Summer's Advance 2011

MaveriK

Pledge completed. wooo

I rigged up a make-shift studio with some grease-proof paper, but I couldn't work out how to adjust the white balance and aperture speed on the camera and I quickly lost patience with trying. Ditto on the post-processing, so all I did is a pass with the automatic hue/saturation balance.

The painting didn't go as well as I'd have liked it to - I obviously need to up my rate from two figures a year if I'm going to get any better - also I've noticed some areas that need touching up.

Still, I'm broadly happy with the result.

gallery_28868_1452_617291.png

Here is him next to the guy I did last time, whose armour and style I was trying to match. (albeit less ornate)

gallery_28868_1452_1006554.png

The 'eyeless' painting worked on the first model, but not so much on the new guy. Looking at the two of them together I think I'm going to want to extend them to a trio for balance, (probably wait for the next call of whatever) so I'll do any final fixing then. I've had to resculpt two of the fingers on the first guy (they'd fallen off at some point and I hadn't even noticed. Luckily it was the curled ones) and I played around with the metallics and colours on his sword when painting the new guy, so it'd hardly be a precedent.

Niiiice. :)

Mind if I ask what you used in there?

Cheers.

I think I've still got a good idea of the parts I used. All the rivets are from the grandt line, I forget which sizes:

• Backpack - regular backpack with the top removed under the vents and then 'sawn' down the middle with a needle file to make it narrower. A melta bomb was then used for the top bit, and the vents are just rolled putty. small rectangle of plasticard was added for detail.
  • Head - Plastic Catachan Jungle fighter head with all the trimmings removed and narrowed slightly. Hair and neck bits then sculpted on.
  • Torso - classic plastic mk. VIII embellished with rivets. The belt buckle is the hanging terminator honours bit from the plastic terminators, with the top and bottom parts of the cross removed. The rest of the belt is just plasticard strips. The hip plates are direct casts from a plastic terminator, because it seemed a stupid thing to ruin a pair of legs for.
  • Legs - normal pair of plastic legs
  • arms - normal pair of arms, with the 'cuff' removed and then resculpted.
  • sword: one of the plastic power swords cut down to size because they're massive. Luckily there was just enough handle poking out the bottom of the hand once it was removed, although I did have to sculpt the part 'hidden' by the hand. The scabbard and fixing was then built around it. The straps are simple recasts from the sheathed scout knife, but some of the larger bike pouches and other scout bits have similar fastenings to it if that's what you're after, so there is no need to hunt down that particular bit.
  • Combi-weapon - Main body is from a standard bolter. Stock is a chunk of plasticard with the heel from a plasma gun. The 'plasma bit' in front of the trigger is also from a plasma gun. The bolter muzzle is from a scout pistol and the clip section is from a regular bolt-pistol (The scout pistol has the clip coming directly off of the casing, and I wanted the 'metal' portion to connect backwards and extend down like on a normal bolter.) The plasma barrel and nose are both from a plasma pistol. I cut underneath the tubing section to make it shorter. I'm not sure if the front sight came from a bolter or a bolt pistol, but if I had to put money on it I'd say pistol. Finally the scope is off a scout pistol; I bought a load of these from the warstore* a while back for this express purpose, because the regular tactical marine scope (albeit longer) was really expensive, but nobody seemed to want CCW scout arms at all. Also, this way you get a load of other useful bits with it. Of course now the secret is out everyone'll do it and the price will rise. bah.

*I wouldn't use them now, because I have no use for the knives and warstore sell them as a set, but back then they were the only game in town.

I must be getting old. I thought someone else had posted that until I went back and checked.

What was the model, again?

:)

EDIT: Perhaps it's the one that I was just looking at in the top of your post. I think I need to whack my head against something some more.

:tu: :D

LOL I have less then 24hrs to complete my vow. It's currently 1:54 AM

Tell me about it Mav!!

Hey do I need my vow in by midnight tonight (Sunday), or by midnight tomorrow night??

Thanks!!

End of Line

Midnight on the 1st is the deadline, I guess I still have time. LOL

gallery_28868_1452_1006554.png

wow, those two are beautiful! I almost want to say that they are more Wolf blade than Wolf Guard. Only because they look far more civilized, groomed, polished and elegant.

