Summer's Advance 2011

MaveriK

Ok, 6 Grey Hunters, Arjac, Rune Priest in TDA

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x84/red_starrise/40K/Wolves/CIMG4995.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x84/red_starrise/40K/Wolves/CIMG4994.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x84/red_starrise/40K/Wolves/CIMG4996.jpg

@ rune priest rhapsody all my pix are with my phone and u are right they do not always come out great.

I thought your pics came out great Chef!! My phone is just shy of five years old now, and it takes some of the worst pictures this side of the Mississippi.

We have decided to buy a new charger today, so I will have nice detailed photos up soon!!

Nice work everybody!! Ales all around!!

End of Line

Well I have failed. As I forgot to take pictures last night when I got home from work. All painted but due to coming home from work late i totaly forgot to take pictures of them. Hell no excuses. I Have failed this challenge but will still post them up later tonight if I remember by the time i get home.

As for those that completed the Challenge congrats brothers.

I am shamed my brothers. I thought this would motivate me to paint but even such a great honour as this could not make me lift a brush. Instead I spent my time building more grey hunters and vanilla marines.

wow, those two are beautiful! I almost want to say that they are more Wolf blade than Wolf Guard. Only because they look far more civilized, groomed, polished and elegant.

Cheers. I certainly know what you mean about their not really looking like wolf guard, and it's not completely by accident. My 'main' space wolf project is the true-scale guys I've been working on for the best part of forever, and they're nearing completion now so I'm having to think about the design direction for the force as a whole. I've been leaning towards a pragmatic/utilitarian approach for them, so heavy on pouches and light on ornamentation/dangly bits but I'm slightly worried they won't 'read' as Space Wolves, especially as I won' be using Ragnar's company badge, so I've been using these pledges as an opportunity to work out what the essential visual elements are.

The new guy is an incredibly generic sculpt; it'd look fine in just about any marine army, and yet it almost works here. I think a darker and less blue grey coupled with a nice big company badge (the scaled-up shoulder pads are massive) and an obviously wolfy head should be enough.

And weathering, lots of weathering. I don't think any of us really expect the wolves to be clean.

It's more of a compliment really, as I'm working on fluff with some Wolf Blades in my army fluff. I'm trying to bring the honor back to the Wolf Blades.. were they are currently viewed as outcast, rebels and bodyguards. Kinda similar to the Night's Watch, in The Song of Fire and Ice series. The Night's Watch was once an honorable role, but is now currently degenerated to rapers, thieves and criminals in the kingdom of Westeros. My fluff will have a SW trying to bring back honor to the Wolf Blades, explaining the deep friendship between the navigator house and the roles as the eyes and ears of the Rout. Just as there must always be a great company on Fenris, there must also always be a wolf on Holy Terra. Sorry about the rant ahaha.

I get where you're coming from. As the threat from the North becomes less urgent/likely, the Nightwatch is naturally seen as less necessary and hence less deserving of prime resources and prestige.

The Wolf blade was probably formed with the best and brightest; cementing important bonds of friendship vital to the rout etc.. but as the years went by it became increasing unlikely that the navigator house would abandon the wolves and so sending the best was not only unnecessary, it was weakening the wolves by taking their greatest warriors off the battlefield. Couple that with the importance placed on performing great deeds of personal valour and you can see why a posting with no/few opportunities to do so would be less than desirable.

Just got back from travels after a delay and have internet but now a clumsy relative broke my camera after it survived thirty days abroad. Will have pics of my finished (on time) Wolf Guard Battle Leader when I can pick up a new camera this week.

It's more of a compliment really, as I'm working on fluff with some Wolf Blades in my army fluff. I'm trying to bring the honor back to the Wolf Blades.. were they are currently viewed as outcast, rebels and bodyguards. Kinda similar to the Night's Watch, in The Song of Fire and Ice series. The Night's Watch was once an honorable role, but is now currently degenerated to rapers, thieves and criminals in the kingdom of Westeros. My fluff will have a SW trying to bring back honor to the Wolf Blades, explaining the deep friendship between the navigator house and the roles as the eyes and ears of the Rout. Just as there must always be a great company on Fenris, there must also always be a wolf on Holy Terra. Sorry about the rant ahaha.

