Order of Saint-Gergory's log

tiny sam

talking of crazy heraldry, here is the wip on the a shield in the squad the checkers need a little more attention and I notice the top ermine has a forked claw :(

my fingers are for size comparaison

gallery_16134_6380_13028.jpg

mmm no reply...

anyway, I've been busy writing some fluff for these guys. I posted it in the Liber Astartes but ain't got any feedback for now : here

I've manage to finish the Knight-Sergent of the squad :tu: only 4 to go for the full squad!

gallery_16134_6380_8553.jpg

Comments and critics are welcomed!

thanks

two more marines, that squad is realy comming nicely!

standard bearers (a reloading marine!!!) and the one in a squad AoBR marines. They tend to be realy static but I found that you could easily put one without damaging the whole effect of the squad)

gallery_16134_6380_33285.jpg

gallery_16134_6380_10360.jpg

gallery_16134_6380_25678.jpg

Critics? comments? Things to improves?

definitely an adventurous scheme you have going on and most certainly on the right track. although that said being honest I think the blue yellow check is a bit over bearing on the scheme you have got there, its almost a bit hard to focus on it with that there?

I would suggest if you are going to do the check, try it in a more pastel palette, same colours but more... earthy/linnen.

other pointers would be that you have a massive range of things going on in terms of techniques and sculpting/conversions which is really good to see and you can only ever get better by pushing yourself right out there. I would take one of your aspects, IE robes, or checks, insignia free hand, armour.. whatever it is, and just have a right old practice on a bucket load of left overs, hell even on old sprue.

on the robes, there is a nice set of tutorials here on B&C where using a plastic sheet as a base layer then building up with long rolls of green stuff.

All in all your only limitation are the tools you have at hand as you clearly show talent to be built upon and aspiration for a grand and striking scheme

and yes it is frustrating when forum goers don't comment on work but never lose heart, and from my own experience, hoard tutorials, hoard things that inspire you and just go at it trying to replicate what you see. it will allow you in the future to represent your own imagery in a way that will blow the eyeballs out of our sockets!

definitely an adventurous scheme you have going on and most certainly on the right track. although that said being honest I think the blue yellow check is a bit over bearing on the scheme you have got there, its almost a bit hard to focus on it with that there?

that's however exactly the effect I want to gives, I want to gives them the "Chaotic" marking of the original knights army. (don't know if it makes sense). I've been very inspired for this army by picture like this one :

http://www.modellesmakett.hu/images/super/8044_English_Knights_Of_The_100_Years_War.jpg

Here is a group shot of all the banner I currently have in this army.

gallery_16134_6380_343964.jpg

I would suggest if you are going to do the check, try it in a more pastel palette, same colours but more... earthy/linnen.

Obviously want that, do you have a concrete tips for that?

other pointers would be that you have a massive range of things going on in terms of techniques and sculpting/conversions which is really good to see and you can only ever get better by pushing yourself right out there. I would take one of your aspects, IE robes, or checks, insignia free hand, armour.. whatever it is, and just have a right old practice on a bucket load of left overs, hell even on old sprue.

on the robes, there is a nice set of tutorials here on B&C where using a plastic sheet as a base layer then building up with long rolls of green stuff.

yeah i know wath you mean, my next project (sternguard vet) should give me the oportunity to heavily practice robes. I'll try to not rush it like that squad.

All in all your only limitation are the tools you have at hand as you clearly show talent to be built upon and aspiration for a grand and striking scheme

thanks! don't know what to say :)

and yes it is frustrating when forum goers don't comment on work but never lose heart, and from my own experience, hoard tutorials, hoard things that inspire you and just go at it trying to replicate what you see. it will allow you in the future to represent your own imagery in a way that will blow the eyeballs out of our sockets!

after all it our driving goal ;) (blowing eyeball I mean...)