It's more of a compliment really, as I'm working on fluff with some Wolf Blades in my army fluff. I'm trying to bring the honor back to the Wolf Blades.. were they are currently viewed as outcast, rebels and bodyguards. Kinda similar to the Night's Watch, in The Song of Fire and Ice series. The Night's Watch was once an honorable role, but is now currently degenerated to rapers, thieves and criminals in the kingdom of Westeros. My fluff will have a SW trying to bring back honor to the Wolf Blades, explaining the deep friendship between the navigator house and the roles as the eyes and ears of the Rout. Just as there must always be a great company on Fenris, there must also always be a wolf on Holy Terra. Sorry about the rant ahaha.

Well, after busting my ass all day long finishing the details on my last models I cannot find the GOD-DAMN-CAMERA-BATTERY-CHARGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*!!!!!!!!NERD RAGE!!!!!!!!*

I have been frantically looking all over the house for it, and my wife says she may have left it at her folks place a hundred miles away... :o :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss

My vow is complete brothers, and once I find that charger (and strangle it), I will post the completed pack and their Wolf Priest.

End of Line

Midnight on the 1st is the deadline, I guess I still have time. LOL

lol, now do I stay awake all day to complete my vow, or get enough sleep to still be able to work tonight?

Oh well, at least it's part of my GC closer to being finished :cuss

oath completed.. took me awhile to finish it.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa241/syamael/Marauder%20in%20progress/IMG-20110730-00081.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa241/syamael/Marauder%20in%20progress/IMG-20110730-00083-1.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa241/syamael/Marauder%20in%20progress/IMG-20110730-00087.jpg

Cheer brothers

I can't wait to do the next one of these. Everyone's came out so good! And it's awesome motivation.

so I'm gonna assume your done your vow? sorry, I just went with what you said...

I, Wulfebane, pledge an oath to complete a 5-man Wolf Scout pack with WG Pack Leader (Jormungandr Two-blade aka MaveriK tribute) by August 1st, 2011.

seeing as you have a different WG Pack Leader in your finished piece.

Argh, I'd forgotten to submit an edit to that. When I found out I was going to be out of town for a few weeks, I didn't want to rush the conversion on Two-Blade and went with a MotW WGPL, I just apparently didn't relay that here. Oh well... atleast I have finished scouts for my army.

Argh, I'd forgotten to submit an edit to that. When I found out I was going to be out of town for a few weeks, I didn't want to rush the conversion on Two-Blade and went with a MotW WGPL, I just apparently didn't relay that here. Oh well... atleast I have finished scouts for my army.

not a huge deal, but I'm just like you with the details, even the little ones matter. I guess I should have asked sooner, especially when you posted your WIP post. But I've been away from the board and busy with work, and then Comic-Con happened. All I know is, when you posted your vow, it had "This post has been edited by Wulfebane: Jun 11 2011, 09:23 AM" and then, seven days later you had your WIP stuff posted.

Ok, putting up my first WIP pics for my Wolf Scout pack.

gallery_59676_5870_1978720.jpg

gallery_59676_5870_50883.jpg

gallery_59676_5870_189424.jpg

gallery_59676_5870_2122347.jpg

To be honest didn't think anything about it since it only said "Wolf Scout Pack" and I knew about your Two-Blade conversion. So I figured it was going to be posted later-on separately. And then I read your post today :huh: which made me want to ask, for clarification. Like I said, it's not a big deal and it's not my call. Nor am I the one to enforce it. We are the sons of Russ, we live and post by the honor system after-all.

as for my vow..... I still have a few hours, I only have to work on the wolf pelt cape and I should be good. Cutting it close though! hahahahahaha

So I took some pictures with my :cussty phone camera, texted them to a friend who then emailed them to me... I'll post better pictures once the elusive charger is usurped!!

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac194/Khyron666/download-1.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac194/Khyron666/download-2.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac194/Khyron666/download.jpg

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac194/Khyron666/download-3.jpg

End of Line

I am glad I don't try these anymore. I didn't feel like touching my wolf standard bearer this weekend and not sure if I want to when I get home. Just tired and gonna chill probably. Also I still need to get a stencil cut for my standard.

Archived