Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The banishment of an'ggrath

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Regem Nox

Regem Nox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 90 posts
  • Chapter Name: Night lords, Thousand Sons
pretty much what the title says.
I find it hard to believe that an'ggrath was banished by an inquisitor and that skarbrand was banished by dante.
Two of the greatest warriors in the universe get banished by mortals, how did this happen?
Regem Nox

Ave Dominus Nox.

All is dust.

For the lion!

Into the fires of battle, Unto the anvil of war!

mrtn

mrtn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 118 posts
Plot armour, "the good guys must win".
668 the Neighbour of the Beast
Warhammer Fantasy Mod 2.5 for Civilization III Conquests
My Southland Beastmen and Mortals
Fingers are like onions, if you cut them, you cry
Living by Stockholm Rude Time (GMT +1)
Make your own Chaos Warrior
My Skaven
My Nurglings
mrtn's dirty rotters

caboosebe

caboosebe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 289 posts
  • Chapter Name: /

Plot armour, "the good guys must win".

This :)

blamb

blamb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 694 posts
if i recall corectly An'grath was banished by an inquisitor and a large number of grey knights

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,721 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Host of the Graven Image
And said Inquisitor was directly blessed by the Emperor.
QUOTE (A D-B @ Feb 2 2011, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Lord_Caerolion @ Feb 1 2011, 03:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

Talon Darkshade

Talon Darkshade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 206 posts
History is written by the victor. What the inquistion thinks is banishment is probably no more then the daemon sitting in the warp laying out it's next attack.
"Innocence Proves Nothing"

Blog: Tides of Madness

Army: Death Guard

Grey Mage

Grey Mage

++ ARCTOS CAELIFERUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 18,613 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves.
Being in the mortal realm isnt natural for demons. It takes alot of energy and support to keep a daemonic presence going.

That this can be exploited to get rid of them is hardly suprising.
QUOTE (Wolf Guard Dan @ Dec 28 2009, 06:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When in doubt- Grey Mage.
QUOTE (thade @ Jun 7 2011, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, Hammernators are for pansies. There, I said it.

Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,313 posts
  • Chapter Name: Spacewolves
Its the Matt Effect.
There are no Deamons in 40k

thade

thade

++ VELOX CLAMATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,524 posts
  • Chapter Name: Red Shields

Being in the mortal realm isnt natural for demons. It takes alot of energy and support to keep a daemonic presence going.

That this can be exploited to get rid of them is hardly suprising.

^This. Look at it this way. You'd never expect several guys with spears to be able to take down a Mammoth; point for point the Mammoth has massive strength, armor, and hp...and the guys are nekkid and have crappy spears. The advantage they have is that they're humans and thus they use their wit and quick-thinking to win the day.

This is the crux of so many story plots, no? The one thing humanity has going for it (insofar as many authors are concerned) is smarts. If physical combat power was all that mattered, there are several other species on the planet that would be running the show. (Think: dinosaurs.) Why should it be any different here?

The Inquisitor is not, point-for-point, a stand up match for a massive super demon thingy. However, he's got wit and quick-thinking as a human, and so he wins through trickery and shenanigans.
QUOTE. In the book called "Core Rules". Page 14. Top Left Inset. In the chapter called "General Principles."
"Your responsibility isn't just to follow the rules, it's also to add your own ideas, drama and creativity to the game. Much of the appeal of this game lies in the freedom and open-endedness that this allows; it is in the spirit that the rules have been written."

QUOTE.  Silent Requiem
"About my list; it is weak. But it fits me, and that counts for a lot more than any amount of mathammer." 

Grey Mage

Grey Mage

++ ARCTOS CAELIFERUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 18,613 posts
Well and its not even that all daemons are slavering mindless monsters- many arent- its that in the mortal world theyre a 16' tall killbot that can rip apart a tank platoon.... with an extension cord hooked into the wall as their power source.

Furniture

Furniture

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 95 posts
  • Chapter Name: Imperial Fists
Well, the real answer is plot armor. The good guys have to win.

The inquisitor didn't defeat An'ggrath by outsmarting him, it said that he defeated him in personal combat using an artifact sword and a bunch of Grey Knights. I really don't know how he got close enough to use a human sized sword against a flying daemon that is as big as a Titan, and can easily crush said Titans in close combat, and then won by hitting him with that sword... but... you know. Plot armor. Maybe An'ggrath got sleepy and decided to take a nap on the battlefield after getting drunk drinking too much Grey Knight blood, and the Inquisitor snuck up and stabbed him, and the Emperor's blessing banished him. Who knows.

Grey Mage

Grey Mage

++ ARCTOS CAELIFERUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 18,613 posts
Well... just out of curiosity, when did Angron become the size of a titan?

The_son_of_Dorn

The_son_of_Dorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 915 posts

even Khorne isnt betrayed as that big
Ever seen Matt Ward and Satan in the same room together?..............just saying,,,,,,,,,,,,,think about it

Elric the Silvercoat

Elric the Silvercoat

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,120 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sons of Orion

even Khorne isnt betrayed as that big

Khorne is only twice the size of a bloodthrister or at least twice the size of Skarbrand, which was a big bloodthrister.

Edited by Elric the Silvercoat, 26 September 2011 - 08:12 PM.

