Lanz'z Legends; Hello Darkness, my old friend...

Go to solution Solved by Interrogator Stobz,

I tried to get a DW squad up from scratch, but real life interrupted too many times this fortnight. So instead I decided to redo one of my current DW squads and Land Raider ride to raise their painted standard in order to motivate me to do the new squad.

What do you think?

https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6138/6037859226_7e16124a97_o.jpg

the log continues to roll....

s

edit-sp

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

This is so SO impressive!!! I really like your work man! So tidy! I also like the red detail (the green is much more common) and the fact that you went for bone-ish chest eagles! Pronounces the red even more!

My only commentis the little green highlights in the waist plates - I don't think they add much to the big picture...

Do you have any tips on how to add the transfers? When I do it they look wrinly and glossy...

Keep it up! this is great stuff!

Cheers Captain S, do you trim all the excess transfer off prior to wetting? I find when I do that they lay flatter. failing that add a wash of acetone (from a paint brush) to mold the transfer to the model.

The green trim was added because I added some fancy bits to my Belial and wanted all my DW to have a little visual consistency. I hope it doesn't wreck them though.

here is B with his extra bits;

https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6200/6038003878_187aa39286_o.jpg

That's why I did it, should I remove them?

Don't you dare touch this Belial!!! Obviously I did not consider this detail. They look fab regardless.

Aceton did you say? Hmmmm... I'll try it out.

Once again I only wish I could treat white to your level. Congrats!

Stobz, they look awesome! You did a great job with the heraldry shields. I think perhaps if you did the aquilas and other chest icons with a different color, it might stand out a little more, like the DW red or something, but they look awesome over all! Good show! :D

I am seriously considering stealing your Belial.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

Thanks to your feedback, I've put even more green trim on, a little seemed out of place so hopefully more is more :D

I also darkened the aquillas etc(a little), I also didn't really like them so monochome, I had over highlighted them and I hope they are better now.

Any C'n'C?

https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6182/6047165068_8ee80f4700_o.jpg

How does Deathwing Brother Veskh look without his helmet? better?

Log creeps forward... once I'm happy with how they are going to be I can start new squads ;)

s

The unit looks great. Very crisp clean bone painting and nice details. The raider looks good with all those extra bits from the RW sprue. I did the same to my raider(although my stuff is black paint scheme).

Very well painted Deathwing there, Stobz. Very crisp and clear. How did you achieve the bone colouring? Have you considered doing a tutorial for the Board?

The green lining works, although I wasn't initially sure about it on the shoulder pads. I arther like it, but I wouldn't put too much on - your Deathwing look so good in part because of their clean lines, so you don't want to break that up too much.

Thanks guys,

I am struggling a little concept wise with my DW. Those that followed my Belial WIP will know I had a solid plan for him to bring him in line with my existing DW (white and red). As that project advanced I realised my colour scheme made my Belial and DW too different visually to my GW and on the shelf they looked like two completely different armies.

I added the green trim to help bring him back into line, it seemed to work. For lack of a better idea to get green onto the rest of my models I've added similar trim to my DW. I just hope it doesn't make them diverge too far from a DW scheme.

Mr Fish, my white is easy as pie and for those who are interested I do the following:

Spray paint Matt White, two coats.

Basecoat other bits(Mechrite red bits, Chainmail metal bits and Dheneb Stone for the Crux etc)

'Black' line all the recessess with OOP Brown Ink(I stockpiled 3 tubs once GW binned them :D ), this takes ages to do carefully,

Black wash metal bits and Brown ink all the red and grey bling,

Fix errors with skull white,

Add devlan mud wash to same areas as the brown ink, this time getting outside the recesses and underneath bits that need shading.

Add trim and top coat bling,

Fix errors with skull white.

Highlight Bling and add other detail,

Done.

Sounds easy, but it is a slow process because working dark to light over white needs a steady hand. Fixing the errors at the stages I mentioned is important too.

Hope that helps, I'm probably not really a creative enough dude to be writing up tutorials ;)

s

I thought I had replied about an hour ago, maybe a glitch in the matrix, here I go again...

Hi Keith, long time no see, how's that DA army of yours coming? get to work and some pics mate ;)

If anyone notices my models getting their ChrismasWing gear on please notify me immediately and I'll purge the Heretic :)

I am about half way through another tactical squad, should be done by the end of the week, all going well....

Cheers for the comments

s

Hi Keith, long time no see, how's that DA army of yours coming? get to work and some pics mate -_-

Funny you should mention that... Well it kinda stopped, I moved onto Iron Hands and then dabbled with the Crimson Fists - However, something didn't feel right, then after reading Savage Weapons and the Siege of Vraks, I kit bashed a new Company Master using the DA veterans box and the obscene pile of Forge World parts I have just lying around and I've started a new force up - which I intend to stick with this time!!

Keep up the good work, I need ideas to steal, erm I mean inspiration... :D

If anyone notices my models getting their ChrismasWing gear on please notify me immediately and I'll purge the Heretic :P

I don't think you need to worry about that. They're amazing models. Well done! The white is particularly beautiful.

Hey Stobz, I'm new to B&C and the Dark Angels and I've got to say your army is outstanding. I especially love the Deathwing models but all of your painting is first-rate. I do have a question about the shoulder decals. I have tried and tried to get mine to lay flat but to no avail. Yours look perfect...what's the trick?

Thanks,

dp

Doompatrol, cheers for the comments and welcome to the Rock.

For flat transfers I recommend getting a scalpel and scoring through the edges of the transfer itself but not the blue paper it sits on prior to wetting, that way there are no unsightly borders (unfortunately many of my vehicles weren't done that carefully, I might have some work to do).

Because you are trying to stick a flat surface onto a round one I also recommend a couple of careful cut lines into the transfer to enable it to wrap better.

Once dry I wash the transfer with acetone (my wife's nail polish remover), this melts the transfer a little bit and when it dries it lies even flatter. Don't worry about little wrinkles befor it dries, they usually fix themselves.

Hope that helps.

Keith:Unless people mean to come around to my home and 'steal' ;):wink: my models I hope to see many more cool DA armies PICS!!!!! from the fraters here.

s

Edited by Stobz

Sorry to interrupt peeps doin' what you are doin' :P

I'm back on the greenwing Log and managed to finish Vet. Sgt. Ignate with his 4th(Tactical) Squad and their Rhino/Razorback.

Here he is for your perusal...

https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6203/6092286674_c6b8efb463_o.jpg

"It rolls down stairs, it rolls in pairs....."

56 down, 51 to go....

Cheers

Stobz