Bretonia....er......ines!

that squad shot is actually rather nice I have to admit!

on the painting with a pastel palette, start with a darker colour and highlight with rotten flesh, spacewolf grey, dwarf flesh/terracotta, those very earth tone colours, obviously I say highlight so have a look for highlighting tutorials, although when I highlight I generally work with what is commonly known as "glazing"

The inspiration shot is actually really nice, and honestly I would look at practicing your armour and metalic paiting first as painting your marines metalics with a chainmail/white metal and a touch of regal blue will give you almost exactly near a base blue hue metal similar to that painting.

something to think about perhaps? either way when working with anything some say work in baby steps, honestly, look at something epic, attempt to re create it, learn where you went wrong and pick up tutorials or just ask how, but focus on one key area (mine at the moment is realistic battle damage/weathering) and it is still taking quite some time to get me remotely near pleased :)

Keep up the good work

Thanks Khargan.

I take inspiration for the Heraldry but I'm not sure about the bluish armor I'll stay with dark iron (that doesn't said I won't try to improve my technique on it :P)

I almost have finished the two last marines (still have a problems with one's hand)

so I have attack the basing.

have you ever realised the quantity of free plasticard that just lay their, for the taking :)

here is what I have for now :

gallery_16134_6380_697215.jpg

and after some proper cutting.

gallery_16134_6380_88510.jpg

it's raining so I can't primed outside, and I can't primed inside due to this bad boy (wich name is Horus :() so It'll have to wait to tomorow

gallery_16134_6380_85904.jpg

I finished the squad and put the result on the Hall of fame : Here

I began the work on my Sternguard. these are going to be a training ground for cloth.

While the hot blooded brothers join the rank of the vanguard knights, the most pious and methodical ones are offered a place among the sternguards knights.

this first shot is an early WIP. I'm planning on building him a robe, magnetising the weapon arm (heavy flammer or Bolter) also he should have a rosary in his hand and the paint job will reveal a wound on the head with a broken helmet on the floor.

gallery_16134_6380_16674.jpg

comments, critics, suggestion?

Other than the gun being really big, pushing the limit on being over-sized? Nah. You might want to check out Nighthunter's thread, his latest update has some awesome devastators.

mmm I was having the impression that the size was in the line of the others heavy weapons

gallery_16134_6380_278865.jpg

maybe I could convert my heavy flamer from the dreadnought's one, which is a bit smaller?

Hmmmm, my bad. Otherwise, still good :rolleyes:

let put that on perspective effect <_<

Tonight work, the hand and the the medaillon of the rosary need a little more work but I need to wait a bit to let it cure.

gallery_16134_6380_78369.jpg

and i did some work on the sergent.

gallery_16134_6380_97089.jpg

I know it may be a little late now, but for the praying hand, I would suggest putting both strands through the closed hand, with the medallion a little closer to the hand.

On to the rest of your army, I have to admit when this WIP thread first popped up, I was sceptical, but now I'm really liking the individuallity of each mini, while still being identifiable of part of the larger army. Keep 'm coming I look forward to more.

Cheers,

Jono

thanks for the comments

I'm troubled by your suggestion on the rosary as I always figured praying with a rosary this way

http://us.cdn1.123rf.com/168nwm/shawnhempel/shawnhempel1101/shawnhempel110100077/8747267-close-up-of-male-hands-praying-with-rosary.jpg

and like grot has said it's a little late (it would mean to scrap the hand at all...)

the laurel thing came directly from the GW sternguard box ;)

here are some more progress with the sternguards.

the Sergent now has a part of his robe, the fold will be done after. (the monkey arm effect is partially due to the blue tac failing and the fact that space wolves have monkey power fist.)

gallery_16134_6380_122420.jpg

the praying marine, he'll get a robe eventually. if someone have an idea for the beads of the rosary, I have no clue on how I'm going to do that...

gallery_16134_6380_169631.jpg

and two more veterans

the auspex guy (with a "kustom" bolter if you know what I mean :woot:)

gallery_16134_6380_243240.jpg

and the combi-plasma guy (the bolter is magnetise so it can be switch for a standard one)

I'm kind of lost on what to do with the other arm, as the position of the weapons prevent him to hold it.

gallery_16134_6380_114906.jpg

Loving your work mate, I really liked your IA and the Knights themselves are superb, if your still looking for names try some of these:

Godfrey

Baldwin

Bohemond

Tancred

Ill see what other names I come up with if you like

And I agree with Thirst, lower the Boltgun and maybe a combat blade for the last sternguard??

Archived