I get where you're coming from. As the threat from the North becomes less urgent/likely, the Nightwatch is naturally seen as less necessary and hence less deserving of prime resources and prestige.

The Wolf blade was probably formed with the best and brightest; cementing important bonds of friendship vital to the rout etc.. but as the years went by it became increasing unlikely that the navigator house would abandon the wolves and so sending the best was not only unnecessary, it was weakening the wolves by taking their greatest warriors off the battlefield. Couple that with the importance placed on performing great deeds of personal valour and you can see why a posting with no/few opportunities to do so would be less than desirable.

Sorry for going a bit OT here, but I disagree with that.

I think that the Wolf Blade has the dual purpose now of cementing the bond between House Belisarius(sp?) and the wolves, as well as giving potential high ranking wolves a taste of terran politics.

Both Ragnar and Logan spent time as Wolf Blades, and I got the impression from the Ragnar books that he was sent there specifically to broaden his mind in a way the other wolves didn't and to learn more.

Similar to how Iron Priests are sent to Mars to learn their craft.

Sure, some are sent their to be rid of, but I think it is seen by the high ranking wolves as another proving ground.

Similar to being fast tracked through to Officer's school IRL...

I don't think the fat one was sent to House Belarius to be, "groomed" for Wolf Lord.

do you mean Haegar?

if so i think he was sent so he wouldnt eat all of the wolves food and drink all the ale :tu:

Finally got a new camera but still have to fix up the settings properly. For now a few (not fantastic) pics of my finished Wolf Guard Battle Leader model... finally.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/Vash113/Space%20Wolves/P8170008-1.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/Vash113/Space%20Wolves/P8170007-1.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/Vash113/Space%20Wolves/P8170006-1.jpg

Argh, I'd forgotten to submit an edit to that. When I found out I was going to be out of town for a few weeks, I didn't want to rush the conversion on Two-Blade and went with a MotW WGPL, I just apparently didn't relay that here. Oh well... atleast I have finished scouts for my army.

LMAO, so you ended up claiming your prize anyway, after removing it. Make up your mind!

--edit--

I'm gonna call you out on the next solo brawl

I removed it because I thought it was decided I didn't make my vow (despite my edited vow) but then Mav said he was ok with the change (or atleast that it wasn't a big deal), and Max never spoke up, so ... >.>

Edit - If I'm wrong in my assumption, I'll remove it.

I removed it because I thought it was decided I didn't make my vow (despite my edited vow) but then Mav said he was ok with the change (or atleast that it wasn't a big deal), and Max never spoke up, so ... >.>

If it wasn't a big deal then I should also have one for myself!!! even if I didn't make a vow, since it's not a big deal and not everyone follows the rules or reads the comments or rules on the deadlines and such. Or those two people who had their vow finished in time but didn't have a camera ready by the deadline. I don't see them with a prize! the way I read it was more of an honor system. It's not up to those two (Mav or Max) to decide who and who doesn't. False assumptions can lead to great downfall.. so I'm gonna try and not do so here. But I think yours should read (despite my unedited vow) instead. I didn't read exactly what Mav said, but sometimes I forget he's a psychologist by profession. Sometimes I think everything he does here at the Fang is an social experiment :wacko:

If it wasn't a big deal then I should also have one for myself!!! even if I didn't make a vow, since it's not a big deal and not everyone follows the rules or reads the comments or rules on the deadlines and such. Or those two people who had their vow finished in time but didn't have a camera ready by the deadline. I don't see them with a prize! the way I read it was more of an honor system. It's not up to those two (Mav or Max) to decide who and who doesn't. False assumptions can lead to great downfall.. so I'm gonna try and not do so here. But I think yours should read (despite my unedited vow) instead. I didn't read exactly what Mav said, but sometimes I forget he's a psychologist by profession. Sometimes I think everything he does here at the Fang is an social experiment :wacko:

LMAO, let me put it this way.... Max and I may not be able to "enforce" it, but people here know who truly earned it! and who didn't. We all know, who worked hard and we can have our own personal opinions on those who bent the rules a little to cheat their way to the prize. And that should be enough for most of us. The next pack expansion will be held in November, in time for the winter.

Archived