The banishment of an'ggrath

Regem Nox

pretty much what the title says.

I find it hard to believe that an'ggrath was banished by an inquisitor and that skarbrand was banished by dante.

Two of the greatest warriors in the universe get banished by mortals, how did this happen?

• 3 weeks later...

Being in the mortal realm isnt natural for demons. It takes alot of energy and support to keep a daemonic presence going.

That this can be exploited to get rid of them is hardly suprising.

Being in the mortal realm isnt natural for demons. It takes alot of energy and support to keep a daemonic presence going.

That this can be exploited to get rid of them is hardly suprising.

^This. Look at it this way. You'd never expect several guys with spears to be able to take down a Mammoth; point for point the Mammoth has massive strength, armor, and hp...and the guys are nekkid and have crappy spears. The advantage they have is that they're humans and thus they use their wit and quick-thinking to win the day.

This is the crux of so many story plots, no? The one thing humanity has going for it (insofar as many authors are concerned) is smarts. If physical combat power was all that mattered, there are several other species on the planet that would be running the show. (Think: dinosaurs.) Why should it be any different here?

The Inquisitor is not, point-for-point, a stand up match for a massive super demon thingy. However, he's got wit and quick-thinking as a human, and so he wins through trickery and shenanigans.

Well and its not even that all daemons are slavering mindless monsters- many arent- its that in the mortal world theyre a 16' tall killbot that can rip apart a tank platoon.... with an extension cord hooked into the wall as their power source.

• 2 months later...

Well, the real answer is plot armor. The good guys have to win.

The inquisitor didn't defeat An'ggrath by outsmarting him, it said that he defeated him in personal combat using an artifact sword and a bunch of Grey Knights. I really don't know how he got close enough to use a human sized sword against a flying daemon that is as big as a Titan, and can easily crush said Titans in close combat, and then won by hitting him with that sword... but... you know. Plot armor. Maybe An'ggrath got sleepy and decided to take a nap on the battlefield after getting drunk drinking too much Grey Knight blood, and the Inquisitor snuck up and stabbed him, and the Emperor's blessing banished him. Who knows.

Well... just out of curiosity, when did Angron become the size of a titan?

He isn't. An'ggrath isn't Angron. An'ggrath is the strongest bloodthirster, not a daemon prince. He's huge, and is represented on the tabletop with that massive Forge World bloodthirster model. Also, he isn't as big as the bigger Titans, but he can compete in size with Warhounds (his model is about 9 inches tall with an 11 inch wingspan, where a Warhound Titan is maybe 10 and a half inches tall). And even though he isn't as big some of the larger Titans, he eats them in close combat. Seriously, if you ever see An'ggrath in an Apocalypse game, don't let him anywhere near your Titans, superheavies, and the like.

I may have to read the Imperial armor 7 again, but if I remember correctly it was in single combat with Hector Rex, and by single combat, I mean with (i believe) an entire company of Grey knights thrown into battle before him.

Also, I believe that when Anggranth was finally brought down the demonic invasion was already beginning to falter, weakening the demons ties to the mortal realm. It is important to remember that these heroic fights don't happen right when the demon lords are summoned. The demon lords generally don't fall until they are knee deep in the blood of their enemies, its not like they get one-punched as they step through the summoning portal.

An'ggrath = shark. The Warp = water. I reckon I could kill a shark if I found one in a duck pond and had the appropriate tools, a shark so big and mean and powerful that it could barely move or breathe, had been there for weeks and had been stabbed and shot by loads of things before I even got there.

Put me in the ocean with the fully fit shark and...well...no.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, Siege of Vraks III considerably predates Ward's Grey Knights codex. And wasn't written by Ward, either.

Well, he's become so infamous for characters like Draigo that it is only natural to call similar effects by his name. After all, somebody who had diabetes in ancient Greece still had diabetes, even though the condition had not been named yet.

Meh, An'grath's not that tough. I killed him with a vortex grenade and a woman with a stick (Saint Celestine). :)

Admittedly, old Celestine, with the Strength 7, 2++ save and comes-back-to-life-on-a-Ld-check.

Archived