Dornian Heresy True Scale Thousand Sons

So first and foremost, the idea for this army is shamelessly stolen from army310's WIP thread, which is found

HERE

Secondly, I have a condition I call Hobby ADD, so progress will be a roller-coaster ride of productivity and inaction.

So being a goody, goody Emperor loving loyalist I haven't ever considered collectiong a Chaos army, but have always like the Thousand Sons style. This was bolstered even more by the Horus Heresy books, A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns. At this stage I was considering a Pre-Heresy army, so I scoured eBay and secured the awesome Sorcerer Lord (read Magnus) mini

gallery_48988_6211_726659.jpg

gallery_48988_6211_42497.jpg

gallery_48988_6211_42176.jpg

Then I discovered the afore-mentioned thread of army310 and the idea of a counts-as Grey Knights army sounded really cool, so I decided to go for it. I then searched eBay to locate the "Egyptian" styled conversion bits and take it from there. This brings us to now. I need the opinions and ideas of all of the great modellers and converters here on the B&C.

Having recieved the Egyptian SM parts, imo, there seems to be alot of "eye" type markings of which I'm unsure about, so I've mocked up two leg/torso varients, the first uses the Egyption torso, TS'd in the usual way, and the second uses GK termi torso's with the rear vents cleaned of. Construction time-wise they were both quick and easy and came together in the same amount of time, with a similar ease of construction. I like both mini's and am having a hard time making a decision.

So here's the GK termi version

gallery_48988_6211_150063.jpg

gallery_48988_6211_635325.jpg

gallery_48988_6211_192013.jpg

...and the Egyption torso version

gallery_48988_6211_527455.jpg

gallery_48988_6211_830589.jpg

gallery_48988_6211_793587.jpg

This guys are pre-GS (besides the spacer-blob in the torso), so the legs will be filled, a belt added, these are purely for making a decision.

(... the astute of you will have caught the GS-filled eyes, as the DH TS's are all soul-bound, they cover the helm lenses)

Opinions? GK or Egyption torso's?

EDIT:

Almost forgot, the obligatory scale photo,

gallery_48988_6211_456400.jpg

Magnus=>TS Marine=>GW Marine.

END EDIT

Cheers,

Jono

P.S. If True Scale is your bag baby, head over to my other WIP in the Dark Angels sub-forum, found HERE

Wow so many constructive comments :D

I personally like the GK torso version better, as the other one looks less bulky and makes the head, arms, legs and especially the backpack look a tad too large and out of scale.

The pose itself is great, and I'm really digging the extra armor plate on the left wrist, which is a nice little detail I am so gonna steal for one of my Chaos Sorcerors :wacko:

Secondly, I have a condition I call Hobby ADD, so progress will be a roller-coaster ride of productivity and inaction.

I really think I have this too. Nice to know it has a medical sounding name lol.

I'm curious to know who made your "magnus" figure.

Also I think the GK torso looks slightly better than the egyptian one.

However you could still throw some of those in for some change

Good luck

I think the egyptian torso as well. If you do them as pre-heresy then the Eye of Terra, not Horus, would be present on their armour so no biggie with that in the armour, IMO. It could also be the Eye of Magnus, if you want to call it that, tough not canon it is still not at all far-fetched that the TS would have that as inconography.

And also, true scale, pre heresy armies are they way to model Warhammer =) I am soon done with my Alpha Legion, true scaled, in pre heresy armour marks and colours =)

- Natanael

i see these parts show up a lot , but where exactly do you find them ? i trawl ebay a lot and never see anything like these :s

I was wondering the same thing, is it tomb kings stuff? Molds?

i see these parts show up a lot , but where exactly do you find them ? i trawl ebay a lot and never see anything like these :s

I was wondering the same thing, is it tomb kings stuff? Molds?

Hey guys they are from irina_est on eBay, they're item name is "Egypt Style Galactic Knights Conversion Pack".

gallery_48988_6211_823.jpg

They are a little on the pricey side ($50AU) but the quality is there, I didn't have any miscasts or bubbles, and be quick they sell fast.

EDIT:

Forgot to add, there are new termi versions available

gallery_48988_6211_14152.jpg

END EDIT pt1

Magnus is from mrs-velard on eBay and is titled "Socerer Lord", week to week varies in what is available, but I have also picked up Horus, Mortarion, Gulliman, Dorn, Russ, El Johnson, Angron, Custode Valdor....I think thats all of them, and they're resonably priced at $25AU, cast in resin, again I am yet to find a single air bubble or serious miscast.

On the decission making front, i think I'm gunna go with the Egyption Torsos for two reasons, 1. It seems wastely to have spent money on them and not use them, 2. I can't bulk out the waist as much as I want to (i usually go OTT with pouches, grenades, knives etc on all my marines).

In regards to the large amount of eye's, I'll try removing some without ruining the pieces, I'll see how I go.

I'm still waiting on my GK dex, but I'm considering using the GK torso's for elite (paladin?) units.

EDIT 2:

I've purchased this mini from eBay to convert into my Dread Knights

gallery_48988_6211_9879.jpg

END EDIT pt2

Cheers,

Jono

May the Emperor smile upon this day.

I always wanted to do a pre-heresy thousand sons army, but Dornian Heresy? Even better.

These models look great, and the terminators look.. Fierce, beyond that even.

It would be hard choice to paint either those terminators or a box of space hulk miniatures, and im a blood angels player :confused:

Cant wait to see them painted,

May the Emperor smile upon this day.

I always wanted to do a pre-heresy thousand sons army, but Dornian Heresy? Even better.

These models look great, and the terminators look.. Fierce, beyond that even.

It would be hard choice to paint either those terminators or a box of space hulk miniatures, and im a blood angels player :confused:

Cant wait to see them painted,

So after an hour or so with a sharp hobby knife and a little care, I managed to clear up the excessive amount of eye's on all of the torso's and most of the shoulder pads, the following six are, imo, deemed a write off

gallery_48988_6211_210432.jpg

first one in with a PM can have these AS A GIFT, I don't even want postage.

Cheers,

Jono

EDIT: 100th Post WOOT WOOT :END EDIT

Hey man. I would say most of those pads are salvagable. Thers nothing saying the Dornian Herasy TS wouldn't have eyes on their armour. The only one I would really be getting rid og the the dirty-great chaos star. All the rest just look like various hiroglyphs and such.

Still, if you're wanting to give them away, I'll take em, hehe. Even live in the same country so cheap postage

Wow, more progress, I haven't been this motivated hobby wise since, well the mid 90's.....

Marine #5

gallery_48988_6211_923229.jpg

Justicar

gallery_48988_6211_13303.jpg

Family photo!!!

gallery_48988_6211_218957.jpg

So these guys are tacked together for posing purposes and need most of their GS work.

C&C as always,

Jono

Archived