For you that like Dark Eldar aswell as Space Marines.
~ THE DARK CITY, A Dark Eldar Dedicated Forum
QUOTE (The Emperor's Champion @ Sep 12 2011, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chronus in a Land Raider just screams "SHOOT ME!", and it's stupid hard to kill. Chronus in a super hard to kill Land Raider with a huge cannon on the front is like stabbing your opponent in the eye with psychological warfare. It's like they pretty much CAN'T ignore it.
QUOTE (Brother Nihm @ Sep 26 2011, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Elric the Silvercoat @ Sep 26 2011, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well it looks like we can convert people to the Loyalist side without trying. See other Chaos players! You are just practice. :P
We call it infiltrating the Loyalist camp. ;)

Furniture

Furniture

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 95 posts

He isn't. An'ggrath isn't Angron. An'ggrath is the strongest bloodthirster, not a daemon prince. He's huge, and is represented on the tabletop with that massive Forge World bloodthirster model. Also, he isn't as big as the bigger Titans, but he can compete in size with Warhounds (his model is about 9 inches tall with an 11 inch wingspan, where a Warhound Titan is maybe 10 and a half inches tall). And even though he isn't as big some of the larger Titans, he eats them in close combat. Seriously, if you ever see An'ggrath in an Apocalypse game, don't let him anywhere near your Titans, superheavies, and the like.

tylermenz

tylermenz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 67 posts
I may have to read the Imperial armor 7 again, but if I remember correctly it was in single combat with Hector Rex, and by single combat, I mean with (i believe) an entire company of Grey knights thrown into battle before him.

Also, I believe that when Anggranth was finally brought down the demonic invasion was already beginning to falter, weakening the demons ties to the mortal realm. It is important to remember that these heroic fights don't happen right when the demon lords are summoned. The demon lords generally don't fall until they are knee deep in the blood of their enemies, its not like they get one-punched as they step through the summoning portal.

Edited by tylermenz, 03 October 2011 - 01:15 PM.

Darkmagi

Darkmagi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 217 posts
Also Anggranth was fought inside if I remember correctly which negated his ability to fly.
Support the http://www.eternalcrusade.com Referral code: EC-ZR2GQB6Q7AENH
QUOTE (Marshal Sampson of Terra @ Dec 8 2011, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Bring a sword to a futuristic war with laser weapons, deamons, and magic. While they're laughing, kill them all."

lordibanner4.jpg

11th Company Dark Master

11th Company Dark Master

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,329 posts
  • Chapter Name: Angels of Shadow
I think An'ggrath was also on the way out anyway, his grip on reality was weakening if I can remember. I'll hunt down my book for clarification.

For anyone who wonders what to refer to me as: Just call me Cappy. You see my gamertag is Cpt_Reaper0232 and
all my friends just call me Cappy. Cheers.

Index Astartes: Angels of Shadow Also Check out my painting misadventures -> Angels of Shadow painting log...thing
Index Traitorous: Angels of Light
Storm Eagle "Umbra Angelus" datasheet
6th Edition Stats:
Angels of Shadow W:0 L:1 D:1
Steel Brethren W:1 L:2 D:0
Grey Knights W:0 L:1 D:0
Dark Eldar W:0 L:1 D:0

Valkyrion

Valkyrion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,455 posts
An'ggrath = shark. The Warp = water. I reckon I could kill a shark if I found one in a duck pond and had the appropriate tools, a shark so big and mean and powerful that it could barely move or breathe, had been there for weeks and had been stabbed and shot by loads of things before I even got there.

Put me in the ocean with the fully fit shark and...well...no.

Wolf Lord Fenrir

Wolf Lord Fenrir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 306 posts

Its the Matt Effect.

Can only agree. The Wardex Factor accounts for everything.
Super Friendly South West London gaming club. Meets Thursdays and plays anything & everything.

http://www.claphamwa...s.org.uk/Forum/

Iron Lord

Iron Lord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,065 posts
Actually, Siege of Vraks III considerably predates Ward's Grey Knights codex. And wasn't written by Ward, either.

Wolf Lord Fenrir

Wolf Lord Fenrir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 306 posts

Actually, Siege of Vraks III considerably predates Ward's Grey Knights codex. And wasn't written by Ward, either.

I still blame him.
Super Friendly South West London gaming club. Meets Thursdays and plays anything & everything.

http://www.claphamwa...s.org.uk/Forum/

Furniture

Furniture

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 95 posts

Well, he's become so infamous for characters like Draigo that it is only natural to call similar effects by his name. After all, somebody who had diabetes in ancient Greece still had diabetes, even though the condition had not been named yet.

Furyou Miko

Furyou Miko

++ PROPUGNATRIX REGNUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,226 posts
  • Chapter Name: Order of the Sacred Tome (SoB)
Meh, An'grath's not that tough. I killed him with a vortex grenade and a woman with a stick (Saint Celestine). :)

Admittedly, old Celestine, with the Strength 7, 2++ save and comes-back-to-life-on-a-Ld-check.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

There is no knowledge
that is not power.
Power corrupts.
Ignorance is Innocence.

Just call me Miko.
Sisters in 7th: W2 L0 D0

Tzeentch: Change you can believe in.

Roesor

Roesor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,852 posts
I've only faced him once. I charged him with a Crusader squad. The fact they were slaughtered is immaterial. (Actually around a half dozen survived thanks to him being gargantuan and flying away next turn? :tu:. o.O)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)