns and I'd have been hard-pressed to tell the difference.

The Spirit Wolf totem was sadly neglected in the current codex. Mav and I wanted to bring back a little piece of 2nd Edition, under the spotlight. Not to mention, the Spirit Wolf for me represents, all the supporting characters behind the Space Wolves today. From all the unnamed humans (Kaerls) who guard/serve and maintain the Fang. They are the thousands of unsung heroes that go unnoticed, just as my Winter Guard are here today, more as a compliment to the Fenrisian culture, and to the warriors of the Rout. ^_^

Also the value of wood, and wooden items (Skadi's necklace) was evident in the early Ragnar series, when a young Ragnar was brought to the training camps. Wood being a rare thing on Fenris with the constant land shifting, tribal warfare, and long winters.

The Spirit Wolf is also somewhat a protection ward against sky magic, being a spirit. It's also a great reason/excuse as to why in Mav's story http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...;showentry=6880 Lukas lost his second heart. It's a superstition you don't want to mess with, and we wolves are very superstitious! it's a reason why, a few of our Wolf Scouts were pictured in previous codex with the emblem. :lol:

keep writing i love the fluff!

and...etain was killing romans. will skadi end up killing 40k-romans?

Thank you, but I can't take all the credit, it was mainly Mav who came up with the concept and dialog.

Roman's huh? well not so much! but in future stories, Skadi ends up killing a Dark Angel astartes, hiding out in a Hive World. He dies in the most undignified way, similar to how Tyrion Lannister, killed his father Tywin. Although she didn't know that he was actually a Fallen Angel *by fluff standards, nobody knows about them* Lets just say Winter Guard have longer legs for obvious reasons, running fast, moving quietly, and jumping high. But they can kick hard, especially with their legs reach. Their legs were remade to crush carapace armour with their thighs... should a shield maiden wished it :wub:

Nice fluff Sister!

The only thing that confuses me is referring to MaveriK as Last of the Varangi, I thought that was the term used for Bjorn the Fell Handed?

Also learning from the other packs is a fantastic idea for cross overs hehe (And makes a lot of sense for acquiring various skills)

Good going and look forward to watching the development!

Thank you!

Ahh this is where Mav's fluff merges with mine! Uncas the Warblade (Mavs character) was there at the burning of Prospero, belonging to a different great company. But was later injured after the fighting, holding onto life long enough to witness Russ break the traitor primarch's back. Anyway, after the disappearance of Russ, it was Mav and the few remaining Varangi, along with the other Jarls... appointed Bjorn as the first Great Wolf. Bjorn needed council, and the wisdom of the remaining Varangi. They helped the first Great Wolf become legend! MaveriK's lost company was part of Bjorn the Fell-Handed's warband, who all disappeared during the first great hunt B)

As for the Winter Guard... learning from other packs, is part of their training! Mav and I have this great story with the Wolf Scouts, referring to several movies such as The Professional. There is even a mention of fellow Blood Claw Nrth, who longs to become a Wolf Scout, being somewhat of an enigma himself. Learning from Growler and yourself, Skadi is taught the basics of the sniper rifle, going behind enemy lines and a professional's last weapon, the knife! going in from behind an opponent and slitting their throat from one end of the ear, to the other. In her other training, Skadi is taught the value of a blade, from Iron Priest Firenze. There are Iron-smiths, and then there are Blade-smiths! In later stories, Skadi bumps into the 13th, and Decoy ends up teaching Skadi the art of the blood eagle it's a gore fest from there! Decoy is somewhat disturbing when it comes to killing..

PS wait until Mav post, and updates the end of ACT VI: Lost Companies! it ties in with Battle of the Fang and our current codex, and known fluff. "It's so fluffy I'm gonna die" :P

Archived