Winter Guard

maverik_girl

(Some comparisons I've copied off the net)

Procreate (gray stuff) is not as sticky as Kneadatite (green stuff), and is slightly (a tiny bit!) more clay-like in its properties. Kneadatite is also much more elastic, and needs to be constantly re-shaped to hold sharp edges.

Procreate's fairly sticky when mixed, but loses that stickiness sooner than GS. It's a little more important to get the required quantities stuck onto the relevant surface, first.

Also, one of the more clay-like qualities is probably that it's very slightly water-soluble. Not that it'll dissolve into nothing if you huff your breath on it, but you'll notice the surface getting a bit more slippery if you slather it with lube water.

PC's a little softer, allows and holds sharper detail, and smooths more easily. These are it's main differences and advantages over greenstuff.

its all about quality, and type

there is milliput, and "X" stuff

green stuff is the most expensive usually, holds its shape fairly well, and is maluable for some time, it has one of the finest grains, and thus the best ditail, however, its rather rubbery so crisp edgs are often difficult

Grey stuf... is.. um.. no very good... to say the least, its what some ppl use to build but the base layer of something, it has more working time that milliput, but is generally not very good..

Brown stuff, this is simular to green stuff, but is much harder, its what ppl use to sculpt weapons as it holds its edge well, and can be filed, however it is not soo good for ditail, many ppl use a mix of grey and green, to get a better putty, that can beditailed, but also holds a crisp edge.

milliput, comes in 2 flavours... one cource, one fine. the fine one is more expensive!

this is what most ppl use to make up bases, and as a base on larger sculpts, its very easy to use, thins down in water, and is rock hard once dry, and thus can be filed easily, however its a pain to sculpt and ditail atall into it.

the fine grade stuff has more ditail capability, but, as noted costs more.

there is also some 'magic putty' [actual name] that some ppl get hold of, apparently the stuff is excelent, but its not sold in many places {or countries for that matter!}

all are usable with wet tools (ie use water as a lubricant) but X-Stuff is often better with some kind of oil [cooking oil is great!]

Hey MavGirl, glad to see your working on this project again ;). There are some silicon tip crafting tools (Clay sculpting something-or-other, can't remember the brand atm but if you do a bit of googling you should be able to find them) - these tools do not stick to your GS at all, and remove the need for wetting your tools down, makes things a lot simpler. A little pricey from memory, but if your planning on doing a lot of GS work, worth the outlay.

As to GS vs Procreate - off the top of my head Procreate comes as a single colour substance (Yes/No?) and is always the same in regards to it's modelling properties. GS on the other hand you can mix in different quantities (How much Blue vs Green stuff) to change how fast it sets, and I think how firm it is (Been a while since I've fiddled with it now). A lot of good tutorials out there for how to use it best, including a fur-sculpting ones on here;

Sculpting Fur Part I

Sculpting Fur Part II

You can buy big rolls of GS from ebay fairly cheaply, and youtube is a great place for finding GS tutorials ;).

for furry boots, why not use liquid green stuff? put a layer over the boot, let it dry a bit, then sculpt the fur into it (either with a wet knife, or a rough brush?)

Liquid GS is too brittle to hope to use as a sculpting medium and retain any sort of definition. It's really only good for filling... on such things like seams and imperfections, like failcast bubbles, etc.

Thank you all for your replies, it really helps! I'm going to start this weekend as I'll post something up :ph34r: just a quick question... Can I apply paint after using either the green or grey stuff or do I still have to primer it also?

It's always worth using primer as it gives a flat colour for your paint to stick too. Acrylic paint doesn't stick too well to plastic on its own.

It's always worth using primer as it gives a flat colour for your paint to stick too. Acrylic paint doesn't stick too well to plastic on its own.

You could also use a foundation paint.. those are meant to be brushed-on primer. Regardless, paint sticks waaay easier to gs than it does to plastic/metal.

• 2 years later...
Posted · Hidden by Valerian, April 24, 2014 - Threadomancy with nothing significantly new to add.
Hidden by Valerian, April 24, 2014 - Threadomancy with nothing significantly new to add.

Just found your topic and I really like the idea and you creativity guyz. 

Your drawing reminds me of one of my favorite crossover of Marvel between the New Mutants and Asgaard (Ororo with wings on her head too) and the models from the French Confrontation game for Drunes.

They are not enough feminine models in the GW production.

Being also more of a modeller than a player I couldn't care less about things that should be "codex" as my friends use to say.

And I like creative people thinking outside the box like you 2.

I think I have enough bits to try to model one.

It will be my first one in many years but I'm motivated!

Posted · Hidden by Valerian, April 24, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Valerian, April 24, 2014 - No reason given

Threadomancy(thats the word right?) to the eeeexxxxtreeeemmmeee. on the plus side; Skadi now that this has been rez'ed you should start posting updates again :D

Archived